Author Topic: I’m really, really sorry, DTF  (Read 3700 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I’m really, really sorry, DTF
« on: August 13, 2023, 08:05:03 PM »
Hey, guys.  I first and foremost want to say that I am sorry.  I have ignored some things on here for quite some time.  When I was here, I was not really present.  And then I disappeared altogether for awhile.  (I almost always have a browser window open, so I know it looks like I am always on, to those that know how to check; but I haven’t been here in awhile)

I’m not going to give you excuses.  But I am going to just tell you what’s been going on, at least a little bit, although I won’t be getting into the details.  But I have been going through some very difficult times and I have some very difficult problems, and I have people very close to me that are losing control, and it has all impacted me in ways that are hard to describe and hard to talk about and think about.  There have been times when all I could do was literally just ignore the world outside and just cry and withdraw.  I have responded largely by denying that anything was wrong and burying it, ignoring it, and not dealing with some things that need to be dealt with.  Sometimes, I would actively look for urgent things to pour myself into so that my time would be absorbed into doing that rather than dealing with other important things.  On the outside, everything looks fine.  My life looks great.  But on the inside, it is turmoil and turbulence at times.  And the mere thought of dealing with certain things, even some routine ones that shouldn’t be a big deal, causes seemingly uncontrollable anxiety that I don’t know how to cope with.

Again, I’m not making excuses.  Just sharing a bit of the why.

As far as the what, that’s not really relevant other than to say that that has obviously carried over here.  I have let a lot of things go, haven’t dealt with some things that need to be dealt with, etc.  And most of you may not have even noticed.  If that describes you, then I’m glad.  But I know I have let a lot of you down.  And I let my mod/admin team down by not letting them know what was going on so that they could at least try to have some answers for you all when I disappeared.  I’m going to try to do better.  I have some things I need to handle, including some things here.  I’m just asking that you all be patient while I try to pull myself together and do that.  This community and the people that have made it great deserve better than I have given.

This isn’t a promise that everything will be fine moving forward.  I am trying.  And I am getting help.  And I do promise that I will do better, because you all deserve that.  I’m not “better.”  But I am becoming aware of what’s going on, and, as I said, I am getting help. 

This also isn’t a cry for help, and as I’ve said, it’s not meant to be a set of excuses.  Just letting you know (1) a bit of the “why” I’ve dropped the ball and (2) an apology for doing so.  You all have my gratitude for making this an exceptional community.  You have my apology for my avoidance of my responsibilities here.  Some may choose not to accept either, and that is your prerogative.  For those that choose to accept those, thank you.  For all of you, I just humbly ask your patience a I try to do better for you all. 

Thanks for reading at least some of this long post.  I hope it makes a fraction of the sense on screen that it did in my head.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jimgolf

Re: I’m really, really sorry, DTF
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2023, 09:33:47 PM »
I’m so sorry to hear that Bosk. I just started becoming more active on the forums this past year, but I’ve regularly visited the site since at least the Black Clouds/Silver Linings era. I love the community here and all the great musical discussions. 

I don’t quite know what you are going through, and even if I did, it is sometimes impossible to understand what going through that particular situation may be like. I just want to wish you the best and thank you for the years of effort you have put into maintaining this forum and making it a happy place to hang out at. Stay strong and do whatever you need to do to get yourself in a better place. Be well  :)

Offline JeopardousRaven

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2023, 09:34:45 PM »
It's clear you're having some tough times. I'm a relatively new member here but I'm sure whatever it is you're going through is much more important than an online forum for the nerdiest band of all time  :lol

Best of luck to you  :metal

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2023, 12:35:47 AM »
Bosk, first of all, so much respect to you for being this vunerable on a worldwide forum... that wasn't necessary but is highly appreciated.

Life - although it's beautiful - can tear a man apart. I feel blessed that when I (was) go(ing) through hard times (devorcing my first wife, mom with cancer), as a christian I didn't feel alone... but carried through. That's why The Shattered Fortress is so meaningful for me. I truly hope you will be carried through as well. Maybe not in the same way, but due to beloved-ones close by or even this forum might be a sparkle of light, every now and then. My prayer 's with you.

And about your apologies... don't bother a sec. I can wait a while longer for your reply... people like you, Sadler, Setlist Scotty, pg1067 or Benjamin I learn so much from, about one of my finest obsessions, Dream Theater, so patiently waiting for a reply is the least I can do.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2023, 12:51:08 AM »
Now I understand. Thank you. I hope your circumstances improve, bosk.

