News:

The staff at DTF wish to remind you all that a firm grasp of the rules of Yahtzee can save your life and the lives of your loved ones.  Be safe out there.

Main Menu

Welcome To Jamesman, Again! (this is a roulette) - And the winner is............

Started by Jamesman42, July 13, 2023, 12:03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twosuitsluke

Quote from: 425 on August 12, 2023, 09:04:31 AM
I agree that Love Murder One could possibly go. I'd also rank The Liars Club at the bottom for the album, but I'm clearly in the minority there. I like Our Love quite a bit, so I wouldn't want to lose it.

That said, I think it's an excellent album as-is and if it was up to me I probably wouldn't cut anything.

To think anyone likes Our Love more than The Liars Club is unfathomable to me. But, then I know I have plenty of musical hot takes so I should just shut up.

I did just spin Queen of the Dark and it's not as bad as I made out. It's not one of the worst songs they ever released, I admit I over exaggerated. It still ranks in the bottom half of their discography for me though, maybe even bottom quarter.
Quote from: ariich on November 07, 2023, 12:38:53 PMJust popping in to say Luke, you were right.

Liars Club is one of those songs where I get what they're going for and I get why people like it, but it somehow just doesn't work for me.

Conversely, I can see why someone would think Our Love is just a typical ballad with nothing special about it, but something about the "Won't surrender to the odds up against us . . . But there's something about this" part that really works for me.

Lonk

I had a long drive yesterday and listened to both albums, Vaxis I and II. Both are great albums, and while II has what I consider Coheed's greatest song (which I'll probably use for a future round), Vaxis I feels more coherent and complete.

ariich

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
Quote from: TAC on December 21, 2023, 06:05:15 AMI be am boner inducing.

LithoJazzoSphere

Or possibly Puppies trying to beat Crow to the punch this time. 

Crow

LithoJazzoSphere

King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

aka Puppies_On_Acid
Quote from: Evermind on May 06, 2024, 07:39:06 AMHey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Quote from: HOF on April 02, 2024, 07:30:16 AMDerek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not KingThes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Crow

i mean, i did send gunship, so, if it isn't my submission then i guess i didn't submit for this round?  :lol

Quote from: Crow on August 12, 2023, 03:16:27 PM
i mean, i did send gunship, so, if it isn't my submission then i guess i didn't submit for this round?  :lol
It's definitely yours. I had something else in mind for this round. It will probably do terrible, but c'est la vie...
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Quote from: Evermind on May 06, 2024, 07:39:06 AMHey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Quote from: HOF on April 02, 2024, 07:30:16 AMDerek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not KingThes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Jamesman42

Let's end hangman today, I'll be back on in a few hours and then I will have first impressions.
\o\ lol /o/

Jamesman42

Round 4 Results

Crow: Gunship – Dark All Day
Puppies: Messa – Leah
lonestar: Orphaned Land – The Cave
TAC: Lost Domain – Silent Cry
Ariich: Actor | Observer – In Your Ways
Evermind: Seventh Wonder – Beyond Today (Farewell Pt. 3)
Vmadera: Coheed and Cambria – The Dark Sentencer
Sacul: George Clanton – Make It Forever
BuddyHunter1: Vola – Applause of a Distant Crowd
twosuitsluke: Frank Turner – Don't Worry
Litho: Amorphis – Amongst Stars
Romdrums: Skyharbor – Ugly Heart
jingle.boy: Ostura – Darker Shade of Black
ReaperKK: A Perfect Circle – Delicious
\o\ lol /o/

Jamesman42

Round 4 first impressions! (these were typed on my phone)

ReaperKK: I know two songs by this band from the 2000s and it's really cool to hear how it sounds it could come from that time. It has a more hopeful feel in the beginning than the two songs I know.
Puppies: Very open and grindy. Slow pace to start and picks up in the last 2 minutes after a nice guitar solo.
Crow: Interesting blend of styles. The first thing I get is a sort of modern goth vibe with slight jazz. Not sure genre this would go under.
Buddyhunter1: That's keyboard in the intro I believe, it's such a cool sound and riff. This song goes in different directions and it's fun!
Vmadera: This will be a chance to try this band again. I tried a long time ago in the 2000s and it just sounded all the same to me. But forcing myself to listen might make them finally click. Vocals sound the same as ever :lol but the band's sound is better than I remember.
TAC: Nice groove to start it off, nice production, helps the metal sound nice. Vocals are gonna take some growing.
loenstar: The Dear Hunter-ish, but more metal. It's epic, vocals are all the styles. The main vocals are really great.
evermind: This song just immediately hits with the emotional music and cool vocals (main and backing). It really embraces it as the song goes on, it's so overt and doesn't relent. Tells a better story than SFAM in just one song.
romdrums: I like this, feels like 2000s metal sort of, simple and drives it's point home. A good example of keeping it simple and in the wheelhouse.
jingle.boy: Prog metal is on fire here, got some DT influence in some parts. Typing this, I have already forgotten most of the song but that's typical with listening to a prog metal song for the first time for me. I liked it a lot though, looking forward to more listens.
Sacul: This song has a very cool vibe. Not sure what genre you would classify it as. It has some really cool sounds and ambience and the drums keep it rocking a bit.
Litho: Pretty epic intro with some cool vocalizations. Then it becomes something like Nightwish with less of the...fantasy? But it is a fun and energetic ride.
luke: Nice and chill, good uplifting feel. Love the feel of the prechorus. Bass is driving the song nicely.
ariich: Ooh, yeah that's some cool music. I get slight Frost* vibes in some parts (probably just me). It gets more metal and then it just ends and I get sad :(
\o\ lol /o/

TAC

Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Jamesman42

\o\ lol /o/

Crow

ReaperKK

jingle.boy

Quote from: TAC on July 31, 2021, 06:55:07 PMIf I can do it, it's idiot proof.
Quote from: Stadler on January 03, 2024, 09:00:00 AMThat's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
Quote from: hefdaddy42 on November 04, 2021, 05:14:36 AMI fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".

Jamesman42

\o\ lol /o/

lonestar

Quote from: Stadler on January 20, 2022, 12:15:29 PMLonestar, speaking wise.  :)

#Stadler/Hunnus2024

jingle.boy

Is 14 Ostura?  It might be 12 though. Edit .... Yeah, I think it's 12.

But I was hoping for 8.
Quote from: Stadler on January 03, 2024, 09:00:00 AMThat's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
Quote from: hefdaddy42 on November 04, 2021, 05:14:36 AMI fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".

jingle.boy

I have no idea which one is mine. At first I thought it was 2, but then I thought maybe 11, then I saw 12 and thought that must be it.

In the end it's probably 2. :justjen
aka Puppies_On_Acid

twosuitsluke

Quote from: ariich on November 07, 2023, 12:38:53 PMJust popping in to say Luke, you were right.

jingle.boy

I'm unsure how Seventh Wonder can be anything other than 8

There's no bass, no drums, no guitar solo, and not any metal really.

jingle.boy

Jamesman42

Quote from: lonestar on August 13, 2023, 07:01:26 PM
8?

No

Quote from: jingle.boy on August 13, 2023, 07:03:12 PM
Is 14 Ostura?  It might be 12 though. Edit .... Yeah, I think it's 12.

But I was hoping for 8.

None of this is correct :lol

Quote from: jingle.boy on August 13, 2023, 07:09:22 PM
Quote from: lonestar on August 13, 2023, 07:01:26 PM
8?

I'm thinking there's a possibility The Cave might be 7 ?

Yes

Quote from: King Puppies and the Acid Guppies on August 13, 2023, 07:53:37 PM
I have no idea which one is mine. At first I thought it was 2, but then I thought maybe 11, then I saw 12 and thought that must be it.

In the end it's probably 2. :justjen

Always trust your gut.

Quote from: LithoJazzoSphere on August 13, 2023, 08:54:35 PM
Could be #12. 

You are.
Quote from: twosuitsluke on August 14, 2023, 12:47:15 AM

Ya man.

Quote from: jingle.boy on August 14, 2023, 07:39:29 AM

Quote from: jingle.boy on August 14, 2023, 08:02:41 AM
Rom / Ugly Heart screams 9.

Now you got it.

I will update the post soon, gotta go cook dinner!
\o\ lol /o/

ariich

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
Quote from: TAC on December 21, 2023, 06:05:15 AMI be am boner inducing.

lonestar

Quote from: Stadler on January 20, 2022, 12:15:29 PMLonestar, speaking wise.  :)

#Stadler/Hunnus2024

Buddyhunter1

jingle.boy

Quote from: jingle.boy on August 14, 2023, 07:39:29 AM

Beyond Today is such a beautiful song, both musically and lyrically, and Tommy gives a really powerful and credible performance even though it's from the perspective of a young girl. I hope the impression indicates that it will do well.

jingle.boy

jingle.boy

Quote from: Jamesman42 on August 14, 2023, 02:12:49 PM
I will update the post soon, gotta go cook dinner!

Just when exactly is dinner in your house?  Sunday?