Author Topic: 2023 NCAA College Football-Hail to the Victors!!!  (Read 8332 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: 2023 NCAA College Football
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2023, 12:25:09 PM »
I think the Mountain West would love to add all four PAC-4 schools, but I can't imagine Stanford or Cal agreeing to that.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2023, 01:07:33 PM »
It'd be a great fit for both schools, but they won't want the paycut. As I said before, Cal needs to come to terms with the fact that they'll always be bottom feeders in any major conference

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2023, 01:13:25 PM »
It'd be a great fit for both schools, but they won't want the paycut. As I said before, Cal needs to come to terms with the fact that they'll always be bottom feeders in any major conference
It's REALLY a shame for Stanford, who has the best top-to-bottom athletic department in the country. 

What a crazy turn of events.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2023, 01:15:40 PM »
I've read some rumors about USC being pissed that the Big 10 is taking in Oregon.  The rumor is that's because USC wanted to get away from Oregon so they wouldn't compete for recruits.  Since USC isn't actually a Big 10 member yet, they didn't get to vote on Oregon joining and the Big 10's previous commissioner had a gentlemans agreement not to add Oregon.  No idea if any of that is true, but it's certainly a funny thought to think about.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2023, 01:20:03 PM »
I've read some rumors about USC being pissed that the Big 10 is taking in Oregon.  The rumor is that's because USC wanted to get away from Oregon so they wouldn't compete for recruits.  Since USC isn't actually a Big 10 member yet, they didn't get to vote on Oregon joining and the Big 10's previous commissioner had a gentlemans agreement not to add Oregon.  No idea if any of that is true, but it's certainly a funny thought to think about.
I saw that rumor also.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2023, 01:14:25 PM »
So my alma mater, Appalachian State, will retire the jersey of former QB Armanti Edwards this season.  He is probably best known nationally as the QB and driving force of the team that beat Michigan in what was at the time considered the greatest upset in NCAA football history.

Of course, he was also a four-time All-American (ASU was at the time in the FCS subdivision) and a two-time national champion, and was the first QB in Division 1 history to accumulate 10,000 passing yards and 4,000 rushing yards.

Cool, cool stuff.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2023, 01:32:06 PM »
That's great, and that game was epic so well deserved.

So excited for the season to begin!  PSU opens with a night game against West Virginia (who is an old school rival that we haven't played in a long time).  They are basically doing a white out but with a blue stripe down the middle of the stadium.  Should be a great atmosphere for prime time and WV wasn't too good last year, so I kind of expect a beat down, but maybe not since PSU is breaking in a new QB.  I just can't imagine WV scoring more than 10 points against this PSU defense that could top the nation this year. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2023, 01:59:14 PM »
Dude, I think Penn State is going to be very, very good this season.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2023, 04:07:10 PM »

So will Ohio State and Michigan.  The problem is, PSU hasn't shown they can beat either of them. While a 10-2 season with loses to those two would be considered a success like last year, it's going to leave a very sour taste in the mouth of PSU fans feeling we can't get over the hump. We will see, should be a fun season.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2023, 04:50:43 PM »

So will Ohio State and Michigan.  The problem is, PSU hasn't shown they can beat either of them. While a 10-2 season with loses to those two would be considered a success like last year, it's going to leave a very sour taste in the mouth of PSU fans feeling we can't get over the hump. We will see, should be a fun season.

Bet you can't wait to add USC to your annual to-do list.

So my alma mater, Appalachian State, will retire the jersey of former QB Armanti Edwards this season.  He is probably best known nationally as the QB and driving force of the team that beat Michigan in what was at the time considered the greatest upset in NCAA football history.

Of course, he was also a four-time All-American (ASU was at the time in the FCS subdivision) and a two-time national champion, and was the first QB in Division 1 history to accumulate 10,000 passing yards and 4,000 rushing yards.

Cool, cool stuff.

That day was amazing....I was attending the Cal vs Tennessee game, both teams I do believe were ranked at the time and it was a sellout with at least 15-20k Tennessee fans in attendance. The ASU game was before, and I was in a bar with a pretty evenly spit crowd watching the last minutes of it. While we knew we had a big game ahead of us and we'd definitely be on opposite sides, all football fans in that bar were 100% team Fuck Michigan, and we celebrated that win like it was the national championship.

Then Cal proceeded to fucking smoke Tennessee.... like I said, it was an amazing dayl. :gobears:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2023, 04:02:08 AM »

Bet you can't wait to add USC to your annual to-do list.

It's kind of a wash.  I don't think PSU will play all three in a single year.  Next year I think they are going to drop these terribly uneven divisions.  So PSU will no longer play Michigan and Ohio State every year.  It kind of sucks in some ways.  I do like having them on the schedule.  Those are big games EVERY year and in my mind, to be the best, you got to beat the best.  So you need the opportunity to play the best.  PSU will still have that, but there goes a lot of the tradition of the last 30 years.

I also remember watching the ASU UM game live and the excitement of seeing UM losing.  SO good.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2023, 05:12:04 AM »
I would speculate that rooting for ASU during that game is probably the most united our nation has been in recent memory.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2023, 07:04:38 AM »
I would speculate that rooting for ASU during that game is probably the most united our nation has been in recent memory.
:lol

It was so good.  Easily the biggest athletic event for me personally ever.  I mean, that was MY SCHOOL doing the impossible.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2023, 05:41:48 PM »
Opening night…the Gators in town.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2023, 06:34:14 PM »
Opening night…the Gators in town.

Nice first play from scrimmage

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2023, 10:21:48 PM »
Yeah, that was fun. My ears are still ringing.

Nice to see our defense is as hard hitting as usual, but our corners are still under sized. The Utes offense was really exposed in the second half. Without Rising and Kuithe the youth is struggling to consistently show gains. I hope the staff figures out something before we play Baylor next Saturday!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2023, 07:00:10 AM »
ACC votes to expand, inviting Stanford, Cal, and SMU.

They really did it.

On the one hand, I'm happy for Stanford and Cal that they found a Power 5 conference home.  On the other hand, this is all just getting a bit silly, especially in pretending that SMU belongs in a Power 5 league.

In other news, due to Disney's dust-up with Spectrum, I am currently unable to view any college football on ESPN channels or ABC.  There goes my weekend.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2023, 07:10:34 AM »

They really did it.

On the one hand, I'm happy for Stanford and Cal that they found a Power 5 conference home.  On the other hand, this is all just getting a bit silly, especially in pretending that SMU belongs in a Power 5 league.

Not sure how happy I am about it. While it's ok for our major sports, it's going to be a complete clusterfuck for the minor sports, and will probably devastate recruiting for them, but we'll see. It's going to be interesting to see our '24 schedule, especially since we're already committed to a road trip to Auburn.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2023, 11:08:34 AM »

They really did it.

Not sure how happy I am about it. While it's ok for our major sports, it's going to be a complete clusterfuck for the minor sports, and will probably devastate recruiting for them, but we'll see. It's going to be interesting to see our '24 schedule, especially since we're already committed to a road trip to Auburn.
Contracts like that get cancelled all the time.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2023, 11:48:29 AM »

They really did it.

Contracts like that get cancelled all the time.

True, but I don't think this one will, it's a good game for Auburn, and the game in CA is next week.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2023, 05:35:14 AM »
Those schools are coming at a discount too. SMU not getting any media money for 9 years. Cal and Standford only 30% for 7 years. Damn, I mean, they needed a home so I guess you got to take what you can, but I do agree with Hef that it's a bit outrageous.

Well, glad that the college football season is here.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2023, 07:57:01 AM »
Still more money than they would've gotten joining the MWC. I'd say it's probably the cream of whashit options they had. Stanfurd will be fine, they fucking bleed money, but I can see Cal struggling, especially to support smaller sports. It wouldn't surprise me to see them lose some programs in a few years, I know some were in the edge recently.

Very informative piece on it, might have a pay wall...

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/college/article/stanford-cal-sports-acc-18343327.php

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2023, 08:05:38 AM »
Yeah the article I read stated Cal was already in a huge athletic department deficit, so that wouldn't surprise me.  Stanford should be in better position.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2023, 11:33:56 AM »
Yeah the article I read stated Cal was already in a huge athletic department deficit, so that wouldn't surprise me.  Stanford should be in better position.

Yeah, Stanfurd is sitting on a 30+ billion dollar endowment they can tap into, plus they have more billionaire alums than any other college except Harvard....they'll be ok. Cal is 100 million in the hole because of the financial mismanagement of their stadium renovation, it's really hard to imagine them not cutting programs at this point. It's not good from any standpoint for the Golden Bears.

Just hoping the team takes out their frustrations on Auburn next Saturday. :gobears:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2023, 12:54:45 PM »
Just hoping the team takes out their frustrations on Auburn next Saturday. :gobears:

I'd like this.

Nice to also see Podaar's team beat an SEC team. I'm all for that.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2023, 01:12:55 PM »

I'd like this.

Nice to also see Podaar's team beat an SEC team. I'm all for that.

We'll see how they handle North Texas first today lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2023, 01:16:12 PM »
This Colorado TCU game is a good one. The Deon experiment is looking good at this moment.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2023, 05:36:21 PM »
I know it's just North Texas, but Cal's up 58-21 in the final minutes. Hopefully this is a sign of a slightly better season than last year. We'll surely find out where we stand next week.

Also...holy fuck at Oregon :o

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2023, 07:09:36 PM »
This Colorado TCU game is a good one. The Deon experiment is looking good at this moment.

My issue with that game was that I couldn't understand the announcers because they were too busy sucking Deion's dick.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline crazy climber dude

« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2023, 07:16:15 AM »

My issue with that game was that I couldn't understand the announcers because they were too busy sucking Deion's dick.

Yes, a bit too much....though high praise is definitely warranted. Colorado was once a power in college football, but fell on some VERY lean times for many years....culminating in a 1-11 season last year. Their opponent's average margin of victory was 29 points! Laughing stocks!

So Sanders comes in to this train wreck that NOBODY wanted to clean up, albeit with a lot of HYPE, and begins the resurrection. Reminiscent of what Bill McCartney did for them in the 90's (if not familiar, Google that name). They were 21 point dogs to a team that played in the National Championship about 8 months ago. Yes, they lost some players too....but Colorado had 51 transfers. Sander's kid is the QB....only played in Division 1A before taking on a Power 5 team like TCU. He goes 37-48 and a school record 510 yards. Both receivers go for over a hundred yards....one of them, Hunter, also plays corner and had two HUGE interceptions. Was on the field for over 100 plays.

Yes, defense was shaky....they were manhandled in the trenches (as was expected). Making big plays compensated in this game....but not the best formula to rely on every week. But that offense....for a first game....whoa.

So yeah, say what you want about Deion. He's connected with the community, and has these players believing in a new program after game ONE. Almost every pundit out there said Colorado had no chance to beat TCU in Fort Worth.

Keep in mind too....the color announcer, Joel Klatt, played quarterback for Colorado....so he's going to gush at any opportunity. One thing I do like about him though....he was never an apologist for the team's woes over the years. He will eviscerate any team (or the NCAA) if he sees something he doesn't like.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2023, 10:33:59 AM »

My gf who was watching with me also made a comment about how bad the commentators were. I then checked my friend group chat and they were all saying the same thing  :lol it didn't bother me too much to take away from the great game, but I didn't care for them.

PSUs new QB, Allar, looked incredible for a first start. Also that atmosphere st PSU looked beautiful and very fun. Great start to the season.

I do see some people shitting on PSU for scoring with seconds left instead of taking a knee. I dont like that myself. But sadly, it's become part of the game to make the playoffs.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2023, 04:03:30 PM »
The soon to be defunct Pac 12 goes 12-0 in week 1. I'd laugh my ass off if they just crushed the non-conference competition throughout the year.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2023, 07:24:23 AM »
The soon to be defunct Pac 12 goes 12-0 in week 1. I'd laugh my ass off if they just crushed the non-conference competition throughout the year.
I fully expect that to happen.  They look the best to me top to bottom this year than any recent season I remember.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: September 05, 2023, 08:31:41 AM »
LSU, South Carolina, and Florida losing is all lovely.  Makes the ACC and PAC12 look a bit better coming out of week 1, but it's still way too early to make and predictations about how these conferences will fare out, but it is nice to see the SEC lose some of the bigger P5 conference games.  Would be awesome to see Texas take down Alabama this weekend to continue that trend. 

PSU has a cupcake this week (Delaware) and with Progpower this weekend, my attention to college ball will probably dwindle a bit.  I do hope my fellow big 10 schools can do the conference well (Wisconsin & Iowa, talking to you).  I kind of doubt Nebraska will beat Colorado, but that would be nice too.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #69 on: September 05, 2023, 08:45:36 AM »
Just now hearing about Duke taking Clemson to the woodshed.. What the actual fuck?