News:

Welcome back, Mike Portnoy!

Main Menu

Gift ideas

Started by Harmony, August 22, 2023, 06:52:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harmony

So I'm going to start this thread with a specific request but I hope it will morph into a space where anyone can ask for help with gift ideas.  We have more than a few smart and/or creative people here, right?

Ok, my nephews are turning 13 in a couple of weeks.  One of them is on the autism spectrum.  He likes all things related to logos, game shows, music (he has dozens of instruments), light up objects, and his iPad.  My other nephew is WAY into a computer game called Zelda.  He has an impressive collection of Pokeman cards.  He is very anxious about his body right now and wears baggy clothes/hoodies.  He told me he'd like to get an electric guitar but I think that is out of my price range.  LoL

We got a new weight bench recently and so I'm going to give him our old one (his dad has free weights) and teach him some basic dumbbell exercises.

But I am at a total loss as to what 13 year old boys are into these days.  Their dad keeps them very busy doing fun things in the community (they begrudgingly go and then have a great time).  I've asked my brother-in-law 10 thousand times what they'd like for their birthday.

Help?

XJDenton

Lego. Lego is always appreciated.
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it."
― Terry Pratchett

lordxizor

That's a tough age. They're mostly past the toy stage of life (except maybe for Lego). The things they want are getting expensive and often out of the range of a birthday gift from an aunt. My oldest son at 13 wanted a gopro to film stupid videos to post online, some of the more "grown up" Star Wars lego sets to display in his room, and mountain biking accessories. My second son will be 13 next year and is into sports stuff and making videos on his gopro as well. They always appreciate cash to put towards a larger thing they're saving for, but that's pretty impersonal. Good luck! Teenage boys are hard! 😂

cramx3

Quote from: lordxizor on August 23, 2023, 03:43:15 AM
some of the more "grown up" Star Wars lego sets to display in his room

These can be pricey, but I think it makes for a great gift.  Even at the age of 38 if someone got me one Id be super excited.

Stadler

If you're serious about his liking guitars, don't sleep on pawn shops.  You have to be diligent, but you can get a Squire Stratocaster (the budget line of Strat) for as little as $50 from the right store. 

My stepson is 15 and on the spectrum; trains were (and are) always a winner, Lego was always a winner (but seconded on them being EXPENSIVE, for certain sets) as well as the "simulator" video games (Farming Simulator, Train Simulator, and I think there was a flying one as well). 

Phoenix87x

As someone with autism myself, I have to say Lego is always appreciated. That was what my grandfather always got me and I spent hours building.

I always liked getting movies/music but I don't even know how to gift that in the digital/spotify age. I like to stare at things, so perhaps a lava lamp or blacklight as those were very sensory soothing and appealing to me as a kid (and now).

I'm not sure if at 13 he would like something this like this, but I really like stuff like

https://www.amazon.com/ENOKIK-Projector-Bluetooth-Speaker-Relaxation/dp/B0B9WBBK2S/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=galaxy%2Bprojector&qid=1692793561&sprefix=galaxy%2Bpro%2Caps%2C99&sr=8-8&th=1

For the guitar request, I actually just got one for one of my nephews. If there is a guitar center near you, they usually have used squier strats, which look like your typically guitar but is a beginner model which are around $100 or less used. His mom put up half and i put up half.

They also have very cool zelda t shirts which the zelda liking one may like.

Harmony

You guys are the best - thanks!

They have about a million Legos and I have bought them sets over the years.  My nephew on the spectrum doesn't really like Legos (strange, I know).

I love the idea about the pawn shop for a guitar and i will definitely head over to Guitar Center to see what they might have.  I'd be the best fucking aunt on the planet if I scored him a guitar.  LoL. My brother-in-law may have a different opinion.... :laugh:

Phoenix87x that bluetooth projection thingy would definitely be a hit.  I've already got that in my Amazon cart.

Thanks again so much guys.  Yeah 13 year old boys are difficult to buy for.  And Christmas is right around the corner!   :-\  :lol

bosk1

If he likes Zelda, you might just search on Amazon, Etsy, and similar places for Zelda-related stuff.  A lot of people out there make a lot of cool knockoff stuff and are very talented, so like the t-shirt above, you might find all kinds of cool things you wouldn't have otherwise thought of, like hoodies, waterbottles/hydroflasks, posters, etc.  For the other one, you might find similar things that are gameshow-related, or related to his other interests. 

Jamesman42

I have worked with 13-year-olds for the past 7 years and I still don't know what they like exactly. They like their phones and social media :lol

For the kid with music, do you think he would like a music stand? Not sure what he plays.

