Author Topic: Ahsoka  (Read 7576 times)

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
Re: Ahsoka
« Reply #175 on: September 25, 2023, 10:38:39 AM »
I got this dumb idea to post a picture of a cannon every time someone mentions "cannon" when they meant to say "canon".  It will annoy people, and I've already decided to stop.  But it was fun while it lasted.

"Canon" is the official lore, according to whoever makes that decision (Lucasfilms, Kennedy, Filoni, etc)

"Cannon" is a device for launching a big heavy thing at your enemy, neighbor, or maybe just someone who pissed you off.

So G could use a cannon to attack Kathleen Kennedy regarding the Star Wars canon?   :biggrin:

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #176 on: September 25, 2023, 10:41:29 AM »
I got this dumb idea to post a picture of a cannon every time someone mentions "cannon" when they meant to say "canon".  It will annoy people, and I've already decided to stop.  But it was fun while it lasted.

"Canon" is the official lore, according to whoever makes that decision (Lucasfilms, Kennedy, Filoni, etc)

"Cannon" is a device for launching a big heavy thing at your enemy, neighbor, or maybe just someone who pissed you off.

So G could use a cannon to attack Kathleen Kennedy regarding the Star Wars canon?   :biggrin:

I would but she probably has a blackmail file on me as well
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #177 on: September 25, 2023, 10:47:21 AM »
Been reading/seeing stuff about Ezra since the last episode that's fun to think about.

Thrawn tells them that their numbers have dwindled since being on the planet / Ezra has chainmail made from Stormtrooper dog tags. So that would explain why Thrawn essentially gave up on trying to capture or kill him. Ezra's defeating/killing squads of stormtroopers without his light saber so he's certainly been growing stronger in the force.

Is there anything to the fact Ezra's robe is the same dark red satin color of the Night Sisters and all the death troopers repaired armor?

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #178 on: September 25, 2023, 11:22:32 AM »
storm troopers don’t have dogtags in sw as I know

Offline HOF

« Reply #179 on: September 25, 2023, 03:42:33 PM »
Been reading/seeing stuff about Ezra since the last episode that's fun to think about.

Thrawn tells them that their numbers have dwindled since being on the planet / Ezra has chainmail made from Stormtrooper dog tags. So that would explain why Thrawn essentially gave up on trying to capture or kill him. Ezra's defeating/killing squads of stormtroopers without his light saber so he's certainly been growing stronger in the force.

Is there anything to the fact Ezra's robe is the same dark red satin color of the Night Sisters and all the death troopers repaired armor?

Unless the force doesn’t exist in this galaxy!

So am I wrong in remembering dialogue from A New Hope or some other part of the original trilogy saying that the Force flows through everything in the "galaxy" as opposed to the "universe"? I kept wondering if the Force existed in this other galaxy, but unless you have to have the Force to use a lightsaber, we didn't really get any hints one way or another (Sabine does try to Force pry the prison door, then the Start Destroyer shows up instead).

I think this is what I'm thinking of:

The Force is what gives a Jedi his power. It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #180 on: September 25, 2023, 03:50:31 PM »

Unless the force doesn’t exist in this galaxy!

So am I wrong in remembering dialogue from A New Hope or some other part of the original trilogy saying that the Force flows through everything in the "galaxy" as opposed to the "universe"? I kept wondering if the Force existed in this other galaxy, but unless you have to have the Force to use a lightsaber, we didn't really get any hints one way or another (Sabine does try to Force pry the prison door, then the Start Destroyer shows up instead).

I think this is what I'm thinking of:

The Force is what gives a Jedi his power. It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together.

I guess we will know for sure once Ahsoka shows up and/or Baylan/Shin use it. BUT....the Night Sister 'magic' is the force....just a perverted version of it ala the dark side, so....they're using it there so I don't see why the force wouldn't be there. I think the whole 'galaxy' phrasing from Kenobi isn't meaning just 'that' galaxy....I think it was more philosophical. All the SW's stuff has been twisting and cheating a bit from the OT anyway given Lucas had no idea what this would all eventually turn into. I think it's a nothingburger if I had to guess.

storm troopers don’t have dogtags in sw as I know

The Clone Troopers had them....I'd assume under the armor the Storm Troopers would as well. Who knows....I've tried to find verification that the online rumor is true that those ARE trooper dog tags and in typical online fashion there are a dozen sources from both sides saying 'yes' they are to 'no' they aren't. At any rate, Thrawn gave up on trying to capture or kill Ezra for a reason and him saying his numbers have dwindled has Ezra written all over it.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #181 on: September 25, 2023, 04:18:25 PM »
I don't know more than anybody else (I try to stay away from rumors or spoilers) but me I wouldn't assume Ezra has been on the warpath this whole time,  he looked pretty chill to me.  I guess we'll know soon enough. 

