Author Topic: 2023 NCAA College Football-Hail to the Victors!!!  (Read 8324 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: 2023 NCAA College Football
« Reply #140 on: October 27, 2023, 02:32:38 PM »
I would LOVE for PSU to beat Michigan. I am tired of seeing some pundits claim that Michigan is clearly the best team when they haven't played anyone.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #141 on: October 28, 2023, 05:12:22 PM »
Oh well…

Go Bears! :gobears:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #142 on: October 28, 2023, 06:10:39 PM »
God dammit, coach! Kick the extra point, and go to overtime at home!!!  >:(
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #143 on: October 29, 2023, 12:28:25 PM »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: November 02, 2023, 02:22:38 PM »
Geeze, the big 10 announced the 2024 football schedules today... wild with the Pac12 schools.

PSU has a brutal stretch of UCLA, USC, Wisconsin, Ohio State and Washington in a row (with a bye in the middle) oof

as for this weekend coming up, defintiely a lot of good games that can shake things up.  The playoff rankings are in and Ohio State is #1 and I think they earned it over Michigan who have 0 big wins so far, and Georgia who has struggled at times.  I actually think FSU and Washington are more deserving of #3 than Michigan right now.  PSU got shafted by the committee, but I think a lot of it is meaningless beyond the top 5 right now because things will shake out in the weeks to come.

I wouldnt be surprised if PSU struggles or even loses to Maryland this week.  They've struggled on the road and Maryland has a lot to play for since they've been struggling lately.  But PSU should win this to bring on the big game next week with Michigan to see if they can turn the season around.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #145 on: November 04, 2023, 12:05:38 PM »
Cal heads up to Oregon today. Given our propensity for giving up points in massive chunks, that poor Duck is going to be doing a lot of pushups today.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #146 on: November 06, 2023, 10:42:35 AM »
I still think that Oregon and Washington are the two best teams I've seen this year.  And I've seen everyone.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #147 on: November 06, 2023, 10:44:32 AM »
I still think that Oregon and Washington are the two best teams I've seen this year.  And I've seen everyone.

I'm not sure the majority of the Big 12 knows what's coming their way. These additions will completely upend the power structure of that conference.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #148 on: November 06, 2023, 10:53:39 AM »

I'm not sure the majority of the Big 12 knows what's coming their way. These additions will completely upend the power structure of that conference.
Do you mean the Big 10?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: November 06, 2023, 11:21:55 AM »

I'm not sure the majority of the Big 1210 knows what's coming their way. These additions will completely upend the power structure of that conference.

Yes and no.  The Big 10 has competition as well.  The issue is, IMO, going to be a lot more difficult for the west coast schools to join a mideast conference.  Historically all the teams that have previously joined the Big 10 struggled quite a bit.  Nebraska still haven't come found themselves for example.  But given how PSU's schedule looks next year, it certainly feels like an overall much stronger and competitive league.

I'm soooo excited for the PSU Michigan game this weekend.  Will be my first time returning to PSU for a game in 6 years and it's about as big of a game as you can get.  The stadium is doing a stripe out (wear blue or white depending on which section you are in). Sadly I'm in a blue section but I just got a new white jersey, oh well, I'm going to wear it anyway. With all the cheating talk for Michigan, I get the feeling a lot of the general college football fan base is going to be rooting for PSU. 

PSU still has a very outside path to the playoffs.  If PSU beats Michigan and Michigan beats Ohio State, that leaves those three in a 3 way tie for the big 10 East division and the tie breaker would be the overall record of the Big 10 West schools each team faced.  Right now, PSU is winning that tie breaker and based on remaining games, are currently still predicted to win that tie breaker.  A LOT on the line for PSU to play for this weekend beyond pride/beating michigan/whatever.  PSU can still win the Big 10 this year.

Having said all that.  I dont expect to win.  I see something like a 21-14 loss.  Michigan's defense is crazy good and PSUs offense is questionable. Hopefully being home and the way our offense played last week will change that.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #150 on: November 06, 2023, 12:14:36 PM »
IMO, the Big 10 is very top-heavy.  There is a LARGE difference between the top-tier teams and even the next tier, much more than in most conferences.  At least, from what I can tell.

I think that when Oregon and Washington, especially, walk in, it's going to be a feeding frenzy.  Their competition with Michigan, Ohio St, and Penn St will probably be close, but everyone else will be a blood bath.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: November 06, 2023, 01:21:17 PM »
IMO, the Big 10 is very top-heavy.  There is a LARGE difference between the top-tier teams and even the next tier, much more than in most conferences.  At least, from what I can tell.

I think that when Oregon and Washington, especially, walk in, it's going to be a feeding frenzy.  Their competition with Michigan, Ohio St, and Penn St will probably be close, but everyone else will be a blood bath.

Definitely the case this year, and probably most years, but it's been really highlighted by the Big 10 divisions showing that the East is just so much better,  The Big 10 West has never won the Big 10 since it's inception.  They really should have done what the Pac 12 and Big 12 did, remove divisions.  I still think the Big 10 would be top heavy, but it may not be so glaring.  Divisions go away next year for the Big 10.  There's definitely going to be a lot of bottom feeders.  It'll come down to scheduling, some teams will make out and others won't.  Not so different than any other year.  I do think it will be harder to go undefeated, but with 12 team playoffs, it will lessen the impact. 

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #152 on: November 06, 2023, 05:12:12 PM »

Do you mean the Big 10?

Who the fuck knows these days...we got a big 10 and a big 12, both with over 16 teams or something. The Atlantic conference has west coast teams... and it's a good bet I'll die without ever seeing my beloved Bears in the Rosebowl.

Seriously no meaning left to college football man.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: November 06, 2023, 05:39:52 PM »
Seriously no meaning left to college football man.

I'm not a fan of the changes either, besides playoff expansion.  Would have loved to see next years playoffs with the traditional P5 conferences we've all grown to love and follow.  It feels a lot of that will be lost and this becomes more like minor league NFL with all the money involved and the portal transfer system.  I do hope it's still just as fun to follow along and maybe new traditions form, but it does feel like a lot will be lost with the changes.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #154 on: November 06, 2023, 08:00:05 PM »
I really can't understate how mindblowing it is that the PAC 810 12 is no longer a thing. It's been ingrained in my since I was born man. Seriously, just try to wrap your head around the Big 10 just fucking crumbling in a 2 year span...

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #155 on: November 07, 2023, 08:12:06 AM »
I really can't understate how mindblowing it is that the PAC 810 12 is no longer a thing. It's been ingrained in my since I was born man. Seriously, just try to wrap your head around the Big 10 just fucking crumbling in a 2 year span...
At some point in the next 5-10 years, I will go through the same thing with the ACC.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: November 10, 2023, 03:50:37 PM »
Sorry that someone here will be visiting Happy Valley, and not have the chance to boo Jim Harbaugh tomorrow. 😉
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #157 on: November 10, 2023, 06:17:48 PM »
Sorry that someone here will be visiting Happy Valley, and not have the chance to boo Jim Harbaugh tomorrow. 😉
:lol

Man, fuck that guy.

Harbaugh, not cramx3.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: November 11, 2023, 09:01:52 AM »
The Utes are at Husky Stadium today. Probably too big of an ask to get a win there, but I'm looking forward to seeing both teams. I've always liked UW (when we're not playing them) and that stadium is beautiful and has a loud and proud atmosphere.

GO UTES!!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #159 on: November 11, 2023, 09:05:37 AM »
We're at Wazoo today, slight chance if a W

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #160 on: November 11, 2023, 04:50:22 PM »
Guess Michigan can hold their own without the cheating coach.

Oh, and when the fuck did Oregon St sneak up to #12?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: November 12, 2023, 09:25:04 AM »
Definitely another poor performance for PSU.  So annoying to see the offense not able to show up for the two big games this year.  I actually wished they didn't suspend Harbough the night before the game.  Personally thought that was a weird decision from the Big 10, in terms of timing and punishment. No one I was with was happy with that news as we all wanted a "fair" game as you can get. I guess it didn't matter.  Had an absolute blast hanging with my 3 college buds, two of which I never get to see so while the game sucked, it was an awesome time.

And compared to the last time I went to a game there, 2017 vs. Pitt, the experience was significantly better.  Could also be that my friend has season tickets and parking passes, been to all the games, and knows exactly where to be and when helps. Looking forward to returning in a future season and hopefully a better game outcome.

I likely 10-2 finish and decent bowl games, a repeat of last year for PSU.  I just hope they don't get content and let Rutgers slip by next week though.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #162 on: November 12, 2023, 02:27:47 PM »
The big difference between me and Jimbo Fisher is that if my employer fires me, I won't receive a $76 million buyout package.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #163 on: November 17, 2023, 09:31:12 AM »
So, out of nowhere, Michigan de-escalates and decides to just accept the Big 10's punishment of suspending Harbaugh.

What a bunch of bullshit, especially after all of their bluster.  I can't take them seriously.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #164 on: November 18, 2023, 03:45:44 PM »
Hell yeah, Appalachian State beats James Madison 26-23 in OT!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: November 18, 2023, 04:03:07 PM »
Nice, good win for them

Kind of a crappy slate of games this weekend.  PSU won, but the offense is a joke.  They fired the OC after the Michigan game last week, which partly feels like a James Franklin scapegoat, but also, feels necessary.  Obviously I don't expect the offense to all of the sudden be good without the OC, but I didn't expect them to just start having our QB run draws up the middle leading to an injury.   :facepalm: This offense has a lot of issues and wayyy too much talent to be like this.  PSU should beat MSU next week to finish 10-2 and basically most people would say thats a great season, but I'd bet PSU gets beat by a decent team in a NY6 bowl game because this offense can't hang with any good team.

Also, the Big 10 sucks this year.  No great competitive games.  Maybe "the game" next week will be a good one, but there's literally been nothing worth watching out of the Big 10 this season which sucks.  Just a frustrated fan this season, so much potential.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: November 18, 2023, 09:09:48 PM »
Let's Go UW!! Where you at TempusVox??
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: November 18, 2023, 09:14:15 PM »
Congrats to the Huskies and the Bears!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #168 on: November 19, 2023, 07:09:18 AM »
People like Paul Finebaum give the media a bad name.  Apparently he won't acknowledge Michigan as the national champs if they win it.  Congrats, nobody cares, or at least nobody should care.  I have no skin in the game as far as Michigan's alleged cheating (from what I read, it appears to be one of those "everyone does it, they just got caught/exposed" deals), but people like Finebaum are self-important blowhards.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #169 on: November 19, 2023, 07:55:04 AM »
Also, the Big 10 sucks this year.  No great competitive games.  Maybe "the game" next week will be a good one, but there's literally been nothing worth watching out of the Big 10 this season which sucks.  Just a frustrated fan this season, so much potential.
I agree with this.  Honestly, I don't think Ohio State or Michigan could hang with Georgia, Washington, Oregon, or Alabama.

People like Paul Finebaum give the media a bad name.  Apparently he won't acknowledge Michigan as the national champs if they win it.  Congrats, nobody cares, or at least nobody should care.  I have no skin in the game as far as Michigan's alleged cheating (from what I read, it appears to be one of those "everyone does it, they just got caught/exposed" deals), but people like Finebaum are self-important blowhards.
I wouldn't say it's an "everyone does it" thing.  But agreed 100% on Finebaum.  What a douchebag.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #170 on: November 26, 2023, 11:13:00 AM »
Cal decisively beats UCLA in what looks to be the final regular season game ever for the Pac 12 conference. So hard to believe it's really done with.

Offline emtee

« Reply #171 on: November 27, 2023, 05:10:13 AM »
Solid game from my Wolverines. Ohio State is a tough team to beat.

Someone please explain to me why Auburn's defense coordinator decides to only rush 2 players on the last play? So you drop 9 back deep and still allow yourself to get beat. Worst call I've ever seen. And before that your punt returner falls down with nobody around him and muffs it. That whole ending was an epic fail. Almost seems like they tried to lose it was so bad.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: November 27, 2023, 08:17:34 AM »
Solid game from my Wolverines. Ohio State is a tough team to beat.

I'm no michigan fan, and was rooting for OSU, but really makes you wonder, did they need to steal those signs?  It feels like The Patriots with taping the teams or deflating the balls.  Trying to find any illegal competitive edge, when you really dont need it since your team is good enough. 

Probably the most boring 10-2 season I've ever watched from PSU.  None of the games were a good watch this year.  Either a complete blowout against a poor team, or an offensive struggle leading to a boring game against the two teams with a pulse. Although I'm shocked Iowa with the worst offense in all of college football made it to 10-2 and honestly should be 11-1 since they had a bad call ruin a win for them. But no one really thinks they are good so even beating them 31-0 earlier in the year doesn't feel like the victory it otherwise would be against a 10-2 team. 

I guess for PSU, the hope would be to play in a NY6 bowl game against one of the other 10-2 SEC teams (Missouri or Ole Miss) and if they can win, then they'll finish in the top 10 and have a decent win to mark the season (like last year).  But things need to fall in place for that to happen next weekend.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #173 on: November 27, 2023, 10:17:58 AM »
App St beat Georgia Southern in the "Deeper Than Hate" rivalry, which, coupled with James Madison's win against Coastal Carolina, sends my Mountaineers to the #FunBelt title game this Saturday!  Hell yeah!

Also, Louisville was craptastic this weekend.  What the hell.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: 2023 NCAA College Football-Championship Week
« Reply #174 on: November 28, 2023, 12:43:19 PM »
My conference championship game predictions:

Conference USA: New Mexico State vs. Liberty

PAC-12: Oregon vs. Washington

Big 12: Oklahoma State vs. Texas

MAC: Miami (Oh) vs. Toledo

Mountain West: Boise State vs. UNLV

SEC: Georgia vs. Alabama

AAC: SMU vs. Tulane

Funbelt: Appalachian State vs. Troy

Big Ten: Michigan vs. Iowa

ACC: Louisville vs. Florida State

Which would leave the four playoff entrants as Georgia, Michigan, Oregon, and probably Ohio State, I guess.

I will be pulling for Iowa massively.