Author Topic: DT16 Timeline Thread - MP finished recording drum parts, recording continues  (Read 98369 times)

Offline Trav86

Re: DT16 Timeline Thread - Studio time slated to begin late 2023/early 2024
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2023, 06:25:44 AM »
I would like DT to mix things up a little:

1. Work with an outside producer.
2. Work with anyone but Hugh Syme for the artwork.

Those would be great. Both unlikely though.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Kocak

« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2023, 06:46:05 AM »
I would like DT to mix things up a little:

1. Work with an outside producer.
2. Work with anyone but Hugh Syme for the artwork.

Those would be great. Both unlikely though.

A man can dream.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2023, 07:26:00 AM »
both very valid points.

if not with an outside producer, let them demo soms songs, and come back to them a month later or so to work on them again with fresh ears.

Offline Kocak

« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2023, 07:30:12 AM »
I'd also be okay with keeping the band members out of the mixing and mastering sessions.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2023, 11:31:00 AM »
Talking about wishes for the next album, really the only thing that comes to my mind is for them not to simply come up with 60-80 minutes of music and that's it. Given that they now have their own studio, time is not as big a factor as before, so I'd love to see them follow their muse and continue to come up with different songs until they really start to feel tapped out. Then select the best and/or most cohesive group of songs for the album and file away the others for bonus tracks, B-sides, compilations, mid-tour EP, etc.

The fact that they always end up with an over abundance of material from the writing/jamming sessions means that there are many great ideas that never get used. Had they *always* followed that mentality, in the past we wouldn't have gotten Peruvian Skies, Trial of Tears, Hollow Years, Cover My Eyes, New Millennium or Speak to Me. In fact, we wouldn't have even gotten Another Day, Surrounded, Wait for Sleep or especially Pull Me Under! So I don't think it's a bad idea for them to follow their muse and just let the music take them where it goes instead of confining themselves to a certain amount dictated by the limits of a CD.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2023, 04:33:01 PM »
I’m on board with Setlist Scotty. A would dig a double album that is t a bloated concept album. Just a bunch of great songs. With some more diversity too.
Can't we find the minds

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2023, 04:39:43 PM »
Well, count me as not wanting a double album. They've done two of them, and they've both been bloated.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2023, 04:56:14 PM »
Talking about wishes for the next album, really the only thing that comes to my mind is for them not to simply come up with 60-80 minutes of music and that's it. Given that they now have their own studio, time is not as big a factor as before, so I'd love to see them follow their muse and continue to come up with different songs until they really start to feel tapped out. Then select the best and/or most cohesive group of songs for the album and file away the others for bonus tracks, B-sides, compilations, mid-tour EP, etc.

The fact that they always end up with an over abundance of material from the writing/jamming sessions means that there are many great ideas that never get used.

I don't diagree with this philosophy at all, but how do we know that all those unrealized ideas are indeed great?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2023, 05:43:14 PM »
Well, count me as not wanting a double album. They've done two of them, and they've both been bloated.
Not talking about a bloated double album at all - just a single album, but have an excess of material for other things as I stated.

I don't diagree with this philosophy at all, but how do we know that all those unrealized ideas are indeed great?
Well the fact that they were ideas they kept and didn't discard as not worth considering would be reasons to think they are great. The biggest reason why a lot of stuff doesn't end up on an album isn't because the ideas/parts aren't great, but rather that they didn't find a "home" for them with the songs that they wrote.

Of course, whether a person thinks they're great or not is all up to the individual, but that's already *also* the case with the stuff that the band does release on an album.

And again, once they finally would get to the point where they were starting to actually feel tapped out, they could go back and review all the songs to figure out which ones they ultimately felt were best/most cohesive for releasing on the album. Some of those later ideas would probably be stronger than some of the earlier ideas, as was the case with stuff released on IaW and FII.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2023, 06:05:43 PM »
Not talking about a bloated double album at all - just a single album, but have an excess of material for other things as I stated.

I was responding to the post after yours. :)
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online NoFred

« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2023, 09:48:08 PM »

I would take a double album if it was in the vein of LTE3… an album proper plus some fantastic musicianship just for fun.

Pre-D/T I definitely wanted to hear them just get back to it, and pre-AVftTotW I definitely wanted a return to dense and complicated. Now I’m open to whatever, let’s go.

