Author Topic: The outrage over "Try That In A Small Town" by Jason Aldean  (Read 5725 times)

Offline romdrums

Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: The outrage over "Try That In A Small Town" by Jason Aldean
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2023, 01:27:57 PM »
It once again goes back to the music video, which I think is the bigger issue than the song itself. As I said before, there’s a underlying theme of mob justice. “You do something we don’t like, me and the boys are gonna take care of you.” Not a direct quote but that’s the gist of the song, from my perspective. Rather harmless on its own, but then you look at the music video. Filmed at the steps of a courthouse where a black man was hung by a mob.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynching_of_Henry_Choate

Intentional or not, that sends a message that I think is the meaning of this “outrage”.
see, that brought the subtext directly into the text but, again, the song's already full of loaded language and racial signifiers even without the video. he says it's about "crime" but even a cursory glance of the lyrics will tell you what he really means

the song had been out for months by the time the video got posted, it's just that the video made people notice it. mostly unwillingly.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker

Offline Metro

• DTF.org Alumni
  • retired
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2023, 01:35:27 PM »
I agree, Crow

And as someone who grew up in a small town and has lived in the south their whole life, I know exactly the kind of person he’s talking about when he says “Good ol’ boys”, and there’s nothing Good about them.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2023, 01:37:31 PM »
Countless musicians calling women bitches and hoes is apparently just fine, as is Cardi B talking about her WAP, but this song is suddenly so offensive? 

A little weird, but what's wrong with a song about wireless application protocol?  (seriously, I have no idea)

Her Wet Ass Vajayjay

Yeah, after decades of women being denigrated in art, Cardi B took the narrative over and portrayed herself as a highly sexually active person and pearls were clutched all over the place.

So...kinda like Liz Phair did nearly 20 years ago when she implored her lover to "give me your hot, white cum" to use in her "secret beauty routine"?

Exactly like that... and think of all the male songs that have been explicit and borderline gross pedophilia (looking at you ted Nugent), especially during the hair metal years (sexy and 17, Cherry Pie, half of Motley Crue's discography, etc), and none of these, nor Liz Phair's draw the reaction among conservative white men like WAP does...wonder what the difference is  ::)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2023, 01:57:11 PM »

And as someone who grew up in a small town and has lived in the south their whole life, I know exactly the kind of person he’s talking about when he says “Good ol’ boys”, and there’s nothing Good about them.

Agreed.  I just think it's unfair to assume anyone from the south or a small town is a "good old boy," which happens far too often. 

Exactly like that... and think of all the male songs that have been explicit and borderline gross pedophilia (looking at you ted Nugent), especially during the hair metal years (sexy and 17, Cherry Pie, half of Motley Crue's discography, etc), and none of these, nor Liz Phair's draw the reaction among conservative white men like WAP does...wonder what the difference is  ::)

What does conservative or liberal have to do with this?  See: NOTHING.  And I haven't seen a single conservative white man criticize WAP in this thread (I am not conservative by any stretch of the imagination; I am not a slave to the ideology of any side or political party), but I guess it was only a matter of time before you or someone went that route with the last statement.  You being from SF makes so much sense now.  :lol :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2023, 02:04:50 PM »

What does conservative or liberal have to do with this?  See: NOTHING.  And I haven't seen a single conservative white man criticize WAP in this thread (I am not conservative by any stretch of the imagination; I am not a slave to the ideology of any side or political party), but I guess it was only a matter of time before you or someone went that route with the last statement.  You being from SF makes so much sense now.  :lol :lol

Not here, but all the conservative pages that are saying the libs are so outraged are drawing the comparison to Cardi's song specifically. Not to any other explicitly sexual song of the many written in the past. That specific song draws such ire, even you chose it out of the many songs to dab on in your op. Why?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2023, 02:13:48 PM »

Not here, but all the conservative pages that are saying the libs are so outraged are drawing the comparison to Cardi's song specifically. Not to any other explicitly sexual song of the many written in the past. That specific song draws such ire, even you chose it out of the many songs to dab on in your op. Why?

It seemed like the most obvious recent example because of how explicit it was and how much it was talked about.  I don't watch or read any liberal or conservative sites anymore, and I stopped watching CNN and Fox News years ago, so I wouldn't have seen it online or heard it talked about on TV.  I didn't even know about it until this morning when I heard some of the ladies in accounting talking about it (along with the Miranda Lambert story :lol).  Hell, I do not follow anything or anyone political-related on Twitter (I can give you my handle to look at whom I follow if you don't believe me).  I generally try to avoid any and all political talk anymore because of how toxic it is. This thread has quickly become a great example as to why.   

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2023, 02:15:35 PM »
This thread has quickly become a great example as to why.
...why did you start this thread, then? like serious question ???

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2023, 02:17:08 PM »
Really, the internet has allow people from all sides of life, to say things with no worry of consequences.  Growing up before the internet seems so much simpler. Old man, ramblings.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2023, 02:20:39 PM »

It seemed like the most obvious recent example because of how explicit it was and how much it was talked about.  I don't watch or read any liberal or conservative sites anymore, and I stopped watching CNN and Fox News years ago, so I wouldn't have seen it online or heard it talked about on TV.  I didn't even know about it until this morning when I heard some of the ladies in accounting talking about it (along with the Miranda Lambert story :lol).  Hell, I do not follow anything or anyone political-related on Twitter (I can give you my handle to look at whom I follow if you don't believe me).  I generally try to avoid any and all political talk anymore because of how toxic it is. This thread has quickly become a great example as to why.

True... but it has, that song specifically have become such massive targets, whenever any discussion of the downfall of good old american culture and the lack of God in our country comes up in those circles, WAP gets spit out eventually as the prime examply. and btw, I wasn't insinuating that anyone here was being racist, I would never explicitly do that, I know you all too well, and if it came off like that I apologize. But there are definitely racist/misogynistic tones to WAP being such a lightning rod (same with how Lizzo gets dragged by the same element constantly).

I have no skin in the game tbh, I could live without either artist.

And finally, I'm a UC Berkeley liberal, we're much worse than SF liberals. :metal

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2023, 02:29:49 PM »

True... but it has, that song specifically have become such massive targets, whenever any discussion of the downfall of good old american culture and the lack of God in our country comes up in those circles, WAP gets spit out eventually as the prime examply. and btw, I wasn't insinuating that anyone here was being racist, I would never explicitly do that, I know you all too well, and if it came off like that I apologize. But there are definitely racist/misogynistic tones to WAP being such a lightning rod (same with how Lizzo gets dragged by the same element constantly).

And finally, I'm a UC Berkeley liberal, we're much worse than SF liberals. :metal

hahaha to the last part.  :tup :tup

No worries, and don't get me started on the lack of God and all that... (I am sure we'd be in agreement there at this point in my life).  I think the lack of family values is a much bigger issue, but that is a whole other story.

I think the problem with the WAP talk is once certain persons get talking about, you get lumped in with them if you just happened to say something similar at all.  To delve a bit into P/R territory, same thing with abortion. It makes me roll my eyes big time when some pro-life people think anyone not totally against any and all abortions thinks, "Oh, you must be in favor of third trimester abortions, you baby killer!"  Ugh.  But I digress...

Edit: pro-life people (I knew I typed that wrong lol)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2023, 02:37:48 PM by KevShmev »

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2023, 02:42:32 PM »
To delve a bit into P/R territory, same thing with abortion. It makes me roll my eyes big time when some pro-life people think anyone not totally against any and all abortions thinks, "Oh, you must be in favor of third trimester abortions, you baby killer!"  Ugh.  But I digress...

Like we aren't neck deep in P/R territory already  :rollin

Offline jammindude

« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2023, 02:55:28 PM »
Ah yes. “We need more clean morals and Godly families. This is the sort of good, clean, wholesome things I want my daughter to hear…”

https://youtu.be/vYMvKqWuEkA

(Just blowing a raspberry…don’t take it too seriously)

:rollin :rollin :rollin
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Pappy

« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2023, 03:04:28 PM »
Guns, racism, all the hot points aside. Something that I find humorous is  is Jason Aldean has never once lived in a small town. A song about rural vs urban life he's always lived in the urban areas. Now I know he didn't write the song so it's not like he's singing about his experiences living in that small town.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2023, 03:09:21 PM »
Guns, racism, all the hot points aside. Something that I find humorous is  is Jason Aldean has never once lived in a small town. A song about rural vs urban life he's always lived in the urban areas. Now I know he didn't write the song so it's not like he's singing about his experiences living in that small town.

Maybe I am just used to listening to artists who write their own songs, but that didn't even occur to me. Seems like his defense should have been, "I didn't write the song; take it up with the 11 people who did." :P :lol

Offline romdrums

« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2023, 03:13:57 PM »

Oh, he's "Pandering" for sure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7im5LT09a0
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2023, 03:26:57 PM »

Oh, he's "Pandering" for sure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7im5LT09a0

:rollin

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2023, 03:50:49 PM »
Watched the video.

It's....meh. It's not racist or whatever. It's just childish and basically just "You think you're tough? Try that here mofo!" nonsense. Also, Pappy is right. This was written by four people, none of whom are named Jason Aldean.

It's some conservatives calling out liberals. Like we need more of that.

Also, what outrage? I'll admit I'm not on twitter, but I haven't heard anything about this other than this thread.

I see no reason to be outraged. It's a meh song of a dude trying to sound tough.  Music is littered with a billion of these.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2023, 04:03:31 PM »

And of course, part of it is not the hypocrisy that is so much fun and so easy to point out, but rather the questioning of the concept of "ownership".  I never quite got that concept of "hmm, it's bad, but we'll say it so we 'own' it".  Okay.  It's just another thing to fight about.  Ownership is not letting it bother you, not "throwing it in someone's face as if they're actually going to learn something".   They never quite do, and you'd think we'd have learned that by now.

Plus, "WAP" is just as stupid as "Rocket Ride".  If you have to tell someone how wet your pussy is/how big your cock is, it probably isn't; we'd already know if it was.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2023, 04:04:43 PM »

hahaha to the last part.  :tup :tup

No worries, and don't get me started on the lack of God and all that... (I am sure we'd be in agreement there at this point in my life).  I think the lack of family values is a much bigger issue, but that is a whole other story.

I think the problem with the WAP talk is once certain persons get talking about, you get lumped in with them if you just happened to say something similar at all.  To delve a bit into P/R territory, same thing with abortion. It makes me roll my eyes big time when some pro-life people think anyone not totally against any and all abortions thinks, "Oh, you must be in favor of third trimester abortions, you baby killer!"  Ugh.  But I digress...

Preach, brother, preach.  I get accused like that almost weekly. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2023, 04:07:39 PM »
I'm more outraged that a country music song is getting so heavily discussed on a prog metal bands forum!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2023, 04:21:43 PM »
I'm more outraged that a country music song is getting so heavily discussed on a prog metal bands forum!

:rollin :rollin :rollin
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Skeever

« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2023, 04:51:25 PM »
Watched the video.

It's....meh. It's not racist or whatever. It's just childish and basically just "You think you're tough? Try that here mofo!" nonsense. Also, Pappy is right. This was written by four people, none of whom are named Jason Aldean.

Also, what outrage? I'll admit I'm not on twitter, but I haven't heard anything about this other than this thread.

I see no reason to be outraged. It's a meh song of a dude trying to sound tough.  Music is littered with a billion of these.

Being canceled is like part of the marketing campaign for what is typically right of center entertainment in America these days. The libs don't actually need to be triggered, but it needs to be convincing enough that they are to play with a certain person who has not stopped watching nightly political news since the 2016 election. Same thing is going on with faith based films, comedy, etc...

I've heard it called a persecution complex. If the Aldean song isn't racist, it's certainly seems to be trending in that persecution complex direction, as a lot of country songs are. The message I read from it all is "I guess we're not accepted by you fucked up godless people anymore". Doesn't matter if it's true or not, just needs to feel convincing enough to fire people up.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2023, 05:37:06 PM »
Watched the video.

It's....meh. It's not racist or whatever. It's just childish and basically just "You think you're tough? Try that here mofo!" nonsense.
Also, Pappy is right. This was written by four people, none of whom are named Jason Aldean.

After seeing the video, that is my impression as well.  It reeked of "oh yeah, you think you're tough?  Try that with me."   It's wanna-be tough guy crap; it's more laughable than offensive.  And the song was bland as hell. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2023, 06:31:12 PM »
Watched the video.

Being canceled is like part of the marketing campaign for what is typically right of center entertainment in America these days. The libs don't actually need to be triggered, but it needs to be convincing enough that they are to play with a certain person who has not stopped watching nightly political news since the 2016 election. Same thing is going on with faith based films, comedy, etc...

I've heard it called a persecution complex. If the Aldean song isn't racist, it's certainly seems to be trending in that persecution complex direction, as a lot of country songs are. The message I read from it all is "I guess we're not accepted by you fucked up godless people anymore". Doesn't matter if it's true or not, just needs to feel convincing enough to fire people up.

That's the essence of what I call the systemic insecurity that I feel is behind a lot of our divisiveness.  Everything has to be a "fuck you".  Everything has to be a fight.   It's not about fitting in, or tolerance, it's about creating walls for "our in group".  I like your words better - the persecution complex" - but it's all the same.   None of it is really about feeling good about oneself and living in harmony with those that see the world from a different direction.  It's about "owning" those that don't give you what you feel is the adequate amount of "respect" (whether you've earned it or not).

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2023, 07:39:12 PM »

the sad thing is it really isn't surprising, jason aldean is a known racist and bigot (he got caught doing blackface a decade ago and just last year made a ton of transphobic comments in response to maren morris standing up for trans rights) but because he owns his own label it's hard to hold him accountable

I don't know Jason Aldean from a hole in the wall. Wearing blackface does not make one a racist and having a twitter beef with another person I've never heard of doesn't make one a bigot. I mean, what if I want to go to a Halloween party as a Jamaican reggae dude, and darken my skin as part of the costume? Does that make me racist? Fuck that.

Also, if I understand this right, his wife made some sort of post about her tom-boy phase and thanking her parents for not changing her sex. Kind of dumb and uncalled for, but she got called out and then some, to a degree that I thought was a bit over the top. Sounds like Cassidy Pope blew the thing up in the first place, and then Marren chimed in.

----------------------------------

And to answer the OP..
Are there racist dog whistles in this song? Aldean says there aren't. Maybe there are and he doesn't know it. I'm not judging him and I don't think anyone can. I have no problem with hip hop dudes singing about life in the 'hood, with guns and drugs and shit, and I have no problem with Aldean singing about his small town good ol boy-isms.

People need to fucking chill. Turn the fucking channel.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2023, 08:06:13 PM »
Great posts, Bill and Tim.  :tup :tup

Nowadays, many will automatically deem you -phobic if you do not agree with EVERYTHING a marginalized group wants.  (and I am talking about normal people, not halfwit politicians with axes to grind politically)   "You agree with 99 things out of the 100 we want? Not enough. That one is unacceptable, therefore you are "insert word"-phobic!!"  You can set your watch to it. 

If blackface makes one racist, then someone alert the media about Jimmy Kimmel. (and while I don't watch Kimmel, his years-long fake feud with Matt Damon is awesome, so I am glad he has stuck around)

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2023, 08:10:06 PM »
Nowadays, many will automatically deem you -phobic if you do not agree with EVERYTHING a marginalized group wants.  (and I am talking about normal people, not halfwit politicians with axes to grind politically)   "You agree with 99 things out of the 100 we want? Not enough. That one is unacceptable, therefore you are "insert word"-phobic!!"  You can set your watch to it. 

And they will ironically say "oh you got big feelings today aw look at that" if you dare disagree or question anything. It's almost like everyone perceives the world differently and we should just try to find common ground. I swear the point of politics is to keep us divided.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2023, 08:09:14 AM »
I just got an ad promoting his tour, and I blame this thread.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2023, 08:27:24 AM »
I just got an ad promoting his tour, and I blame this thread.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2023, 08:48:41 AM »
So I’ll admit I’m not on Twitter at all, so maybe there’s a ton I’m missing there, but the only “outrage” I’ve seen on my social media are from my conservative friends who are angry at the outrage. I asked my wife who has a huge Twitter presence and is as left as it gets and she had barely heard anything about this and only knew that the video was filmed where there was a lynching. She didn’t seem to have many strong emotions about it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2023, 09:03:18 AM »
So I’ll admit I’m not on Twitter at all, so maybe there’s a ton I’m missing there, but the only “outrage” I’ve seen on my social media are from my conservative friends who are angry at the outrage. I asked my wife who has a huge Twitter presence and is as left as it gets and she had barely heard anything about this and only knew that the video was filmed where there was a lynching. She didn’t seem to have many strong emotions about it.

I saw a small bit of outrage on Tik Tok, that's about it. Most of it I've see is conservatives talking about the left being triggered blah blah.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #68 on: July 22, 2023, 09:15:17 AM »
Yeah I’m obviously not on any social media and other than a couple of stories, I’m not really seeing it.

I honestly don’t care what the random person tweets or tiktoks. It’s just an opinion. And while I think there’s value in calling something out if need be, it just seems like we’ve devolved into a “gotcha” society. Other than having a conversation, I don’t know why people need to publish their opinions on every fucking thing. Everyone has to make a …statement.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2023, 09:31:58 AM »

AND

I saw a small bit of outrage on Tik Tok, that's about it. Most of it I've see is conservatives talking about the left being triggered blah blah.

C'mon.  Whether it's on Twitter or Tic Toc Toe or Backgammon, this didn't just come out of nowhere.  There IS outrage.  I'm with TAC, in that "just turn the fucking channel already"; this is like Barbara Streisand not wanting anyone to see her property and because she bitched about it, EVERYONE knows where her property is (google it).   Just let it GO. (Not for nothing, but the song went to number one in the wake of the controversy; well done!)

It's not about the song, it's about the VIDEO, and the people that chose the site have repeatedly and expressly said there's no message there.  The site itself is actually commonly used as backdrops and settings.   

When you unnecessarily blow something up to be bigger than it is, that is outrage.  You may not call Maren Morris or Cassidy Pope "outrage", but that's what it is.  You may not call Sheryl "Hypocrite" Crowe making this an issue "outrage", but that's what it is.   You may not call Country Music Television taking that video off the air "outrage", but that's what it is.   

From my perspective, the whole notion of "dog whistle" couldn't' die fast enough.   EVERYTHING is a "dog whistle" if you listen hard enough, and honestly, so what if it is?  Funny, just like the "outrage" isn't outrage when you agree with it, the "dog whistle" is only a "dog whistle" when you disagree with it.