Author Topic: DT16 Timeline Thread - MP finished recording drum parts, recording continues  (Read 98071 times)

Kyo (+ 1 Hidden) and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline MirrorMask

Re: DT16 Timeline Thread - Writing continues
« Reply #1575 on: March 28, 2024, 01:48:35 PM »
Ok, epic closing track all but confirmed  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1576 on: March 28, 2024, 01:59:08 PM »
Closing epic is all I needed to hear, but this could be anything from 11 minutes to 50 minutes given their examples.  :lol

I suspect another side-length epic in the 18-24 minute range, probably Side D of the double vinyl they'll be putting out. So far it seems like they've written at least 5 or 6 songs, and there's at least one epic (the closing track). Sounds like a typical DT album, but I'm hoping the music is a progression of where they've been going since DOT and AVFTTOTW, mixed with some classic DT flare.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1577 on: March 28, 2024, 02:06:07 PM »
OK, 8 tracks.  First 7 total 15 minutes.  Track 8 = 60 minutes.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1578 on: March 28, 2024, 02:10:25 PM »
Track 8 = 60 minutes.

With each part indexed so we can endlessly argue whether it's actually one song or a collection of songs.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 02:16:39 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online HOF

« Reply #1579 on: March 28, 2024, 02:14:30 PM »
DT just posted on IG

Big DT Milestone: this week we just wrapped the writing on what will likely be the closing track on #DT16
The closing track on a DT album being an epic is a tradition going on over 30 years now! Here's a handful of em...which are your favorites? (SWIPE

1992 - Learning To Live (11:32)

1995 - A Change Of Seasons (23:10)

1997 - Trial Of Tears (13:07)

1999 - Finally Free (12:00)

2002 - Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence (42:02)

2003 - In The Name Of God (14:15)

2005 - Octavarium (24:00)

2007 - In The Presence Of Enemies Pt 2 (16:38)

2009 - The Count Of Tuscany (19:15)

2013 - Illumination Theory (19:57)
(20:23)
2021 - A View From The Top Of The World
#dreamtheater #dt16 #dreamtheater2024

Wait a minute, this is not a closing track!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1580 on: March 28, 2024, 02:16:56 PM »
With each part indexed so we can endless argue whether it's actually one song or a collection of songs.

Oh please no! :rollin
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1581 on: March 28, 2024, 02:53:23 PM »
With each part indexed so we can endlessly argue whether it's actually one song or a collection of songs.

Is it a suite? A single song? A song cycle? A medley?!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1582 on: March 28, 2024, 02:54:47 PM »
Is it a suite? A single song? A song cycle? A medley?!

-Marc.

Let's have a poll. Where's WildRanger?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1583 on: March 28, 2024, 03:43:21 PM »
It is. And it's the opening track. All those live tracks were just bonus tracks.   ;)
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1584 on: March 28, 2024, 04:02:25 PM »
Wait a sec, didn’t MP just post that they were STARTING to write it?!?

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #1585 on: March 28, 2024, 04:02:33 PM »
i would've closed I&W, so there's that as well

Offline emtee

« Reply #1586 on: March 28, 2024, 04:11:13 PM »
Exciting news!

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #1587 on: March 28, 2024, 04:12:48 PM »
Wait a sec, didn’t MP just post that they were STARTING to write it?!?

10 days ago MP posted they were about to start Song 6.

I think is also important to note that it doesn't mean they are done writing the album, but that what seems like the closing track was written.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #1588 on: March 28, 2024, 04:14:52 PM »
JLB  reposted that with the comment that writing is done for the new album, so the next phase will probably be recording overdubs and writing lyrics.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1589 on: March 28, 2024, 04:20:43 PM »
Yeah, it's confusing.

DT's page message clearly states that they finished writing the closing epic. James reposted that saying generically "it's a wrap".

I hope it's not just 6 songs. Unless the excitement of the reunions made them do six A Change of Seasons  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1590 on: March 28, 2024, 04:26:32 PM »

I hope it's not just 6 songs. Unless the excitement of the reunions made them do six A Change of Seasons  ;D

So...More Black Clouds and Extra Silver Linings?

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1591 on: March 28, 2024, 04:29:03 PM »
I hope it's not just 6 songs.

Why not? The last album they wrote with only six songs is the universally praised Black Clouds & Silver Linings.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #1592 on: March 28, 2024, 04:38:36 PM »
you forgot to make "universally liked" green

Online TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #1593 on: March 28, 2024, 05:08:49 PM »
OK, 8 tracks.  First 7 total 15 minutes.  Track 8 = 60 minutes.

60 minutes is enough time to fit in some Rhapsody in Chungus samples
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #1594 on: March 28, 2024, 05:10:38 PM »
send them a fax so they don't forget!

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1595 on: March 28, 2024, 05:15:29 PM »
universally praised Black Clouds & Silver Linings.

uhhh you sure about that?

