1 (33.3%)
Delusion Rain
0 (0%)
Lies And Butterflies
1 (33.3%)
Redemption
1 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: The Official MYSTERY Thread v. Redemption (May 2023)  (Read 926 times)

Offline The Letter M

The Official MYSTERY Thread v. Redemption (May 2023)
« on: July 17, 2023, 02:57:05 PM »
So I've searched this forum's past 15 pages and used the search function, but I did not see a dedicated thread for this Canadian band. I've had them on my distant radar before over the past decade or so, but I've never really sat down and given them a fair listen, but today on a whim, I've decided to check out their most recent album, 2023's Redemption, and I *really* liked what I've been hearing.

So much so that I went ahead and bought all eight of their albums to try and get to know the band better. So consider this my official deep dive into a "new to me" band, which doesn't happen TOO too often (others in recent years have been bands like Wobbler and IZZ).

I've added the poll to see what existing Mystery fans feel are their most favorite albums of the band's discography. I guess I'm lucky they only have eight albums so far, so it doesn't feel very daunting to dive into their catalog, especially considering that they've been around since 1986 and have been releasing music for over 30 years now. I guess having a nine-year-gap after their second album probably didn't help. :lol

Today, I've specifically been listening through their three most recent albums, with lead vocals by Jean Pageau, and I think he sounds pretty good! I'm already kind of familiar with Benoit David (from his time in Yes), so unless his vocals are drastically different in Mystery, I think I know what to expect when it comes to listening to his albums with this band.

Anyways, once I start getting the CDs and diving into their catalog, I'll try to come back here and post some thoughts, but I'd love to read what others here think about them!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: The Official MYSTERY Thread v. Redemption (May 2023)
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2023, 02:59:32 PM »
Just the last two for me, but they're excellent. Jingle got me into them when he sent me a song from Lies and Butterflies in one of my roulettes, and I don't think I even loved it that much but I checked out the album and loved that so it was all good. Tried a couple of earlier albums but they didn't hit the spot in the same way, but happily the new album is great as well so they're on a good run at the moment!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2023, 03:28:00 PM »
Love the new album and seeing them again at Progstock I. October.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2023, 03:14:10 PM »
Just the last two for me, but they're excellent. Jingle got me into them when he sent me a song from Lies and Butterflies in one of my roulettes, and I don't think I even loved it that much but I checked out the album and loved that so it was all good. Tried a couple of earlier albums but they didn't hit the spot in the same way, but happily the new album is great as well so they're on a good run at the moment!

It's been nearly a couple of weeks since I began this "deep dive" into Mystery's discography, I've really grown to like both Benoit David and Jean Pageau as vocalists. The Gary Savoie era (debut EP and first two studio albums) are pretty alright, but they're very AOR-inspired, a bit of Styx/Journey sounding, but there were some good proggy elements within those songs.

I think, so far, my favorite albums might be One Among The Living, Delusion Rain, and Redemption, though the other David and Pageau albums are growing on me.

Love the new album and seeing them again at Progstock I. October.

Nice! Yeah, the new album is really good, especially the closing epic "Is This How The Story Ends?"

While it's still very early days in my discovery of this band, they're really growing on me as I listen to them every day. I've gone ahead and ordered the rest of their albums that I didn't have (either in possession or on order), which is their live CDs and concert videos. I'm excited to see/hear how they work as a live band!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline HOF

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2023, 04:03:46 PM »
I’ll have to check out more than just The World Is A Game. I know they’ve had multiple singers. How do the others compare to Benoit David (who I quite liked)?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2023, 04:39:13 PM »
Only one and Jean is awesome.   What a voice.  Check out their last 3 studio albums with him singing. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2023, 05:31:29 PM »
Only one and Jean is awesome.   What a voice.  Check out their last 3 studio albums with him singing.

As a new fan, I'd agree - Jean Pageau and the band's last three albums are as good as the three they did with Benoit David. The first couple of releases are OK, vocally speaking, and like I said above, there's a big AOR influence with some Journey/Styx sounding vocals from founding member Gary Savoie, but the music feels elevated with Benoit and Jean.

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2023, 02:26:17 PM »
Out of curiosity, does anyone have a copy of their album Lies And Butterflies that they want to sell? Apparently it's the ONLY ONE of theirs that isn't in stock online ANYWHERE, and I've bought everything else they have except this. I don't have any good music shops near me either that might happen to carry Mystery albums, so not worth checking any out.

As far as my Mystery journey, I've been focusing on the Gary Savoie albums this week - their debut EP and first two full-length studio albums - and I've been enjoying them quite a bit! As I've said previously, they're inspired a lot of Steve Perry/Journey and the AOR 80s movement, and the music itself sounds a bit dated to the late 80s/early 90s, and some of the heavier parts even remind me early Dream Theater as well. They definitely got better as they went along, as Destiny? a bit better than Theatre Of The Mind, but both have some good and strong songs.

I'll probably start focusing on the Benoit David era starting this weekend, but from what I've heard of them before this week, I think the band definitely got better and better with each new album.

-Marc.