The night sisters use the force too just in a different way so it wouldn't make sense to me that it doesn't "exist" in this other galaxy.  It's similar to why Lucas didn't like some of Legends stuff in the books like the Yuuzhan Vong  or the lizards that shut down the force or whatever because according to him (and Filoni) it's not a magic power,  it's in every living thing in the universe, period.  It's like a door,  some people have it way open from the start and for others (like Sabine)  it's almost (but not completely!) closed.

Offline HOF

« Reply #182 on: September 25, 2023, 04:35:28 PM »
I don't know more than anybody else (I try to stay away from rumors or spoilers) but me I wouldn't assume Ezra has been on the warpath this whole time,  he looked pretty chill to me.  I guess we'll know soon enough. 

The night sisters use the force too just in a different way so it wouldn't make sense to me that it doesn't "exist" in this other galaxy.  It's similar to why Lucas didn't like some of Legends stuff in the books like the Yuuzhan Vong  or the lizards that shut down the force or whatever because according to him (and Filoni) it's not a magic power,  it's in every living thing in the universe, period.  It's like a door,  some people have it way open from the start and for others (like Sabine)  it's almost (but not completely!) closed.

I didn’t know what the Night Sisters were and thought they might have some other sort of power (maybe what beardy guy is looking for).

Anyway, I think it would be an interesting wrinkle for the Jedi to travel to a place where the force didn’t exist. Missed opportunity IMO.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #183 on: September 25, 2023, 08:18:07 PM »
That would have been really cool if the force didn't exist there. Nice idea.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #184 on: September 26, 2023, 09:26:40 AM »

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: September 26, 2023, 10:58:00 AM »

Ehh...I disagree. The 'force' is what is appealing about SW's....it's what fascinated all of us as kids and is why probably 99% of us at one point or another tried to shut a door or grab something from across the room by 'using the force'. It'd make no sense to eliminate the most Star Wars thing from a Star Wars show.

We should know soon enough of what he has been up to....but knowing his character and how active and impatient he was about getting things done in 'Rebels' I doubt he was sitting around whittling sticks and what not. I think there's a reason Thrawn was avoiding him and not actively searching him out.

Offline HOF

« Reply #186 on: September 26, 2023, 11:02:40 AM »

Ehh...I disagree. The 'force' is what is appealing about SW's....it's what fascinated all of us as kids and is why probably 99% of us at one point or another tried to shut a door or grab something from across the room by 'using the force'. It'd make no sense to eliminate the most Star Wars thing from a Star Wars show.

We should know soon enough of what he has been up to....but knowing his character and how active and impatient he was about getting things done in 'Rebels' I doubt he was sitting around whittling sticks and what not. I think there's a reason Thrawn was avoiding him and not actively searching him out.

Maybe there’s more than meets the eye to those transformer hobbit turtles/crabs.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #187 on: September 26, 2023, 07:33:44 PM »
Threepio!!!

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #188 on: September 26, 2023, 08:17:02 PM »
Well, if that didn't feel like a full blown, old school Rebels episode. I'll say it again, getting Lars back as Thrawn was a masterstroke. Dude just owns that character.

I also am questioning who the traitor will be between Baylan and Shin. Seems they may have okey-doked us a bit. I'm changing my vote now.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #189 on: September 26, 2023, 08:28:13 PM »
Another fun episode...loving the excess old school SW action. Thrawn is fantastic.

Really starting to think this season is a Pt1 type thing, and thinking we'll get more a cliff hanger than a conclusion, the ball is just getting rolling here.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: September 26, 2023, 09:45:47 PM »
Well, if that didn't feel like a full blown, old school Rebels episode.

Yep....and it was awesome.

I'll say it again, getting Lars back as Thrawn was a masterstroke. Dude just owns that character.

