Author Topic: Ahsoka  (Read 7575 times)

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Ahsoka
« Reply #105 on: September 07, 2023, 02:16:20 PM »
I laughed way too much at this entire video, but Qui Gon's comments about Sabine getting run through and surviving had me rolling.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #106 on: September 07, 2023, 02:37:31 PM »
I laughed way too much at this entire video, but Qui Gon's comments about Sabine getting run through and surviving had me rolling.

That guy is hilarious.....he has a ton of these videos and they're all pretty funny
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #107 on: September 07, 2023, 02:37:45 PM »

That was alright, but the the deep faking was SO distracting that I couldn't stand it for more than a minute.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #108 on: September 07, 2023, 03:37:11 PM »
That deep faking wasn't very deep, TBH.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: September 07, 2023, 03:47:08 PM »
That's not a deep fake, it's a cheap fake...which adds to the humor IMO. It's like if our own Kingschmegland made it.  :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #110 on: September 07, 2023, 06:11:18 PM »
Episode 5 getting a same day big screen showing. Sounds like this might be sort of a big episode.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: September 07, 2023, 08:34:32 PM »
Episode 5 getting a same day big screen showing. Sounds like this might be sort of a big episode.

I looked to see if I’d get lucky and there would be one in St. Louis, but nope. It’s Just all the larger cities.

Filoni directed this episode so….that along with this theatrical release would certainly suggest this will be a big episode

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #112 on: September 08, 2023, 05:37:21 AM »
San Francisco got it, but it looks like every city is already sold out.

Offline HOF

« Reply #113 on: September 09, 2023, 10:42:07 PM »
Finally caught up on all of the episodes. I’m enjoying it well enough. I found a YouTube video with a summary of the key storylines from Rebels so most of it makes some sense to me. I don’t know if I’d be lost without it or not. Doesn’t seem that there’s anything too difficult to understand. Though I would like to know who made and buried a map to the place where Thrawn and Ezra were taken by the space whales. I also want to know why the green girl always wears an old-timy flight helmet and goggles on her head.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #114 on: September 10, 2023, 12:31:04 PM »
Finally caught up on all of the episodes. I’m enjoying it well enough. I found a YouTube video with a summary of the key storylines from Rebels so most of it makes some sense to me. I don’t know if I’d be lost without it or not. Doesn’t seem that there’s anything too difficult to understand. Though I would like to know who made and buried a map to the place where Thrawn and Ezra were taken by the space whales. I also want to know why the green girl always wears an old-timy flight helmet and goggles on her head.
I've been wondering who made the map and why as well. I'm guessing it's more like a map showing the routes of the hyperspace whales as opposed to a map specifically showing where Thrawn went.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: September 10, 2023, 12:40:59 PM »
Finally caught up on all of the episodes. I’m enjoying it well enough. I found a YouTube video with a summary of the key storylines from Rebels so most of it makes some sense to me. I don’t know if I’d be lost without it or not. Doesn’t seem that there’s anything too difficult to understand. Though I would like to know who made and buried a map to the place where Thrawn and Ezra were taken by the space whales.
I've been wondering who made the map and why as well. I'm guessing it's more like a map showing the routes of the hyperspace whales as opposed to a map specifically showing where Thrawn went.

Pretty much this. The only reason Ezra and Thrawn are there is because Ezra communed with the Purgil and used their help to 'defeat' Thrawn. When they jumped in the Rebels finale they were just jumping to a familiar place.....that galaxy....or Peridea

Here is a good article kind of explaining it:
https://www.comicbasics.com/ahsoka-why-how-is-there-a-map-that-leads-to-thrawn-explained/

I also want to know why the green girl always wears an old-timy flight helmet and goggles on her head.

No different than Obi Wan or Anakin's Jedi garb.....or Lando's outfits....or Han's clothes. It's her 'look'. She's a pilot and captain of a ship.....

Offline HOF

« Reply #116 on: September 10, 2023, 07:42:39 PM »
Finally caught up on all of the episodes. I’m enjoying it well enough. I found a YouTube video with a summary of the key storylines from Rebels so most of it makes some sense to me. I don’t know if I’d be lost without it or not. Doesn’t seem that there’s anything too difficult to understand. Though I would like to know who made and buried a map to the place where Thrawn and Ezra were taken by the space whales.

Pretty much this. The only reason Ezra and Thrawn are there is because Ezra communed with the Purgil and used their help to 'defeat' Thrawn. When they jumped in the Rebels finale they were just jumping to a familiar place.....that galaxy....or Peridea

Here is a good article kind of explaining it:
https://www.comicbasics.com/ahsoka-why-how-is-there-a-map-that-leads-to-thrawn-explained/

I also want to know why the green girl always wears an old-timy flight helmet and goggles on her head.

No different than Obi Wan or Anakin's Jedi garb.....or Lando's outfits....or Han's clothes. It's her 'look'. She's a pilot and captain of a ship.....

Yeah, but this is more like wearing a fighter helmet everywhere you go, only it’s made for some sort of open air vehicle so doesn’t make any sense for a space ship captain. Also looks like it would be very difficult to get on/off over the tentacles!

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #117 on: September 10, 2023, 09:24:18 PM »
They wanted her to look like a pilot, so they gave her old timey pilot garb. Why question it?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 06:35:29 AM by lordxizor »

Offline HOF

« Reply #118 on: September 10, 2023, 10:19:58 PM »
They wanted her to look like a pilot, so they have her old tiny pilot garb. Why question it?

It just looks anachronistic and a bit silly. I'm mostly just being a goof though.

Offline coz

« Reply #119 on: September 11, 2023, 05:12:56 PM »
It just looks anachronistic and a bit silly. I'm mostly just being a goof though.
True.  I had to look up the meaning of that word, and you aren't wrong!

Similarly, why did a young Lando Calrissian wear a shirt much like Theo Huxtable's?

~Carlos
We made a land where crap is king and the good don't last too long.
https://www.last.fm/user/coz2112

Offline HOF

« Reply #120 on: September 11, 2023, 06:18:12 PM »
True.  I had to look up the meaning of that word, and you aren't wrong!

Similarly, why did a young Lando Calrissian wear a shirt much like Theo Huxtable's?

Ha! That episode is a classic.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: September 12, 2023, 08:10:43 PM »
I watched it.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #122 on: September 12, 2023, 08:25:28 PM »
Hayden did his homework. Really had Matt Lanter's Anakin down.

Now I really want to see The Clone Wars in live action after that. Some very cool scenes.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: September 12, 2023, 09:05:27 PM »
Hayden did his homework. Really had Matt Lanter's Anakin down.

Now I really want to see The Clone Wars in live action after that. Some very cool scenes.

You ain’t lying. He did say in an interview before the Kenobi series that he rewatched Clone Wars a lot and really dove into Anakin’s character. He was awesome in this.

A lot to digest about the World Between Worlds fight scene…..what it meant for Ahsoka.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: September 12, 2023, 09:07:49 PM »
If I had to guess....she will probably commune with one of the Purgill like Ezra did and gain transport that way....have one latch on the the Ghost (Hera's ship) and 'jump' to that Galaxy.

Well…..I got the ships wrong but that was really the only way they were getting to Sabine and Ezra.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: September 12, 2023, 09:48:27 PM »
I guess I never thought about the fact that Ahsoka’s entire Jedi training and journey was under the umbrella of war. Baylan reminded her of it last week and given we’ve seen that he has an incredible power of mind probing people in real time with little effort……at the time I thought maybe he was making an observation but I think now he was just reading what she was holding into.

Subsequently……Anakin…..through the force…..arrives to complete her training so to speak and alleviate that part of her that has kept her in self doubt for years. Pretty cool stuff.

While it’s nothing ‘original’ I don’t mind Ahsoka now exiting her ‘Grey’ stage and entering her ‘white’ stage ala Gandalf. It seems fitting for sage like characters to level up as such.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #126 on: September 13, 2023, 07:59:17 AM »
Tacking on to my comments on Hayden, major props to him for how he handled this. I mean, he is the originator of this version of Anakin yet he took the time to study and copy what many fans consider to be the definitive version of his character. The guy has taken a beating for years and still came back. His impression of the animated Anakin was just so good and he gained a lot of respect from me for how he did this. Huge kudos to him.

Online faizoff

« Reply #127 on: September 13, 2023, 08:01:03 AM »
It was bugging me where I'd seen that general's kid before. He's in Mr. Robot as the young Elliot. :coolio

Great episode! backstory was really cool.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: September 13, 2023, 08:28:27 AM »
Tacking on to my comments on Hayden, major props to him for how he handled this. I mean, he is the originator of this version of Anakin yet he took the time to study and copy what many fans consider to be the definitive version of his character. The guy has taken a beating for years and still came back. His impression of the animated Anakin was just so good and he gained a lot of respect from me for how he did this. Huge kudos to him.

Again....I'm 100% right there with you. I'm one of the folks who consider Clone Wars Anakin 'the' Anakin....and you're spot on with Hayden capturing that 'essence'. It's impressive.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: September 13, 2023, 08:30:39 AM »
The live action depiction of TCW's....particularly with the child Ahsoka drives home the fact that she was just a child during TCW's. That's lost a bit in animation....it's obviously implied but seeing a child and young adult portray her in live action brings it home.....and speaks to how gifted a force user and jedi she was/is.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #130 on: September 13, 2023, 10:33:42 AM »
I liked the episode, but it was pretty underwhelming, given some fan hype buildup and/or the fact that it was going to premier on big screens too.  I figured we'd finally see Thrawn.  The Vader effects with Anakin were cool.  Oh well - still looking forward to the rest of the season.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #131 on: September 13, 2023, 03:15:25 PM »
I liked the episode, but it was pretty underwhelming, given some fan hype buildup and/or the fact that it was going to premier on big screens too.  I figured we'd finally see Thrawn.  The Vader effects with Anakin were cool.  Oh well - still looking forward to the rest of the season.

