Author Topic: Temic - New Band Featuring Eric Gillette and Diego Tejeida  (Read 7811 times)

Offline gzarruk

Re: Temic - New Band Featuring Eric Gillette and Diego Tejeida
« Reply #70 on: July 14, 2023, 07:00:53 AM »
Apparently, based on their Instagram Q&A stories, they're currently in Norway writing their second album already.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #72 on: August 28, 2023, 10:52:09 AM »
That was a very uneventful song :lol I enjoyed the first one, but this didn't feel like anything special. Also, was Eric not around when they recorded the album? :P Hopefully the rest of the tracks have some great lead guitar parts in them.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2023, 01:38:21 PM »
I'll just quote my first two posts about the first single, because my opinion on this one is identical. :lol

This is finally happening then. :lol

The style is pretty generic and really doesn't fit the descriptions in the press release AT ALL :lol (the rest of the album might be different of course). But for what it is it's solid.

I've been hearing that term "generic" being thrown about as a more negative term. But yet, what does that term mean within the realm of music, more less about Progressive Metal in general.

For me, this sound does fit that description. I have no idea what your idea of taking on more Electronic elements and having those composed to the "live" band of Bass, Keys, Drums, Guitar and vocals to mean? But for me, that blend of their styles sounds amazing and I am wanting to hear more from them.

Honestly it's a typical single. And it got me interested to hear exactly how varied their album will be.
Well, it doesn't really sound at all like electronic music made for a rock band. There's synths for sure but that's not the same as electronica, despite what they say in the press release which generally makes claims that this song doesn't live up to (but again I'm not pre-judging the album which, as a whole, might be different and more varied).

In terms of what I meant by generic in this context, for me it mostly sounds like fairly standard alt-prog, pretty much like the singer's other band Maraton (who I like by the way), but with more of a DT/JP influence in the guitar work (unsurprisingly considering that's Gilette's whole style).

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: August 28, 2023, 05:52:35 PM »
Yeah, that song was not interesting.  The first song was better, but maybe not by much.  This isn't looking to be too interesting.  I don't think it's bad, it's just not standing out in any way.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #75 on: August 28, 2023, 05:58:28 PM »
Yeah, that song was not interesting.  The first song was better, but maybe not by much.  This isn't looking to be too interesting.  I don't think it's bad, it's just not standing out in any way.

Yeah, for a band with Eric and Diego, this is underwhelming (so far).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #76 on: November 04, 2023, 09:01:58 AM »
It looks like the last single was never posted here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1p_JkjTR4E

I guess I can see why.  The sound is good and the playing is great, but just like the first two songs, it all seems like a blur.  Memorable melodies are just lacking in every song they have released thus far.  I feel like I am out already on this band, and their first album isn't even out yet.  :lol :lol

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #77 on: November 04, 2023, 09:50:11 AM »
Completely forgot about this band. Not feeling it either.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #78 on: November 04, 2023, 10:08:43 AM »
their first liveshow will be around the corner where i live, and i'm still not interested in going. I hoped for more interesting music from diego and eric

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #79 on: November 04, 2023, 02:22:48 PM »

I guess I can see why.  The sound is good and the playing is great, but just like the first two songs, it all seems like a blur.  Memorable melodies are just lacking in every song they have released thus far.  I feel like I am out already on this band, and their first album isn't even out yet.  :lol :lol
I mean yeah, it's all a bit samey and unexciting. Funny enough I thought this was easily the most interesting of the three, I actually quite liked it. More interesting playing, a more dynamic sound and style, a bit more passion in the chorus/bridge. Though not enough to prompt me to comment on it, apparently. :lol

I hoped for more interesting music from diego and eric
Well, both are talented musicians but neither are accomplished songwriters. That's what the band is really missing, based on the singles but also what I've heard of each member's other output.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Kram

« Reply #80 on: November 04, 2023, 04:56:16 PM »

I mean yeah, it's all a bit samey and unexciting. Funny enough I thought this was easily the most interesting of the three, I actually quite liked it. More interesting playing, a more dynamic sound and style, a bit more passion in the chorus/bridge. Though not enough to prompt me to comment on it, apparently. :lol

I hoped for more interesting music from diego and eric
Well, both are talented musicians but neither are accomplished songwriters. That's what the band is really missing, based on the singles but also what I've heard of each member's other output.
Couldn't have said it better myself ariich - this is exactly where I am with this band. This was the best of the songs released so far - but it still doesn't really excite me for the album at all.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #81 on: November 04, 2023, 05:26:59 PM »
I agree with all of you. Rich, you nailed it with the songwriting aspect. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #82 on: November 05, 2023, 07:02:03 AM »

I guess I can see why.  The sound is good and the playing is great, but just like the first two songs, it all seems like a blur.  Memorable melodies are just lacking in every song they have released thus far. I feel like I am out already on this band, and their first album isn't even out yet.  :lol :lol

I haven't disagreed with a post that much in a while  :lol

I just wrote a review for this album (Jorge should release it any moment now) and I think EVERY song has a strong chorus and memorable hook lines. I like this album quite a bit. It's not the next huge prog masterpiece like Affinity or so, but it's filled to the brim with good, straight, catchy tunes with a little, but not too much, complexity and prog in them. I have come back to this album quite a few times since I heard it first.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #83 on: November 05, 2023, 08:20:59 AM »

I guess I can see why.  The sound is good and the playing is great, but just like the first two songs, it all seems like a blur.  Memorable melodies are just lacking in every song they have released thus far. I feel like I am out already on this band, and their first album isn't even out yet.  :lol :lol

I just wrote a review for this album (Jorge should release it any moment now) and I think EVERY song has a strong chorus and memorable hook lines. I like this album quite a bit. It's not the next huge prog masterpiece like Affinity or so, but it's filled to the brim with good, straight, catchy tunes with a little, but not too much, complexity and prog in them. I have come back to this album quite a few times since I heard it first.

We shall see. I will check it out when it drops assuming it is available for free somewhere, but the rest of the album will have to be a lot better than what we have gotten so far in order for me to drop money on buying it.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #84 on: November 05, 2023, 05:46:41 PM »
I agree with all of you. Rich, you nailed it with the songwriting aspect.
Eric Gillette is very capable of writing good songs. His solo album "The Great Unknown" is a masterpiece as far as I'm concerned.
As for Temic, I think that Eric has a better voice than their lead singer.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: November 05, 2023, 06:09:40 PM »
I disagree. It was average to be honest. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #86 on: November 05, 2023, 08:52:42 PM »
Are you talking about "The Great Unknown"?
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #87 on: November 05, 2023, 08:57:20 PM »
Yeah, I'm more with King on this one. I love Eric as a musician, both his playing and his singing, but The Great Unknown was a bunch of average songwriting dressed up by a killer lineup of musicians.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #88 on: November 05, 2023, 10:34:26 PM »
Yeah, I'm more with King on this one. I love Eric as a musician, both his playing and his singing, but The Great Unknown was a bunch of average songwriting dressed up by a killer lineup of musicians.
Ok fair enough.  The songs connected well with me for some reason. I like the overall vibe and atmosphere of this album, especially musically. The song "Empty" has a lot of depth and a bit of a tearjerker.. the songs flow nice throughout..

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: November 06, 2023, 03:23:39 AM »
Are you talking about "The Great Unknown"?

Yes I am.  I just don't reach for that album much.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #90 on: November 06, 2023, 03:40:15 AM »
Ok fair enough.  The songs connected well with me for some reason. I like the overall vibe and atmosphere of this album, especially musically. The song "Empty" has a lot of depth and a bit of a tearjerker.. the songs flow nice throughout..
Goes without saying that there's no right or wrong here, it's all a matter of musical taste.

