Author Topic: Re: DT16 Timeline Thread - John finished recording guitar parts  (Read 123457 times)

evz and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline MirrorMask

Re: DT16 Timeline Thread - DT16 sessions initiated
« Reply #1015 on: February 21, 2024, 02:17:48 AM »
Chances of a double album?

I’d be down for a Maiden or Metallica style “double” at around 80-90 minutes. Longer is fine but I’m hoping for a good full album listen

Yeah, same here. Six Degree was a "we couldn't contain ourselves while writing a big epic" double album, The Book of Souls and Hardwired are "we wrote more material and songs than the traditional CD running time".

If the creativity flows that much, go for it! even though I'd rather have them contain themselves within 70 minutes or so.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online gborland

« Reply #1016 on: February 21, 2024, 03:41:35 AM »
One album, 75 minutes max. New material. No covers, no old stuff, no distractions, no other wastes of time and energy.
Graham Borland

Offline Kocak

« Reply #1017 on: February 21, 2024, 03:50:04 AM »
Quality over quantity.

Fingers crossed for a 45-minute banger.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1018 on: February 21, 2024, 04:19:42 AM »
Yeah, I don't get people saying that. Your idea of a banger is quite possibly different to my idea of a banger.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1019 on: February 21, 2024, 04:46:21 AM »
One album, 75 minutes max. New material. No covers, no old stuff, no distractions, no other wastes of time and energy.
This sounds good to me.  :tup

Offline Kocak

« Reply #1020 on: February 21, 2024, 04:56:27 AM »
Yeah, I don't get people saying that. Your idea of a banger is quite possibly different to my idea of a banger.

Potentially, I just want a concise album with no filler moments.
But tastes differ and that's fine.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1021 on: February 21, 2024, 06:10:49 AM »
Of course. But my underlying point is it might as well be 75 minutes long. Greater chance of both of us being pleased.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1022 on: February 21, 2024, 06:41:53 AM »
For sure, quality is more important than quantity.

But if they come up with 2 discs worth of music that is all killer, no filler, then great.

Also, keep in mind that the artist is the worst judge of what is quality.  Think about the worst albums or songs you can think of.  Most of those artists thought that was good shit.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1023 on: February 21, 2024, 06:46:21 AM »
The last time they made a double album it was a big snoozer so I hope they don't do that. Generally speaking I feel like most of their albums are 15-20 minutes too long. Give me a really tight 60 minute album and i'll be happy.

Online gborland

« Reply #1024 on: February 21, 2024, 06:47:17 AM »
Also, keep in mind that the artist is the worst judge of what is quality.  Think about the worst albums or songs you can think of.  Most of those artists thought that was good shit.

By DT, or by all artists? Either way, the answer is The Astonishing.  ;D
Graham Borland

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1025 on: February 21, 2024, 06:52:15 AM »
Give me a really tight 60 minute album and i'll be happy.

But again... this is all in the eye of the beholder. One man's tight is another's, erm... :lol
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #1026 on: February 21, 2024, 06:56:03 AM »
they should go for single vinyl length, 2 sides/"acts" ranging 18-22 minutes

i'd spin that shit so often knowing i don't need to go get another disc out of the sleeve :lol

2024 is the year albums get reasonable length again, no more 75+ min BS for a single album
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1027 on: February 21, 2024, 07:13:39 AM »
I love this forum.  I really do (no sarcasm).  The passion is indescribable.

But for me?  7 minutes, 8 minutes, 78 minutes 178 minutes, I don't care.  Epics, no epics, ballads, no ballads, I don't care.  Covers, I don't care.  I just want something that makes me happy.  I can't for the life of me imagine saying "wow, that album is 78 minutes; if it was only 71 minutes, I'd be so much more happy."   I don't have one CD in my collection like that (MAYBE "We Can't Dance", but it's complicated by the fact that the record is so schizophrenic to me). 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1028 on: February 21, 2024, 07:34:42 AM »

By DT, or by all artists? Either way, the answer is The Astonishing.  ;D
All artists.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline YngVai

« Reply #1029 on: February 21, 2024, 07:46:10 AM »
I actually agree that a concise, 1LP statement would be cool. I appreciate that more bands (well, outside of prog) seem to be writing for vinyl again and I think it leads to a more cohesive release. I&W fits nicely on one disc and I doubt anyone here feels like they're missing anything by the end of LtL.

Offline JLa

« Reply #1030 on: February 21, 2024, 07:48:25 AM »
I know this might be a bit weird, but I hope they use a phrase from the album lyrics to name the album. I don't know why exactly, but I really enjoyed that. Don't know why they stopped doing it. Fingers crossed they'll bring it back. :)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2024, 10:04:14 AM by JLa »

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1031 on: February 21, 2024, 08:18:44 AM »
I know this might be a bit weird, but I hope they use a phrase from the album lyrics to name the album. I don't know why exactly, but I really enjoyed that. Don't know why they stopped doing it. Finger's crossed they'll bring it back. :)

They were about to do it for the first Mangini album but then they changed their minds.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1032 on: February 21, 2024, 08:57:06 AM »

But for me?  7 minutes, 8 minutes, 78 minutes 178 minutes, I don't care.  Epics, no epics, ballads, no ballads, I don't care.  Covers, I don't care.  I just want something that makes me happy.  I can't for the life of me imagine saying "wow, that album is 78 minutes; if it was only 71 minutes, I'd be so much more happy."   I don't have one CD in my collection like that (MAYBE "We Can't Dance", but it's complicated by the fact that the record is so schizophrenic to me).

I can name tons of albums that are ## length that could be ## length to be better, but none of that is known until after the release. My point being, I basically agree, I don't care too much about length or track variety leading up to release.  Let the band do their thing and hopefully I like it. I just want something good or that makes me happy, it can come to fruition in millions of different ways.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1033 on: February 21, 2024, 09:44:10 AM »
Quality over quantity.

Yeah...I'm baffled at the comments that a double album would automatically be "awesome" or "incredible" - especially since the last double album they released was the worst album in the band's catalog.

But for me?  7 minutes, 8 minutes, 78 minutes 178 minutes, I don't care.  Epics, no epics, ballads, no ballads, I don't care.

Yeah...that exactly.

ADTOE was extremely long (77:01), but it was a half and half album.

DT12 was 10 minutes shorter and solid from top to bottom.

TA was...well...

DOT was more than 20 minutes shorter than ADTOE.  Its highs weren't as high, but it was concise and easy to listen to.

View fell between ADTOE and DT12 in length.

In other words, album length has nothing to do with quality.

Chances of a double album?  Somewhere between 1-99%.  Will it automatically be "awesome" or "incredible" if it is a double album?  Of course not.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1034 on: February 21, 2024, 09:57:41 AM »
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=946973333464005&set=a.256865122474833

Another Day At The Office…
#DT16 #DreamTheater2024

Looks like Mike blurred out their white board!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1035 on: February 21, 2024, 10:29:34 AM »
He's learned his lesson!  :) :) :)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1036 on: February 21, 2024, 11:00:21 AM »
He's learned his lesson!  :) :) :)

I still remember the whole "we're not revealing who's in my new band with Derek yet" debacle from back then :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

« Reply #1037 on: February 21, 2024, 11:03:42 AM »
+1 to MP's shoes. I got the same pair of vans. It's nice knowing I still have so many connections to him
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Weymolith

• THIS IS NOT HERE
  • Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1038 on: February 21, 2024, 11:58:38 AM »

That's what she said
As a general rule, never play with boxes that open portals to Hell.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1039 on: February 21, 2024, 12:06:03 PM »

That's what she said

Depends on how you cross your fingers.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1040 on: February 21, 2024, 01:06:29 PM »
Looks like Mike blurred out their white board!

:lol that's great, good for him though to think of that, but he should write up the board with a crock of shit just to see the internet go overboard interpreting it all.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #1041 on: February 21, 2024, 01:07:24 PM »
Reading through these last few pages, you guys are bonkers. Lol.

