Author Topic: Maui  (Read 728 times)

Offline Harmony

Maui
« on: August 16, 2023, 01:35:26 PM »
I just thought maybe we could have a thread to talk about the disaster in Maui.  People here may have ties/connections to that island and need a place to vent.

The information coming through on major media outlets don't seem to convey all of what is happening on the ground.  The people there are very cut off from normal routes of communication.  Power has been out - though I've heard it is back.  There is difficulty with people being able to leave their homes (the ones that are untouched by the fire) and return without having some sort of documentation and yet people have stood for hours in the sun to get this documentation only to be turned away.

People there need medications they cannot access.  Imagine being diabetic - insulin needs to be refrigerated.  If you run out, the pharmacy is gone.  You can't leave your house without this documentations.  WTF are you supposed to do?  The water there is reportedly contaminated - as is the air quality in some areas.  It sounds like from a government services standpoint it has been a cluster fuck since the fire began and it is seemingly only getting worse.

There is one person I've found posting consistently from the ground who is not affiliated with any news or government agency and he is being harassed by authorities for filming and uploading/posting to social media.  The frustration on the ground by people there is getting palpable.  If you are interested in his posts, on X he goes by @CygnusGeoff and on TikTok he goes by @geoffcygnus.  I'd love it if anyone here has anyone else they are following for information there they'd be willing to share here.

One thing this whole event has me thinking seriously about is disaster preparedness.  I mean, we have the basics and I've done some of this work before.  But I'm looking at it through a whole new lens now seeing how disorganized officials on the ground seem to be.  It reminds me of Katrina, TBH.  I know the south has had lots of practice with hurricanes.  But seriously guys if something catastrophic happens where you live, are you going to be able to be self sufficient for weeks?  I'm not going full prepper here, but I honestly don't think we are near enough prepared at Harmony House.

Obviously the loss of life is absolutely gut wrenching.  There are reports that parents left their kids home for the day because the schools closed for weather (wind) related conditions.  I can't even imagine being stranded at work/trying to get to my kids as the fire raged through the town.  Or taking to the ocean in order to avoid the flames.  Just terrifying and heart breaking for the people of Lahaina.   :'(

Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Maui
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2023, 02:12:21 PM »
The video and reports of how quickly it overtook those homes and businesses, roads....etc etc are just insane. I can't imagine. Just like with Katrina and some of these other major catastrophic events...it's easy to sit back and point fingers after the fact. But the fact remains that things like this are near impossible to plan for. I'm trying hard not to buy in to some of the suggestions now that this was set up intentionally so that these large corporations could come in and snatch the land from the local tribesman....but some of the evidence is pretty compelling. I don't think lasers from the sky started these fires but I don't put much past corporate greed these days.

I feel for those folks though and my heart breaks for them just thinking about that one moment you're with friends/family and the next they or you are dead and gone in a massive unstoppable fire like this. The footage of the people in the ocean trying to escape the blaze but being swept away is chilling.

One thing this whole event has me thinking seriously about is disaster preparedness.  I mean, we have the basics and I've done some of this work before.  But I'm looking at it through a whole new lens now seeing how disorganized officials on the ground seem to be.  It reminds me of Katrina, TBH.  I know the south has had lots of practice with hurricanes.  But seriously guys if something catastrophic happens where you live, are you going to be able to be self sufficient for weeks?  I'm not going full prepper here, but I honestly don't think we are near enough prepared at Harmony House.

There are some affordable kits on Amazon and other outlet websites where you can buy weeks/months worth of MRE's, water purification straws and/or tablets, friction chargeable flashlights and all the 'fun' prepper stuff that isn't so far fetched to actually need in your home these days. At minimum, I think every family should have enough supplies and water on hand to survive two weeks without the normal services being available.

It's up to you to incorporate weaponry and ammo into your survival regiment per your discretion or moral code.

I live very near the New Madrid fault line. Unlike the San Andreas that 'relieves' itself with little earthquakes periodically throughout the year and decades.....the New Madrid rarely has small tremors. When it snaps....it snaps. That prospect, along with my general sense for our countries current social state and the fact that I've always followed the Boy Scout motto of 'Be Prepared' has in fact led me to be prepared. I won't get into specifics but I know that my family of 5 can survive for an extended period of time without modern amenities. Certainly long enough to reach our designated family and friend meet up spot.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2023, 02:56:07 PM »
I've been to Maui twice, and both times stayed just north of Lahaina.  Most of what I know and remember appears gone and that makes me sad.   

