Author Topic: YYNOT - new album, "Resonance" (for fans of, well, Rush)  (Read 6244 times)

Online DTA

Re: YYNOT - new album, "Resonance" (for fans of, well, Rush)
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2022, 05:29:49 AM »
Really wish I could find their latest album for legal download somewhere. I'm surprised it's not made its way onto Amazon or Bandcamp.
You can buy it directly from their official website. https://www.yynotband.com/discography

What am I missing? I only see Resonance and the debut for download. They have the Light And Shade cd in the store for 30 bucks but that's a bit extreme for me.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2022, 06:47:45 PM »
Really wish I could find their latest album for legal download somewhere. I'm surprised it's not made its way onto Amazon or Bandcamp.
You can buy it directly from their official website. https://www.yynotband.com/discography

What am I missing? I only see Resonance and the debut for download. They have the Light And Shade cd in the store for 30 bucks but that's a bit extreme for me.
:facepalm: I completely forgot about that. I had listened to the single from it and then never followed up with it. When was it released?
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline pg1067

« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2022, 07:44:13 PM »
I've heard a handful of the Rush covers from this past weekend's shows.  Patty did well, but she struggled a bit on the highest notes on CXI - The Voyage.  Rocky NEVER struggled to hit any of the highest notes.  In fact, it was the effortlessness with which she hit those notes that first drew me to YYNOT.  I've only heard one of the original numbers (Another Trip Around the Sun).  Seemed pretty good.  They only did a handful of originals, and I assume that was a result of Patty being relatively familiar with the Rush material and not having enough time to learn more than a few originals.  No problem with that.  We'll see what the setlist looks like at the next show in February.  And then it remains to be seen if Patty will be the permanent new singer.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2022, 03:35:21 PM »
Well...this is an interesting development:

"'Mood Lifters - A Tribute to Rush' is super pleased to announce that Rocky Kuner has joined our band as lead vocalist!  Rocky is well known to the Rush community as a true master at delivering powerful vocal renditions of Rush's deep catalogue, and she delivers every song with great enthusiasm, authenticity and energy.  We can't wait to take the stage with Rocky at our next show on July 16, 2022, in Simi Valley, CA (see our event posting for details).  We look forward to many shows with Rocky this year and beyond!  Please join us in welcoming Rocky below, and now it is time to get out there and rock, and roll the bones!!!"

I know nothing about this band and, given the name, assume they are nothing but a tribute band, but I may have to check this out if they book some shows a bit more convenient for me.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2022, 03:46:00 PM »
That makes me wonder why she left YYNOT.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2022, 04:02:38 PM »
That makes me wonder why she left YYNOT.

I've seen a bunch of stuff posted on Facebook.  The initial announcement made by the band was they had parted ways amicably.  Then I started seeing stuff on Rocky's mother's FB feed about how Billy is dictatorial and there was some sort of dispute about him making all the decisions while the band members are all expected to pay an equal share of expenses.  There was also a bunch of stuff about Rocky or one of her family members having hacked into the band's FB account and they aren't able to remove her because she has admin privileges.  It all sounded like a bunch of childishness, and the band has, for the most part, taken the high ground.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2022, 03:18:09 PM »

Looks like their latest album is finally available on streaming services.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline pg1067

« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2022, 10:16:14 AM »
Going to see YYNOT tomorrow for the first time with Patty Pershayla on lead vocals.  Can't wait!

For those of you in the NYC/Philly area, they have several shows coming up between Oct. 6-16 in West Chester and Jim Thorpe, PA; Atlantic City, NJ; and Horseheads, NY and NYC.  They'll also be in Des Plaines, IL on Nov. 4.  https://www.yynotband.com/shows-1

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2022, 04:23:40 AM »

Looks like their latest album is finally available on streaming services.

Yeah, finally got to hear it. Pretty good. I love this band.

Online DTA

« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2022, 07:42:04 AM »
I finally downloaded Light And Shade and listened a few times. It feels a bit disjointed and almost haphazardly thrown together at times, though there’s enough good stuff going on that it’s still a worthwhile listen. Wire And Wood might be the most pointless instrumental I’ve ever heard and Rocky’s voice (which I do love) sounds a bit too clean and out of place on here where it didn’t feel that way on their previous albums. I wonder if that’s why she’s not in the band anymore as it’s a common criticism I’ve seen in some reviews.

I’d rate it a 3.5/5

Offline pg1067

« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2022, 04:14:15 PM »
I can't disagree that Light and Shade was a drop from the prior two albums and also agree about Wire and Wood (honestly, I'm not super in love with any of their instrumentals).

Rocky leaving was almost entirely personality driven.  Billy has a bit of a reputation as a control freak, and Tim just goes with the flow.  Rocky got a lot of advice from her mother who, from all accounts, is a bit of a nut.

All that said, the show last night was FANTASTIC!  Billy, Tim and Mike were as tight as usual, and Patty was absolutely on fire.  I had some concerns from some of the videos I'd seen, but she nailed the Rush songs and the originals, and her stage presence was super strong.  She seemed to have a better rapport with the rest of the band than Rocky ever did.  It really makes me look forward to the next album.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2023, 02:20:17 PM »
And we have another vocalist change.  Per a FB post this morning:

"Howdy Campers!
We would like to wish Patty well and thank her for the kick ass rock and roll, chicken flingin, and on and off stage shennagins. As Patty 'exits stage left' after this weekend, we are pleased to announce Adi Argelazi will be 'assuming control' of the microphone starting 6/29 in California.
Please give Adi a HUGE Nothead welcome!"

Billy Alexander posted this afternoon:

"I'd like to personally thank Patty for her time in YYNOT. Let me just say; she was one of the most professional musicians I've ever had the pleasure of working with. A fabulous person as much as musician. I'm going to miss rocking with her onstage, hanging out after shows at the late night diners and of course watching her tolerate my endless "Dad jokes" 😉 Saturday night is going to be bitter/sweet. We love you Patty and we support you in anything and everything you do going forward. Much Love,"

In response to a fan request for some explanation:  "We LOVE Patty, and would never want to speak for her but she's very busy with her own band and is focusing on that. And we support her. She will be sorely missed. Her last show with us will be this Saturday. So we all get a chance to say farewell and end on a high note (pun intended 😉"

It certainly sounds amicable.  YYNOT is playing on Saturday, in Michigan, with Patty, and I think it's really interesting that they announced this ahead of the show.  I'll be at the first show with the new singer and will dutifully report.

Offline Buckeye69

« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2023, 05:02:59 PM »
I'm going to Patty's last show Saturday.  This will be my 3rd time seeing them with her.  She was a good one!  Looking forward to seeing them with Adi at some point.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2023, 05:57:54 PM »
Interesting, I've never heard of Adi Argelazi. Can't wait to hear how she sounds with the band.

I know Patty will be missed, she was awesome! Although I think I liked Rocky a little better.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline pg1067

« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2023, 10:25:45 AM »
The fanbase warmed up to Patty pretty quickly.  I was skeptical after seeing some video from her first show, but she NAILED it at the show I saw with her.  At the end of the day, Rocky is still the only singer to have recorded albums with the band.  We'll see if they release something with Adi.

From what I've gathered, Adi is Israeli born and grew up on a kibbutz.  The few snippets of music I've heard are fairly different from what the photo I posted suggests.  In addition to singing, she plays flute and clarinet (maybe they'll add Madrigal to the set, with Adi doing the synth part on flute  :lol ).  Her voice sounds great though.  We'll know in about six weeks.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2023, 10:42:50 AM »
A week late with this...

I saw YYNOT last Thursday with the new singer, Adi Argelazi.  If you're not a fan of YYNOT, check them out.  If you already know the band, I'll skip right to the specifics.  They played 23 songs (including a short drum solo and the By-Tor medley).  Fortunately for Rush fans (and unfortunately for those of us who really like the band's original material), there were only four originals in the set (I'd prefer something closer to a 50/50 mix, but more Rush is never a bad thing).

I've since read that Adi was unfamiliar with both the Rush material and the originals before being tabbed for the gig.  Given that she only had a little over a month to learn the material, Adi did really well.  I chuckled when she missed her cue to come in on the opening number (Freewill), but she recovered nicely.  She also made a few other lyrical goofs that a person not familiar with the lyrics probably wouldn't have caught.  Adi has easily the most powerful voice of the three YYNOT vocalists.  She has a bit of a rasp when she wants it, and she can hit some of the lower notes more easily than Rocky could.  Her accent comes out in her singing, which I don't mind, but I think some folks might not like.  Not much between songs stage presence (mostly just "thank you"), but I assume that will change as she gets more comfortable.  They did two other SoCal shows on Friday and Saturday, but I haven't watched any video to see if anything changed.

One amusing moment happened at the end of the set.  Billy Alexander's amp cut out about halfway through the final song (What You're Doing), so he ended up finishing the song using his acoustic guitar, which was running direct through the PA.  He took it in stride.

I'll be seeing them again later this month at a small record store gig, which should be fun.

Last, they're apparently doing another Bubba Bash in 2024.

Online DTA

« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2023, 11:27:41 AM »
I also think they’re short-changing themselves by doing so little of their original material. I get that most fans are there for the Rush stuff, but I think they could be a bit more generous with their own music.

Patti will be hard to beat as I think she was absolutely perfect for the job, so I’ll be on the lookout for good YouTube videos with Adi singing.

One day I’ll make it to an east coast show as I’m dying to see these guys live.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2023, 03:24:23 PM »
I also think they’re short-changing themselves by doing so little of their original material. I get that most fans are there for the Rush stuff, but I think they could be a bit more generous with their own music.

I don't know, but I've heard this may have something to do with their booking contracts.  The venues book them as a "tribute band" and market the shows as such, so they don't want them doing a significant percentage of originals.  I've seen them five times now.  Four of the shows have had between 4-8 originals, but one was an even 11-11 split.  I'm thinking we may get a good chunk of originals at the record show store later this month.

One day I’ll make it to an east coast show as I’m dying to see these guys live.

Not sure where you are, but they have shows in CT and PA on August 18 and 19 (and I imagine they may try to book a few others around that time).

Offline pg1067

« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2023, 03:51:04 PM »
Saw Rocky Kuner's "new" band, Mood Lifters, play as part of an all-female fronted tribute band show last night.  Relatively short set, but it was a lot of fun.  And, damn, she absolutely OWNS No One at the Bridge.  https://www.facebook.com/reel/606107948284349

Offline pg1067

« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2023, 09:34:43 PM »
I went and saw YYNOT last night at a little record store in Orange, CA.  They had moved all of the record display racks to the edges of the store, set up a drum riser and amps and a PA and about 100 folding chairs.  It was awesome seeing them in a small venue.  They were tight as ever, and Adi (pronounced ah-DEE) had obviously been studying up and had no misses with the lyrics.  Before the show, my friend and I were having dinner at Islands across the way in the same shopping center.  The band came in to pick up some food, so we got a pic with 3/4 of them.  Below the photo is a link to my video of No One at the Bridge.

https://www.facebook.com/1250126515/videos/268074855937302/

Tonight, the band is playing in a proper theater in Monterey, CA, and tomorrow they'll be playing at the same theater where Yes recorded the Keys live material.