Author Topic: The BAND-MAID thread v.Po!!  (Read 4297 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The BAND-MAID thread po!!
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2023, 05:48:20 AM »
I don't get it. Men dressed as maids?

There are certain types of potential fans who are always going to struggle with visual gimmicks, whether it's KISS, Twisted Sister, Behemoth, Slipknot, Ad Infinitum, etc.  I think I myself have a tendency to write off bands due to it, so it's something I've had to wrestle with. 

I don't think it's a real detriment if you're a really big fan of the music. And I can certainly look past it in some cases. I mean Band Maid's music certainly stands on it's own. As did Twisted Sister's (for the 1st three albums anyway), and Kiss has tons of great music.

I personally think it's ridiculous to have two guys dressed up as Ace and Peter. It's basically half Beatlemania at that point. I had no problem with Kiss in the 80's, but they want to make a buck selling this "show" so all the power to them.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2023, 10:28:20 AM »
Great quote from the Rolling Stone review of their performance yesterday...

They lured curious onlookers into the fold when highlights like “Domination” and “Don’t You Tell Me” got huge reactions from the crowd, but it was the bass solo-versus-guitar solo duels mid-song that got the biggest cheers. This is what those guys in Guitar Center think their ridiculous riffing sounds like. Turns out it’s done best, and most effortlessly, by women in black-and-white maid dresses and frilly hair-pieces as they smile ear to ear. –N.C.

In answer to Tim's struggle with their Maid outfits, they shoot for that contrast... That they can be adorably cute women in maid outfits and still kick ass.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2023, 03:53:33 PM »
They have a new video released on Thursday?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf0mQOiu8J8

Do they have a new album coming out?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2023, 04:37:47 PM »

Yeah, I posted that in the OP... Killer song.

No clue as to an album, Japanese bands just drop singles at random all the time lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2023, 05:16:40 PM »

Yeah, I posted that in the OP...

:blush

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2023, 05:56:49 PM »
I don't want to dig deeper into them right now with the roulette going, but since you sent me Thrill (which I LOVE), about how much of their stuff is on that level?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2023, 05:59:11 PM »
Personally I think it might be the best song I've heard from them, and I really like Domination.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2023, 06:06:25 PM »
I don't want to dig deeper into them right now with the roulette going, but since you sent me Thrill (which I LOVE), about how much of their stuff is on that level?

I'd personally say about 20% of their work hits at that level, that full frontal hard rock approach, though Thrill along with Domination, Warning, Don't You Tell Me, Play, Puzzle, Hate?, and Warning stand a bit above the rest for me.. When you get to it, just hit their recently released Best Of dual CD's, most of their best stuff is on their. Also, I can send you the playlist I made Tim as well.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2023, 06:14:58 PM »
One thing I have a problem with, generally for these Japanese bands, are the vocals. Not sure it's just reserved for female fronted bands either. After a while, my ears get fatigued with it.

I have felt that while trying to take in full albums by Band Maid, and even Lovebites, a band which musically, I like more. But I do have to say that I prefer the singer from Band Maid to Lovebites.

Speaking of that, I just did a dedicated run through of Maid In Japan, their first album. Musically, it's more basic when compared to their later works, which makes sense. In a way, it's very consistent in a way that in some very rudimentary listens, their later works could benefit from. In the end, that may not be a totally fair assessment based on the dedication of the listens, but I do plan to go through each album.
The other thing about the first album is how consistent the vocals are. She has a really good voice, and there aren't the weird inflections present that many Japanese vocalists, male and female, have.

Musically, it reminded me of very early Blondie, and....that's a good thing.

Really liked Evergreen and Bye My Tears.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2023, 06:18:41 PM »
Also, this thread isn't complete without this...Hitler defends his love of BAND-MAID...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZF40-lJrf4

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2023, 06:37:43 PM »
Don't worry, Rush will go to hell with us. :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2023, 06:54:46 PM »
Don't worry, Rush will go to hell with us. :lol

:lol

That page has about 8 Hitler/Band Maid videos, they're frikkin hilarious.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2023, 06:56:33 PM »
That Hitler template is a classic.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2023, 07:02:39 AM »
One thing I have a problem with, generally for these Japanese bands, are the vocals. Not sure it's just reserved for female fronted bands either. After a while, my ears get fatigued with it.

