Author Topic: 2023 NCAA College Football-Hail to the Victors!!!  (Read 8373 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 2023 NCAA College Football-Championship Weekend Aftermath
« Reply #245 on: December 05, 2023, 06:33:50 PM »
Hey, maybe we can all agree on this:  Paul Finebaum is the most annoying and worthless person in the landscape of college sports media.

:tup :tup

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #246 on: December 06, 2023, 07:05:54 AM »
Won't argue with that.

On the lighter side, from The Athletic:  https://theathletic.com/5109159/2023/12/04/iowa-hawkeyes-beer-promo/?redirected=1

X-Golf in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, likes to come up with creative promotions. The golf simulator bar is a popular spot for those who live throughout eastern Iowa because of those promotions.

Its latest idea, however, “Pour Until Iowa Scores,” turned into a lot of pouring thanks to a struggling Iowa Hawkeyes offense during the Big Ten championship game.

X-Golf’s promo involved the company offering free draft beer until the Hawkeyes scored their first points of the game. The game was scheduled for an 8 p.m. ET (7 p.m. CT for Iowa) Saturday kickoff in Indianapolis. The promo was available for all customers who reserved a bay time before kickoff.

The Hawkeyes lost 26-0 to the Michigan Wolverines on Saturday, meaning indoor golfers who qualified received free beer for as long as they were playing.

For about three hours, free beer flowed as the Hawkeyes could not find the end zone against the Wolverines. In the end, general manager-in-training Dez Briner estimated between 100 and 200 free beers were served. Per a KWWL-TV report, roughly 120 beers were poured, which equated to more than $500 worth.

“We had all eight of our indoor bays going at once,” Briner said Sunday. “We did the math on it: On average, it would have been about 3 1/2 beers per person for everybody that was in here. We don’t have an exact number, but it was a lot more than we would normally (serve) on a Saturday, for sure.”

Iowa isn’t viewed as a college football offensive powerhouse, ranking dead last in total offense among 130 FBS teams, per the NCAA website, and averaging only 16.6 points per game (ranked 127th out of 130). Though there was a chance of a short wait for free beer to conclude against a stingy Michigan defense — ranked No. 2 in the country behind the Penn State Nittany Lions — Iowa mustered only 155 total yards and seven first downs. The Hawkeyes converted 4 of 15 third downs, punted the ball seven times and turned the ball over on downs three times.

In their only other game against a ranked opponent, a Sept. 23 matchup against Penn State, the Hawkeyes were shut out 31-0. Playing against a Michigan team that needed a win to clinch a spot in the College Football Playoff made Iowa’s task even more daunting.

But the combination of golf and free libations made for a good crowd at X-Golf, despite the game dominated by Michigan.

“Hawkeye games recently, it’s been hit or miss if we have people in here,” Briner said. “But all eight bays were going for a solid three hours (on Saturday).”

The “Pour Until Iowa Scores” promotion, even with Iowa’s offense, has been a go-to for this particular X-Golf location. It started with the Hawkeyes’ Oct. 14 contest against Wisconsin. The last time X-Golf had the promotion was Nov. 24, when Iowa won 13-10 at Nebraska. The Hawkeyes first scored with 13:22 left in the second quarter in that game.

In five previous “Pour Until Iowa Scores” promos, a 12-10 loss to the Minnesota Golden Gophers on Oct. 21 was the only time Iowa had lost.

Iowa now prepares for a matchup with the Tennessee Volunteers in the Citrus Bowl on Jan. 1. Perhaps the promo will return one more time this season.

And if Iowa struggles to score, it could be a win for some golfers, even if they are rooting for the Hawkeyes.

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #247 on: December 06, 2023, 07:12:46 AM »
 :lol

Yeah, Iowa's offense was as bad as their defense is good.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline emtee

« Reply #248 on: December 06, 2023, 07:38:21 AM »
DeSantis has said he may sue the committee due to potentially lost revenue. Senator Scott has asked the committee to preserve all notes, communications, etc. I don't think this rises to the level of getting politicians involved but it goes to show how strongly people feel.

