Gift ideas

Started by Harmony, August 22, 2023, 06:52:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stadler

Quote from: Harmony on August 27, 2023, 04:54:18 PM
So I'm starting to think the best gift for him is going to be a Nintendo gift card.

I tried to talk to him about some Zelda merch and he was shooting down a lot of my ideas - which is fine, I don't want to buy anything he won't wear/use.

In my mind, gift cards feel kind of like zero effort was put in.  But I honestly believe he'll love it and he can spend it however he wants.

Thanks all for the help.  So much appreciated.   :heart

I KNOW you know this, so I'm more sharing this for the group, but that is really in the eye of the beholder.  My step son - on the spectrum - doesn't give a rat's ass about the "effort" I put in for his gifts in the sense that you and I would.  It's a long-ish story, but my first date with my wife was a dinner; we were so engaged in our conversation, we never even ordered DRINKS. We sat there for two and a half hours talking and all we had were the waters they served us when we sat down.  For our first anniversary I went over to the restaurant and bartered with one of the servers to "steal" two water glasses and that was my gift.  Very proud of that.  My step son was "what a lame gift.  Water glasses? She uses a water bottle."   I explained it and all he could say was "but she uses a water bottle".  Very literal.   He understood it but it meant nothing to him.   

Gift cards are the same thing.  He doesn't care beyond what he can buy from them.

TAC

Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Lonk

I hate the pressure around this time of the year to find the perfect gift for people.

That is all :)

lonestar

So thankful my kid is a massive geek...this year I'm procuring for her Secret Wars 1-12...I got 11 of them, just need to buy the big one, #8.
Quote from: Stadler on January 20, 2022, 12:15:29 PMLonestar, speaking wise.  :)

#Stadler/Hunnus2024

Lonk

That's pretty cool, do you buy them online or at a local Comic book store?

lordxizor

Quote from: Vmadera00 on December 01, 2023, 11:39:02 AM
I hate the pressure around this time of the year to find the perfect gift for people.

That is all :)
Same. I've seriously whittled down the list of people I buy for over the years to make it somewhat easier.

lonestar

Quote from: Vmadera00 on December 01, 2023, 11:54:37 AM

I'm snagging them through ebay. I was at a con last weekend, and the pricing was to my surprise much higher than online. I'd imagine quality was a bit better, but unless they're graded I can't tell the difference lol. Some of the ones they were trying to get 40 for I've found for 10-20, and #8 was average over 400 at the con, whereas most of the pricing on ebay stays under 250 unless they're graded fairly high.

For those unfamiliar, #8 is the first appearance of the Spidey black symbiote suit, it's the comic whose original art set the record for highest auction value comic art at something like 4 million.

Quote from: Stadler on January 20, 2022, 12:15:29 PMLonestar, speaking wise.  :)

#Stadler/Hunnus2024

King Postwhore

Power Windows Album for Tim, the audiophile. 
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

jingle.boy

Quote from: lonestar on December 01, 2023, 01:49:54 PM

I'm snagging them through ebay. I was at a con last weekend, and the pricing was to my surprise much higher than online. I'd imagine quality was a bit better, but unless they're graded I can't tell the difference lol. Some of the ones they were trying to get 40 for I've found for 10-20, and #8 was average over 400 at the con, whereas most of the pricing on ebay stays under 250 unless they're graded fairly high.

For those unfamiliar, #8 is the first appearance of the Spidey black symbiote suit, it's the comic whose original art set the record for highest auction value comic art at something like 4 million.

Fuck me ... I had the full run of both Secret Wars' from the 80s.  But an idiotic 17-year old me sold my entire comic book collection for $40 cuz I needed some cash (probably for dope), and I got completely fleeced.  Had some rarities in there too - all were in mint condition, wrapped in individual sleeves.
Quote from: TAC on July 31, 2021, 06:55:07 PMIf I can do it, it's idiot proof.
Quote from: Stadler on January 03, 2024, 09:00:00 AMThat's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
Quote from: hefdaddy42 on November 04, 2021, 05:14:36 AMI fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".

Cool Chris

The only gift I ever agonize over is whatever I get my dtf.org SS. I expend way too much emotion worrying if they are going to like it.

lonestar

Quote from: jingle.boy on December 01, 2023, 04:38:25 PM
Quote from: lonestar on December 01, 2023, 01:49:54 PM

Fuck me ... I had the full run of both Secret Wars' from the 80s.  But an idiotic 17-year old me sold my entire comic book collection for $40 cuz I needed some cash (probably for dope), and I got completely fleeced.  Had some rarities in there too - all were in mint condition, wrapped in individual sleeves.

I'm sure all us old farts have a similar story... I know I had a fairly sizeable baseball card collection that got abused at best.

#Stadler/Hunnus2024

Lonk

Quote from: Cool Chris on December 01, 2023, 05:30:58 PM

The only gift I ever agonize over is whatever I get my dtf.org SS. I expend way too much emotion worrying if they are going to like it.

I'm usually good with my mom and siblings but for some reason just have no idea this year.

The one I'm really struggling with is my SO. It's our anniversarya few days before Christmas so it's double the gifts  :mehlin

King Postwhore

My cousin still owns the original Secrets Wars comic book series.
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

jingle.boy

Quote from: King Postwhore on December 01, 2023, 05:53:37 PM
My cousin still owns the original Secrets Wars comic book series.

Now RJ knows where he can find one!
Quote from: TAC on July 31, 2021, 06:55:07 PMIf I can do it, it's idiot proof.
Quote from: Stadler on January 03, 2024, 09:00:00 AMThat's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
Quote from: hefdaddy42 on November 04, 2021, 05:14:36 AMI fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".

Stadler

Quote from: Vmadera00 on December 01, 2023, 05:51:54 PM

I'm usually good with my mom and siblings but for some reason just have no idea this year.

The one I'm really struggling with is my SO. It's our anniversarya few days before Christmas so it's double the gifts  :mehlin

Yeah, I'm sort of struggling this year too.  I need a low-dollar, high-emotional-impact gift and I'm kind of lost so far.  I've felt this way before, and it's always hit me at the last minute, but I'm not feeling confident this year.

TAC

Quote from: Stadler on December 04, 2023, 05:49:12 AM
Quote from: Vmadera00 on December 01, 2023, 05:51:54 PM

Yeah, I'm sort of struggling this year too.  I need a low-dollar, high-emotional-impact gift and I'm kind of lost so far.  I've felt this way before, and it's always hit me at the last minute, but I'm not feeling confident this year.

Yup. I'd even settle for a high dollar low emotional impact, but I'm drawing a blank this year.
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol