Author Topic: Re: DT16 Timeline Thread - John finished recording guitar parts  (Read 123421 times)

Logain Ablar, lightbug, evz (+ 1 Hidden) and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Mr.Mister

Re: DT16 Timeline Thread - Studio time slated to begin late 2023/early 2024
« Reply #280 on: November 27, 2023, 09:27:36 AM »
So this is totally borrowed from South Park's creators talking about how to write stories but I think it applies to my hopes for DT16. They argue when you write a story if the structure is that of "and then this happen, and then this happen" is not as interesting as "but then this happens". When I think of the songs/albums I like the most I can see that same logic. For instance, Octavarium is a song that keeps you guessing, the first 5 min and the sounds at min 12, and the at the end are not what you expect, and yet, they are cohesive to the song.

Even for TA there were moments in that album that I love to this day because they did not follow the traditional song structure. I can think of the ending to AVFTTOTW song, weird? Yes but I was so happy it wasn't the expected quasi-mandatory crescendo happy ending that come from these type of songs. Metropolis is another great example from their earlier days. One band that did this beautifully was A7X with their last record. Even if you don't like the sound I think we can appreciate it was interesting.

By the same token, when i think of the last two MP albums I remember seeing studio clips where it was like "exellent then you solo, then you solo, and then we come back to the chorus. One of the reasons I don't revisit these as much.

I hope they keep breaking these patterns, take me in directions you can't see coming.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #281 on: November 27, 2023, 07:51:14 PM »
I am cool with whatever they decide to do so long as it sounds like a Dream Theater album but isn't entirely predictable. I don't really have a desire to hear a Metropolis part III but I guess it could be cool if they were really musically inspired to write it.
Disclaimer: All opinions stated are my own unless otherwise specified. I don't personally know any present or former members of Dream Theater. From time to time where the context is obvious, I may state an opinion without clearly labeling every single part of it as such. I cannot predict the future.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #282 on: November 28, 2023, 07:18:50 AM »
Metropolis Pt. 3 is the worst thing they could do. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #283 on: November 28, 2023, 08:18:04 AM »

You're right. Sequels are so outdated. Prequels are the in-thing now. Let's see Metropolis Part 0, or METR0POLIS.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #284 on: November 28, 2023, 08:34:34 AM »

You're right. Sequels are so outdated. Prequels are the in-thing now. Let's see Metropolis Part 0, or METR0POLIS.

-Marc.
GET OUT
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #285 on: November 28, 2023, 08:38:32 AM »

-Marc.
GET OUT

I can see the promotional taglines now...

Mike Portnoy is back! Dream Theater are back! And this time, they're going back...WAY back...
Before Metropolis Part 2: Scenes From A Memory...
Before Metropolis Part 1: The Miracle & The Sleeper...
They're going back to...

METROPOLIS PART 0

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #286 on: November 28, 2023, 08:44:22 AM »
Of course we're skeptical of a Metropolis sequel at the moment, but if the guys come out a year from now with the Metropolis 3 announcement and talk about how the idea came organically, we will all be put in our place and will have to give it a chance.  ;D

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #287 on: November 28, 2023, 08:47:58 AM »
Of course we're skeptical of a Metropolis sequel at the moment, but if the guys come out a year from now with the Metropolis 3 announcement and talk about how the idea came organically, we will all be put in our place and will have to give it a chance.  ;D
I will give ANYTHING they put out a chance.

But any hypothetical Metropolis Pt. 3 would basically have to be the consensus greatest thing they've ever done.  And the likelihood of that happening is near zero.  I see no upside to such a strategy.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #288 on: November 28, 2023, 08:54:24 AM »

-Marc.
GET OUT

Mike Portnoy is back! Dream Theater are back! And this time, they're going back...WAY back...
They're going back to...

METROPOLIS PART 0

-Marc.

METRØPOLIS

Offline Mladen

« Reply #289 on: November 28, 2023, 09:24:21 AM »
I will give ANYTHING they put out a chance.

But any hypothetical Metropolis Pt. 3 would basically have to be the consensus greatest thing they've ever done.  And the likelihood of that happening is near zero.  I see no upside to such a strategy.
I agree. Albums like Scenes from a memory are sort of sacred and shouldn't be touched in such a way. You can neither top them nor be even remotely equal in impact. However, Ian Anderson saw an upside to a strategy of doing Thick as a brick II, and so did Geoff Tate with Mindcrime 2. I don't know what the upside is either, but if John and Mike happen to figure it out and go that way, we will be in for an odd ride.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #290 on: November 28, 2023, 10:11:37 AM »

-Marc.
GET OUT

They're going back to...

METROPOLIS PART 0

-Marc.

METRØPOLIS

Missed opportunity to name it PREtropolis.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #291 on: November 28, 2023, 08:23:16 PM »
People who want a Metropolis Part 3 are the same type of people who were still begging for Peter Gabriel to return to Genesis 40 years after he left the band or are hoping for a Neal Morse return to Spock's Beard decades later.  Some people just can't get over it and move on.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #292 on: November 28, 2023, 08:25:35 PM »
.. are the same type of people who were still begging for Peter Gabriel to return to Genesis 40 years after he left the band

people want this??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #293 on: November 28, 2023, 08:29:45 PM »

-Marc.
GET OUT

They're going back to...

METROPOLIS PART 0

-Marc.

METRØPOLIS

This is getting schizo
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #294 on: November 28, 2023, 08:35:24 PM »

-Marc.
GET OUT

They're going back to...

METROPOLIS PART 0

-Marc.

METRØPOLIS

This is getting schizo
You mean schizø?  :lol
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #295 on: November 28, 2023, 08:36:19 PM »
I feel uncultured for not getting this reference
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #296 on: November 28, 2023, 08:39:52 PM »
People who want a Metropolis Part 3 are the same type of people who were still begging for Peter Gabriel to return to Genesis 40 years after he left the band or are hoping for a Neal Morse return to Spock's Beard decades later.  Some people just can't get over it and move on.

Well, DT fans aren't very good at letting go and moving on, as we've noticed in recent years.

But I also think an MP3 would be a bad idea (although the acronym is excellent  :biggrin:).

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #297 on: November 28, 2023, 09:29:22 PM »
But I also think an MP3 would be a bad idea (although the acronym is excellent  :biggrin:).

I hope they'll opt for løssless!

People who want a Metropolis Part 3 are the same type of people who were still begging for Peter Gabriel to return to Genesis 40 years after he left the band or are hoping for a Neal Morse return to Spock's Beard decades later. Some people just can't get over it and move on.

Yeah, it'd be like all those Portnoy fans who want to see him rejoin Dream The-...oh. ;)

-Marc.

Offline heirtoruin

• Drummer, Scientist, Teacher, Cook, Parent, Husband
« Reply #298 on: November 28, 2023, 09:51:09 PM »

Everyone could ask themselves how much they truly loved and still spin Operation Mindcrime 2 these days!!!!!
"Now we must focus on many things." ~Dr. Robert K. Yu (1938-2022)

https://silo1.bandcamp.com

Online HOF

« Reply #299 on: November 29, 2023, 08:23:02 AM »
Nicholas: A Metropolis Story.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #300 on: November 29, 2023, 09:57:40 AM »
.. are the same type of people who were still begging for Peter Gabriel to return to Genesis 40 years after he left the band

people want this??

Is there even a Genesis for him to return to?

Young Nicholas.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #301 on: November 29, 2023, 11:23:40 AM »
:lol
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #302 on: November 29, 2023, 11:27:31 AM »

St. Nicholas: A Christmas Story
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #303 on: November 29, 2023, 11:39:16 AM »
 :rollin :rollin :rollin
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #304 on: November 29, 2023, 12:42:42 PM »

St. Nicholas: A Christmas Story

This is where they insert "The Holiday Spirit Carries On" as the penultimate track. The album closer will be called "Buy One Get One Free" as it'll be a satire on Black Friday 'sales'. Also on the album will be "(I'll Be) Home (For The Holidays)", complete with moaning vocals in the instrumental break.

-Marc.

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #305 on: November 30, 2023, 12:01:52 AM »

I like the idea of expending previous thoughts like Metropolis pt. III, Octavarium pt. II or even Black Clouds & Freakin' Thunder for all I care, but I see that puts me in a corner to be judged...
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #306 on: November 30, 2023, 12:59:41 AM »
I think the bottom of this particular barrel was reached quite a number of posts ago :lol Come on DT, give us at least something :biggrin:
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #307 on: November 30, 2023, 02:11:28 AM »

I like the idea of expending previous train of thoughts like Metropolis pt. III, Octavarium pt. II or even Black Clouds & Freakin' Thunder for all I care, but I see that puts me in a corner to be judged...

Offline Pebsie

« Reply #308 on: November 30, 2023, 03:07:51 AM »
We've (and by we I mean not me but I've been reading it all so I'm part of this too!!!!) spent a good 30 pages worth of forum posts now speculating on what this means and where they'll go and we're now over a month past the announcement and... nothing! A small Q&A with MP where he didn't say much of anything. I know they're all busy but man... if it were me I'd want to make sure all my ducks were in a row before announcing something this huge. The phenomenal momentum they generated has been all but lost. It's still exciting and I know we'll all swoon at the slightest hint of news over the next few months but I really really want to know the behind the scenes situation that forced them to reveal this before they had much of anything to announce alongside it.

Offline the_silent_man

« Reply #309 on: November 30, 2023, 04:22:11 AM »
We've (and by we I mean not me but I've been reading it all so I'm part of this too!!!!) spent a good 30 pages worth of forum posts now speculating on what this means and where they'll go and we're now over a month past the announcement and... nothing! A small Q&A with MP where he didn't say much of anything. I know they're all busy but man... if it were me I'd want to make sure all my ducks were in a row before announcing something this huge. The phenomenal momentum they generated has been all but lost. It's still exciting and I know we'll all swoon at the slightest hint of news over the next few months but I really really want to know the behind the scenes situation that forced them to reveal this before they had much of anything to announce alongside it.

This. I posted a similar thing a week or so back and was effectively laughed at and that there was no more updates because Portnoy rejoining was not big news. Well, yes, not for music in general, but for the prog metal community I would say this is HUGE. DT are the biggest band in that community and MP is the most public figure.

Anyway, this thread has gone so far derailed now because of no updates. Is there anything on the new album at all? Is there even any timeline of when they're hitting the studio? Soon, or into next year?

Another thing I am really surprised at -  some of the big festivals have started announcing lineups for summer next year already and I would have thought DT would have jumped on that. Perhaps this will all come out soon. Appreciate they are all taking some well deserved time off, but I hope it's not radio silence until the new year. Feels like a wasted opportunity to capitalise on this news...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #310 on: November 30, 2023, 05:19:55 AM »

This. I posted a similar thing a week or so back and was effectively laughed at and that there was no more updates because Portnoy rejoining was not big news. Well, yes, not for music in general, but for the prog metal community I would say this is HUGE. DT are the biggest band in that community and MP is the most public figure.

Anyway, this thread has gone so far derailed now because of no updates. Is there anything on the new album at all? Is there even any timeline of when they're hitting the studio? Soon, or into next year?

Another thing I am really surprised at -  some of the big festivals have started announcing lineups for summer next year already and I would have thought DT would have jumped on that. Perhaps this will all come out soon. Appreciate they are all taking some well deserved time off, but I hope it's not radio silence until the new year. Feels like a wasted opportunity to capitalise on this news...

Yup.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #311 on: November 30, 2023, 08:16:10 AM »

I understand the interest in wanting to know more because I'm in that boat, too. But if we go back to when JR replaced DS, there really wasn't that much in terms of interviews with the band at that time. If anything, it was more interviews with DS in the first few months after the announcement because he was releasing his first solo album as well. I see a parallel here with MM. But later on there were interviews with the guys in the band even before SFaM, so I would imagine the same will be true in the coming year.

I would imagine that their book agent(s) are already fully involved with scheduling appearances at all those festivals, but for now are keeping a tight lid on it because the band is probably still working out a plan/schedule for album #16. But I have no doubt that later on it will be announced that they'll be hitting the summer festival in Europe - it would be the perfect opportunity for them to do a warm up leg and reinvigorate the fan base and others in the lead up to their next album.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #312 on: November 30, 2023, 08:31:41 AM »
Whatever they come up with on the new album, I hope the renewed energy leads them to push the envelope a bit. Not in an off-putting way, but maybe something a little jazzier, a little bluesier, acoustic/piano stuff. A more pimped-out variation of the Viper King style. Would love their take on a slow, doomy Sabbath-like track. Most of us agree they've played it safe on the last 2 albums, something bolder would be welcomed (but let James sing to his strengths).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #313 on: November 30, 2023, 09:54:37 AM »

people want this??

Are you kidding? 

When the first Archive sets came out, it was revealed that Gabriel re-recorded some of the vocals for the live stuff. Later when the box sets came out (and in advance of the 2007 tour) they did a bunch of mutual appearances together (Gabriel is still very much friends with all members of the band and is still involved in band decisions, at least as regards the years he was in the band).  I was posting at the Genesis forum at the time and when that all came down, the fanbase was in an uproar over the possibility of the five members of the band going on tour.

And it was fascinating listening to some of these people; Genesis tours stadiums with their standard latter day set (the hits), and some of these people thought that 60,000 people would pay to watch a band recreate a double album concept record from 1974, when most people at the current stadium shows don't even know Peter was ever a member of the band!!    Can you imagine the uproar when people go see "Peter Gabriel and Genesis" at a stadium and don't see "Misunderstanding" and "Sledgehammer"?!?

The point is that sometimes fans suck.  ;)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #314 on: November 30, 2023, 10:15:52 AM »
most people at the current stadium shows don't even know Peter was ever a member of the band!!

A work friend of mine is a member of the local Elks lodge, and he's brought me out to Wednesday night trivia a couple times, including last night.  One of the questions began, "Before Phil Collins," and I already knew that the answer was Peter Gabriel.  Unfortunately, it was not a buzz-in situation, so knowing the answer quickly didn't help.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung