Author Topic: The BAND-MAID thread v.Po!!  (Read 4301 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
The BAND-MAID thread v.Po!!
« on: August 03, 2023, 09:22:32 AM »
I think I've gotten enough people into these girls to warrant their own thread. The self described impossibly hard rocking maid band from Japan about to kick off their US tour at Lolapalooza. They got a solid ten year discography and aside from Babymetal are probably the most commercially successful of the J-metal bands.

They just released a 10th anniversary 2 disc best of album, that's on spotify as well as a new song, Shambles. For those unfamiliar, these girls kick serious ass, belying their maid ethos....

Shambles - https://youtu.be/lf0mQOiu8J8

Best of Vol 1 - https://open.spotify.com/album/1y1xNiR0afPdNSpCkq2FBT?si=qZ6NZG-uTAmNp36iahB-2Q&context=spotify%3Aalbum%3A1y1xNiR0afPdNSpCkq2FBT

Best of Vol 2 - https://open.spotify.com/album/7e36yJEfUdb6IEOi3Yv0bU?si=5bQYay01Q8GGfujwqd5DgA&context=spotify%3Aalbum%3A7e36yJEfUdb6IEOi3Yv0bU
« Last Edit: August 05, 2023, 08:51:09 PM by lonestar »

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Re: The BAND-MAID thread po!!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2023, 09:26:38 AM »
I must say that your incessant spamming of them is starting to pay off.  I'd actually already sampled a bit of them before I rejoined here, but I occasionally keep checking out more songs here and there, and I'm certainly intrigued.  You should have been in my roulette.  :p  By the time V2 rolls around they'll probably be banned. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2023, 10:28:31 AM »
They're such a consistent band for sure. And their love shows are an absolute blast, they have such great chemistry together. And no lie, they are probably the best sounding live band I've come across, just fucking pristine sound, and that seems to be the report from every other show friends have seen.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2023, 11:16:19 AM »
Actually if anyone is interested in seeing their performance at Lolapalooza, it'll be streamed on Hulu at 1:45pm EST tomorrow.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2023, 02:34:18 PM »
What's a Hulu?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2023, 02:54:48 PM »

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2023, 03:38:02 PM »
Actually if anyone is interested in seeing their performance at Lolapalooza, it'll be streamed on Hulu at 1:45pm EST tomorrow.

Hopefully I'll remember.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2023, 01:38:57 PM »
The girls are fucking tearing it up....goddamn can they bring it live. :metal

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2023, 06:09:44 PM »

So if we missed it than we can't watch it again?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2023, 06:35:09 PM »

Not sure how long this will be up but...

https://youtu.be/sb0c-TcZC-s

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2023, 06:37:13 PM »

:metal :metal :metal :metal

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2023, 06:43:20 PM »

Watch it now dude... There's a moment between Kanami and Misa during Hate that's mind blowing. Fuck those girls can play

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2023, 06:53:33 PM »
One of the things I find most interesting about them is that it appears that two of them might trade off lead vocals at times.  That's quite a rare occurrence in anything at all approximating their style and format, though one of my favorite bands (All Ends) does it.  Does BAND-MAID do this a fair amount, and if so, what are the songs that best exemplify it? 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2023, 07:01:08 PM »
One of the things I find most interesting about them is that it appears that two of them might trade off lead vocals at times.  That's quite a rare occurrence in anything at all approximating their style and format, though one of my favorite bands (All Ends) does it.  Does BAND-MAID do this a fair amount, and if so, what are the songs that best exemplify it?

I'd say Saiki handles about 80% of the lead duties, there are a few songs that Miku handles alone(Sayonakidori is a good example) and occasionally Miku will take a verse or two, but she's primarily backup and Saiki leads.

It's a great story actually, it's Miku's band, she came up with the idea while working in a Maid cafe, and through luck/fortune hooked up with three premiere musicians in Akane (DR), Misa (BS) and Kanami (GT/songwriter). They added Saiki when the label/mngt thought they needed a vocalist with a lower register, they got her to agree before they told her about the maid outfits, and even then she almost said fuck it lol. Miku didn't even play a lick of guitar when she joined the band, but has been taught through the years by Kanami and is now a decent rhythm player.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2023, 07:07:00 PM »

Watch it now dude... There's a moment between Kanami and Misa during Hate that's mind blowing. Fuck those girls can play

About 30 minutes in and an lovin' it all...

It's neat to also see how the crowd gradually comes in and starts jamming hard to them.

I'm also not too familiar with the song names, nor the names of the girls, but the part where the bass player and guitarist do that duel was awesome.

It just makes me smile to know, that crowd did not know the awesome spectacle they were gonna witness.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2023, 07:08:34 PM »
I'm watching it too, and they really need to ditch the maid outfits.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2023, 07:09:55 PM »

That's like asking Gwar to ditch their costumes.  :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2023, 07:13:33 PM »

Yeah, I'm not generally into costume gimmicks, although it admittedly seems to work for boosting popularity.  But it probably holds back some bands of the type and others from getting more earnest consideration from more "serious" music fans.  *coughGhostcough*   :corn

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2023, 07:13:54 PM »
RJ, to prove you're a real fan, you know what you have to do, right?............