ETA: to clarify I find LTE3 “bonus’ disc a full set of tracks, just not what fit that main album. It’s not bonus fluff.

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2023, 04:13:21 AM »
Now I’m open to whatever, let’s go.

I'm on your train, whatever they bring out, surely it will be gorgious and I honestly can't wait to get my hands on that vinyl...

Gave The Astonishing a full spin last night, with a nice craftbeer in the hand and it blew me away, again. Not due to it's complexity or metal riffs, but because of the emotion which evolves after the album continues and it's beautiful themes...

So, whatever fits somewhere in between Train of Thought and The Astonishing, I'll love for sure.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2023, 05:48:38 AM »
I would only like for them to make it not interchangeable with View. I know they try never to repeat themselves but it's so tough to come up with fresh ideas time and time again.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2023, 06:41:43 AM »
pre-AVftTotW I definitely wanted a return to dense and complicated.

Yes, me as well, and they delivered!

I would only like for them to make it not interchangeable with View. I know they try never to repeat themselves but it's so tough to come up with fresh ideas time and time again.

Totally agree. As much as I think View is one of their best albums, I don't want View Pt.II.

Gave The Astonishing a full spin last night, with a nice craftbeer in the hand and it blew me away, again. Not due to it's complexity or metal riffs, but because of the emotion which evolves after the album continues and it's beautiful themes...

It's a remarkable album. I totally understand its criticisms, but I think they did a great job on it.

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2023, 07:53:43 AM »
Totally agree. As much as I think View is one of their best albums, I don't want View Pt.II.

Metropolis pt. III, Octavarium pt. II, a View pt. II... I would immediate vote for a follow-up. I really like stories, themes or motives being brought to another level.

It's a remarkable album. I totally understand its criticisms, but I think they did a great job on it.

I agree. It's extraordinary, so well build up but it takes a few listens to dig it. I red the book twice and even went through the whole walkthrough from Peter Orullian, which takes a few hours to get through. The more you're in, the more you'll appreciate the whole spectrum of The Astonishing.

But I do understand, many aren't able to do so or just want metal up theirs. And then, this novell itsn't gonna please you.

Online crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
Would also love for Jordan to take a crack at some lyrics, I feel like he would crush it.

Now THAT would be interesting indeed! ✨

I wouldn't mind more like View and Astonishing. Perhaps with references to Octavarium (yes, please).

Astonishing is actually perfect for James and shows what he can do best in the present day. Every voice teacher or guru I've ever met has repeated the mantra "Sing what you sing best". It's just obvious that the light lyric tenor singing he did through (most of) The Astonishing is his present day wheelhouse and where he really shines. More please! ✨

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2023, 09:03:14 PM »
Well the fact that they were ideas they kept and didn't discard as not worth considering would be reasons to think they are great. The biggest reason why a lot of stuff doesn't end up on an album isn't because the ideas/parts aren't great, but rather that they didn't find a "home" for them with the songs that they wrote.

Of course, whether a person thinks they're great or not is all up to the individual, but that's already *also* the case with the stuff that the band does release on an album.

And again, once they finally would get to the point where they were starting to actually feel tapped out, they could go back and review all the songs to figure out which ones they ultimately felt were best/most cohesive for releasing on the album. Some of those later ideas would probably be stronger than some of the earlier ideas, as was the case with stuff released on IaW and FII.

Appreciate the insight, I know you are dialed in to their creative process.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2023, 03:37:44 AM »
Yes, time for Metropolis pt3 : Shadow of the astonishing turbulences, where all concept characters are in fact linked and it was just nicolas in coma that wakes up !
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2023, 01:35:25 PM »
really glad people here are already speculating about this  :angel:

been thinking a lot about the upcoming dream theater album lately. first off, the title. they've always had these intriguing album titles that give a glimpse into what the music might be about. i'm thinking it could be something like "Eternal Horizons" or "Sonic Odyssey." those titles just have that dream theater vibe, you know? something epic and expansive.

the album artwork is gonna be another thing to look forward to. i hope they collaborate with hugh syme again. that guy's a legend and his artwork always adds another layer to the whole experience. maybe we'll get some kind of cosmic scene, like a futuristic cityscape on an alien planet or a mind-bending abstract piece that reflects the complexity of their music.