I have felt that while trying to take in full albums by Band Maid, and even Lovebites, a band which musically, I like more. But I do have to say that I prefer the singer from Band Maid to Lovebites.

Speaking of that, I just did a dedicated run through of Maid In Japan, their first album. Musically, it's more basic when compared to their later works, which makes sense. In a way, it's very consistent in a way that in some very rudimentary listens, their later works could benefit from. In the end, that may not be a totally fair assessment based on the dedication of the listens, but I do plan to go through each album.
The other thing about the first album is how consistent the vocals are. She has a really good voice, and there aren't the weird inflections present that many Japanese vocalists, male and female, have.

Musically, it reminded me of very early Blondie, and....that's a good thing.

Really liked Evergreen and Bye My Tears.

I'm the same way with the vocals from Lovebites, and to a lesser extent Mary's Blood, they just don't click with me, they almost sound like they're always trying to oversing everything if that makes sense. Saiki (Band Maid) has just a natural, pure voice. The main reason Nemophila is my favorite is Mayu's vocals, it's just such a unique sounding voice that really stands out among the crowd.

It's funny you make that comment about their first album, they were shooting for a pop rock approach. It was on the second album, Brand New Maid, of which Thrill is the lead single, that they settled for the hard rock sound. The music video for Thrill went viral, garnering 1.5 million views in a few days, and the rest is history so they say.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Re: The BAND-MAID thread v.Po!!
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2023, 07:28:18 AM »

I'd personally say about 20% of their work hits at that level, that full frontal hard rock approach, though Thrill along with Domination, Warning, Don't You Tell Me, Play, Puzzle, Hate?, and Warning stand a bit above the rest for me.. When you get to it, just hit their recently released Best Of dual CD's, most of their best stuff is on their. Also, I can send you the playlist I made Tim as well.

Send me that playlist and I will also look out for the Best Of.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2023, 11:07:11 AM »

Send me that playlist and I will also look out for the Best Of.

Here's the playlist...the Best Of albums are linked in the OP...

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/37mEkha35vv1SMAGx3tZd4?si=b058922a3b894623

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2023, 06:34:43 PM »
I seriously cannot stop watching this bit...talk about announcing your presence with authority. The girls knew how big this performance was for them, and man did they fucking deliver.

https://youtu.be/sb0c-TcZC-s?t=2704

That crazed look when Kanami goes into full Mincho-mode...damn...

This show is gonna kick so much ass.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2023, 10:35:57 AM »
Little kid shows up at the Salt Lake City show dressed like Miku... This is just too adorable...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/bandmaidfanscafe/permalink/3171065549869424/?mibextid=2JQ9oc

Actually found a yt link... Around the 2 minute mark...

https://youtu.be/65SjBhgyOKM
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 10:47:37 AM by lonestar »

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2023, 12:35:48 PM »
I wish they would come here....
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2023, 12:42:01 PM »
Tickets for their Anaheim show is starting to come down in price and get to the point of me considering purchasing one.  I may pull the trigger.  Never thought I would have the chance to see two weird gimmicky, but extremely talented, Japanese bands, this year, but here we are.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2023, 12:42:52 PM »
Tickets for their Anaheim show is starting to come down in price and get to the point of me considering purchasing one.  I may pull the trigger.  Never thought I would have the chance to see two weird gimmicky, but extremely talented, Japanese bands, this year, but here we are.

Just do it, they're totally worth it.

Who was the other?

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2023, 12:44:18 PM »
^^ Man With a Mission.  These guys.  Saw them last May.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 12:50:45 PM by Anguyen92 »

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2023, 01:09:27 PM »
dude.... :lol

How do you not love the Japanese? :rollin

I still think Ironbunny is my favorite of the gimmick costumes though...

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2023, 01:13:01 PM »
It's off topic but....

SharkSuit
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2023, 01:56:52 PM »

So I just saw a post in the fan group where the opener Starcrawler at the Denver show was disparaging the BM fans...telling the Starcrawler fans to push their way past the 'creepy old dudes' and that the BM fans needed to 'turn their hearing aides up'...

I'm thinking, if you're performing for a crowd where 99% of them are not your fans, you may want to try a little kindness as opposed to fucking insulting them. Fucking stupid.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2023, 02:01:09 PM »

So I just saw a post in the fan group where the opener Starcrawler at the Denver show was disparaging the BM fans...telling the Starcrawler fans to push their way past the 'creepy old dudes' and that the BM fans needed to 'turn their hearing aides up'...