On Friday, I put on CNN and they showed pictures, and it was actually freaky.  My parents were still alive and living in Cape Coral during Hurricane Ian, and driving around and looking at the damage down there was horrific.  This was actually worse, because it was as bad physically, but with the ash it was almost entirely devoid of any color.   It was surreal. 

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2023, 03:58:54 PM »
My wife and I have been following this from the get-go. Our honeymoon was on Maui and we stayed right in Lahaina about 2 blocks from the Banyan Tree and Front Street. We would wake up early as we are from the Midwest and just walk out of the resort and find the first open restaurant in Lahaina and have breakfast. Did that almost every day we were there. Nothing is left except the tree, which we were both really worried about. I was hoping to get back there in the next few years as the island had such an impact on us and was an unforgettable vacation. I know we can go back, but it won't be the same. We spent so much time right there in Lahaina. I liked where we stayed because it was less touristy but still very nice.

Local news actually reported on the Banyan Tree today and the word is that it is still making sap and is expected to make it. That's something.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2023, 10:37:12 PM »
My wife has an aunt and uncle on Oahu and a ton of family on the big island. My wife and kids were actually flying home from the big island on the 8th, and one of the main roads was closed due to fire/smoke on that island, and they had to take an alternate route to get to the airport.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2023, 07:24:04 AM »
This is going to get so much uglier. There's still over a 1000 people missing, and with only a quarter of the area searched, and with how many sought refuge in the ocean which was also in the middle of a hurricane, it doesn't bode well at all.

I can't help flashing back to the Camp fire here, and the absolute devastation it caused as it leveled the town of Paradise, but on a much grander scale. They're still recovering, and it's been five years now. Maui will be rebuilding for at least a decade, with so many homeless, unemployed, and with no chance of recovery. Just heartbreaking.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2023, 08:00:49 AM »
My wife and I have been following this from the get-go. Our honeymoon was on Maui and we stayed right in Lahaina about 2 blocks from the Banyan Tree and Front Street. We would wake up early as we are from the Midwest and just walk out of the resort and find the first open restaurant in Lahaina and have breakfast. Did that almost every day we were there. Nothing is left except the tree, which we were both really worried about. I was hoping to get back there in the next few years as the island had such an impact on us and was an unforgettable vacation. I know we can go back, but it won't be the same. We spent so much time right there in Lahaina. I liked where we stayed because it was less touristy but still very nice.

Local news actually reported on the Banyan Tree today and the word is that it is still making sap and is expected to make it. That's something.

My experience was almost identical.  And my friend Joe and I rented a Jeep and would just drive, pull over, and run down and jump in the ocean. Paradise.

I hope it can get back to that some time soon (Mother Nature is a resilient old bird, so I know it can). 

Not that it matters in the grand scheme of things, but people we enjoy here have homes out there: Mick Fleetwood, Davey Murray, Alice Cooper, Clint Eastwood, Kris Kristofferson, Woody Harrelson, Bob Rock, Steven Tyler....

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2023, 01:07:23 PM »
Every little bit helps.  Nice to know that all the major sports teams in LA and the OC can get together to contribute helping out.

https://twitter.com/LAKings/status/1692227845484143060

Offline Harmony

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2023, 04:34:09 PM »
As always - people should be careful who they send money/donations to.  After some research, I've come up with a few for people to consider.

https://www.hawaiicommunityfoundation.org/maui-strong

https://mauifoodbank.org/

https://www.mauihumanesociety.org/
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2023, 09:09:54 PM »
Maui is one of the best vacation spots I've been to. I'm heartbroken over the devastation.

We currently have many fires burning here in British Columbia, and threatening populated areas. Driving home from work today I could see a huge ball of smoke, and it’s not too far away. Two years ago the town of Lytton, B.C. was completely destroyed by fire, though thankfully not with death toll we’re seeing in Lahaina. This is the new normal, and it’s terrifying.

Just read this story the other day about  two people fleeing the Lahaina fire with their dogs. What a harrowing story. It’s unimaginable.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/maui-residents-lahaina-wildfire-survivors-1.6936218