Thrawn is fantastic.

Yeah....it's such a good character. I may have to take Kaos2900's advice and dig into those books. Lars just delivers those lines in such a great manner....and now, we get to see him 'act' the role as well which he's transitioned to live action pretty spot on. Honestly, even the Eman Esfandi playing Ezra has nailed that character it seems.

I also am questioning who the traitor will be between Baylan and Shin. Seems they may have okey-doked us a bit. I'm changing my vote now.

Something's going on for sure. That's not a black/white, good/evil deal going on there.

Baylan was legitimately serious when he told Ahsoka he wasn't disappointed she survived. BUT....if you notice in their first exchange of saber battle the tale of the expressions between the two characters told the story. He had concern and focus on his face the whole time while Ahsoka was laid back and chill never really breaking a sweat or 'trying' to kill him. It hearkened back to when she was asked to capture Maul (not kill him). It was fitting that when he tried to play baller and said 'you know you can't defeat me' she'd already been a few steps ahead and bested him with whatever maneuver that was she and Huyang had worked out. I 100% believe that had she wanted to end it there she would have.

Really starting to think this season is a Pt1 type thing, and thinking we'll get more a cliff hanger than a conclusion, the ball is just getting rolling here.

Yeah...definitely has that feel. There may be a resolution to some of the things going on, like Baylan's true intentions....what happens to Shin....but I don't think this will be a cut and dried season finale. Which is cool....I never doubted they'd do at least another season...but....the bummer is the whole writers strike thing and 'when' will S2 air. That sucks because at the earliest you'd think it's late 2025.  :'(

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #191 on: September 27, 2023, 05:44:15 AM »
There will definitely be threads left open to feed into the Mandoverse ending movie that has been announced, but I'd bet they're planning a season 2 of Ahsoka. Thrawn will survive for sure and will likely make it back to the main Star Wars galaxy setting up the main antagonist for the movie. The big question for me is what is Baylan trying to do and will he succeed? While starting a bit slow, this has turned into a really good show. Can't wait to see how the season ends.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: September 27, 2023, 07:54:47 AM »
The big question for me is what is Baylan trying to do and will he succeed?

I agree...this is a fascinating storyline that I deeply hope they conclude next week. My hunch is that we will get the answer but that Thrawn is going to have him killed or will kill him.

The bigger question is, IF that character survives the season.....how the hell do they recast it? Ray Stevenson has given us an awesome character and I don't see how anyone comes in and just takes that character over.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #193 on: September 27, 2023, 08:53:04 AM »

I agree...this is a fascinating storyline that I deeply hope they conclude next week. My hunch is that we will get the answer but that Thrawn is going to have him killed or will kill him.

The bigger question is, IF that character survives the season.....how the hell do they recast it? Ray Stevenson has given us an awesome character and I don't see how anyone comes in and just takes that character over.
Agreed, Stevenson is great in that role. It would be tough to recast, but I suspect if the character is still alive it's because he plays a key role in the story going forward. Maybe there was time to change some things after his passing to reduce the impact of the character still being alive. But we'll see. I wouldn't be surprised if Shin kills him either because she disagrees with his plan, or because she wants the power for her own. Really looking forward to next week!

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #194 on: September 27, 2023, 10:26:53 AM »
I saw a few fans suggest Liev Schreiber as a potentiel recasting option for Baylan Skoll and thought it made a lot of sense, making the best of a bad situation.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: September 27, 2023, 10:41:14 AM »

Agreed, Stevenson is great in that role. It would be tough to recast, but I suspect if the character is still alive it's because he plays a key role in the story going forward. Maybe there was time to change some things after his passing to reduce the impact of the character still being alive. But we'll see. I wouldn't be surprised if Shin kills him either because she disagrees with his plan, or because she wants the power for her own. Really looking forward to next week!

I haven't got the 'evil' or power hungry vibe from Shin. She seems more like she'd lean 'good' than anything. She was frustrated when it appeared Baylan was going back on his word and pursuing Sabine....she's openly been disgusted with the Night Sister 'magic'.....she had a pretty long contemplation pause when Ahsoka offered to 'help' her....I don't know that she will kill Baylan...but if I had to guess, between the two she's most likely to jump ship and swap teams.