For the kid with Pokemon cards, they make nice books to keep your collection safe. Even if he has some, more are always welcome (I play mtg, and would welcome 10 more books for collecting lol).
\o\ lol /o/

King Postwhore

Legos but find out what he loves for movies.I bet he loves something you can buy.
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

Jamesman42

I also second Legos. I've been told by someone qualified that I might have slight autism or ADHD, and I do remember loving Legos at that age and creating some crazy stuff (90s Legos were the bomb).
\o\ lol /o/

cramx3

I'm kind of a quirky dude and my parents were told to abort me because I was supposed to be "special" so I always kind of just assumed I'm on the spectrum but I'm high functioning, just like I said, I'm a quirky dude.

Lego were amazing for me as a kid.  My mom STILL talks about it all the time how she would just give me a box of lego and I'd have something built in a few hours completely concentrated on it and "being a good quiet kid".  Interesting to read a few others here saying lego were big for them too in such a way. My mother always said I would be an engineer and I eventually did get an engineering degree.  I personally put a lot of that into my love of lego as a kid.

MinistroRaven

Quote from: Harmony on August 22, 2023, 06:52:29 PM
So I'm going to start this thread with a specific request but I hope it will morph into a space where anyone can ask for help with gift ideas.  We have more than a few smart and/or creative people here, right?

Ok, my nephews are turning 13 in a couple of weeks.  One of them is on the autism spectrum.  He likes all things related to logos, game shows, music (he has dozens of instruments), light up objects, and his iPad.  My other nephew is WAY into a computer game called Zelda.  He has an impressive collection of Pokeman cards.  He is very anxious about his body right now and wears baggy clothes/hoodies.  He told me he'd like to get an electric guitar but I think that is out of my price range.  LoL

We got a new weight bench recently and so I'm going to give him our old one (his dad has free weights) and teach him some basic dumbbell exercises.

But I am at a total loss as to what 13 year old boys are into these days.  Their dad keeps them very busy doing fun things in the community (they begrudgingly go and then have a great time).  I've asked my brother-in-law 10 thousand times what they'd like for their birthday.

Help?

Here's a list of gift ideas for both of your nephews:

**Nephew 1 (Autism Spectrum):**
1. Customized logo-themed merchandise (t-shirts, hats, etc.).
2. Puzzle games that stimulate his mind.
3. iTunes gift card to explore and purchase music on his iPad.
4. LED light strips or light-up gadgets for sensory stimulation.
5. Board games centered around game shows or trivia.
6. Musical instrument accessories or new sheet music for his instruments.
7. Noise-canceling headphones for a calming and focused environment.
8. Art supplies to encourage creative expression.
9. Subscription to a music streaming service.
10. A unique iPad case or stand with a cool design.

**Nephew 2 (Zelda & Pokeman Enthusiast):**
1. Zelda-themed merchandise (posters, clothing, etc.).
2. A Pokeman card binder or display case.
3. A set of high-quality Pokeman cards to add to his collection.
4. Nintendo eShop gift card for purchasing Zelda game content.
5. Cool hoodies or clothing related to his interests.
6. A strategy guide or art book for the Zelda game he loves.
7. Zelda-themed puzzles or brain teasers.
8. An assortment of baggy clothes or hoodies in his favorite colors.
9. Virtual reality headset for an immersive gaming experience.
10. A beginner's electric guitar starter kit (you never know, it might not be out of your price range after all!).

Happy gift hunting!

XJDenton

Quote from: Harmony on August 23, 2023, 07:40:47 AM
They have about a million Legos and I have bought them sets over the years.  My nephew on the spectrum doesn't really like Legos (strange, I know).

Not that strange. I can imagine for those on the ASD who need order/organisation or similar a load of unsorted stuff or easily breakable items could be severely stressful.

QuoteI love the idea about the pawn shop for a guitar and i will definitely head over to Guitar Center to see what they might have.  I'd be the best fucking aunt on the planet if I scored him a guitar.  LoL. My brother-in-law may have a different opinion.... :laugh:

Worth checking the classifieds/Facebook marketplace as well. Plenty of people who start and then give up after a while.
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it."
― Terry Pratchett

gmillerdrake

My 13 year old is really into Zelda as well. He has several Zelda tee shirts and we also bought him that flute....or they call it the 'Ocarina'. He's musically inclined so he enjoys playing it.

https://www.amazon.com/TOTMC-Ocarina-Triforce-Mediant-Textbook/dp/B00MUFJXTM/ref=asc_df_B00MUFJXTM?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=79920803409795&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583520382628971&th=1

Harmony

Thanks again, y'all.  I think I've got the birthday and Christmas presents nailed down quite nicely now.   :tup

TAC

Quote from: gmillerdrake on August 24, 2023, 07:28:20 AM
My 13 year old is really into Zelda as well. He has several Zelda tee shirts and we also bought him that flute....or they call it the 'Ocarina'. He's musically inclined so he enjoys playing it.

https://www.amazon.com/TOTMC-Ocarina-Triforce-Mediant-Textbook/dp/B00MUFJXTM/ref=asc_df_B00MUFJXTM?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=79920803409795&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583520382628971&th=1

:lol

We bought my stepson the Ocarina when he was a kid. We thought it would be the coolest idea, but he never touched it. :lol

My youngest had the Zelda shirt that was posted.
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Harmony

Ok, I'm going to just ask because I don't play video games.  I know I could probably just Google search this but what is this Zelda game about?