I've not actually listened properly to The Great Unknown, but the couple of songs I heard didn't really excite me.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #91 on: November 06, 2023, 04:58:21 AM »
Goes without saying that there's no right or wrong here, it's all a matter of musical taste.

I've not actually listened properly to The Great Unknown, but the couple of songs I heard didn't really excite me.
I would like to encourage you to give it another chance. Take in the whole album from start to finish but at the right time.  A lot of great moments on this record with a nice epic song too. Seven tracks total..

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #92 on: November 06, 2023, 06:19:30 AM »
I like Damage is Done and All I Am quite a bit from The Great Unknown, but the rest is largely solid/forgettable, IMO.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: November 06, 2023, 08:06:02 AM »

Here's the review:

https://lotsofmuzik.com/temic-terror-management-theory-album-review/

Thank you for your support Fritzinger

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #94 on: November 06, 2023, 08:15:36 AM »
I like Damage is Done and All I Am quite a bit from The Great Unknown, but the rest is largely solid/forgettable, IMO.
I decided to give the album a proper listen today, and yeah - I agree completely. Those two songs are very good. The rest is... fine.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: November 06, 2023, 09:17:18 AM »
their first liveshow will be around the corner where i live, and i'm still not interested in going. I hoped for more interesting music from diego and eric

Id still go if it were local.  Would be cool to see these guys perform their first show.  But, the band itself is not very interesting to me at this point from the singles.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #96 on: November 06, 2023, 09:21:21 AM »
I decided to give the album a proper listen today, and yeah - I agree completely. Those two songs are very good. The rest is... fine.
What did you think of the song "Empty"?  I love the guitar tone on those solos,  very emotional song.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #97 on: November 06, 2023, 09:43:42 AM »
i already saw Diego with Devin Townsend, so there's no real "need" for me to see him again in a project i don't dig.
I'm going to see Bruce Dickinson in may though, no idea what he's going to do, but i've never seen him before ;-)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #98 on: November 06, 2023, 11:35:22 AM »
I haven't loved what I've heard so far, but I would go see them live if they played near me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: November 06, 2023, 11:57:51 AM »
i already saw Diego with Devin Townsend, so there's no real "need" for me to see him again in a project i don't dig.
I'm going to see Bruce Dickinson in may though, no idea what he's going to do, but i've never seen him before ;-)

Sure, but I'd go more so for the uniqueness of seeing a band perform live for the first time.  The whole suspense of not knowing what to expect, plus I'm sure you enjoy the guys (like we all do, in some way, I'm sure that's why we are all here) to make it somewhat intersting.  Generally, of course I agree, no point in paying money and time seeing a band you aren't into.

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #100 on: November 06, 2023, 12:56:09 PM »
I guess my expectations were too high with Gilette and Tejeida involved.
These three songs are pretty average on first listen with a vocal style I doubt I will ever get into.

I´m hearing some Voyager influences but the strong hooks just aren´t there.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #101 on: November 08, 2023, 10:59:36 AM »
I guess my expectations were too high with Gilette and Tejeida involved.

Yeah....I'm trying REALLY hard to like these guys. But at some point I may have to admit that it's just not that good. I'm going to give the album as a whole a few listens when it drops and save my final judgement for then....but....thus far it's pretty underwhelming. For me, I think it's the singer....just not feeling that guy at all. Pretty vanilla and generic.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #102 on: November 08, 2023, 11:19:04 AM »
It’s the same thing that happened with Sons of Apollo. Some great musicians involved, but there’s no songwriters in the band.

I’ll still take this over SOA any day.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #103 on: November 08, 2023, 11:34:30 AM »
It’s the same thing that happened with Sons of Apollo. Some great musicians involved, but there’s no songwriters in the band.

I’ll still take this over SOA any day.

agree on both points but especially the bolded.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #104 on: November 09, 2023, 03:10:57 AM »
Only prog fans will write off a whole band before they even released their first album  :facepalm:
any rock can be made to roll