Author Topic: 2023 NCAA College Football-Hail to the Victors!!!  (Read 8334 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2023 NCAA College Football
« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2023, 09:06:58 AM »
Just now hearing about Duke taking Clemson to the woodshed.. What the actual fuck?

Was just reading about this, apparently Dabo Sweeney is against using the portal transfer system?  I know it's a huge change to the game, but if he's not going to use it, Clemson is going to have issues and that may be starting to show right now.  All these teams are plugging holes with transfers, (PSU did this specifically with WR and those two transfers made big plays last weekend).  It's part of the game and you got to embrace it or be left behind. 

Also, Clemson didn't look great last year even though their record was solid.  It's only one game, maybe not a reason to put too much into it, but it's very possible Clemson is not going to be the powerhouse they've been recently.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #71 on: September 05, 2023, 09:16:55 AM »
It was a combo of Duke being better than many people nationwide think they are, and Clemson making too many mistakes, mostly in the red zone.

I don't think Clemson is quite as bad as they looked last night.  But they need to cut out the errors in a hurry, and probably beat Florida State at the end of the month, or it's going to be a long season.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #72 on: September 09, 2023, 08:49:44 AM »
Loaded day of football finishing up with Auburn at Cal... Go Bears!!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: September 09, 2023, 08:53:44 AM »
Go Bears!

Uh, but not the Baylor Bears...

[edit] Damn, 8:30 pm kick off and it's not televised in my region.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2023, 09:00:11 AM by Podaar »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: September 09, 2023, 09:41:10 AM »
Did I read Clemson turned the ball over at the opponent's 1 yard line?

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: September 09, 2023, 08:59:07 PM »
Great sack by Cal. Sure looked like a safety to me!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: September 09, 2023, 09:24:16 PM »
God, RJ, Cal’s secondary corp is great. Wish the OC would run Ott outside the tackles a bit.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: September 09, 2023, 09:41:08 PM »
Go Bears!

Uh, but not the Baylor Bears...

[edit] Damn, 8:30 pm kick off and it's not televised in my region.

It’s on ESPN on the East Coast
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #78 on: September 09, 2023, 10:06:34 PM »
God, RJ, Cal’s secondary corp is great. Wish the OC would run Ott outside the tackles a bit.

Agreed, he's such an explosive runner, and the holes would be much more aplenty on the ends.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #79 on: September 10, 2023, 12:01:20 AM »
Well fuck. Hard to win when you leave 16 points on the field. D looked great, O needs some stability and consistency, and holy fuck that kicker needs some work.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #80 on: September 10, 2023, 07:18:34 AM »
Badgers not very impressive so far in the new Luke Fickell era.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #81 on: September 11, 2023, 08:41:36 AM »
App State gave a valiant effort, but UNC escaped in 2 OT.

I was glad to see Texas beat Alabama (well, I have no love for Texas either, but I was definitely glad to see Bama lose).

Coach Prime is doing impressive work at Colorado.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: September 11, 2023, 11:16:13 AM »
The SEC losing almost all their P5 OOC games is fantastic.  Granted, they mostly played solid teams so at least they played good competition.  PAC12 still looking good. 

PSU handled business, I didn't even watch. Of course my 3rd and last sibling to get married is ALSO getting married during a PSU game  :lol they are 1-1 at those, but they should definitely be able to beat Illinois on the road next week in their first Big 10 game.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: September 13, 2023, 07:42:52 AM »
Thought this would be a good place to mention a well done HBO documentary called 'BS High', about Bishop Sycamore and its narcissistic charlatan 'coach' Roy Johnson and his 'criminal' actions.  Truly appalling. 

https://time.com/6307570/bs-high-hbo-true-story/

And then, we have Mel Tucker of Michigan State: 
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/investigations/2023/09/10/michigan-state-football-coach-sexual-harassment-claim/70679703007/

Yet another black eye on an institution and program less than 30 miles from where I grew up (I'm old enough to remember Duffy Daugherty and his National Championship team, the Rose Bowl loss to UCLA, and the infamous 10-10 tie against Notre Dame)

Went to many games last century at Spartan Stadium, including Kirk Gibson catching TD passes from Eddie Smith in '78, and their Rose Bowl clinching win over Indiana in '87.  My most cherished were the first three times my alma mater Central Michigan played them in the 90s (and won the first two matchups :tup :tup :tup).  With a young and inexperienced backfield, the Chippewas put up a decent effort in the opener against MSU.  Goodness knows how bad of a whoopin' Notre Dame will inflict on them this weekend.  Hopefully not as bad as my stepdaughter's alma mater's showing against Penn State last weekend in a game that never should have been scheduled.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: September 20, 2023, 09:27:16 AM »
Last week's slate of games were pretty uninteresting.  That changes this weekend.  Bunch of 3-0 teams face off against each other including a handful of ranked games.  Also includes PSU vs Iowa in the white out night game. 

PSU struggled quite a bit with Illinois last week on the road.  FIrst road game of the season, first big 10 game of the season, and the young QB showed his struggles.  Illinois stacked the box and made things difficult.  But the PSU defense is really good allowing PSU to comfortably win in the end.  I kind of expect a similar type of game on Saturday.  Iowa is better than Illinois and has a really tough defense.  PSU is one of only 2 teams to not have a turn over this season so far and I find it hard to go against Iowa and not turn it over.  My guess is PSU takes over in the 2nd half and wins by 2 scores (which is the current spread, 14) but I would not be surprised if this is a tough defensive battle where PSU loses their nation leading streak of scoring 30 points or more a game.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #85 on: September 20, 2023, 02:48:59 PM »
I think PSU will be fine.

Definitely looking forward to this week's slate of games.  Colorado vs. Oregon will be interesting.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: September 20, 2023, 02:59:36 PM »
Colorado vs. Oregon will be interesting.

Indeed it will.

I'm looking forward to UCLA vs. Utah, obviously. Hoping *fingers crossed* that Utah get's some starters back on the defensive front...also, Rising. I have a feeling that both UCLA and Utah's vulnerabilities will get exposed and we'll find out that neither team is quite deserving of their ranks. Washington, Oregon, and *gag* USC will probably rise to the top of PAC12 once the annual conference cannibalism is over.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: September 20, 2023, 03:41:05 PM »
I thought Coach Sanders condemnation of the death threats to Colorado State safety Blackburn to be perfect. He continues to surprise me, in a good way.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #88 on: September 20, 2023, 04:17:40 PM »
I thought Coach Sanders condemnation of the death threats to Colorado State safety Blackburn to be perfect. He continues to surprise me, in a good way.

Same man...he's such a solid and upfront dude.

If they manage to get through Oregon this week and USC next, they easily should be top 5.

Golden Bears head up to #8 Washington...not feeling uber secure about chances there..but we'll see, that's why we play the games, right?

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: September 20, 2023, 04:33:59 PM »
Golden Bears head up to #8 Washington...not feeling uber secure about chances there..but we'll see, that's why we play the games, right?

Gotta get that Cal running game going full tilt, brother. It's gonna be a tough ask against Washington's front seven though. I'll be pulling for you. Go Bears!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #90 on: September 20, 2023, 04:36:58 PM »

Gotta get that Cal running game going full tilt, brother. It's gonna be a tough ask against Washington's front seven though. I'll be pulling for you. Go Bears!

Our QB is just inconsistent as fuck too...shame cause our D is pretty damn solid, I think any big victories we get this year will be of the attrition variety, no fucking way we're outscoring anyone worth a shit.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: September 20, 2023, 05:59:32 PM »
Exactly, that’s why I mentioned the running game. In games of attrition, time of possession rules. I think Cal’s defense can hold their own, but the offense needs to control the clock and still score.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: September 21, 2023, 08:22:30 AM »
It is interesting to see the PAC12 looking so strong in the final season of the conference (I guess it may still exist? certainly not the way it currently is though).

If this were next season, the Big 10 would have 6 of the top 10 teams.  Crazy.  Definitely not a fan of the changes coming, but certainly interesting to see how this is playing out this season so far. Makes me wonder if historians will look back at this season and say "why did you ruin this???"  :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #93 on: September 21, 2023, 08:32:03 AM »
It is interesting to see the PAC12 looking so strong in the final season of the conference (I guess it may still exist? certainly not the way it currently is though).

If this were next season, the Big 10 would have 6 of the top 10 teams.  Crazy.  Definitely not a fan of the changes coming, but certainly interesting to see how this is playing out this season so far. Makes me wonder if historians will look back at this season and say "why did you ruin this???"  :lol
If Deion Sanders had started at Colorado last year or the year before, the PAC-12 would not be headed for dissolution.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #94 on: September 23, 2023, 04:13:31 PM »
And Oregon showing coach Prime and company that they still got a lot of work to do. Talk about sheer domination.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #95 on: September 23, 2023, 04:50:42 PM »
What a game for the Utah punter and the Utah defense.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #96 on: September 23, 2023, 05:09:56 PM »
And Oregon showing coach Prime and company that they still got a lot of work to do. Talk about sheer domination.
Yep. I expected an Oregon win, but holy crap.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: September 23, 2023, 06:32:04 PM »
What a game for the Utah punter and the Utah defense.

Ha! I can’t believe that I left the stadium with Utah 4-0 and I was pissed.  :lol

Our offense needs to do some work. Thank Thor for our defense!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #98 on: September 23, 2023, 07:32:47 PM »
My cousin, a WSU grad, says someone snuck into the stadium in Spokane and painted over the '1'in Pac 12 so it just said Pac 2  :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: September 23, 2023, 08:06:42 PM »
 :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: September 23, 2023, 08:50:52 PM »
Effen Huskies… :censored

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #101 on: September 23, 2023, 09:03:43 PM »

I'm not even watching..I just know we're gonna get fucking schooled.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #102 on: September 23, 2023, 09:34:39 PM »
I blinked  and they put up 17 points  :lol

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: September 23, 2023, 10:17:53 PM »
And then another 28 by halftime. The INTs hurt, but Penix threw some absolutely perfect passes against some pretty good coverage. I feel for you

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #104 on: September 23, 2023, 11:15:11 PM »

Bow Down To Washington.   :biggrin:
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."