I think Baylan has this agenda he's holding strong to and will see it out one way or another.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #196 on: September 27, 2023, 11:07:44 AM »
I think Baylan's hubris will be his undoing. He seems so confident and sure that I feel like whatever power he's looking for will be the death of him, and maybe that'll be enough to get Shin to switch sides, or at the very least, consider Thrawn and the Nightsisters as her enemy as well.

Since there's only one episode left, it's beginning to look a lot like we'll be getting a cliffhanger and that our Rebels will be stranded on Peridea, but given the strike that's been going on, I can't imagine a second season would come any sooner than 2025, so if we do get a cliffhanger ending, it's going to be an excruciatingly long wait for more Ahsoka.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #197 on: September 27, 2023, 12:00:05 PM »
I think Baylan's hubris will be his undoing. He seems so confident and sure that I feel like whatever power he's looking for will be the death of him, and maybe that'll be enough to get Shin to switch sides, or at the very least, consider Thrawn and the Nightsisters as her enemy as well.

Since there's only one episode left, it's beginning to look a lot like we'll be getting a cliffhanger and that our Rebels will be stranded on Peridea, but given the strike that's been going on, I can't imagine a second season would come any sooner than 2025, so if we do get a cliffhanger ending, it's going to be an excruciatingly long wait for more Ahsoka.

-Marc.

Agreed about Baylan. For as 'wise' as he is he seems to be ignoring his own advice to Shin.

I don't know that we will see them stranded on Peridea/that galaxy....but....as lonestar was suggesting last night.....it has all the feel of a cliffhanger type ending. I think we will get some resolution(s) but there's no way the full story is wrapping up in the next episode. Certainly seems like a S2 has to be planned on...and yeah....that wait is going to suck. Wish they would have done a 10,12 or 16 episode season.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #198 on: September 30, 2023, 10:33:23 AM »
"Canon" is a stupid word for what it means (official).

"Razed" is a stupid word for what it means (destruction).

"Belay" is a stupid word for what it means (stop, just say "stop", also sounds too much like "delay").

I'm so glad I don't have to learn English in 2023.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #199 on: October 03, 2023, 08:05:24 PM »
Hoo Boy, well, it's not that I figured they could wrap everything up but was not expecting this. Either there will be a season 2 or the big Filoni Mandoverse movie will be the big wrap up. Everyone bands together to defeat Thrawn. Well, hopefully everyone. They probably have a Baylan issue as well with Ray having died.

Sort of shocked at the moment. No closure of any kind.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #200 on: October 03, 2023, 08:37:39 PM »
Definitely a S2, with a push in the narrative from other series I'd imagine

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: October 03, 2023, 09:57:43 PM »
Hoo Boy, well, it's not that I figured they could wrap everything up but was not expecting this. Either there will be a season 2 or the big Filoni Mandoverse movie will be the big wrap up. Everyone bands together to defeat Thrawn. Well, hopefully everyone.

Definitely a S2, with a push in the narrative from other series I'd imagine

Yeah....I would think this means Mando S4 has a heavy dose of Ezra, Zeb, Hera, Bo Katan and Co. involved in figuring out how to get to Sabine and Ahsoka AND how to defeat Thrawn.

. They probably have a Baylan issue as well with Ray having died.

Boy do they....considering Ray utterly nailed that role. Kristofer Hivju who played Tormund on Game of Thrones has been rumored to be a good fit just on the 'look' alone....but I don't know that anyone can do what Ray did with that character. He was pretty dang great in the role. That's going to be a tough one.

Sort of shocked at the moment. No closure of any kind.

I won't say I'm 'shocked'....but, it definitely didn't end the way I'd have thought it would have. It's a nice little bit of irony now that Sabine and Ahsoka just flipped spots with Ezra....but man, they're really messing with canon now. I mean, now you have Ezra....a force user and strong jedi in the mix in the aftermath of the defeat of the empire and before the first order....but....in the sequel movies it was like the jedi were a myth or some sort of wives tale. Even with Thrawn now back in the original universe that seems to blow up a lot of what we've come to know.

I'm not complaining, as long as they allow Filoni to write this story and complete it with HIS vision and not that idiot Kennedy....I'm sure as a 'whole' this will all come full circle. The events of this season though really wrenches things up it seems.