He's super jazzed about it and talks about it all the time.  But half the time when he talks about his games I don't know WTF he's talking about and so I just smile and ask some basic questions.

My brain is missing the video game gene.  Even as a Gen X - I never caught the bug.  Not with PacMan, not with Atari.  It may be because I get motion sick pretty easily and some of those games can make me nauseated while watching the screen.  IDK

TAC

Quote from: Harmony on August 24, 2023, 02:39:59 PM

My brain is missing the video game gene.  Even as a Gen X - I never caught the bug.  Not with PacMan, not with Atari.

Neither did I. I think we're close in age so we were probably exposed to it about the same time. I just never got it and never found it fun.
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Jamesman42

Ok, I'm going to just ask because I don't play video games.  I know I could probably just Google search this but what is this Zelda game about?

He's super jazzed about it and talks about it all the time.  But half the time when he talks about his games I don't know WTF he's talking about and so I just smile and ask some basic questions.

My brain is missing the video game gene.  Even as a Gen X - I never caught the bug.  Not with PacMan, not with Atari.  It may be because I get motion sick pretty easily and some of those games can make me nauseated while watching the screen.  IDK

I don't know what version he is playing (and I last played a bit of Ocarina of Time back in 2002 or so), but it's a game where you move the character across different places and gather items and fight people/monsters (I honestly forget what you fight in Zelda). A lot of exploring and trying to find what items you need to progress your way to different levels. Zelda involves some use of magic as well to help advance your progress.

\o\ lol /o/

Harmony

Quote from: Jamesman42 on August 24, 2023, 04:09:02 PM

I don't know what version he is playing (and I last played a bit of Ocarina of Time back in 2002 or so), but it's a game where you move the character across different places and gather items and fight people/monsters (I honestly forget what you fight in Zelda). A lot of exploring and trying to find what items you need to progress your way to different levels. Zelda involves some use of magic as well to help advance your progress.

Oh really?  I thought this was like a brand new thing.   :laugh:

I wonder how many versions there are?  I will get more info...probably more than I want.  LoL

Harmony

Ok so apparently he has Tears of the Kingdom.  But he says he doesn't have the right console for the other games and his storage is all full.

IDK what this means but it sounds expensive.

Harmony

Jamesman42

Quote from: Harmony on August 24, 2023, 04:24:08 PM
Quote from: Jamesman42 on August 24, 2023, 04:09:02 PM

Oh really?  I thought this was like a brand new thing.   :laugh:

I wonder how many versions there are?  I will get more info...probably more than I want.  LoL

I just learned the game is about as old as I am - 37 years old!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Zelda
\o\ lol /o/

Stadler

I remember playing (and loving) Zelda back on my Nintendo NES back when I was in college.  I played that and the sequel but haven't touched it since (the chronology, for me, is a little hard to follow).

bosk1

Quote from: Harmony on August 24, 2023, 04:32:46 PM
Ok so apparently he has Tears of the Kingdom.  But he says he doesn't have the right console for the other games and his storage is all full.

IDK what this means but it sounds expensive.

My daughter is playing the version prior to that, but they are similar.  To add to what James said, it's an "open world" game where you are ultimately on a quest to defeat the ultimate bad guy and his minions.  You play the main character, Link, and he discovers various different allies, enemies, and neutral characters as he explores the world, collects items, defeats enemies, and gains experience.  "Open world" means that the game is set in a really big world that has many, many different areas you can explore, and you chose where to go and when, rather than it being a linear story that forces you to do things and visit places in a certain order.  You basically roam about a small continent and go where you want as you look for things and solve puzzles and quests.  The detail is pretty incredible.  For instance, there is a running clock, so as you play, it progresses through daylight/night cycles, and different things happen during different cycles.  There are different weather cycles and climates that impact the game play as well.  For instance, on sunny, clear days, you can climb a mountain, tower, or structure and see long distances.  But during foggy weather (or sandstorms, if you are in desert areas), visibility is reduced, sometimes significantly depending on the conditions.  During rain, you cannot climb things because it is too slippery.  When it gets cold, you have to put on warmer armor or clothes, and during extreme heat (desert and jungle areas), you have to put on heat-resistant armor or clothes.  There are also lots of cool sonic details that make it even more immersive.  For instance, if you are in a forest area at night, you might intermittently hear an own hooting in the distance, or crickets chirping, or other sounds you would expect to hear in an actual forest at night.  When you are in snowfields in the high mountains, you hear the wind howling and the snow crunching under Link's feet as he walks or runs.  When is is near a pond, you hear frogs croaking, and hear the water splashing if he walks through shallow water.  Add to that, there is a subtle musical score playing that also changes based on your environment and other factors.  There's really a lot to it, and it is very customizable based on a particular player's interests, skill, and other factors.  It's quite involved, but hopefully that explanation helps so you can at least have a conversation about it and at least somewhat understand what he is telling you.

EDIT:  I know so much because she has been playing for awhile, and she constantly asked me for a long time to play as well.  I kept telling her I didn't have time for something so involved.  Just didn't have the time to learn it.  But I sat with her a few times and watched her play because she wanted me to.  And it was like watching a movie.  She eventually got met to play a bit, and she would help me by offering advice on where to go, and how to respond to different game situations as they arose.  Since it's something she is really into right now, I figure it's a good investment of time since we get to do it together, and I can now talk intelligently about something she really likes.

hefdaddy42

Zelda has been around forever.
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Harmony

Thanks bosk (and all) that is helpful.  I'm definitely going to have him show me the game when I go over next.  He said that he made it all the way through the game and made it sound like he can't go any further.  He said if he starts over, he'll lose his progress (the game doesn't store data?) so he makes it sound like he can't play it now.

Is that how these games work so that you buy more and more?  I guess I always envisioned ongoing adventures for as long as you want.

bosk1

Well, it DOES store data/progress.  But once you beat the final boss, the game ends and you can't really backtrack.  But if I am understanding what you are saying, there are at least two different things he can still do:

1.  If he saved the game at earlier points, he should be able to go back to some of those saves and pick up the game from those points.

2.  He can create a new profile (which takes about 30 second) and then start a new game under that profile.  That won't cause him to "lose" what he did on the first one.

For option #2, I think he's saying he doesn't want to do that because he will be starting back from square on.  But I know people play the game different ways, and many often play it several times over on different profiles to get different experiences.  For example, someone may play it the first time through to try to explore and learn, and as they level up, the go find and fight the next bad guy, and so on, until they fight the final boss and "complete" the game.  But that first time through, you are still learning and miss a lot of stuff that is fun to explore.  So people will often then go back and start over and take more of a completionist approach and try to explore things they didn't find the first time, whether it is completing other side quests, exploring areas of the map they may have missed, finding other items them missed, and so on.  I think my daughter is on her third play-through on her third separate profile.  And she is basically doing a fourth by having me start the game and watching/helping me through it.

I know there are also sort of "expansions" you can buy for the game that give extra side quests, extra items, and such.  Not sure exactly how that works as far as where/how to get them, and all that, but you can probably Google something like "Tears of the Kingdom expansions" to find out.

Jamesman42

I am very behind on video games, that is some incredible detailed you described, boskdaddy.
\o\ lol /o/

Cool Chris

I incorporated 15-30 minutes of Tears of the Kingdom in to my bedtime routine with my 5 year old. It is a great bonding activity for us. We snuggle up in bed, and while I play she helps me find items and solve puzzles. She will on occasion find solutions to shrines before I do. It is so fun to see her get engaged with the story and the characters, and provide legit help to me along the way.

Harmony

So I'm starting to think the best gift for him is going to be a Nintendo gift card.

I tried to talk to him about some Zelda merch and he was shooting down a lot of my ideas - which is fine, I don't want to buy anything he won't wear/use.

In my mind, gift cards feel kind of like zero effort was put in.  But I honestly believe he'll love it and he can spend it however he wants.

Thanks all for the help.  So much appreciated.   :heart

Jamesman42

Quote from: Harmony on August 27, 2023, 04:54:18 PM
So I'm starting to think the best gift for him is going to be a Nintendo gift card.

I tried to talk to him about some Zelda merch and he was shooting down a lot of my ideas - which is fine, I don't want to buy anything he won't wear/use.

In my mind, gift cards feel kind of like zero effort was put in.  But I honestly believe he'll love it and he can spend it however he wants.

His hobby sounds like mine. No one but me really knows exactly what I want if you are going to buy for me. A gift card, then, really is such a great gift. It's freedom within the hobby to splurge on something you may have had your eye on.
\o\ lol /o/

cramx3

Quote from: Harmony on August 27, 2023, 04:54:18 PM

I get what you are saying about zero effort in gift cards, but I think generally, they can be the best gift.  Im sure for a kid, they don't mind.

bosk1

I get the sentiment about gift cards feeling like an "easy way out."  But if that's what the person really wants, it's the best gift in their mind.