Author Topic: 2023 NCAA College Football-Hail to the Victors!!!  (Read 8366 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Well that was one hell of a game.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
This Rose bowl game is building that vibe to be one for the ages... I just can feel it. Unfortunately I couldn't give two shits for either team.

I have it on, so I'm watching, but I'm listening to music. Are all of the important players playing? I think I saw a couple of games in the last few days where large swaths of kids were sitting out.

Oh yeah, this one's and tonight's are for the title, they're putting it all on the line here.

The Fla St team had like 20 players sitting out, they were the team that got left out of the playoffs even though they went undefeated in a major conference.

Oh, were they the #4 team? I saw the seeds of today's games and saw that it was 1 vs 5 and 2 vs 3. I was like...where's #4? :lol

Yup... Fla St went undefeated and ended up #4 in the AP Poll, but the Bowl Committee uses the bullshit excuse of trying to make the best matchups/pick the best teams to ensure the SEC has a team in the mix and decided since Fla didn't have their starting QB they wouldn't be a good matchup and that Bama would be the better team. Granted earlier in the season Bama already got beat soundly by #3 Texas. Fla ran the table and won their division, they overcame all tasks in their way.

When it came time for their game against a very, very strong GA team, Fla players decided to boycott the game, hence the huge blowout.

yeah, that's the game I had on the other night.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
I just realized it's after midnight at the Sugar Bowl with half of the 4th quarter left to go. Who is watching this on the East Coast?

And where you at TempusVox? Let's go Huskies!!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jammindude

That game was WAAAAAAAAAAYYY closer than it needed to be.

Doing the handoff thing in an attempt to run more clock ended up almost costing them the game…and since it cost us our starting running back, it probably cost us the national championship.

What a bone headed move.  :facepalm:
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, stubborn conservatism in football is one of the dumbest of coaching diseases. It afflicts them all. You would think that either the head coach or the OC realizes what kind of football got them there. Sure, keep it on the ground, but do a jet sweep to Odunze or Polk... a play action keeper by Penix to test the edge of the line...anything but straight between the tackles.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
For the first time in recorded history, I was rooting for Alabama, and then THAT was the last play they ran.  Holy crap.

Both games were fantastic.  Michigan vs. Washington for the title should be a great matchup.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
I went to bed after the UW field goal.... wtf happened  :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Who is watching this on the East Coast?

I fell asleep shortly after the 3rd started. Honestly, what a moronic thing to have that game start so late.  I kind of get it because the Rose Bowl has a 5pm start time east coast, but man, that just sucked that I couldn't stay up for it. The Michigan/Bama game was a good one.

I guess if Michigan wins the whole thing, I should be happy for the Big 10 (who basically choked this bowl season, but also, mostly choked all year) and I can personally say I got to see the National Champions play in person this year... but I'm finding it really hard to root for them. 

Washington seems so much more likeable

Offline emtee

Very entertaining Rose Bowl! Michigan is my team so I'm ecstatic but they were making too many uncharacteristic mistakes. I think the nerves, the spotlight and those weeks in between games all had impacts.

Agree with the BS start time of the 2nd game. I can't stay up until after midnight. I have to get up at 3:30 am.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Who is watching this on the East Coast?

I fell asleep shortly after the 3rd started. Honestly, what a moronic thing to have that game start so late.  I kind of get it because the Rose Bowl has a 5pm start time east coast, but man, that just sucked that I couldn't stay up for it. The Michigan/Bama game was a good one.

I guess if Michigan wins the whole thing, I should be happy for the Big 10 (who basically choked this bowl season, but also, mostly choked all year) and I can personally say I got to see the National Champions play in person this year... but I'm finding it really hard to root for them. 

Washington seems so much more likeable

UW is almost a big 10 team anyways....

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2023 NCAA College Football-and then there were two: Mich-Wash
« Reply #290 on: January 07, 2024, 06:40:07 PM »
The buzz here in western WA is off the charts! I graduated from there, but have no allegiance to the school. I generally don't care what their sports teams do. But I recognize how huge this win would be.

The local analysis is that after years of being good but unable to beat OSU, UM rebuilt their team to beat the OSU teams of 2020-2022, which shares similarities to this UW team. But they haven't faced an offense anywhere near the caliber of this year's Huskies, and if Penix gets them out big early, there's no way UM is going to be able to score enough to keep up. If their O-line keeps UM away from Penix, the Wolverines could be in for a long night. If they keep him off the field and limit them to <10 drives, it will be a close game. And as much as I ever hate to say this, special teams could play an important factor. Either UW wins 31-13, or UM wins 20-17.

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #291 on: January 07, 2024, 09:27:44 PM »
I'd imagine the whole of the Pac 12 is team UW tomorrow, can't think of a better swan song for the conference than a national title.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #292 on: January 07, 2024, 10:27:23 PM »
I can't imagine a scenario where Oregon and WSU fans root for UW. They may be rooting against UM, but not for UW.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #293 on: January 08, 2024, 05:31:02 AM »
I'm team Dawg for sure...today!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #294 on: January 08, 2024, 08:20:09 AM »
These games are always so hard to predict.  I think Michigan might be better on paper and have the stronger defense.  But Penix brings something you can't account for easily.   Fun fact, a Penix lead Indiana team beat Michigan in 2020.  And these two teams play again next year, albeit in the Big 10.  You just don't really see that often, although next year both teams are going to be very different.

I'm going to pick Michigan here, something like 28 to 24. I'm not going to be upset if Washington wins though. Not sure if I will be actively rooting for anyone, just hopefully a good game as these are so hit or miss.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #295 on: January 08, 2024, 10:28:55 AM »
My pick is Washington, 27-20.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #296 on: January 08, 2024, 11:15:28 AM »
Even though I grew up in Michigan and watched those epic Bo-Woody games and all that followed, I’ll probably only check out the last half hour or so tonight.  I’ve just never been a fan of the semis or finals.  I guess the little kid in me misses the old bowl format, or I'm just worn out on too much football at this time of year.

I mean, Michigan beat Ohio State.  That's a 'woot and a half'.  Then had to play a Big Ten title game again (snore).  Won a Rose Bowl!  That's a couple of 'woots', but now there's tonight......

Prediction:  Penix and crew could put on a hurt as bad as TCU administered to the Wolverines last year.  I feel like the Huskies have three Marvin Harrison, Jr. type receivers.  If it's only a one score game near the end, I like their chances of late game heroics. 

Oh, and I still have nightmares of Warren Moon ;)

Observation:  the almost disastrous botched fair catch by Michigan with forty some seconds left in the game last week.  I’ll never understand why college and pro teams do this (obviously done more often at the end of the first half).  There’s always that chance of muffing it.  Or, even if your opponent only has two TOs left, an incompletion means punting, where you risk allowing a FG and injury.  Let the ball end up at the 2 or 3 yard line, take a couple of knees, and move on.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #297 on: January 08, 2024, 02:04:48 PM »
I'm glad that the final Pac 12 game is against Michigan, it's very fitting and harken back to decades of epic Rose Bowl matchups.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #298 on: January 08, 2024, 02:12:35 PM »
Observation:  the almost disastrous botched fair catch by Michigan with forty some seconds left in the game last week.  I’ll never understand why college and pro teams do this (obviously done more often at the end of the first half).  There’s always that chance of muffing it.  Or, even if your opponent only has two TOs left, an incompletion means punting, where you risk allowing a FG and injury.  Let the ball end up at the 2 or 3 yard line, take a couple of knees, and move on.

Agreed, or maybe you get lucky and it bounces in the end zone, but attempting to make the fair catch is quite dumb at that point in the game.  It was a risk that almost cost them the game.  That guy is so lucky he isn't the one still being talked about  :lol

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #299 on: January 08, 2024, 05:45:39 PM »
For the love of god don’t let Michigan win.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #300 on: January 08, 2024, 06:25:32 PM »
Michigan looking really, really good so far. Hope Penix fires up soon.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #301 on: January 08, 2024, 06:28:29 PM »
Not the start I expected for either team.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #302 on: January 08, 2024, 06:33:40 PM »
No shit... UW is on their heels hard. They need a big turnover or something to get some momentum.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #303 on: January 08, 2024, 07:02:11 PM »
The PAC-12 ran a commercial?   :rollin :rollin

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #304 on: January 08, 2024, 07:04:54 PM »
Not sure why Michigan went for it on that fourth down.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #305 on: January 08, 2024, 07:10:37 PM »
The PAC-12 ran a commercial?   :rollin :rollin

Did they really? Must've been in the pisser

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #306 on: January 08, 2024, 09:11:12 PM »
Either UW wins 31-13, or UM wins 20-17.

I accidentally swapped the teams in my predictions, so I was actually only off by a field goal.  :biggrin:

Offline lightningbolt

« Reply #307 on: January 08, 2024, 10:39:17 PM »
Michigan really manhandled Washington upfront.  300+ rushing yards and maintained consistent pressure on Washington's QB/little running game for UW.  I thought Michigan should have been up real big at halftime, but they lost the plot for a bit and let Washington back in the game until the 4th quarter.  They were clearly the better team tonight.

The MVP on offense is from nearby (Fauquier County, VA), so that is cool.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #308 on: January 08, 2024, 11:02:55 PM »
Michigan won handedly. They are the clear national champions here. But I can’t help but wonder what things might’ve been like if the Huskies had been healthy. Penix was obviously not 100%, and in the 4th quarter, I doubt he was even 50%. In fact, once we were down two TDs with still 5-6 minutes to play, I think they should have pulled him. His throwing hand was effed up and he was holding his side…he was doing more harm than good at that point.  Seriously, why not send in the backup at that stage?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline emtee

« Reply #309 on: January 09, 2024, 03:53:12 AM »
What an unbelievable season. I will probably never get to experience another one like it. Icing on the cake was I got to see this team in person this year. Congrats to my Wolverines!

National champions.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #310 on: January 09, 2024, 06:35:39 AM »
Extra credit to the Michigan cheating staff.  No doubt the team on the field had the talent to win the title, but I think every non-Michigan fan is going seeing a tarnished trophy forever.  Enjoy the taint, embrace the taint.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #311 on: January 09, 2024, 07:27:13 AM »
What an unbelievable season. I will probably never get to experience another one like it. Icing on the cake was I got to see this team in person this year. Congrats to my Wolverines!

National champions.

Extra credit to the Michigan cheating staff.  No doubt the team on the field had the talent to win the title, but I think every non-Michigan fan is going seeing a tarnished trophy forever.  Enjoy the taint, embrace the taint.

I love how completely opposite these two comments are.  :lol

Two takeaways for me from this one that I think decided the game, and that were mentioned already. Michigan defense, especially the secondary that put Penix into a panic mode on nearly every play, and Penix's obvious injury that made him miss half his passes by a few feet decided this game. I think a healthy Penix, able to make the ones he missed (two of which would've easily been 7 points) and we'd be talking a completely different outcome. No matter, UM was the better team yesterday, and unlike FSU, they'll reap the rewards for going undefeated.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #312 on: January 09, 2024, 07:37:20 AM »
Seems to me that Penix was injured because of how good that Michigan D was. My point, if he was healthy, he might have gotten hurt again in another game because Michigan's defense is so damn good. They played to limit him and succeeded. Also that Michigan running game is really strong. They are a smash mouth football team and showed it.

I like how PSU played Michigan tougher  :biggrin: but seriously, the coolest part of them winning is that I got to see them play in person this year. As much as I hate them and I do believe what they did was cheating, they did have a really good team that in some way, I was a part of this season.

And with that I will share my YouTube short of yelling at them and causing them to use a time out this season  :lol https://youtube.com/shorts/aZ9fjk9-nkQ?si=30P-D-shNakeMFaZ

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #313 on: January 09, 2024, 08:16:15 AM »
I fucking hate Michigan, but I don't view this as tainted in any way.

They decidedly won the line of scrimmage, on both sides of the ball, which was of course their key to victory.

Hats off to the Wolverines, but it doesn't make up for losing to Appalachian State in 2007.  GO APP!  #Mountaineers

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2023 NCAA College Football-Hail to the Victors!!!
« Reply #314 on: January 09, 2024, 09:05:03 AM »
It was cute at the presser, where Jim Harbaugh said he'll now be able to sit at 'the adult table' at family gatherings,  :D referencing his father's and brother's accomplishments.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/8wmIiFuQMmk

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!