It's time to move on and play the games.

Stunning number of players in the transfer portal. Between the decimation of storied conferences and all the money involved now, I think college football will be forever changed.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #249 on: December 06, 2023, 08:31:05 AM »
DeSantis must be looking at the polls and thinking what can he do?  :lol GTFO

As for the Iowa free beer thing, I feel like that is a terrible idea.  Luckily it seems no one died from intoxication  :lol

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #250 on: December 06, 2023, 08:44:02 AM »
DeSantis has said he may sue the committee due to potentially lost revenue.
Now I'm even more convinced that the committee made the right decision lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #251 on: December 06, 2023, 12:45:45 PM »
Any thoughts on the Heisman?  I think that it will be hard NOT to give it to Jayden Daniels, the LSU QB.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #252 on: December 06, 2023, 12:54:55 PM »
Any thoughts on the Heisman?  I think that it will be hard NOT to give it to Jayden Daniels, the LSU QB.

I dont have a strong opinion. As I haven't watched most of these guys.  I'm kind of leaning Nix just because he's on the better team than Daniels.  Daniels rushing stats put him in better position than Nix though.  Hard to tell.  Penix is on the even more better team than Nix, but his stats aren't quite as incredible.

Personally, I kind of like Marvin Harrison a lot.  He won't win, but I've just watched him the most and he actually takes over games from a non QB position. I'd love to have him on my NFL team maybe more than any of the other heisman candidates (I know that's not the criteria, just saying, I think this guy is a generational talent for his position).

But like I said, I don't have a strong opinion here, it's not like FSU vs. Alabama where I feel a bit more strongly about my opinion.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #253 on: December 06, 2023, 01:38:14 PM »
I would imagine that Harrison will be the most successful NFL player of this group.

But that's just a guess, you can't really tell.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #254 on: December 06, 2023, 08:36:16 PM »
UW should be ranked #1. I thought Penix had the Heisman after the first Oregon game, but he had some mediocre performances following that game that may ultimately hurt him. The only other time UW has had a finalist was Steve Emtman, who was never going to win being a lineman.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #255 on: December 07, 2023, 08:46:03 AM »
UW should be ranked #1. I thought Penix had the Heisman after the first Oregon game, but he had some mediocre performances following that game that may ultimately hurt him.
I agree with you on both fronts.

Furthermore, I think that if Bo Nix had had a Nix-like, Herculean performance in the PAC-12 title game, he might have nailed down the Heisman.  But he didn't, so my money is on Daniels.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #256 on: December 16, 2023, 08:03:47 PM »
Hope nobody took the under in the Cal/Texas Tech game...I got a feeling they're gonna light this shit up.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #257 on: December 16, 2023, 08:38:47 PM »
What's college football?  Damn BC changed the criteria to be an athlete and screwed their sports program.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #258 on: December 16, 2023, 08:55:07 PM »
Appalachian State won the Heavy Downpour Bowl. Their seventh bowl win in eight bowl appearances. #Mountaineers

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #259 on: December 16, 2023, 09:04:35 PM »
Tech is looking very impressive, Cal needs to step their shit up in the second half to avoid getting smoked

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #260 on: December 23, 2023, 09:55:01 AM »
Just saw the CFP games are on ESPN, which I do not have.  :sadpanda:
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #261 on: December 23, 2023, 11:50:45 AM »
Just saw the CFP games are on ESPN, which I do not have.  :sadpanda:
No cable?

Might be time to sign up for ESPN +

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
No cable. Netflix and Disney+ is all we have, plus an HD antenna for local channels. Might be the only time of year I ever think about wanting ESPN. Rarely watch any sports, these days.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
That stinks.  All the broadcasting rights stuff has really messed with the game.  This year, the Big 10 had a few select (basically the weakest games) on streaming only.  I think Peacock, which we don't have.  So lots of PSU fans were not happy to not be able to watch one game this year on traditional TV.  We have youtubeTV so we get ESPN and the Big 10 Network so otherwise we can watch all the games.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Should just expand your D+ to the bundle, get hulu and espn for a few bucks extra, and tons of good content added.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
No cable. Netflix and Disney+ is all we have, plus an HD antenna for local channels. Might be the only time of year I ever think about wanting ESPN. Rarely watch any sports, these days.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Or that...just 11 bucks.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
66-3 Georgia over Florida State!?!  Is Florida still going to sue the NCAA over not including the Seminoles in the Final Four? :huh:

I feel bad for them.  29 scholarship players did not play due to injury, sitting out, or being in the portal.  That's basically what is happening to most of these ESPN money making games, most with 6-6 or 7-5 teams, played in front of half empty stadiums.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
If anything, that game showed me Georgia should have been in the playoffs.  Too many people on FSU not playing for it to mean anything about that team, granted I think they would have lost in the playoffs even with everyone playing, but I'm starting to think Georgia got shafted just as bad.

And the bowls are mostly in shambles right now because of it.  Even the PSU game, 3 defensive starters dont play and PSU lost their defensive coordinator to Duke so no leaders on the field for the team and it showed.  It's hard to find meaning in some of these games beyond some stats and pride that a few show.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
In the current 4 team format, I'd never make an argument for a non-conference winner going to the playoffs.

As for today...predictions...

Bama beats Michigan

UW beats Texas

and Oregon puts 70 on Liberty while the Duck goes on oxygen for doing too many pushups.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
So far, good showing by Liberty. Not so much by the hated, stinking, ducks.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Yeah...that didn't last long. Hope they can put up a few more points, but I think there's just way too big a talent disparity for this one to be competitive.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Yeah, this one is gonna get ugly...

If the bowl committee was really focused on the best games, they should've had GA vs Oregon, that would've been amazing.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, I took a little nap and the Fuck’n Ducks put up 35 unanswered points.   :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Bowl games have been a sham this year.  Very uninteresting games even though some match ups looked good on paper.  Hopefully the playoffs are competitive tonight.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
This Rose bowl game is building that vibe to be one for the ages... I just can feel it. Unfortunately I couldn't give two shits for either team.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
This Rose bowl game is building that vibe to be one for the ages... I just can feel it. Unfortunately I couldn't give two shits for either team.

I have it on, so I'm watching, but I'm listening to music. Are all of the important players playing? I think I saw a couple of games in the last few days where large swaths of kids were sitting out.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef

I have it on, so I'm watching, but I'm listening to music. Are all of the important players playing? I think I saw a couple of games in the last few days where large swaths of kids were sitting out.

Oh yeah, this one's and tonight's are for the title, they're putting it all on the line here.

The Fla St team had like 20 players sitting out, they were the team that got left out of the playoffs even though they went undefeated in a major conference.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Oh yeah, this one's and tonight's are for the title, they're putting it all on the line here.

The Fla St team had like 20 players sitting out, they were the team that got left out of the playoffs even though they went undefeated in a major conference.

Oh, were they the #4 team? I saw the seeds of today's games and saw that it was 1 vs 5 and 2 vs 3. I was like...where's #4? :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef

Oh, were they the #4 team? I saw the seeds of today's games and saw that it was 1 vs 5 and 2 vs 3. I was like...where's #4? :lol

Yup... Fla St went undefeated and ended up #4 in the AP Poll, but the Bowl Committee uses the bullshit excuse of trying to make the best matchups/pick the best teams to ensure the SEC has a team in the mix and decided since Fla didn't have their starting QB they wouldn't be a good matchup and that Bama would be the better team. Granted earlier in the season Bama already got beat soundly by #3 Texas. Fla ran the table and won their division, they overcame all tasks in their way.

When it came time for their game against a very, very strong GA team, Fla players decided to boycott the game, hence the huge blowout.