as far as the music itself. DT is known for their technical prowess and intricate compositions. i'm sure we'll get those signature long instrumental sections that take us on an adventure through different moods and themes. but i'm also hoping for some experimentation, maybe incorporating more electronic elements or even world music influences. remember how they added that middle eastern flavor in "in the presence of enemies"? something like that could be mind-blowing.

as for lyrical themes, i think they might explore the idea of human connection in a digital age. you know, how technology has changed the way we interact and relate to each other. maybe they'll touch on themes of isolation and longing, but also the potential for finding genuine connections in a virtual world. and of course, they'll probably tackle some philosophical topics as well. dream theater lyrics have always been thought-provoking, so maybe we'll get songs that delve into the nature of reality, consciousness, and the mysteries of the universe. i can already imagine james labrie's vocals delivering some profound lyrics that make us question our place in the cosmos. whether they stick to their signature sound or venture into new territories, i know it's gonna be great
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline PMSummer

« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2023, 02:15:18 PM »
the album artwork is gonna be another thing to look forward to. i hope they collaborate with hugh syme again. that guy's a legend and his artwork always adds another layer to the whole experience. maybe we'll get some kind of cosmic scene, like a futuristic cityscape on an alien planet or a mind-bending abstract piece that reflects the complexity of their music.
I have to respectfully disagree. Don't get me wrong, Syme has done some iconic work in the past, but it seems like he's been phoning it in lately. Oddly sized stock photos on a landscape background, I'm not sure but I feel robots can produce better looking art these days. I don't think it will happen but I'd love for DT to try working with someone different.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2023, 03:41:55 PM »
i hope they collaborate with hugh syme again.

You must've really liked Colorforms as a kid.

Offline ProgMasterMind92

• he/him/his
  • barn owl cometh
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2023, 06:05:05 PM »
i will pay johnathan petrucci $50,000 cash to never collaborate with hugh syme ever again forever
i need to live life like some people never will, so find me kindness find me beauty find me truth

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2023, 07:14:37 PM »
I would also like to see them do something different for the album cover. Unfortunately, Hyme is just part of the package now. He might as well be a band member at this point.

Offline Kocak

« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2023, 04:09:15 AM »
i will pay johnathan petrucci $50,000 cash to never collaborate with hugh syme ever again forever

I'll top that up with another 50K if he doesn't produce the album.

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2023, 06:00:04 AM »
Max Kuehnau really tried to keep this thread about facts and let us speculate in the other thread. But by now I think he's done monitoring and just allows this one to be all of that. Too hard not to do, as it seems...

I - as the minority here - really love the artwork on last albums. Heck, on all, except those horrible Falling Into Infinity and LIVEtime. It gives a wonderful dive into the lyrics theme of the album and they are a fine collection all together. At least, to me they are.

I do not hope they open another chapter of the sci fi-scene. With The Astonishing and Distance Over Time (and Distant Memories) they covered that pretty much.

« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2023, 07:14:57 AM »
i get that not everyone is on board with it, but honestly, that's what makes it so intriguing. these album covers, they're like a collage of thoughts, a mashup of ideas from all corners of existence. i get that people might say it's disconnected, like a jumble of unrelated stuff. but isn't that the point? life itself is this chaotic mishmash of moments and feelings, and hugh syme captures that essence perfectly. he throws in these seemingly unrelated images, and it makes you think. it makes you connect the dots, find the hidden meanings, and that's where the magic lies.

i'll admit, it's a bit frustrating when everyone around seems to dislike syme's work. it's like they're missing the whole point. they're so used to polished, cookie-cutter art that they can't appreciate the depth and complexity in his style. they want everything served on a platter, but syme's art challenges you. it pushes you to engage, to explore, to dive deep into the album's soul.

so, yeah, call me a fanboy, but i'm standing my ground on this. hugh syme's art style is a wild ride of imagination and introspection. it's a visual journey that might not be everyone's cup of tea, but for those of us who get it, who love deciphering the enigma, it's a treasure trove of wonder.
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2023, 08:13:46 AM »
Max Kuehnau really tried to keep this thread about facts and let us speculate in the other thread. But by now I think he's done monitoring and just allows this one to be all of that. Too hard not to do, as it seems...