I'm thinking, if you're performing for a crowd where 99% of them are not your fans, you may want to try a little kindness as opposed to fucking insulting them. Fucking stupid.

Starcrawler.....Courtney Love reincarnated..

https://youtube.com/shorts/SQD_-4njlqg?feature=share

Yeah, makes the dudes with the dog heads seem OK.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2023, 02:09:35 PM »

Starcrawler.....Courtney Love reincarnated..

https://youtube.com/shorts/SQD_-4njlqg?feature=share

Yeah, makes the dudes with the dog heads seem OK.

Jesus fuck whoever thought they'd be a good opener for BM was clueless on the fan base. This has Livenation decision written all over it...thank god they'll be off the tour by the time my show comes around.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2023, 03:25:10 PM »

OH GOD.  They were opening for Band-Maid?  I saw them open for Bush last January.  They were terrible.  This was one of these times where after the set was over, everyone had that feeling of, "WTF was that?"  and not in a good sense.  I don't want to endure that again in Anaheim.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2023, 03:27:31 PM »

OH GOD.  They were opening for Band-Maid?  I saw them open for Bush last January.  They were terrible.  This was one of these times where after the set was over, everyone had that feeling of, "WTF was that?"  and not in a good sense.  I don't want to endure that again in Anaheim.

They won't be at any of the California shows thankfully

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2023, 07:27:56 PM »
So KFC is huge in Japan, like that's the traditional Christmas dinner is to order KFC, and they have to order it weeks in advance.

Miku in Salt Lake City, when she finds out KFC started there.... (I checked, the first KFC was in fact in SLC)

https://www.facebook.com/100002177316627/videos/124738170705090?idorvanity=131703054031682

I'm fucking dying... :rollin

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2023, 07:32:26 PM »
Are you in line yet?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #66 on: August 11, 2023, 07:37:12 PM »
Are you in line yet?

My buddy is getting in line at 4am Monday.

I'll probably jump in around 9, I didn't get the UVIP so I'm going in behind all them anyways.

There's already guys eyeballing the Seattle venue for tomorrow's show. They're so fucking hardcore  :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2023, 12:52:07 AM »
Outstanding performance, the girls make a strong case for being one of the best live bands around.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2023, 08:59:20 AM »
Ok...some longer thoughts now that I've gotten some sleep...

Arrived at the venue at 9am, and there were already about 40 people in line, BM fans are obsessive that way, they even have their own merch for the Dawn Patrol. 10 hours in 100 degree Sacramento sun isn't ideal, but we survived with a shit ton of water and the parking lot being right next to us so we could chill in our cars at times. Got into the venue and the show started promptly. And the girls jumped into four ripper tracks right out of the gates, with Domination leading off and the ever amazing Play as well. A brief hello from Miku and they blasted through four more tracks. Another longer MC from the other girls, a quick q&a session and some minor shenanigans all to take a brake and give Miku's voice a rest. Next were six tracks, including some of their more mellow stuff in the middle where the crowd surprised the band by all having glowsticks and made a sea of multi-colored lights. It was obvious Saiki was really touched by this and was a very cool moment. This part ended with the ripper duo of Dice and Hate?, with the now infamous duel between Misa and Mincho. Then came the long MC period where Miku does Omajinai time, this is a traditional part of the show and is always hilarious in how the other girls troll the shit out her during it, it was about 20 minutes, and led right into the final six songs finishing off with the live debut of their latest single Shambles.

The girls are easily one of the tightest sounding live bands out there, not a note is missed, and Saiki's leads are absolutely massive, she's a true force of nature. I managed to score a Miku pick, and a fantastic time all around. Definitely in contention for show of the year.

Here's the interchange and ending of Dont You Tell Me- https://youtu.be/wvhTv8VXcYk

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #69 on: August 15, 2023, 02:30:08 PM »
For anyone interested in seeing Band-Maid in Anaheim today, TickPick has tickets as low as $22.00 all GA, as of right now.  I suggest if you are on the fence, and in the OC or LA area, I say go ahead and nab it.  I pulled the trigger a little too early yesterday.  I could have saved $20.00 if I bought it today.  Could have used that money for parking.....  Nonetheless, I'm excited for this.