Tbh, I don’t really even know what to expect. I feel like it would make sense if they played it safe ala ADTOE, but it also makes sense for them to want to really knock it out of the park with something big and special. I could also SORTA understand if they got a taste of that grammy and want to try to make that happen again especially with MP back in the band, though that wouldn’t be in their character to make music specifically to cater to something like that (The Alien was FAR from what I’d expect to win a Grammy out of DT’s catalogue in the first place). Overall, I feel like MP would want to mark his return to the band with something really special, but if that’s the case then the question is, is he pushing hard for something like that, or is he really trying not to out of respect for the potential new working dynamics within the DT org. And that’s assuming JP and the others are leaning more towards playing it safe, which might be the complete opposite of what’s going on. 🤔

Sorry for the ramble, just verbalizing the thoughts I’ve had over the last couple of months.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released through my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios
www.starcommandstudios.com

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1042 on: February 21, 2024, 01:20:19 PM »
+1 to MP's shoes. I got the same pair of vans. It's nice knowing I still have so many connections to him

I got my first pair of Vans slip-ons back when I was still in grade school - probably 1979 or 1980.  They were custom:  one show was blue in the front, yellow in the middle, and red in the back, while the other shoe had the opposite color scheme.  They took 2-3 weeks to be made and cost $18.01 ($16.99 plus 6% sales tax).  I have no idea why I remember the exact amount.  MP's are just basic black slip-ons.  I'm wearing something similar right now (just with a black-on-black checked pattern).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

« Reply #1043 on: February 21, 2024, 02:13:51 PM »

I got my first pair of Vans slip-ons back when I was still in grade school - probably 1979 or 1980.  They were custom:  one show was blue in the front, yellow in the middle, and red in the back, while the other shoe had the opposite color scheme.  They took 2-3 weeks to be made and cost $18.01 ($16.99 plus 6% sales tax).  I have no idea why I remember the exact amount.  MP's are just basic black slip-ons.  I'm wearing something similar right now (just with a black-on-black checked pattern).

they still do custom ones on their website (i think?) but i never did it because of the premium. as for which slip ons i prefer, i used to pretty much exclusively wear the checkered ones, but nowadays i tend to buy the solid colors ones mostly, either black, white, the grey one they have, or my personal favorite, which is the ones MP is wearing here where they're black but have the white trim :tup
Welcome to the Forums!

Online gborland

« Reply #1044 on: February 21, 2024, 02:43:36 PM »
That's a worrying photo from MP. He's wearing jeans rather than gym wear, which means he's not drumming hard enough.
Graham Borland

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1045 on: February 21, 2024, 02:52:29 PM »
Re: Vans

I still buy a new pair of “Spiccolli Specials” once every couple of years.

I was a bit stunned when the kid working the counter was unaware that it was their flagship shoe…and he had never even heard of Fast Times at Ridgemont High.  Dude! You wouldn’t even BE here right now if it weren’t for THIS shoe being in THAT movie!!  :rollin :rollin :rollin
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

« Reply #1046 on: February 21, 2024, 03:19:27 PM »
That's a worrying photo from MP. He's wearing jeans rather than gym wear, which means he's not drumming hard enough.

the caption does say "a day at the office" maybe he was filling out his W2 for HR today and not actually recording drum parts
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #1047 on: February 22, 2024, 04:06:29 AM »

But for me?  7 minutes, 8 minutes, 78 minutes 178 minutes, I don't care.  Epics, no epics, ballads, no ballads, I don't care.  Covers, I don't care.  I just want something that makes me happy.  I can't for the life of me imagine saying "wow, that album is 78 minutes; if it was only 71 minutes, I'd be so much more happy."

100% agree

I don't have one CD in my collection like that (MAYBE "We Can't Dance", but it's complicated by the fact that the record is so schizophrenic to me).

I only have two cd's in my entire collection... and that's because the band didn't release them properly on vinyl (Live Scenes and Greatest Hit). Once had so many music, but last years you'll only find Pink Floyds prettiest and Dream Theater in here...
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #1048 on: February 22, 2024, 06:09:44 AM »

I will only be happy if the next album is a double album of Metropolis Pt. 3 and 4, with Pt. 4 being on the first disc. :millahhhh
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1049 on: February 22, 2024, 08:38:46 AM »
I'm sure the band will want to make it especially special on the music side, I'd give a 60% chance of a double album and 20% of Metropolis Pt. 3 happening.

By the way, I have this weird conspiracy / headcanon that The Astonishing was at some point supposed to be Metropolis Pt. 3, and it either evolved out of it or the band chickened out late in the process and removed the tenuous links to the loose Metropolis concepts.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco