Author Topic: Welcome To Jamesman, Again! (this is a roulette) - And the winner is............  (Read 27315 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So not Nightrage?

Hangman isn't done, I assume that's okay to post first impressions still?

You could finish off the songs for us and post the playlist. ;D

We can listen along to the First Impressions.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Impressions in next post!

Hangman results!

Vmadera00: The Pineapple Thief – In Exile
Ariich: Periphery – Lune
lonestar: Voices from the Fuselage – Meteorites
Crow: Oceans of Slumber – Winter
jingle.boy: Fates Warning – The Light and Shade of Things
LithoJazzoSphere: Nightmare – Ikarus
Buddyhunter1: Meshuggah – Clockworks
Sacul: David Bowie – Lazarus
twosuitsluke: The Dear Hunter – The March
Romdrums: Haken – The Endless Knot
ReaperKK: Toska – Illumo
Puppies_on_Acid: Thank You Scientist – Mr. Invisible
TAC: Avantasia – Ghostlights
Evermind: Ihsahn – Celestial Violence

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Sacul (Lazarus):I haven’t heard much of his prior work from long ago, but this was a very fun listen on the first go and I loved the ending.

Buddyhunter1 (Clockworks):Brutal intro and I would expect nothing less. Definitely music I need to be in the mood for but I also do love it.

??:His voice is always so passionate, and I appreciate a shorter song. A fun song especially on my ear buds.

Litho (Ikarus):That’s one of the more unique voices I have heard in music. It fits the metal underneath very well.

??:That is some crazy electronic sounding music, I think that’s what it is. There is so much going on here but I dig it. It’s loud and noisy but I can hear so much instrumentation as well. Fun!

jingle.boy (The Light and Shade of Things):This is pretty good and the name of the song in the chorus is very catchy. Goes on a little too long for my taste on first listen but that might be fine.

??:After a great intro and some more music, the music builds into something reminiscent of “Spiders” or another older song by System of a Down, which I was not expecting but it was beautiful. Love the vibe that this song endures.

Crow (Winter):This was nice and haunting, which built into the some unexpected growls, which, I will admit, I wasn’t liking at first. But they got better as the song went on and this song is better for them.

Puppies (Mr. Invisible):Is this prog rock, and jazz, and maybe 4 other genres of music? I don't know. And is it well done? Absolutely.

lonestar (Meteorites):Beautiful music underneath some crazy vocal lines in the middle is an incredible standout. Good metal in other parts and this will need more listens to grasp epicly.

TAC (Ghostlights):Here comes the power metal I think, better than the usual though! It’ll need some time to bond with me as I am not big on the genre overall.

??:This is so otherworldly. Parts of this, and the vocals themselves, reminded me of this band I know two songs from, called Deadstar Assembly. So much so, I had to look it up and see if it was the same singer (it wasn’t). The song passed by way too fast for me, in a good way.

Evermind (Celestial Violence):I mean, the chorus is insanely epic, I will have to listen much more to get a good sense of the whole song but I know I liked the transition into, again, THAT MONSTROUS CHORUS.

??:I am digging this style, music that is all in sync with each other to create this driving force. The guitars do this low, driving stop-start punch (I think) that I can’t get out of my head on first listen.

Also, playlist: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5rh5SHHQwo2ZCxVKOdUzvl?si=997d4c0285e14250
« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 09:13:53 AM by Jamesman42 »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

??:Here comes the power metal I think, better than the usual though! It’ll need some time to bond with me as I am not big on the genre overall.

Alrighty then, well now I know. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
:lol it's all good, 2 more listens already and it's growing

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
The brutal intro one, I assume?
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Yes sir

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
??:Is this prog rock, and jazz, and maybe 4 other genres of music? I don't know. And is it well done? Absolutely.
I'll take this one! :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
These are all pretty positive impressions...besides mine. :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
??:This was nice and haunting, which built into the some unexpected growls, which, I will admit, I wasn’t liking at first. But they got better as the song went on and this song is better for them.
probably this one yeah

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
This is pretty good and the name of the song in the chorus is very catchy. Goes on a little too long for my taste on first listen but that might be fine.

…. Has to be Light and Shade of Things.
HIS/HE/HIM

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
??:This was nice and haunting, which built into the some unexpected growls, which, I will admit, I wasn’t liking at first. But they got better as the song went on and this song is better for them.

??:I mean, the chorus is insanely epic, I will have to listen much more to get a good sense of the whole song but I know I liked the transition into, again, THAT MONSTROUS CHORUS.

One of these two?
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
David Bowie - Lazarus
oh man this is cheating :lol but fair
How so? :P

Hmmnnn not sure, maybe the first one is mine? Wouldn't really call that song "fun", but... perhaps? :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
I'll try this one first...

Beautiful music underneath some crazy vocal lines in the middle is an incredible standout. Good metal in other parts and this will need more listens to grasp epicly.

Offline 425

This is a killer round. There are at least three songs here that I absolutely love, and two that I like a lot.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Gotta be three

Offline romdrums

The fourth one could be mine.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
??:I haven’t heard much of his prior work from long ago, but this was a very fun listen on the first go and I loved the ending.

This one?
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
??:Is this prog rock, and jazz, and maybe 4 other genres of music? I don't know. And is it well done? Absolutely.
I'll take this one! :metal

Yes you will :metal

probably this one yeah

Indeed, 2 more listens and it's growing on me more, too.

This is pretty good and the name of the song in the chorus is very catchy. Goes on a little too long for my taste on first listen but that might be fine.

…. Has to be Light and Shade of Things.

Correct

??:I mean, the chorus is insanely epic, I will have to listen much more to get a good sense of the whole song but I know I liked the transition into, again, THAT MONSTROUS CHORUS.

This one

Hmmnnn not sure, maybe the first one is mine? Wouldn't really call that song "fun", but... perhaps? :lol

He felt playful singing it (on first listen) but reading the lyrics, I've decided that's probably not the case :lol

Beautiful music underneath some crazy vocal lines in the middle is an incredible standout. Good metal in other parts and this will need more listens to grasp epicly.

Yes sir

Gotta be three

Correct

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
??:That’s one of the more unique voices I have heard in music. It fits the metal underneath very well.

Maybe this one. 

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Yes

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Play the live version … the outro doesn’t linger on.

;)
HIS/HE/HIM

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
I did add it in on the playlist I posted, it's much better!

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
I have the whole day to myself and I am going to seek out live versions of the playlist today, starting with Ghostlights.

Why does Avantasia have what I think are two main singers? Loved the energy in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhSv-Lpl8eg

Offline 425

Avantasia is an Ayreon-type project where each album has a bunch of guest singers. Tobias Sammet (the guy introducing the song at the beginning of that video) is the main songwriter and he sings on every song (or almost every), and then most songs also have a guest. On Ghostlights (the song) the guest is Michael Kiske from Helloween. But if you look at the full credits for the album, you can see that there are a bunch of other guest singers.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Very cool, I liked The Human Equation a long time ago.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Ikarus was next, actually watched the music video and then this live version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDsOmkUv6sg

That was incredible as a live version, she is a great singer.

Edit: Couldn't find anything for Meteorites, was excited to see something :(

The Light and Shade of Things: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvT6GyrrhG4

Ray Alder is great, this version is very true to the album version but it's also better.

Watched the music video for Lazarus...wow. Wowowowowow. So sad and beautiful.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 08:48:11 AM by Jamesman42 »

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Yeah, there's very little live video of Voices from the Fuselage unfortunately...

Tons of Band Maid though... https://youtu.be/HUBY6KA0kaI

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
You son of a bitch, I'm in!

How good is the album Thrill is from? Won't listen any time soon with the roulette going, but is the album this quality throughout? I seriously love this stuff.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Winter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIQM5Jlfh-U

Also watched the music video. Appreciation grew quickly for Winter even though I already liked it a lot.

Illumo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhNsyIrgVL4

Only video I could find, I think, not ideal as it's a drum cam but still cool to watch.

The Endless Knot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87AyupTc4Fw

A bit muffled but this song has so much going on so that makes sense. Really cool, keyboardist looks like he's having fun.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 10:03:02 AM by Jamesman42 »

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Ikarus was next, actually watched the music video and then this live version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDsOmkUv6sg

That was incredible as a live version, she is a great singer.

Yeah, unfortunately the only live videos are crappy cell phone ones.  There's another with her with certain things better and certain things worse about the mix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJlIgcsIpGU

Sadly she only stayed with them for that one album.  Her replacement is pretty good for the next album and there are various recent live videos of her doing the same song.  She is no Magali Luyten though. 

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
I'm not a big fan of most music videos, but that one is legendary.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Yeah, unfortunately the only live videos are crappy cell phone ones.  There's another with her with certain things better and certain things worse about the mix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJlIgcsIpGU

Sadly she only stayed with them for that one album.  Her replacement is pretty good for the next album and there are various recent live videos of her doing the same song.  She is no Magali Luyten though. 

That stinks. I think the cellphone quality didn't affect getting to see a live version much at all, it was great.

I'm not a big fan of most music videos, but that one is legendary.

Same, don't care for them but since I didn't see any live version, I went with this. Legendary is a perfect word to describe it.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef

How good is the album Thrill is from? Won't listen any time soon with the roulette going, but is the album this quality throughout? I seriously love this stuff.

Actually from that album on their whole discography is pretty consistent. Thrill was where the band ditched the pop rock stuff the label was dishing on them, and let guitarist Kanami take over all songwriting duties, and it shows. She's a relentless writer, and stays within the zone of the bands overall sound, and of course her band members are more than capable. Just Bring It, the album after this one is probably my favorite, but there's good stuff throughout.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT

Actually from that album on their whole discography is pretty consistent. Thrill was where the band ditched the pop rock stuff the label was dishing on them, and let guitarist Kanami take over all songwriting duties, and it shows. She's a relentless writer, and stays within the zone of the bands overall sound, and of course her band members are more than capable. Just Bring It, the album after this one is probably my favorite, but there's good stuff throughout.

Damn, cool that they reached their potential. I will come back to this later this year for sure.

In Exile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=385vQDpCcnw

Talented band.

Celestial Violence: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pivTNlu7wB8

Like everything else, seeing a live version is making the song grow a ton on me.

Mr. Invisible: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjsgQ1pdyZw

Fun stuff again! The singer's voice and look don't match in my mind, wasn't distracting but it did throw me off at first :lol
« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 11:14:30 AM by Jamesman42 »