Author Topic: 2023 NCAA College Football-Hail to the Victors!!!  (Read 8333 times)

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Last Edit: January 09, 2024, 08:56:08 AM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: 2023 NCAA College Football
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2023, 11:33:37 AM »
Colorado announces they're following USC and UCLA to the Big 12...really starting to wonder if the Pac 9 will endure for long at this rate.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2023, 05:08:48 AM »
I thought USC and UCLA are going to the Big10, and Colorado is going back to the Big12 from whence they came.

I hear the PAC12 is trying to get SMU to join up. I think Fresno State is also a shoe in for the conference.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2023, 02:21:34 PM »
I thought USC and UCLA are going to the Big10, and Colorado is going back to the Big12 from whence they came.
This is correct.

From what I hear, Oregon and Washington REALLY want to go to the Big 10, but the Big 10 prefers to stand pat for now.

The Pac 12 is in real trouble.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2023, 02:42:30 PM »
This is correct.

From what I hear, Oregon and Washington REALLY want to go to the Big 10, but the Big 10 prefers to stand pat for now.

Hopefully they can whittle it down to just Cal, it might be our one chance to go to the Rose Bowl.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2023, 03:38:32 PM »
 :lol
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline T-ski

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2023, 05:14:44 PM »
Badgers Badgers Badgers.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2023, 07:10:14 PM »
Cautiously optimistic Husker fan. Matt Ruhle appears to be doing all of the right things after Scott Frost set the program back another decade with his incompetence. Will be happy with a bowl game this year though I really hope they destroy Colorado.

Speaking of conference realignment, I heard a nother rumor about Clemson and FSU leaving the ACC for the Big10. I can't imagine the Big 10 saying no to them and Oregon.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2023, 06:41:06 AM »
I have seen TONS of rumors.  I made the mistake of doing a "Colorado football" search on Youtube after I heard the news about them returning to the Big 12, and I found out that there are literally hundreds of Youtubers who are allegedly "insider journalists" and they are all peddling contradicting rumors and remember, "you heard it here first!"

So I don't believe anything unless it comes from a legit journalist.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2023, 07:00:56 PM »
I listen to a lot of local sports talk radio - stations that carry UW/Pac12 sports - while at work and it's crazy how fast reports and perspectives change on nearly an hourly basis.

Just heard someone say we are headed for a two conference system, similar to the NFL. A FOX conference, and an ESPN conference.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2023, 11:09:45 AM »
Seems the Pac 12 is imploding now...

Oregon and Washington to the Big 10, Arizona to the Big 12...also Colorado, USC, and UCLA gone.

The remaining Pac 6.... Cal, Stanfurd, ASU, WSU, OSU, and Utah....

Feel free to check my math, just going by a text message from my dad at the moment.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2023, 12:19:52 PM »
Arizona to the Big 12 is not a done deal yet, but could be today or this weekend.

Oregon and Washington are apparently going to have their formal applications to join the Big 10 in this afternoon, after which there will be a vote among the Big 10 schools tonight.

It was thought that if Arizona goes to the Big 12, that Arizona State and Utah would follow.

Which would leave Cal, Stanford, Wazzoo, and Oregon State.

Speculation I have seen is in that instance, WSU and OSU would most likely apply to join the Mountain West, and Cal and Stanford would go independent.  *shrugs*

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2023, 07:27:55 PM »
Arizona to the Big 12 is not a done deal yet, but could be today or this weekend.

Oregon and Washington are apparently going to have their formal applications to join the Big 10 in this afternoon, after which there will be a vote among the Big 10 schools tonight.

It was thought that if Arizona goes to the Big 12, that Arizona State and Utah would follow.

Which would leave Cal, Stanford, Wazzoo, and Oregon State.

Speculation I have seen is in that instance, WSU and OSU would most likely apply to join the Mountain West, and Cal and Stanford would go independent.  *shrugs*

Stanfurd could do the independent thing, not sure Cal could finance it, they don't have the support base that Stanfurd does. I was talking with my dad about it, and it's kind of a come to Jesus moment for Cal fans that we just need to accept that we aren't major conference caliber, and if we want to be a part of the conversation instead of a footnote, maybe being in a mid major will be a better thing for us.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2023, 07:28:58 PM »
I listen to a lot of local sports talk radio - stations that carry UW/Pac12 sports...

So the 10a-1p guys both went to WSU, and one of them said that this was the worst sports day of his life, worse than when the Sonics left - which is still a sore subject for many here. Contrast that with the 3p guy who went to UW, who sounded like he just won the lottery.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2023, 06:14:14 AM »
I find the PAC-12 death to be completely depressing. 108 years of tradition, the Apple Cup, the Civil War, The Big Game, the historic players and teams. Even though Utah (my school) was a recent entry into the conference, it made us fans proud to be part of all that. The prestige actually boosted Utah's academics alongside our sports programs. And the conference has no one to blame but themselves for hiring athletic outsiders to run the show. There were so many opportunities to avoid all this...but alas.

I feel the worst for OSU and Wassu, where are they going to go from here? Cal and Stanford's academic reputations and historical sports glory will eventually land them somewhere, even if they have to go independent.

I don't know, it sucks.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2023, 09:19:55 AM »
Oregon big 10
Wash big 10
USC big 10
UCLA big 10
Au big12
ASU big12
Utah big12
Colorado big 12

No source, just a text from my brother.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2023, 08:16:21 AM »
Confirmed, Chef. Here's a source for you.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2023, 08:56:32 PM »
This whole shitstorm is going to absolutely hate fuck Cal's recruiting class. We're good and screwed at least this year, of not for a few to come if we don't get a solid solution soon.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2023, 05:37:12 AM »
I hear the PAC is meeting with the Mountain West this morning to discuss expansion of Mountain West teams into the PAC.

I'm guessing they're going after Boise St, Fresno St, SD State, Hawaii, UNLV, and Colorado State. Those are the biggest TV markets in MW and/or recruiting hot spots. That would give the PAC ten teams to use as leverage for a new media deal. Maybe even entice a few Texas based Group of Five schools over to join them and get back to having twelve teams. Not ideal, but perhaps better than being independent.

Also, some are saying that Big 12 isn't done poaching schools. They may be talking with Cal still, but word is they're more concerned with adding basketball power to the conference...like Gonzaga, or UConn...or both.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2023, 08:40:04 AM »
Honestly I'd rather see Cal in a conference with the MWC teams then jump into the juggernaut of the Big 12

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2023, 01:59:56 PM »
I hear the PAC is meeting with the Mountain West this morning to discuss expansion of Mountain West teams into the PAC.
Not sure how that will work, since the MWC has an exit fee of $32 million for any teams leaving it.  Seems more likely that the PAC folds and its teams join the MWC.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2023, 05:37:00 PM »
Talks of Cal and Stanfurd to the ACC????

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2023, 06:18:58 AM »
I would be shocked if that happens. No financial advantage for the ACC. 

UNLESS it's a move to finally draw in Notre Dame to full membership (they already play 5 ACC teams every year, plus Stanford - if they become a member, then Notre Dame joining would really only mean adding 2 more ACC games for a full conference slate, and a shot at a conference championship every season), which WOULD be enough for the ACC to reopen negotiations with their TV partners to change their deal.  If they could increase the per year take for each school, and decrease the length of the deal, that would make the currently dissatisfied members happier.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2023, 08:39:56 AM »
Plus the prospect of getting schooled in basketball by Dook and UNC annually really isn't too appealing  :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2023, 08:54:31 AM »
Plus the prospect of getting schooled in basketball by Dook and UNC annually really isn't too appealing  :lol
:lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2023, 10:04:47 AM »

It's a wierd move but its only on the table because of the financial advantage.  I read adding those schools gaurantees the CA TV market for the ACC.  It's all about the media contracts and apparantly a lot of money can be made if the ACC got CA to be subscribers to their content. 

It's the same reason the Big10 now went after Washington and Oregon.  To expand the TV/streaming footprint of the conference. 

This whole thing kind of sucks.  Being in the Big 10, it's better to be on the inside than the outside (leftover Pac12 schools), but I don't think this is good for the sport as a whole to lose all the regional rivalries and to have such bloated conferences. 

In the end, it's almost like we are going to hvae 4 major conferences and anyone left out is out of what will be the new Div1A or whatever they will call it league for football.  But this new Big 12 looks pretty weak honestly and the Pac# basically is non existent. 

This is correct.

Hopefully they can whittle it down to just Cal, it might be our one chance to go to the Rose Bowl.

I think last year was the last traditional Rose Bowl as it's part of the playoffs going forward.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2023, 10:37:27 AM »
I was talking with my dad yesterday, and he said if 15 year old him had known the Rose Bowl he attended in '59 would've been Cal's last, he would've appreciated it more.  :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2023, 10:54:08 AM »
 :lol that is sad though, sucks to see so many traditions end.  Glad I got to see my team win it unlike the two previous times I got to see my team play it and be heart broken. 

As for this actual season, I'm pretty excited.  Penn State is going to be a top 10 team out of the gate and will be deserving of that ranking. 

They have a new QB who was a top rated QB in his class so the expectations are high and that he'll be better than our previous QB in terms of talent, but he needs experience and you just never know how a player will pan out.  Easily the biggest question mark, but considering how highly rated Drew Allar was, this should not be an issue.  But PSU will be returning maybe their best OL in 10 years and maybe has the best 2 RBs in the Big 10.  So Allar will have a lot of help. 

The defense may be even better than last year.  The D is just loaded with talent specifically at LB and CB.  Might have the best secondary in the Big 10 again. Defending Marvin Harrison Jr will still be a huge challenge (just like last year).

And just like last year, it will come down to having to beat Michigan and/or Ohio State and those two will start the season in the top 5 likely.  No easy task and I'd say it's a a 50/50 shot they win one of those two. (I think Ohio State is the weaker of the two, but OSU is on the road, Michigan is home).  I could see this team going 10-2 with loses to both those teams just like last year.  But honestly, this is the most talented PSU team coming into the season in awhile and we finally have a capable OC and DC to cover up Franklins game day coaching blunders from the past.

A few of my PSU buddies have been planning to go to the Michigan game this year.  I'm in, but plans aren't finalized yet.  It will be my first game at PSU in a very long time.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2023, 11:13:11 AM »
I've spent my whole life waiting for it, I even have a special shirt.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2023, 11:27:26 AM »

It's a wierd move but its only on the table because of the financial advantage.  I read adding those schools gaurantees the CA TV market for the ACC.  It's all about the media contracts and apparantly a lot of money can be made if the ACC got CA to be subscribers to their content. 

It's the same reason the Big10 now went after Washington and Oregon.  To expand the TV/streaming footprint of the conference. 
Not really.  Stanford and Cal fans don't feature the same kind of draw, through TV viewership or live attendance/support for their teams, as Oregon and Washington.  There is a reason they are among the leftovers that no one else wanted, despite the fact that Stanford has the top athletic program overall in the nation.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2023, 11:34:55 AM »

Not really.  Stanford and Cal fans don't feature the same kind of draw, through TV viewership or live attendance/support for their teams, as Oregon and Washington.  There is a reason they are among the leftovers that no one else wanted, despite the fact that Stanford has the top athletic program overall in the nation.

I agree but its not really about any of that.  The ACC TV contract guarantees TV sets for every state a school resides in. CA being the biggest state in the US has a lot of TVs.  Apparantly the Pac# TV deal was so bad that schools like Oregon/Washington are taking significantly less money than the current Big10 teams but are still making more than they would have.  It's all about those TV/streaming contracts. This was also the ONLY reason the Big 10 took Rutgers.  The NJ TV market is huge.

I see no real reason beyond $$$ that any west coast school should be in the ACC, but money talks as we see time and time again when it comes to re-alignment. I'm not saying this will happen, it's just what I've read and the reasons why it might happen. Oregon/UW to the Big 10 was talked about for awhile and made a lot more sense. (it was never about their prestige, simply about being the big schools in those states to get the market).  I'm only just hearing these ACC rumblings now.  Who knows.  I also read FSU might bolt the ACC for the Big 10.  I think the Big 10 would take them for the Florida market. UNC would be another candidate IMO (although I havent read much rumblings about them).

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2023, 11:49:53 AM »
Florida State would love to leave the ACC.  But they should probably just shut up about it, because the $120 million exit fee precludes it, and their grant-of-rights all the way to 2036 means no other conference could show their home games.  It would be a huge legal pain in the butt for any other conference.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2023, 12:04:42 PM »
Florida State would love to leave the ACC.  But they should probably just shut up about it, because the $120 million exit fee precludes it, and their grant-of-rights all the way to 2036 means no other conference could show their home games.  It would be a huge legal pain in the butt for any other conference.

Goes back to the money.  Big 10 money would be worth it, apparantly from what I read.  But I don't know if any of that is true.  The ACC definitely has a money tie up issue with their contracts.  The Pac# didn't have that as their contracts all ended after this season making it easy to bail.  Who knows, I do look forward to the new playoff system in 2024, but all of it could be moot if the conference re-alignment ruins the sport.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2023, 07:34:55 PM »
ACC turns down the Bay Area schools... hard to think two of the country's top educational, D1 institutions will be left on the scrap heap in all this.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2023, 12:02:33 PM »
ACC turns down the Bay Area schools... hard to think two of the country's top educational, D1 institutions will be left on the scrap heap in all this.

There's going to be some schools on the outside looking in I think, sucks for those schools.  I definitely feel bad for the fans of such schools. Not saying those two will be stuck out, but who knows, but it's certainly not about academics.