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1596 on: March 28, 2024, 05:43:12 PM »
But some of you guys are assuming they only wrote 6 tracks. Mike posted about starting track 6 more than a week ago, and then about working on another epic later that week. Those could be completely different songs.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #1597 on: March 28, 2024, 05:47:04 PM »
uhhh you sure about that?

lol yeah...I don't remember that being the case at the time but maybe I am remembering incorrectly.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #1598 on: March 28, 2024, 05:55:36 PM »

Hah I noticed that too. I incurred way too much brain damage thinking about this but I was on the bus and had some extra time to contemplate. I wondered if Pale Blue Dot should be on there given its epic nature. Yes, Viper King is the last song but it really is a bonus track so arguably understood to sit apart from the core vibe of the album just as the songs that follow ACOS sit apart. If anything I think PBD has much more of an epic vibe than a song like Trial of Tears-- song length being the only thing that appears to earn the latter this classification.

Breaking All Illusions is the 2nd to last song but just screams epic. Yes, I know that violates part of the post's criteria in a way that ACOS arguably does not. Just pointing out it is an epic and *almost* closes out the album.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #1599 on: March 28, 2024, 06:21:30 PM »
Maybe it's time for DT to dust off The School Song, write some lyrics and add it as a Viper King-esque bonus track.   ;)

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1600 on: March 28, 2024, 06:28:01 PM »
But some of you guys are assuming they only wrote 6 tracks. Mike posted about starting track 6 more than a week ago, and then about working on another epic later that week. Those could be completely different songs.
Exactly. No need to jump to conclusions just yet. Let's wait to see what the tracklisting is first.

Hah I noticed that too. I incurred way too much brain damage thinking about this but I was on the bus and had some extra time to contemplate. I wondered if Pale Blue Dot should be on there given its epic nature. Yes, Viper King is the last song but it really is a bonus track so arguably understood to sit apart from the core vibe of the album just as the songs that follow ACOS sit apart. If anything I think PBD has much more of an epic vibe than a song like Trial of Tears-- song length being the only thing that appears to earn the latter this classification.

Breaking All Illusions is the 2nd to last song but just screams epic. Yes, I know that violates part of the post's criteria in a way that ACOS arguably does not. Just pointing out it is an epic and *almost* closes out the album.
Both PBD and BAI also came to mind, as did Scarred, which all seem to fit the same general criteria. With PBD, it's the end of the album proper, and with BAI and Scarred, they were kinda added almost as afterthoughts – not that they were, but you kinda get the feeling that they didn't quite fit within their respective albums, so they were tacked on to the end almost as if they were bonus tracks..
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #1601 on: March 28, 2024, 06:35:23 PM »
Yeah, it's confusing.

DT's page message clearly states that they finished writing the closing epic. James reposted that saying generically "it's a wrap".

Except it doesn't. 🤪 Just what will be the closing track. I know. Semantics. With the post that info is included in, it highly suggests it's an epic. Or it could just be a way to engage the fan base on social media. "What's your favorite epic?" Am I reading too much into into it? Probably... 😁
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline Progmaniac1988

« Reply #1602 on: March 28, 2024, 06:57:00 PM »
lol yeah...I don't remember that being the case at the time but maybe I am remembering incorrectly.

Personally I never got the hate BCSL got. Some amazing songs on there. Nightmare, Count, Best of times, Shattered fortress all great imo. Right of passage and wither are probably my least listened to on the album, but those are still solid songs too. 🤷 maybe I’m alone here, but never understood the hate.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #1603 on: March 28, 2024, 07:14:53 PM »
Personally I never got the hate BCSL got. Some amazing songs on there. Nightmare, Count, Best of times, Shattered fortress all great imo. Right of passage and wither are probably my least listened to on the album, but those are still solid songs too. 🤷 maybe I’m alone here, but never understood the hate.
Its my number 2 record right now. No skips. Either, the heart is engaged or the head is banging.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1604 on: March 28, 2024, 07:18:40 PM »
Agreed, BC&SL is a fantastic album!

Online TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #1605 on: March 28, 2024, 07:44:53 PM »
i've always been quite fond of that one
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Progmaniac1988

« Reply #1606 on: March 28, 2024, 08:16:24 PM »
Glad I’m not alone here! Lol over the years it has become one of my most listened to DT albums.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1607 on: March 28, 2024, 08:25:12 PM »
Maybe it's time for DT to dust off The School Song, write some lyrics and add it as a Viper King-esque bonus track.   ;)

I wouldn't mind that at all :lol

Exactly. No need to jump to conclusions just yet. Let's wait to see what the tracklisting is first.

Then we can jump to all the conclusions we want ;D

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1608 on: March 28, 2024, 08:49:46 PM »

I like the album enough. TCOT is a top 10 song. TSF is underrated as hell. Wither is a nice change of pace for them. ANTR and TBOT are okay once every few years, though both contain incredible bits (Beautiful Agony and the solo on TBOT) and some cringey stuff in those same songs. Forsaken could be deleted from history and no one would care. An album that could have been trimmed or edited some and maybe would be a top 3 album.

Online faizoff

« Reply #1609 on: March 28, 2024, 08:58:43 PM »
MP commented on the post about epics
Mike Portnoy
For those asking: not to take away from Only A Matter Of Time, Space-Dye Vest, BTS or PBD as great album closers…they just don’t fall under the double-digit “Epic” description (ex: 10+ Mins) that is the point of this post 😉
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan