Author Topic: Re: DT16 Timeline Thread - John finished recording guitar parts  (Read 123464 times)

nick_z, King Puppies and the Acid Guppies, naimad and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline pg1067

Re: DT16 Timeline Thread - DT16 sessions initiated
« Reply #1260 on: March 01, 2024, 09:36:21 AM »
I’m sure he was surprised they played Space Dye Vest and Don’t Look Past Me - aside from You Or Me, those are probably the rarest and most unlikely songs of the entire first MP era to appear in a live set. I’d love that level of depth to continue, with FII b-sides or more obscure songs being brought out.

Raw Dog!
Raw Dog!
Raw Dog!

Not only obscure and often forgotten, but it's an instrumental, so James can use it as a vocal break between other songs!

-Marc.

I don't know how contracts and ownership works all that much when it comes to the music industry, but would DT be able to play that? Or does the gaming studio have the rights to it?

I'll preface this by saying that we don't know what contracts DT might have signed, and that could change things.

According to the copyright registration - https://cocatalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?v1=6&ti=1,6&Search%5FArg=raw%20dog&Search%5FCode=TALL&CNT=25&PID=BQCOFUVdcNuj8I9b8MbiQHc9JmtGT&SEQ=20240301112720&SID=3 - Raw Dog was written by JM, JP and MP (not JR).  They were the authors under the U.S. Copyright Act and, therefore, owned the copyright.  The copyright registration indicates that they transferred the copyright to Ytse Jams Inc. (as they do with all of their musical compositions) and WB Music Corp.  As you might expect, Ytse Jams Inc. is corporation owned and controlled by the members of Dream Theater.

Because DT retained co-ownership of the copyright, it has the right under section 106 of the Copyright Act to perform the work publicly, UNLESS there is a contract that says otherwise.  Even if they did not retain co-ownership, they could perform it publicly at any venue that has a blanket license from whichever of ASCAP or BMI that administers the copyright on behalf of Ytse Jams Inc.  That's why cover bands can legally play cover songs.  Legitimate music venues have blanket licenses from ASCAP and BMI in exchange for royalty payments.

Tl;dr:  Unless they signed a contract with the video game company agreeing never to play the song live, they have the legal right to do so.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1261 on: March 01, 2024, 10:03:04 AM »
Cool cool cool. Thanks for the explanation.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #1262 on: March 01, 2024, 01:31:02 PM »
i think MP definitely kept tabs on the band and knew more than the selected quote let on

i also think he was trying to be diplomatic/not sound like an insane person in the interview so of course he is going to be a little more armchair rhetorical about it

i think we can all agree that the next year or two at least in the bands future is very bright! 😇
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1263 on: March 01, 2024, 01:50:15 PM »
During a short interview Sweetwater just posted with JP at NAMM, he said they'll be touring "before you know it". I bet there's definitely something in the works for June/July-ish.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1264 on: March 01, 2024, 01:52:31 PM »
 :metal :metal

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #1265 on: March 01, 2024, 02:53:20 PM »
During a short interview Sweetwater just posted with JP at NAMM, he said they'll be touring "before you know it". I bet there's definitely something in the works for June/July-ish.
Nice find. Yeah, this settles for me, I think. You don't say "we'll be on tour before you know it" when the album is still being written and therefore 9-12+ months away from release. Plus MP saying touring is the thing he's most looking forward to.

Good stuff.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #1266 on: March 01, 2024, 05:38:21 PM »
Nice find. Yeah, this settles for me, I think. You don't say "we'll be on tour before you know it" when the album is still being written and therefore 9-12+ months away from release. Plus MP saying touring is the thing he's most looking forward to.

Good stuff.

If the album is written, how long would have taken them to write it? I thought they just got into the studio a couple weeks ago.
Disclaimer: All opinions stated are my own unless otherwise specified. I don't personally know any present or former members of Dream Theater. From time to time where the context is obvious, I may state an opinion without clearly labeling every single part of it as such. I cannot predict the future.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1267 on: March 01, 2024, 05:43:02 PM »

Good stuff.

If the album is written, how long would have taken them to write it? I thought they just got into the studio a couple weeks ago.

IIRC, the quickest they'd ever written an album was TOT, which took 3 weeks to write (not record, track, overdub, mix, master, and press - that takes a few more months). Depending on how fast they do everything, I doubt they'd release the album before the end of the year.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #1268 on: March 01, 2024, 05:47:25 PM »

Good stuff.

IIRC, the quickest they'd ever written an album was TOT, which took 3 weeks to write (not record, track, overdub, mix, master, and press - that takes a few more months). Depending on how fast they do everything, I doubt they'd release the album before the end of the year.

-Marc.

I thought it was DOT and TOT that that took like 17 days to write. Am I wrong about that?

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1269 on: March 01, 2024, 05:47:46 PM »
IIRC, the quickest they'd ever written an album was TOT, which took 3 weeks to write (not record, track, overdub, mix, master, and press - that takes a few more months).
Awake and d/t each were also written in about 3 weeks time.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

• PR permission
« Reply #1270 on: March 01, 2024, 05:49:57 PM »
Usually how long does it take from end of writing until announcement or teaser...anything at all lol
Disclaimer: All opinions stated are my own unless otherwise specified. I don't personally know any present or former members of Dream Theater. From time to time where the context is obvious, I may state an opinion without clearly labeling every single part of it as such. I cannot predict the future.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1271 on: March 01, 2024, 05:53:12 PM »
Usually how long does it take from end of writing until announcement or teaser...anything at all lol
It depends, but I would expect we won't hear anything until June or July at the earliest.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1272 on: March 01, 2024, 05:59:32 PM »
It depends, but I would expect we won't hear anything until June or July at the earliest.

That'd be best case scenario, I think, especially given the lead times needed for vinyl to get pressed. If the album gets mastered by the end of Spring, I could see a Summer announcement and a late Fall/Early Winter release, but that's being optimistic.

Realistically, I can see them release the album this time next year, and do a 3-4 month tour this year in the interim. Then tour next spring for the new album and hit alternate cities and venues they don't hit this year.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1273 on: March 01, 2024, 07:51:07 PM »

That'd be best case scenario, I think, especially given the lead times needed for vinyl to get pressed. If the album gets mastered by the end of Spring, I could see a Summer announcement and a late Fall/Early Winter release, but that's being optimistic.

Realistically, I can see them release the album this time next year, and do a 3-4 month tour this year in the interim. Then tour next spring for the new album and hit alternate cities and venues they don't hit this year.
What I'm speaking of would just be a lead single with the release being done digitally during the summer so that if they did a summer run in Europe, they'd have a new song to include in the setlist, not unlike what they've done in the past. Then they'd release the album in September or maybe October with the first leg of a proper tour following that fall/early winter. That's pretty much what they did with ADToE, which they started work on in January 2011, so the timeline could theoretically be similar.

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1274 on: March 01, 2024, 08:31:46 PM »
I see no reason the album can't be released this year.

And on that same thought, I have no idea what takes Dream Theater so long to mix/master an album.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #1275 on: March 02, 2024, 01:14:12 AM »
mixing/mastering doesn't take that long. it's getting a release schedule going, artwork, vinyl pressing etc that all take time planning.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1276 on: March 02, 2024, 01:44:30 AM »
I see no reason the album can't be released this year.

I think there's no way it doesn't come out this year. I'd guess September.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #1277 on: March 02, 2024, 04:32:21 AM »
What I'm speaking of would just be a lead single with the release being done digitally during the summer so that if they did a summer run in Europe, they'd have a new song to include in the setlist, not unlike what they've done in the past. Then they'd release the album in September or maybe October with the first leg of a proper tour following that fall/early winter. That's pretty much what they did with ADToE, which they started work on in January 2011, so the timeline could theoretically be similar.

This sounds good! Wasn't AVFTTOTW on a similar trajectory as well?
"Whether by your will or not, there is no ship now that can bear me hence." ~ Arwen, Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #1278 on: March 02, 2024, 08:24:19 AM »

I really hope this would be it. I'm longing for more Dream Theater songs. Can't wait. Really, can't wait. And if they do legs in Europe, even if I have to take the freakin' plane to Spain, Italy or Poland for that, I will be there.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline HOF

« Reply #1279 on: March 02, 2024, 09:36:17 AM »
mixing/mastering doesn't take that long. it's getting a release schedule going, artwork, vinyl pressing etc that all take time planning.

It may be getting a little better, but since the pandemic there have been about 6 months production schedules for vinyl at least. Even CD production probably takes a few months of lead time. The vinyl release could come later (really they should do those separately anyway), but even if the album is recorded and mixed by June, they may wait until early 2025 for the release since bands don't like to put stuff out too close to Christmas.

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #1280 on: March 02, 2024, 09:42:05 AM »

It may be getting a little better, but since the pandemic there have been about 6 months production schedules for vinyl at least. Even CD production probably takes a few months of lead time. The vinyl release could come later (really they should do those separately anyway), but even if the album is recorded and mixed by June, they may wait until early 2025 for the release since bands don't like to put stuff out too close to Christmas.

Yeah, they should do those separate/later. Some of us don't care about vinyl anyway, so have a separate release for that for the benefit of the nerdy collectors (and so more revenue for the band in between tours and other releases). Give us the music!!!
"Whether by your will or not, there is no ship now that can bear me hence." ~ Arwen, Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1281 on: March 02, 2024, 10:40:28 AM »
Yeah, please don't delay this till next year.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1282 on: March 02, 2024, 11:11:09 AM »
I also bet/hope that they will do something similar to the ADTOE cicle: single release, small pre-tour, album release by september/october and, after that, tour promoting the album. Fingers crossed anyway!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1283 on: March 02, 2024, 12:28:59 PM »
It's true that there's some lead time, but I would think if they have a schedule that they follow, perhaps they can put their name down in the schedule for creating CDs and maybe even for pressing the vinyl ahead of time so that shortly after they complete the master phase the CD and vinyl can be manufactured instead of having to wait several months. I think they're a big enough name that they could do that, although I could be completely off, since I don't know any of the behind-the-scenes stuff regarding manufacturing.

Offline PMSummer

« Reply #1284 on: March 02, 2024, 12:46:22 PM »
Don't worry, Syme only needs about 10-15min to whip up a cover!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1285 on: March 02, 2024, 03:41:23 PM »

:lol

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #1286 on: March 02, 2024, 03:49:40 PM »
you're right, i forgot...

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1287 on: March 02, 2024, 05:43:40 PM »
:lol
I was waiting for this!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #1288 on: March 03, 2024, 01:33:38 PM »
Some of us don't care about vinyl anyway...

Now that hurts... nothing beats vinyl.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1289 on: March 03, 2024, 02:31:05 PM »

Vinyl is merely a novelty now but whatever blows your hair back man. I had no other choice growing up. I still play CD's. I don't miss having skips and pops during a song let alone having to put a penny on the needle just in case I farted in my room and it skipped.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #1290 on: March 03, 2024, 03:43:48 PM »
95% of new physical music releases were not recorded and made with the vinyl format in consideration, on that ground alone most of the time it's hard to justify a purchase of newer stuff. Sometimes artists do limited edition versions and the consideration for the format is there, but lots of records were just not made with the format in mind, so you end up with annoying things like 4 sides where each side is 15 minutes, or weird balance issues where it's a single LP but one side has too much music on it, etc.

i
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #1291 on: March 03, 2024, 04:05:03 PM »

Vinyl is merely a novelty now but whatever blows your hair back man. I had no other choice growing up. I still play CD's. I don't miss having skips and pops during a song let alone having to put a penny on the needle just in case I farted in my room and it skipped.

:mehlin SO TRUE....

• PR permission
« Reply #1292 on: March 03, 2024, 05:08:17 PM »
At this point if I buy vinyl it's for wall art.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1293 on: March 03, 2024, 06:14:04 PM »
I’m a CD guy to my grave. Same goes for movies.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1294 on: March 03, 2024, 06:53:06 PM »
I get the love some people have for vinyl, but if that delays the album release, then no thanks.