I - as the minority here - really love the artwork on last albums. Heck, on all, except those horrible Falling Into Infinity and LIVEtime. It gives a wonderful dive into the lyrics theme of the album and they are a fine collection all together. At least, to me they are.

I do not hope they open another chapter of the sci fi-scene. With The Astonishing and Distance Over Time (and Distant Memories) they covered that pretty much.

I'm *not* done monitoring as you see. (I was just busy doing other things) What we know by now is that Jordan will focus on some solo work briefly. They haven't entered DTHQ yet to work on DT16. I updated the front page of the thread already. We'll see how it all will unfold.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 08:18:48 AM by Max Kuehnau »
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline efx

« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2023, 09:26:43 AM »
i get that not everyone is on board with it, but honestly, that's what makes it so intriguing. these album covers, they're like a collage of thoughts, a mashup of ideas from all corners of existence. i get that people might say it's disconnected, like a jumble of unrelated stuff. but isn't that the point? life itself is this chaotic mishmash of moments and feelings, and hugh syme captures that essence perfectly. he throws in these seemingly unrelated images, and it makes you think. it makes you connect the dots, find the hidden meanings, and that's where the magic lies.

i'll admit, it's a bit frustrating when everyone around seems to dislike syme's work. it's like they're missing the whole point. they're so used to polished, cookie-cutter art that they can't appreciate the depth and complexity in his style. they want everything served on a platter, but syme's art challenges you. it pushes you to engage, to explore, to dive deep into the album's soul.

so, yeah, call me a fanboy, but i'm standing my ground on this. hugh syme's art style is a wild ride of imagination and introspection. it's a visual journey that might not be everyone's cup of tea, but for those of us who get it, who love deciphering the enigma, it's a treasure trove of wonder.

I would guess that a lof of peoples issues with his work is not so much in the concept but the execution (copy paste stuff, shoddy technical stuff etc) which has been a point of contention going back to the octavarium days. I'm fine with his work, I don't think it's as deep in the end as some people make it out to be but it's servicable. I will say though that the FII cover is my favorite of theirs as I think it fits the music so well for some reason.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2023, 01:26:37 PM »
"View Pt. 2"  ::)  Except for the title track, View sounds like DOT Part 2 to me.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2023, 03:25:12 PM »

I would guess that a lof of peoples issues with his work is not so much in the concept but the execution (copy paste stuff, shoddy technical stuff etc) which has been a point of contention going back to the octavarium days. I'm fine with his work, I don't think it's as deep in the end as some people make it out to be but it's servicable. I will say though that the FII cover is my favorite of theirs as I think it fits the music so well for some reason.

There's been numerous technical issues with Syme's DT artwork for a long time now and those have been discussed many times throughout the years here. I'll just say I'd love to see them work with someone else, but at this point it seems highly unlikely. It seems JP is at "this formula works" when it comes to production and artwork directions, so he just goes with it. I think he doesn't see any need for experimentation anymore.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

« Reply #65 on: September 05, 2023, 07:36:54 AM »
I think he doesn't see any need for experimentation anymore.

every hugh syme artwork is an experiment!
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2023, 07:56:00 AM »

I agree with this (minus FII cover being my favorite  ;D). The artwork seems the results of a "mmmh, they asked me this, let me arrange stuff ignoring shades and sizes and copy and paste objects from the gallery, cash in the check and move on". 

The artworks are not bad, but they're just "good enough". They should have stuck with the Astonishing guy.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #67 on: September 15, 2023, 02:48:28 AM »
Stock pictures thrown on a cover are lame, I really wish DT covers were inspired like MPT2 or busy like SDOIT
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline Trav86

« Reply #68 on: September 15, 2023, 06:39:36 AM »
Stock pictures thrown on a cover are lame, I really wish DT covers were inspired like MPT2 or busy like SDOIT

This. Create something new. Every cover they’ve done with Syme just come across as lazy.
Can't we find the minds

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #69 on: September 15, 2023, 06:58:07 AM »

This. Create something new. Every cover they’ve done with Syme just come across as lazy.

I wouldn't say all of them, but most of them, specially the latest few.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."