Author Topic: Another Time, Another Place - 1995 concert from Tokyo  (Read 661 times)

Online HOF

Another Time, Another Place - 1995 concert from Tokyo
« on: July 19, 2023, 10:59:20 PM »
Just stumbled on this on YouTube and didn't see it mentioned anywhere. DT have uploaded this concert to streaming services as of a couple weeks ago (it's on the band's YouTube and Amazon, but not Spotify)? Or maybe it's been around for longer. Never heard of it before but it looks like it might have been an unofficial bootleg originally. Anyway, listening to it now and it seems like a cool show. Not sure if it's the same one that was filmed for Japanese TV and showed up on Five Years in a LiveTime?

Can't find an easy link to the whole playlist (YouTube is weird), but here is Lifting Shadows Off a Dream with a cool extended instrumental sequence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iMPifZu2UA

Offline Setlist Scotty

Re: Another Time, Another Place - 1995 concert from Tokyo
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2023, 11:22:18 PM »
The instrumental following LSOaD is known as the Awake Jam. Not sure which show this is taken from, but it's either January 23 or 24, 1995. I remember that JM's bass sounded like clopping of a horse down the street, and I'm not hearing that (tho I'm listening to it at low volume since it's late at night), so I'm prone to guess it's the 23rd, even tho the over art says it's the 24th.

Either way, it looks like the band or someone in their organization is trying to do a "beat the boots" thing like Zappa did several decades ago. Shame they're using tacky cover art (especially the logo), but oh well.  :P

edit: I just compared the comments after TtT from both shows, and that bootleg on YouTube is from the WoWoW broadcast on January 24, which was also featued on the 5YiaL video.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 11:32:56 PM by Setlist Scotty »
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online HOF

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2023, 08:48:16 AM »
The instrumental following LSOaD is known as the Awake Jam. Not sure which show this is taken from, but it's either January 23 or 24, 1995. I remember that JM's bass sounded like clopping of a horse down the street, and I'm not hearing that (tho I'm listening to it at low volume since it's late at night), so I'm prone to guess it's the 23rd, even tho the over art says it's the 24th.

Either way, it looks like the band or someone in their organization is trying to do a "beat the boots" thing like Zappa did several decades ago. Shame they're using tacky cover art (especially the logo), but oh well.  :P

edit: I just compared the comments after TtT from both shows, and that bootleg on YouTube is from the WoWoW broadcast on January 24, which was also featued on the 5YiaL video.

I thought the cover was cool. Not sure if the band did it though. It looks like someone put some of this show out on vinyl last year according to this Discogs entry:

https://www.discogs.com/release/25923847-Dream-Theater-Another-Time-Another-Place

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2023, 04:26:20 PM »
It's been ages since I watched this. I don't recall it being very special. Think I remember reading the band was still shaken up after experiencing an earthquake a few days before. There weren't many pro shot Dream Theater shows from this period.  This might be the only one. So it's worth it for that alone. I can recall if this show was before or after the food poisoning incident. Getting old sucks.

Online HOF

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2023, 09:40:54 PM »
It's been ages since I watched this. I don't recall it being very special. Think I remember reading the band was still shaken up after experiencing an earthquake a few days before. There weren't many pro shot Dream Theater shows from this period.  This might be the only one. So it's worth it for that alone. I can recall if this show was before or after the food poisoning incident. Getting old sucks.

It was just after the food poisoning (I was just reading Lifting Shadows on this the other night. James had been advised to rest his voice for six months to a year, but they had the Japanese tour booked already). The earthquake was a few days before this show. You can hear them acknowledge the earthquake during the show.