As for the episode....I just found it odd that they made Morgan so strong and such a good fighter. Ahsoka has defeated what would seemingly be stronger opponents with seemingly less effort but they made Morgan out to be some sort of freaking Samuri or something. I get she inherited some night sister magic and what not....but that seemed odd she was so strong.

Was a bit bummed there wasn't more added to the Shin and Baylan storyline. So Shin is stuck there now as well with the nomadic raiders.....Baylan has made/is making his way to whatever that beacon was. That was a nice little nugget of the Father and Son of the force carved into that mountainside......no sister BUT Morai did show up.....I was wondering when that'd happen and she usually showed up in important/decisive moments for Ahsoka in the animated shows....so, seeing her there at that time kind of signals to Ahsoka that she's protected and on the right path.

All in all....for me....being a pretty big Ahsoka fan....I thought this first season was great. I think they did a really good job of transitioning those characters from animation to live action and the actors/actresses who portrayed the roles utterly nailed them. Just such a bummer now because I can't imagine we see an Ahsoka S2 until at the soonest early 2025 but if I had to guess it'd be mid to late 2025. I just hope that now with this context and what's going on and the way Mando S3 ended....they can cut the fluff out of that show and get down to business and continue to tell this story. Stop the PC cameos of the hollywood weirdo's (yeah I'm talking about Lizzo and Jack Black...show nearly jumped the shark with that shit) and just let Filoni tell this story some more.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #202 on: October 04, 2023, 05:40:04 AM »
I like where the story is going, just wished there's been a little more closure to season 1. I think there has to be a season 2. There's way too much story to tell to jump straight to Filoni's Mandoverse ending movie (unless it gets expanded to more than one movie). Ahsoka and Sabine need to get home (maybe?). Baylan needs to do what he's going to do and we need to deal with the fallout. Shin needs to encounter Ahsoka and probably be redeemed in order to fight the evil that Baylan releases? Thrawn needs to start taking control of a significant chunk of the galaxy and lay the seeds for the First Order. Zeb needs to be reunited with the crew, right? Some of that could happen in Mando season 4 (if it happens) or The Skeleton Crew, I suppose. They haven't been shy about inserting storylines into shows about other characters. There's just too much hanging open to wrap up in a 2.5 hour movie.

Really enjoyed this show overall. Nothing but minor nitpicks really.

EDIT: Apparently some official Star Wars social media accounts called it the "series finale" only to be later updated to "season finale".
« Last Edit: October 04, 2023, 05:49:18 AM by lordxizor »

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #203 on: October 04, 2023, 05:57:55 AM »
No closure of any kind.

My guess is this is a bigger problem with Disney+ Star Wars than most of the dedicated fans think. Filoni/Favreau et al have abused the casual viewers trust to make something entertaining and complete. They may indeed be making a complex masterpiece for the few and rabid fans, but Disney is going to take them to task for low viewership and eventually cut funding for it.

As for me, I'm back and forth on this show. At times it was cool, at other times eye-rolling. I think it's obvious that Rosario is dedicated to this character and gave it everything she had, yet her physicality was so off for Ahsoka. She moves woodenly through scenes like her feet are two heavy, and I'm sorry... her lightsaber fighting scenes were laughingly awkward, or at best not convincing. Probably enough said about that.

Anyway, I'm not convinced this is a recipe for success. Mrs. P was all in and a dedicated fan of Mando season 1...now, she's not the least bit interested in Disney+ Star Wars. I don't think she's unique.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2023, 07:07:38 AM by Podaar »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #204 on: October 04, 2023, 07:05:10 AM »
I'm a die hard Star Wars fan, so the interconnectedness of it all is OK with me. But I can see why it would be a turn off for more casual fans. One of the things that was great about Mando Season 1 was the monster/villain of the week feel to it.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: October 04, 2023, 08:23:42 AM »
I think it's obvious that Rosario is dedicated to this character and gave it everything she had, yet her physicality was so off for Ahsoka. She moves woodenly through scenes like her feet are two heavy, and I'm sorry... her lightsaber fighting scenes were laughingly awkward, or at best not convincing.

Agree with the bolded for sure. Unfortunately, they way the acrobatic style of fighting and engaging the enemy in the animated stuff was probably just impossible to even attempt in live action. BUT....I think they could have made a bit of a better effort to at least have a few scenes of a stunt double and/or wire work/movie magic to display her acrobatic abilities. As far as the saber scenes....they were far superior to whatever was going on in the sequel movies but still below the standard that McGregor and Hayden set for actors learning to fight with swords.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #206 on: October 04, 2023, 08:31:42 AM »
Well, I'll admit that I was conditioned, by the animated series, to expect gravity defying acrobatics from Ahsoka (and other SW shows). So my expectations were probably unreasonable.  :biggrin:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #207 on: October 04, 2023, 08:38:20 AM »
I'm a die hard Star Wars fan, so the interconnectedness of it all is OK with me. But I can see why it would be a turn off for more casual fans. One of the things that was great about Mando Season 1 was the monster/villain of the week feel to it.

Here's my opinion about that....and I love the folks in here who say they haven't watched the animated stuff.....but.....I think if you're a 'big' fan of SW's and haven't watched the animated stuff then I wouldn't qualify that as being a 'big' fan. I'd say people who like SW's but haven't watched any of the canon animated shows are simply 'casual' fans....and in that respect what Disney/Filoni provided you with Ahsoka was a pretty good story for a casual fan. For those that have ingested all the animated shows....what they provided was a cool experience that was supported by a lot of nuggetz and call backs to the animated stuff that was able to be appreciated in real time.

I liked the fact it wasn't a villain of the week set up for Ashoka....that format can be cool as we've seen but it's a pretty simple set up. With Ahsoka essentially being Rebels S5 there was an overarching point to it all of finding and saving Ezra. We knew Thrawn would be involved and they introduced Baylan and Shin as the outlier gray jedi's....I think it was all done really well. This, like most other shows or anything really comes down to expectations....and for me, they met and exceeded my expectations and I was pleased with what they gave to me, looking forward to the rest of this grander story.

As far as the viewership, based off a couple articles of varying information it looks like the show maintained a solid audience throughout with a lot of streaming minutes. It wasn't Stranger Things level but it ran in the middle to top of the pack for streaming the whole run. So...I'm sure Disney would be happy with that type of response.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #208 on: October 04, 2023, 08:39:50 AM »
Well, I'll admit that I was conditioned, by the animated series, to expect gravity defying acrobatics from Ahsoka (and other SW shows). So my expectations were probably unreasonable.  :biggrin:

Yeah...you and me both. Her introduction episode in Mando had her doing some crazy stuff though so it's weird they didn't even try to incorporate much in the series.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #209 on: October 04, 2023, 09:00:13 AM »

Here's my opinion about that....and I love the folks in here who say they haven't watched the animated stuff.....but.....I think if you're a 'big' fan of SW's and haven't watched the animated stuff then I wouldn't qualify that as being a 'big' fan. I'd say people who like SW's but haven't watched any of the canon animated shows are simply 'casual' fans....and in that respect what Disney/Filoni provided you with Ahsoka was a pretty good story for a casual fan. For those that have ingested all the animated shows....what they provided was a cool experience that was supported by a lot of nuggetz and call backs to the animated stuff that was able to be appreciated in real time.

I liked the fact it wasn't a villain of the week set up for Ashoka....that format can be cool as we've seen but it's a pretty simple set up. With Ahsoka essentially being Rebels S5 there was an overarching point to it all of finding and saving Ezra. We knew Thrawn would be involved and they introduced Baylan and Shin as the outlier gray jedi's....I think it was all done really well. This, like most other shows or anything really comes down to expectations....and for me, they met and exceeded my expectations and I was pleased with what they gave to me, looking forward to the rest of this grander story.

As far as the viewership, based off a couple articles of varying information it looks like the show maintained a solid audience throughout with a lot of streaming minutes. It wasn't Stranger Things level but it ran in the middle to top of the pack for streaming the whole run. So...I'm sure Disney would be happy with that type of response.
I do tend to agree that writing off the animated stuff altogether makes a person not a huge fan of Star Wars. I do kind of give people a pass on not watching everything animated pre Disney+ though. I personally did not have access to The Clone Wars and Rebels for several of the years it ran. And didn't understand until later that it was actually really quality Star Wars content for the most part. I caught up when I started working from home during Covid and had very little to do. Not everyone has the luxury of time to catch up on 7 seasons of a tv show. Then add Rebels into that and it's many, many hours of content to catch up on once they had access to it with D+.