Author Topic: DT16 Timeline Thread - MP finished recording drum parts, recording continues  (Read 98426 times)

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: DT16 Timeline Thread - Studio time slated to begin late 2023/early 2024
« Reply #105 on: October 25, 2023, 09:26:10 AM »
Had a feeling that was coming :lol
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline faizoff

« Reply #106 on: October 25, 2023, 09:39:48 AM »
My time with DT has been called (again.) Good night everyone. The thread will not be continued.

I don't get it, but why?
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #107 on: October 25, 2023, 10:03:13 AM »
My time with DT has been called (again.) Good night everyone. The thread will not be continued.
WTF
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: October 25, 2023, 10:08:14 AM »
The members of this forum announcing their departures over MP rejoining the band... :lol

I mean, wat?
Paul
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #109 on: October 25, 2023, 10:21:14 AM »
If you leave tomorrow (or today)
We'll be alright
Because we believe (know, actually)
That after you're gone
This thread will carry on
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #110 on: October 25, 2023, 10:34:32 AM »
how does MP coming back impact the thread talking about the studio time? if anything there'll be more buzz now, lol
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #111 on: October 25, 2023, 10:36:51 AM »
how does MP coming back impact the thread talking about the studio time? if anything there'll be more buzz now, lol

It sounds like it impacts the OP.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #112 on: October 25, 2023, 10:40:48 AM »
Hopefully, they make good use of the momentum they just generated and post as much behind the scenes stuff from the DT16 sessions as possible.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

« Reply #113 on: October 25, 2023, 10:42:45 AM »

oh, as in they're mad Mike Mango left? kinda weird to leave a forum over that but sure

imagine if everyone who likes MP quit DTF when MM joined?
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: October 25, 2023, 10:42:49 AM »

I wasn't going to post this here but Max really didn't make a secret of his dislike for MP.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #115 on: October 25, 2023, 10:43:50 AM »
With MP back, all hopes of them getting someone else to do the artwork are gone. Long live Syme, the 6th DT member :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #116 on: October 25, 2023, 10:44:59 AM »

oh, as in they're mad Mike Mango left? kinda weird to leave a forum over that but sure

Mike Mango didn't leave.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: October 25, 2023, 10:49:09 AM »
With MP back, all hopes of them getting someone else to do the artwork are gone. Long live Syme, the 6th DT member :lol

Well... I guess there's a chance they could go all CRAZY what with it being a new start and, uh, not have him do it? :biggrin:
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

« Reply #118 on: October 25, 2023, 10:54:35 AM »

Mike Mango didn't leave.

dang, fun killer :lol giving people fun nicknames is one of life's greatest pleasures
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #119 on: October 25, 2023, 11:13:23 AM »

Mike Mango didn't leave.

dang, fun killer :lol giving people fun nicknames is one of life's greatest pleasures

Orange you glad you posted?  :neverusethis:

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #120 on: October 25, 2023, 12:59:08 PM »
Are they hitting the studio right away, or waiting until after the new year?

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #121 on: October 25, 2023, 01:15:04 PM »
MP is playing with the winery dogs at this very moment on tour, so not immediately ;-)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #122 on: October 25, 2023, 01:23:16 PM »
I just have a gut feeling that the next album will be Metropolis Part 3. If it doesn't happen I don't mind getting it rubbed in my face but if it does happen it should count for something.  :biggrin:

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #123 on: October 25, 2023, 01:27:22 PM »
I just have a gut feeling that the next album will be Metropolis Part 3. If it doesn't happen I don't mind getting it rubbed in my face but if it does happen it should count for something.  :biggrin:

Why should it be even a thing?

The band freely admitted that they called the song off I&W "Part 1" just for the lulz, and then when the song became famous they realized they kinda "had" to write Part 2.

They decided to turn a 20 minutes demo into a full album, which has a storyline (kinda stolen from the Dead Again movie) where every character died except for the reincarnated villain.

What Metropolis part 3 would be even about?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline genome

« Reply #124 on: October 25, 2023, 01:38:04 PM »

I hope not. It feels a little on-the-nose.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #125 on: October 25, 2023, 01:39:12 PM »

Why should it be even a thing?

The band freely admitted that they called the song off I&W "Part 1" just for the lulz, and then when the song became famous they realized they kinda "had" to write Part 2.

They decided to turn a 20 minutes demo into a full album, which has a storyline (kinda stolen from the Dead Again movie) where every character died except for the reincarnated villain.

I don't know but it's one of those ideas that has floated around for years among fans and so on. The parallel comparison in my head would be Between the Buried and Me who had 3 albums in a row generally regarded by fans to be among their weaker ones, so they went and made a legacy sequel to their most classic album, hit it out of the park and it seemed to really bring back a new level of hype that was missing for a few years. It feels like DT are in a similar sort of place where it became a factory assembly line of just putting out albums.

Not saying Metropolis Part 3 would make sense but imagine the hype of "They brought MP back?! And they're making a sequel to SFAM?!". It's a risky move though, if they made a follow up to SFAM and hit it out of the park, they would probably be more popular than they have been for a long time. However if they did not deliver, it could also backfire in a bad way. :p

Offline pg1067

« Reply #126 on: October 25, 2023, 01:46:35 PM »

Mike Mango didn't leave.

What about John Papayatrucci?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #127 on: October 25, 2023, 01:59:19 PM »

Mike Mango didn't leave.

He's playing with Gourdan Rudess.

Offline deggs37

• Big Chungus
« Reply #128 on: October 25, 2023, 02:02:31 PM »

Mike Mango didn't leave.

He's playing with Gourdan Rudess.

The chef? I didn't know he played. Or maybe I'm thinking of Gjordan Rudamsy.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #129 on: October 25, 2023, 02:07:06 PM »

Well, it's about reincarnation, so characters dying is basically just hitting the "reset" button for the next round.  I'm sure we will find out that Nicholas was actually reincarnated as Faythe, and Victoria was reincarnated as Gabriel, and so on, and so The Astonishing actually was Metropolis pt. 3, and DT16 being Metropolis pt. 4, it takes place a hundred years after that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #130 on: October 25, 2023, 03:18:58 PM »

Well, it's about reincarnation, so characters dying is basically just hitting the "reset" button for the next round.  I'm sure we will find out that Nicholas was actually reincarnated as Faythe, and Victoria was reincarnated as Gabriel, and so on, and so The Astonishing actually was Metropolis pt. 3, and DT16 being Metropolis pt. 4, it takes place a hundred years after that.
Haha, I was about to say the next album will be The Astonishing Part 2, then I read your post and realized you basically said the same thing. :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #131 on: October 25, 2023, 03:30:02 PM »
Anyway, even though it will never happen, a tiny little part of me would like to hear a SONG called Metropolis part 3.

SFAM is the best thing after to mankind after the discovery of fire, but a full concept album "robbed" us of a song in the same vein and mood of Metropolis (The Miracle and the Sleeper). We got five songs for the AA saga, imagine if Metropolis had a "sister song" just like This Dying Soul is a natural continuation of The Glass Prison.

Sure, we heard the original demo and we got hints and bits and reprises here and there, but we don't have a proper "Metropolis pt 2" song and we never will. We have The Glass Prison 2 and 3 however, and basically 4 and 5. (I discard Repentance since it's so different from the rest)
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #132 on: October 25, 2023, 06:22:45 PM »

Hi, Max!

For what it's worth:

Back in 2010, when MP left, I also thought I was done with the band. I listened to ADToE only once, but didn't give the album any more attention. To me, DT without MP wasn't interesting.

Then, in 2013, I decided to give ADToE another go. And I loved it. Since then, I've bought all the new albums. I went to see them live with MM twice. I even played the Astonishing videogame! ;D And remember the ARG back in 2018? What a blast!

I ended up enjoying some of their latest music even more than the "classic era" stuff. Songs such as "Transcending Time", "Behind The Veil" and "Begin Again" are among my favourites now.

My point is: hopefully, you check out the band's next album or show! Who knows, maybe you'll find yourself changing your mind too. ;)

Offline Trav86

« Reply #133 on: October 25, 2023, 06:31:01 PM »
I left the MP forum almost immediately after Portnoy announced his departure from the band. That’s when I started lurking here.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #134 on: October 25, 2023, 07:23:37 PM »
ADTOE is still a top DT album for me. They had something to prove with the exit of MP and they nailed it.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #135 on: October 25, 2023, 08:36:34 PM »
I have to admit my enthusiasm for DT16 has significantly lower with the lineup change, but I am still optimistic it'll be a good album. The news will pull a lot of attention towards the release and you have to think there is going to be maximum effort to ensure this is not just an OK album.

I do not think it'll pick up where BCSL left off but we'll see.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #136 on: October 25, 2023, 09:39:18 PM »
I have to admit my enthusiasm for DT16 has significantly lower with the lineup change, but I am still optimistic it'll be a good album. The news will pull a lot of attention towards the release and you have to think there is going to be maximum effort to ensure this is not just an OK album.

I do not think it'll pick up where BCSL left off but we'll see.

My enthusiam has significantly lower too.

If it were another band, I would certainly end up not listening to the new album - until today I haven't heard the latest from Helloween or Haken  :lol - but since it's DT, I'm sure I'll be curious to listen to it at the first opportunity.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #137 on: October 25, 2023, 11:04:19 PM »
I’m always a bit surprised by the love for ADTOE. And maybe I should revisit it. But I do feel it was maybe just a bit soiled by trying so hard to be IAW pt 2. Don’t get me wrong, it’s different enough to be its own thing. But it felt maybe a bit too “on the nose”

I put View and the self titled as a neck and neck tie for my favorite MM album. I still spin those on the regular. The rest I don’t reach for very often. Although I would state emphatically that they were ALL better than the last two MP albums by quite a wide margin. So there is that.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #138 on: October 26, 2023, 01:47:32 AM »
I’m always a bit surprised by the love for ADTOE. And maybe I should revisit it. But I do feel it was maybe just a bit soiled by trying so hard to be IAW pt 2. Don’t get me wrong, it’s different enough to be its own thing. But it felt maybe a bit too “on the nose”

I put View and the self titled as a neck and neck tie for my favorite MM album. I still spin those on the regular. The rest I don’t reach for very often. Although I would state emphatically that they were ALL better than the last two MP albums by quite a wide margin. So there is that.

One of my favorites. For me a very important album. With the sequence ToT-8v-SC-BCSL I thought I was done with DT. ADTOE gave me back my joy of listening to the band.

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
« Reply #139 on: October 26, 2023, 04:55:23 AM »
I'm curious... those of you who have said your excitement for a new DT album has diminished now MP is back in the fold... why? Any personal issues one may have with Mike, fine. But his drumming ability is fantastic (stylistically different to MM, admittedly) and the only gripes I ever recall seeing regularly here are with his vocals, which noone rightly knows will make an appearance on the new album. What is it about the announcement of his return that puts you off?