Author Topic: JP, Tosin, and Devin on Rick Beato  (Read 2378 times)

Offline Skeever

JP, Tosin, and Devin on Rick Beato
« on: July 26, 2023, 07:53:36 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoDFEYKUB7g&t=4073s

Extremely entertaining conversation for guitar nerds. Amazing to learn that pretty much all these guys were "self taught".

Offline goo-goo

Re: JP, Tosin, and Devin on Rick Beato
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2023, 09:38:51 AM »
I saw it yesterday. Devin never ceases to amaze me. I hope Rick brings Devin back because he composes and views the guitar on a very different perspective than JP and Tosin. My favorite part was when Devin talks about synesthesia and how he brought Mike Keneally to aid with translating that into actual notes to an orchestra (guessing it was for Empath).

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2023, 12:40:20 PM »
I watched the whole thing yesterday. I usually think these kinds of things can be quite cheesy, but I couldn't shut it off.

To hear Rick Beato say he loves Metal...does he even ever feature metal on his channel?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline HOF

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2023, 02:30:39 PM »
I watched the whole thing yesterday. I usually think these kinds of things can be quite cheesy, but I couldn't shut it off.

To hear Rick Beato say he loves Metal...does he even ever feature metal on his channel?

He’s done a few metal “What Makes This Song Great” episodes (Pantera, Metallica, Karnivool, Deftones, Tool, Polyphia).

He played in metal bands and produced a number of nu-metal type acts as well, so that’s a big part of his background.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2023, 02:45:04 PM »

He’s done a few metal “What Makes This Song Great” episodes (Pantera, Metallica, Karnivool, Deftones, Tool, Polyphia).

He played in metal bands and produced a number of nu-metal type acts as well, so that’s a big part of his background.

OK. I haven't paid much attention to him since finding his channel a couple of years ago.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2023, 02:47:56 PM »
Watched until I left work. Will finish it tomorrow.

Had to stop when Tosin is demonstrating and discussing his technique.

WHAT THE HELL IS HE DOING?! 

I’m sad John had settled into just doing the JP thing cause seeing whatever Tosin was doing was damn exciting, even if I don’t think I can listen to a whole album of that style. Also fun to see Devin and JP describe music so vastly differently. I wish I had the ability to relate to music the way Devin does.

Either way, super fascinating. Got bored at the gear talk, but that’s never been my thing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2023, 05:29:06 PM »
Great interview. I loved the part when they talked about how it was when they learned guitar and how that is different for kids now. I really identify with what JP said.

I'm of the generation that did not have YouTube in the very early days but ended up getting it in the somewhat early days. And just like EVH was the WTF?! guy to JP, Steve Vai was that for me. You had to imagine what they were doing to get those sounds. It was not too long after that we did end up getting YouTube where you could see all the videos, but it was cool to hear JP talk about guitar when he was growing up.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2023, 10:41:55 PM »
Really enjoyed this. Devin was awesome, loved his guitar playing. He is just a bit different. All 3 are great though and obviously have a ton of passion for what they do.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2023, 04:31:22 AM »

I've seen Metallica,  Slipknot ect on his channel.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2023, 06:52:59 AM »
Back to watching it!

It's amazing how different Devin is.

Rick: So how do you all practice?

JP: Here's a bunch of technical routines that I use to focus on clean picking, scale fragments, string skipping, and so forth.
Tosin: I just do what I grew up watching JP do
Devin: I watch videos of trains and drink coffee and just make noise and see what happens
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2023, 08:46:01 AM »
Back to watching it!

It's amazing how different Devin is.

Rick: So how do you all practice?

JP: Here's a bunch of technical routines that I use to focus on clean picking, scale fragments, string skipping, and so forth.
Tosin: I just do what I grew up watching JP do
Devin: I watch videos of trains and drink coffee and just make noise and see what happens

And JP looked intrigued by his thought process.  Devin is definitely a landscape visualizer. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline HOF

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2023, 09:01:48 AM »
Not done yet, but I’m definitely cracking up any time Devin has something to add. He’s just so different than the other three guys in the room. He responds to every question with something philosophical and slightly off topic, and the response always seems to be “wow, huh,” and then on to more technical gear talk, LOL.

Tosin is really interesting to hear talk as someone from a younger generation who grew up on DT. His comments about LTE in particular are similar to how I felt when I first heard it.

Offline efx

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2023, 09:11:29 AM »
Funny thing about Devin, about 30 years ago I saw him with Steve Vai on the Sex and Religion tour and besides his vocals I was amazed by his guitar playing. He had bits in the show when him and Vai would duel a bit and he for sure held his own. I get that he is in a different space nowadays but I often think about that show every time I see him :)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2023, 09:15:11 AM »
Watched until I left work. Will finish it tomorrow.

Had to stop when Tosin is demonstrating and discussing his technique.

WHAT THE HELL IS HE DOING?! 

I’m sad John had settled into just doing the JP thing cause seeing whatever Tosin was doing was damn exciting, even if I don’t think I can listen to a whole album of that style. Also fun to see Devin and JP describe music so vastly differently. I wish I had the ability to relate to music the way Devin does.

Either way, super fascinating. Got bored at the gear talk, but that’s never been my thing.

Kaki King does some of that crazy tapping shit on acoustic too, I originally thought it was a delay also. Tosin is an absolute monster and really innovative on guitar.

I do wish they had Javier on as well because his playing is also incredibly interesting and chord voicings are bananas.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2023, 09:31:59 AM »
Finally got to watch all of this.

Very enjoyable.  Devin is so different.  A lot about his music makes more sense to me now.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2023, 09:56:54 AM »
Not to derail the thread but Devin also did a great 1:1 interview with Ola Englund a while back that is great. https://youtu.be/SUOG51i9D8M

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2023, 10:41:51 AM »

Very enjoyable.  Devin is so different.  A lot about his music makes more sense to me now.

Have you read his book? It will even make MORE sense after you read it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2023, 10:46:11 AM »

Actually, I liked DEVIN, through his book, before I came around on the music.   

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2023, 10:52:51 AM »
I liked the interview too, though I did have to roll my eyes when JP said something like, "I also use that technique on The Alien...<cough> which we won a Grammy for..."
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2023, 11:06:16 AM »

Agree 100% Hef. 

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2023, 11:10:45 AM »
I liked the interview too, though I did have to roll my eyes when JP said something like, "I also use that technique on The Alien...<cough> which we won a Grammy for..."

He gets to brag about that if we wants to. :lol And it came across as more of a joke to me than something stemming from insecurity or self-importance.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2023, 11:15:57 AM »

He gets to brag about that if we wants to. :lol And it came across as more of a joke to me than something stemming from insecurity or self-importance.

This is TOTAL speculation on my part, but I can actually see that being an in-joke of sorts; Devin's humor is such that I can see him making that a point of a joke.  "Oh, hello Mr. Grammy Winner" or something like that.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2023, 10:32:33 AM »

I have not. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2023, 02:12:52 PM »
Funny thing about Devin, about 30 years ago I saw him with Steve Vai on the Sex and Religion tour and besides his vocals I was amazed by his guitar playing. He had bits in the show when him and Vai would duel a bit and he for sure held his own. I get that he is in a different space nowadays but I often think about that show every time I see him :)

That's cool. I have to see if there is any footage of that. I didn't realize Townsend played guitar when he was working with Vai. I thought Townsend just handled the vocals.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline efx

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2023, 03:51:17 PM »
On record I'm sure it's all Vai but live he seemed to want this to be more of a band thing and in general it seems he never minds having additional guitarists on stage, even ones who are scary good like MacAlpine or Townsend etc :)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2023, 04:44:51 PM »

That's cool. I have to see if there is any footage of that. I didn't realize Townsend played guitar when he was working with Vai. I thought Townsend just handled the vocals.

I remember seeing them on A late night show. Probably,  Leno.  I was stunned hearing this young lead singer.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2023, 05:45:56 PM »

I remember seeing them on A late night show. Probably,  Leno.  I was stunned hearing this young lead singer.

Yep, Leno

https://youtu.be/e-ynEpNTcVQ

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2023, 05:59:37 PM »
Oh wow. Never seen that before. Very cool!

Thank you for the link!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2023, 05:02:54 PM »

Thank you for the link!

Google the stories around that; apparently he had a lot of angst about his performance.   I forget if that was when he crapped in Vai's guitar case, or if it was later...

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2023, 05:24:59 PM »

Thank you for the link!

Google the stories around that; apparently he had a lot of angst about his performance. I forget if that was when he crapped in Vai's guitar case, or if it was later...

That was a different show, but the Leno show has it's own story.

Backstage in the green room, Dev shoved a phone up his ass and a friend took a picture. Curious minds can find this picture pretty easily on Google. No way I'm posting it here  :lol

Apparently there was a hidden camera in the room. Dev got a call from Leno's management who, understandably, were very pissed.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2023, 08:52:24 PM »

Thank you for the link!

Google the stories around that; apparently he had a lot of angst about his performance. I forget if that was when he crapped in Vai's guitar case, or if it was later...

That was a different show, but the Leno show has it's own story.

Backstage in the green room, Dev shoved a phone up his ass and a friend took a picture. Curious minds can find this picture pretty easily on Google. No way I'm posting it here  :lol

Apparently there was a hidden camera in the room. Dev got a call from Leno's management who, understandably, were very pissed.

That's fucking nasty.

Anyway, I watched about 75% of that Beato interview. Very entertaining.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2023, 01:47:22 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvxUMvV8F3c

Also features Devin in a Wildhearts t-shirt... the one that had "demand the right to be unique" on it, which I wore to a Wildhearts gig where lots and lots of other people were wearing the same t-shirt demanding the right to be unique. Said t-shirt was tucked away discreetly afterwards and never worn again :laugh:

Anyway, it's a cracking interview Beato. Dev does look like he knows he's the odd one out, though!

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2023, 04:18:15 PM »
I enjoyed that, and have listened to and dug a couple of AAL albums off the back of it, too.

Funny how mood etc are so important. Have dipped into AAL a few times in the past but it hasn't caught me. Today I'm all over it.

The part where JP played a couple of parts felt a bit like the scene in that movie with Edge, Jack White and Jimmy Page where Jimmy played the Whole Lotta Love riff and the other two are just like kids. Not quite the same but a bunch of respect there.

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Kocak

« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2023, 10:40:11 AM »
This is like that documentary featuring Bono, Jack White and Jimmy Page - but a prog version.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2023, 10:46:32 AM »
(The Edge).