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2023, 07:20:11 PM »
Ah yes...the Fan Maids...there's a few at every show. Not sure I have the legs to pull it off man. The real fans are the ones in the Dawn Patrol. There's a few guys who hit every show of the last tour...that's 16 shows over a four week span. And they were in line at dawn for each one. That's commitment/obsession. Turns out there really solid dudes, I've become friends with a few of them, and one even hooked my brother up with a free VIP ticket for the Nemophila show in SF. He does that for each show he goes to, buys an extra just in case.

About 30 minutes in and an lovin' it all...

It's neat to also see how the crowd gradually comes in and starts jamming hard to them.

I'm also not too familiar with the song names, nor the names of the girls, but the part where the bass player and guitarist do that duel was awesome.

It just makes me smile to know, that crowd did not know the awesome spectacle they were gonna witness.

They actually have two duels...the first is in Don't you tell me...the second in Hate?...trust me the one in Hate? stands out, it just fucking rips.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2023, 07:22:37 PM »
Not sure I have the legs to pull it off man.

I don't think you have any choice now. :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2023, 07:22:59 PM »
As to their names...

L-R... Akane (drums), Saiki (lead vox), Misa (bass), Miku (back vox, gtr), and Kanami (lead gtr)

Also, re-watching it and I gotta say Miku's Zemaitis is such a gorgeous guitar.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2023, 07:25:02 PM »

Why?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2023, 07:31:26 PM »

Why?

Because they don't need them. They clearly have the chops. And only three of them wear them. It's not even like it's a full band thing.

They don't need the gimmick. I don't know, it just comes off as childish to me.

Like...if they want to do the encore with them on..ok, or the first song and then rip them off. That'd be fine too. I wouldn't call them distracting, but I find them unnecessary, and they don't add to the experience for me. It's really doing them a disservice to say..."oh check this band out. They're really good and they dress like maids", because you really can't leave that part out.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2023, 07:35:35 PM »
RJ, to prove you're a real fan, you know what you have to do, right?............

:rollin :rollin

I was just about to say...Props to the guy wearing a full maid outfit.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2023, 07:39:09 PM »
Not sure I have the legs to pull it off man.

I don't think you have any choice now. :lol

I definitely have the legs to pull it off.  :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2023, 07:55:38 PM »

Why?

Because they don't need them. They clearly have the chops. And only three of them wear them. It's not even like it's a full band thing.

Like...if they want to do the encore with them on..ok, or the first song and then rip them off. That'd be fine too. I wouldn't call them distracting, but I find them unnecessary, and they don't add to the experience for me. It's really doing them a disservice to say..."oh check this band out. They're really good and they dress like maids", because you really can't leave that part out.

Well, they won't be ditching them anytime soon, sounds like something you're going to just have to work through. The rest of their fan base is pretty cool with it lol

All the Japanese bands have a style or wardrobe gimmick, lovebites has their goth gowns, Nemophila has their sloppy grunge look, Hanabie has whatever the hell style they do (which is adorable but I have no word for it lol). It's just the thing for them.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2023, 07:58:32 PM »
All the Japanese bands have a style or wardrobe gimmick, lovebites has their goth gowns, Nemophila has their sloppy grunge look, Hanabie has whatever the hell style they do (which is adorable but I have no word for it lol). It's just the thing for them.

Yeah, true.

Still...

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2023, 07:59:22 PM »

Why?

It's like saying Slipknot's masks are a gimmick. Like Kiss makeup is a gimmick...and we all know how that went when Kiss ditched that "gimmick".

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2023, 08:00:39 PM »

Why?

It's like saying Slipknot's masks are a gimmick. Like Kiss makeup is a gimmick...and we all know how that went when Kiss ditched that "gimmick".

No, I know.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2023, 08:02:53 PM »
There are certain types of potential fans who are always going to struggle with visual gimmicks, whether it's KISS, Twisted Sister, Behemoth, Slipknot, Ad Infinitum, etc.  I think I myself have a tendency to write off bands due to it, so it's something I've had to wrestle with. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2023, 08:11:09 PM »
Here's a funny one...so I was in line for Asterism with a bunch of the hardcore BAND MAID fans, and we were having a similar discussion, and they were all "it's about the music man..." and the like. So I piped in "so, if they all had dicks under their maid outfits you'd be cool"...man did things get quiet and awkward  :rollin :rollin

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2023, 08:53:47 PM »
Here's a funny one...so I was in line for Asterism with a bunch of the hardcore BAND MAID fans, and we were having a similar discussion, and they were all "it's about the music man..." and the like. So I piped in "so, if they all had dicks under their maid outfits you'd be cool"...man did things get quiet and awkward  :rollin :rollin

:rollin :rollin

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2023, 09:06:49 PM »

You bastard.   Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2023, 09:57:17 PM »

You bastard.   Lol

Definitely one of my prouder moments  :lol