Totally with you here Grappler. Enjoyed it but it was underwhelming verses hype.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: September 13, 2023, 03:59:51 PM »
Spoilers:

You know the part when the hyperspace whale opens it's mouth to let them in? Mrs. P started making Dori talking to whale noises (Finding Nemo reference...in case TAC reads this). I had to rush over to the bar sink to spit out a mouthful of margarita or else I was going to spew it across the couch.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: September 13, 2023, 04:08:15 PM »

Totally with you here Grappler. Enjoyed it but it was underwhelming verses hype.

I get that sentiment especially since it was on the heels of the episode that was like a 9.6 or something on IMDB…..and then doing the theatrical release.

BUT…..in the context of The Cline Wars, Rebels and Ahsoka as a character that episode was phenomenal IMO

Offline The Realm

« Reply #134 on: September 13, 2023, 04:48:53 PM »

I get that sentiment especially since it was on the heels of the episode that was like a 9.6 or something on IMDB…..and then doing the theatrical release.

BUT…..in the context of The Cline Wars, Rebels and Ahsoka as a character that episode was phenomenal IMO

I think the Ahsoka parts and the flashbacks were great, the Hera parts were a drag and kind of killed the momentum of the episode. It also just felt a bit too slow moving for me to be great. Glad you loved it though and I am sure many other big fans did also. I guess this whole show really is just turning out to be fan service for those who love The Clone Wars and Rebels. Which is totally fine but probably not great for a new audience.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: September 13, 2023, 04:53:30 PM »
I don’t see it as fan service…..it’s just literally Rebels Season 5. Rebels was a pretty good show and this series has just continued the momentum of that good series.

I think they’ve done what they could to explain things to the non animated show fans but I’m glad they didn’t sacrifice much to go out of the way to do so.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #136 on: September 13, 2023, 04:58:32 PM »
Spoilers:

You know the part when the hyperspace whale opens it's mouth to let them in? Mrs. P started making Dori talking to whale noises (Finding Nemo reference...in case TAC reads this). I had to rush over to the bar sink to spit out a mouthful of margarita or else I was going to spew it across the couch.

:lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #137 on: September 14, 2023, 07:23:59 AM »
Another episode that made me think "Okay, this is finally starting to get interesting" just as I've thought each episode so far, meanwhile fans of Rebels and The Clone Wars were creaming their shorts over all the callbacks and fanservice.  At least she was smiling at the end, showing some emotion.  Maybe that's her character arc; go from a stoic, downright boring character, to someone who learns how to smile.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: September 14, 2023, 07:55:07 AM »
Another episode that made me think "Okay, this is finally starting to get interesting" just as I've thought each episode so far, meanwhile fans of Rebels and The Clone Wars were creaming their shorts over all the callbacks and fanservice.  At least she was smiling at the end, showing some emotion.  Maybe that's her character arc; go from a stoic, downright boring character, to someone who learns how to smile.

I guess I'm not understanding how anything in that episode was fanservice? Fanservice to me is when you put something in a story that really doesn't need to be there but you do it anyway to give a nod to the fans and the use that emotion to bolster whatever story you're telling. That simply wasn't the case there.

Anakin knew the state of her psyche and how she'd been eaten up by the wars and battles....the sense of failures over leaving him and not being able to help Ezra and Sabine....so, he exercised his right as the chosen one and utilize the World Between Worlds to give her one last lesson. It was all handled beautifully, especially her light saber toss at the end of it all in the same vein as Luke did with Vadar when they both rejected the 'dark side'.

And I don't know if you've watched TCW's and Rebels....but....I think any criticism of Ahsoka's character in this show without having the full backstory of her entire arc is disingenuous. We're seeing the culmination of years of her characters growth...not four episodes. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #139 on: September 14, 2023, 08:16:47 AM »
Okay, not exactly fanservice, but fanservice can take different forms.  There was no explanation of "the world between worlds", though it was obvious that she was in some kind of alternate place or dimension.  But Jacen could hear them fighting, which was interesting, and it settled the question of whether or not it was just in her head.  Anakin showed up for reasons unknown, and many are raving about how great he was, how much he looked and acted like the Anakin from the animated series (which of course was lost on anyone who never watched them).

Many are also saying "Well, this is basically Season Five of Rebels, what did you expect?"  What I expected was a story that held together without having to know all the backstory, as we were promised and as I actually expected Filoni and company to pull off, given their track record.  This is turning out not to be the case, and I'm starting to side with those who say that they're pretty lost without all the backstory.  I know some of it, having watched some recaps prior to this series, but this is not the standalone story that it was promoted to be.  It's clearly an extension of stories and characters that are well-established.  You can't please everyone, I get it, but generally you try to aim for the largest audience, and that would be people who have not seen the animated shows, not the ones who have.