Not completely unrelated, I posted on Facebook last Monday something along the lines of Twitter, Facebook and Instagram (among others) posts often being the positive things people want you to see about their lives. We never know what peoples' lives are truly like and we shouldn't forget that. I was feeling a bit down at the time but my post wasn't a cry for help, either. For me, it was peaks and troughs of the human condition after a fairly awful 2022.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2023, 10:43:33 AM »
All that detail wasn't necessary but it is appreciated. Sorry things are tough right now. Take care of yourself and your family first and foremost. We'll be OK here. Well, most of us anyway  :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2023, 10:55:38 AM »
Hope things get better Bosk.  Take care of yourself and family and whatever you are dealing with is more important than DTF.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2023, 12:51:36 PM »
Sorry to hear that Bosk, hope things improve for you and those around you.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2023, 03:07:07 PM »
I'm sorry boskdaddy. I hope this gets better. Anxiety is no joke in addition to what's happening around you. I hope you get clarity as well.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2023, 11:58:03 AM »
My prayers are with you, Bosk! Hope everything gets better very soon.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2023, 12:06:38 PM »
Thanks for everything you do to keep this place running, Bosk. Sending positive thoughts your way.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2023, 04:39:52 PM »
I've been there bosk. I've had anxiety and depression for years (most of my life probably at this point), and when things go awry, it can lead to all sorts of nasty mental things. Take time for you, man. Glad you're getting help, too.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2023, 04:43:31 PM »
I am in the same boat, Bosk. So much has been going on that I mentally could not handle it, I have ended up relapsing and it has effected my work and all that stuff. I do understand how much REALITY can take hold of everyone.

You have my support and I do hope you can get through it, just as I hope and pray that I can get through my own bullshit... :tup :tup :tup :tup
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2023, 10:01:29 AM »
I am in the same boat, Bosk. So much has been going on that I mentally could not handle it, I have ended up relapsing and it has effected my work and all that stuff. I do understand how much REALITY can take hold of everyone.

You have my support and I do hope you can get through it, just as I hope and pray that I can get through my own bullshit... :tup :tup :tup :tup

You will, brother, you will.   Just don't try to go it alone.  Get the help you need.  Not that you want, but that you NEED.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2023, 11:20:06 AM »
Love and strength to you, Big Bosk.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2023, 05:11:15 PM »
Bosk, I hope you and your closest ones get better. You always did a great job here with a lot of patience and respect for us (and sorry for a bit of a headache I gave to you in the Sons of Apollo thread... there was a time when that thread became a trolling mess! :D), but this forum is just entertainment after all (at least for us "at the other side"), and there are way more important things in our real lives. Take care!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2023, 09:05:47 PM »
I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. I wish you well and a speedy recovery.

Offline mariner

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2023, 06:54:36 AM »
Sorry to hear this bosk.  Appreciate all that you do for this community.  Go take care of yourself and family.  We'll be here endless speculating about DT16.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2023, 09:56:09 PM »
You've helped build and maintain a great community here, Bosk.  You should be very proud of that.  Hoping for some uplifting moments to help you work through difficult times. 

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2023, 08:23:16 AM »
Hey Bosk,

I truly hope that things are working out for you or at the very least you have a path forward.

For the record, I don't have to have a t-shirt when I donate. You say the word that it's time to "pass the hat" and I'll be there!  :tup

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2023, 08:12:18 PM »
Hey Bosk,

I truly hope that things are working out for you or at the very least you have a path forward.

For the record, I don't have to have a t-shirt when I donate. You say the word that it's time to "pass the hat" and I'll be there!  :tup

The hat.  I lovee this.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2023, 07:07:15 AM »
Hey Bosk,

The hat.  I lovee this.
You know good and well there is no hat to pass. I made sure of that in 2006.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2023, 04:22:56 PM »
I don't understand the hat reference.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2023, 04:44:22 PM »
Hey Bosk,

The hat.  I lovee this.
You know good and well there is no hat to pass. I made sure of that in 2006.

Oh I know. Still was a fun idea.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2023, 09:42:14 AM »
Neither will most of the rest of the current forum membership.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2023, 09:54:40 AM »
Really sorry for what you're going through.
I wish you all the best, and thanks as always for caring this much (even now despite the circumstances) about this place.

Take care Bosk!

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2023, 10:30:57 AM »

+1

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2023, 11:29:32 AM »

+1
I will have to peer back through the mists of time to try to recall as many details as I can.  Then I will update you guys.

But this is probably not the correct thread for it lol

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2023, 12:46:53 PM »
I will have to peer back through the mists of time to try to recall as many details as I can.  Then I will update you guys.

But this is probably not the correct thread for it lol

You're surely correct mate, but your reaction makes me curious. Although it's probably non' of my business...

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2023, 07:21:08 PM »

I recall the picture from a long time ago (I think there was a picture, or you told the story very well).

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2023, 07:56:17 AM »

I recall the picture from a long time ago (I think there was a picture, or you told the story very well).
There was a picture.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2023, 02:15:36 PM »
Just wanted to thank bosk for everything he's done for all of us through the years.  This community means a lot to so many of us, and he's been a true professional year after year.  I have nothing but respect for him.  I've made several friends through DTF and that's due to bosk and his efforts to give us a platform and a place to interact.  As someone who also manages a message board and website, I know how much time and effort it can take at times.  So thank you, bosk.  You've given us all so much for so many years.  Take some time for yourself if you need it, brother.  I hope things get better.  :)
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2023, 05:53:27 AM »
As is typical I come and go from this place at a whim, but I was sad to come here and see this post. Bosk, thank you for everything you do. All the best to you. ✨🌟

Online TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2023, 08:07:49 AM »
i'm new here but i agree with crystalstork17. the sentiment is echoed by myself. thank you and all the best!  :D
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2023, 05:19:39 PM »
I hoped that I was wrong, but I figured something was up... man, I'm sorry.  Whatever it is, wherever it is, you'll handle it my friend.  Psalm 138:7-8

"Fallen down but not destroyed
Just another Trial by Fire"
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar