Author Topic: Live at Budokan Appreciation/Discussion Thread  (Read 4215 times)

Offline The Letter M

Re: Live at Budokan Appreciation/Discussion Thread
« Reply #70 on: August 25, 2023, 03:55:21 PM »
I've been meaning to buy LAB on BD, but I wasn't sure if there were any noticeable improvements on the BD over the DVD set.

-Marc.

I have both, the Bluray has an obvious bump in resolution. Whether you care or not is another matter, some don't notice and it doesn't bother them. Like for me personally, Score is only on DVD and it's at times tough to watch that resolution (720 x 480) on a 4k (3840 x 2160) screen.
But a bump from 720 to 1080 is nice and 1080 upscales to 4k a lot easier.

The sound is slightly beefed up as the audio streams are larger and you have two lossless versions (PCM Stereo and DTS-HD Master Audio).

So there is an upgrade but if you don't care about those things then it's no point upgrading.

Thanks for the info! I remember the BD coming out what feels like a decade ago but I never got it as I didn't have a BD player at the time (I don't think, or I didn't feel the need to upgrade from the DVD). Now I see it's a bit harder to find so I might just stick with my DVD set. Maybe some day in the future, the band might do a BD box set of their concerts and I would double-dip then, as Rush had done such a thing once, and we all know DT are of the "WWRD" mindset these days!  :lol

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #71 on: September 11, 2023, 09:53:59 AM »
Gave some LAB songs a spin yesterday. The band really sounded great on that tour. I'm still not sure how they pulled off Stream of Consciousness live. :hefdaddy
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Mr.Mister

« Reply #72 on: September 14, 2023, 09:05:18 PM »
LAB has a special place in my heart as it was around the time I was introduced to the band by a classmate. The BTL instrumental breakdown between MP and JR and MP and JP is arguably my fav moment in DT Live recording history. To this day I rewatch this section at least a couple of times a year.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #73 on: September 15, 2023, 09:44:29 AM »
that extended Hollow Years solo is one of the highlights

2004-2006 was a golden era for DT live
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #74 on: September 16, 2023, 12:22:20 PM »
I have both, the Bluray has an obvious bump in resolution. Whether you care or not is another matter, some don't notice and it doesn't bother them. Like for me personally, Score is only on DVD and it's at times tough to watch that resolution (720 x 480) on a 4k (3840 x 2160) screen.
But a bump from 720 to 1080 is nice

It's a bump from 480 to 1080 (lines!).

If I remember correctly, Budokan looks decent and certainly more detailed than the DVD edition, but it suffers from interlacing artifacts. I definitely prefer the Blu-ray disc, though. It's too bad the band-label didn't bother to prepare for an HD release of Score at the time. 
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #75 on: September 16, 2023, 08:38:12 PM »
Gave some LAB songs a spin yesterday. The band really sounded great on that tour. I'm still not sure how they pulled off Stream of Consciousness live. :hefdaddy

SoC is so good. At least on bass, it's a relatively easy song to play (relative to other DT songs), though there are some hard-sounding guitar and keyboard bits. Also a really fun song to play on the bass.

Edit: rewatching it now and that guitar solo halfway in is just incredible live. You're right, that seems hard to pull off, JP is a beast.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: September 17, 2023, 04:54:42 AM »
I watched this DVD a LOT when it came out.  Amazing concert.

You know when I think of this DVD, the first thing that pops to mind every time is that shot of Petrucci absolutely destroying that outro in TDS while locking eyes with an audience member.  What a machine!  :metal
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.