Author Topic: Temic - New Band Featuring Eric Gillette and Diego Tejeida  (Read 7813 times)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Temic - New Band Featuring Eric Gillette and Diego Tejeida
« Reply #140 on: November 21, 2023, 10:10:51 AM »
I just finished my interview with Diego, I'll publish this one tomorrow.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #141 on: November 21, 2023, 06:07:30 PM »
I got the impression that the album really takes off from Skeletons onwards wich is most part of it. Also it would be nice to have some Eric's vocals in the album, to create another mood in places. Must say that Rich Mouser's production is really amazing, the album sounds perfect.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #142 on: November 21, 2023, 06:11:52 PM »
Is it just me or Eric starts every solo on the album with the same fast scale run? ??? I haven't properly compared them, but that's the impression I got after I listened to the album yesterday.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #143 on: November 21, 2023, 07:54:20 PM »
I tried to get through this record and was unable to make it.  I won't say I dislike the singer, but he does nothing for me, and I think I am just bored with the hyperactive style of guitar playing that Eric does far too often.  Could just be a matter of not the right time for me.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #145 on: November 22, 2023, 11:24:29 AM »
Here's my interview with Diego, I hope you enjoy it

https://lotsofmuzik.com/interview-with-diego-tejeida-on-temics-debut-album-terror-management-theory/

Thanks for the interview. Liked how they approached written the music with a vocal melody in mind. I'm really digging it with each listen.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: November 22, 2023, 11:36:54 AM »
I tried to get through this record and was unable to make it.  I won't say I dislike the singer, but he does nothing for me, and I think I am just bored with the hyperactive style of guitar playing that Eric does far too often.  Could just be a matter of not the right time for me.

It's not doing much for me, either.

Reminds me a little of Icefish. Their debut album left me totally cold, one of the most tuneless and soulless albums I've ever heard. But many others here loved it. Who knows, eh?
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #147 on: November 22, 2023, 12:17:26 PM »

Reminds me a little of Icefish. Their debut album left me totally cold, one of the most tuneless and soulless albums I've ever heard. But many others here loved it. Who knows, eh?

Yep, Icefish was so underwhelming. I think the singer's voice was what made me not like the album.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #148 on: November 22, 2023, 12:29:41 PM »

Forgot all about them, but yes I agree this feels very similar.

Kind of interesting that they wrote with vocal melodies in mind, but in most songs the vocal melodies are not really very interesting.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #149 on: November 22, 2023, 12:51:11 PM »
Here's my interview with Diego, I hope you enjoy it

https://lotsofmuzik.com/interview-with-diego-tejeida-on-temics-debut-album-terror-management-theory/

:metal

Kind of interesting that they wrote with vocal melodies in mind, but in most songs the vocal melodies are not really very interesting.

To me, the problem isn't really the vocal melodies but the execution. I just don't like Fredrik's style, but other than that, the music is very good here, just not as exciting as it could've been given the names involved.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: November 22, 2023, 01:54:38 PM »

vocal melodies are the best in the album IMO

Offline devieira73

« Reply #151 on: November 22, 2023, 03:42:55 PM »
Excellent interview, very detailed about Temic and the album!
Interesting, as it wasn't really explained by the parties at the time, but it appears he chose to leave Haken motivated by a general change in his life/career. I don't know... but it still seems like he leaved the band in not so good terms. There was some kind of announcement about this, a thank you from Haken for Diego's time in the band or something?

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #152 on: November 22, 2023, 05:39:04 PM »
Excellent interview, very detailed about Temic and the album!
Interesting, as it wasn't really explained by the parties at the time, but it appears he chose to leave Haken motivated by a general change in his life/career. I don't know... but it still seems like he leaved the band in not so good terms. There was some kind of announcement about this, a thank you from Haken for Diego's time in the band or something?

I'm not sure if there was any sort of an announcement, but I'm pretty confident in saying that he didn't leave the band on good terms.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #153 on: November 22, 2023, 06:17:23 PM »
Coincidentally, Haken announced his departure 2 years ago today.
https://metalinjection.net/news/breakups/haken-parts-ways-with-keyboardist-of-12-years

But I remember there being rumors for a whole year prior to the announcement that Diego had left.

I think it was likely a combination of personal and creative differences. But everybody seems happy now, so who cares?

Offline devieira73

« Reply #154 on: November 22, 2023, 07:21:24 PM »
Coincidentally, Haken announced his departure 2 years ago today.
https://metalinjection.net/news/breakups/haken-parts-ways-with-keyboardist-of-12-years

Nice, I didn't read this at the time :tup

Offline emtee

« Reply #155 on: November 24, 2023, 02:11:37 PM »
Fantastic album! Really enjoying it. Judging by some of the comments here I hesitated to even listen to it but I'm glad I did. Superb sonic quality also.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: November 24, 2023, 11:31:29 PM »
Fantastic album! Really enjoying it. Judging by some of the comments here I hesitated to even listen to it but I'm glad I did. Superb sonic quality also.

I can't parse this. Why let others' less posiitve comments stop you from giving something a try yourself? It costs nothing to listen on Spotify and, if you don't want to invest real time in listening to something, just pop it on while doing the cleaning, gardening, driving etc.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline emtee

« Reply #157 on: November 25, 2023, 03:32:00 AM »

I can't parse this. Why let others' less posiitve comments stop you from giving something a try yourself? It costs nothing to listen on Spotify and, if you don't want to invest real time in listening to something, just pop it on while doing the cleaning, gardening, driving etc.

Fair question. It just boils down to time available per day to listen to music. And over the last 2 years I made a decision to listen to new music on headphones only and on dedicated time. Active listening vs passive listening and I'm amazed by how much more impactful this has been for me. The size of my collection became an issue also, creating indecision paralysis, so I only buy 5 or 6 new albums per year now. When I hear more negative comments than positive, I take that into consideration when deciding what I will listen to for my 45 minutes per day of available time.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #159 on: November 28, 2023, 11:56:06 AM »
New video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IE4qHkOJxPI

I dig that song quite a bit. Vid is 'ok'.....little bit repetitive on the subject matter.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: November 28, 2023, 01:19:34 PM »
This album is really growing on me.  I've been listening nonstop this week.  Maybe Diego and Eric can be the new Petrucci/Rudess when it comes to guitar/key duos in progressive metal. 
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #161 on: November 28, 2023, 09:28:56 PM »
This album is really growing on me.  I've been listening nonstop this week.  Maybe Diego and Eric can be the new Petrucci/Rudess when it comes to guitar/key duos in progressive metal.

If I have to guess.....I've probably listened to this album 50 times already....no exaggeration. I will say.....the singles they released did zero to peak my interest, if anything it had me doubting this album out of the gate. But I caught parts of the live stream of the album on Youtube the day before release and it seemed like a different sound.

Then, listening to it all in context with each other....I couldn't even tell which ones were the singles because they just fit in. I still don't know which ones they released early....I'd have to look it up but I like every song on the album so something changed and I think it was just me taking it all in as a whole. With the singles I wasn't digging the vocalist....with the album in context I'm liking him a lot. Same with Eric....thought his talent was wasted in the singles but listening to the whole sum of things he really plays the role well in this band. It's a different ask of him than what he did in The Neal Morse Band and I kind of like it.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Kram

« Reply #162 on: December 06, 2023, 11:06:25 AM »

If I have to guess.....I've probably listened to this album 50 times already....no exaggeration. I will say.....the singles they released did zero to peak my interest, if anything it had me doubting this album out of the gate. But I caught parts of the live stream of the album on Youtube the day before release and it seemed like a different sound.

Then, listening to it all in context with each other....I couldn't even tell which ones were the singles because they just fit in. I still don't know which ones they released early....I'd have to look it up but I like every song on the album so something changed and I think it was just me taking it all in as a whole. With the singles I wasn't digging the vocalist....with the album in context I'm liking him a lot. Same with Eric....thought his talent was wasted in the singles but listening to the whole sum of things he really plays the role well in this band. It's a different ask of him than what he did in The Neal Morse Band and I kind of like it.
I finally picked this up last weekend and I cannot stop listening to this album - it's awesome!  Like you, the singles did nothing for me, and I almost passed on this (and when the project was announced, it was an automatic buy for me).  So in my case, they almost LOST a sale by releasing a few tracks prior to the album release.  If it wasn't for some high praise by some trusted reviewers on this site, I may not have picked it up.  Thanks guys, this is seriously my favorite album right now!  And yes, Eric (and Diego) both have some ripping leads on this album, and I'm loving the singer now.  A lot of great catchy melodies too.  What a turn around for me - I can't recommend this enough!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: December 06, 2023, 11:27:19 AM »
I should check it out, lots of praise, not just here but elsewhere for the album.  Almost everyone says the album is better than the singles.  I just have some other priorities to check out, but I'll get to it at some point.

Offline Awaken

« Reply #164 on: December 06, 2023, 11:38:15 AM »

Fair question. It just boils down to time available per day to listen to music. And over the last 2 years I made a decision to listen to new music on headphones only and on dedicated time. Active listening vs passive listening and I'm amazed by how much more impactful this has been for me. The size of my collection became an issue also, creating indecision paralysis, so I only buy 5 or 6 new albums per year now. When I hear more negative comments than positive, I take that into consideration when deciding what I will listen to for my 45 minutes per day of available time.

The initial run through didn't really resonate with me, either.  However, I may take some time to use this approach - in fairness I had spun this while working and was only half checked in.  Thanks for sharing, going to give it another go soon.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #165 on: December 06, 2023, 12:19:50 PM »

I haven't listened to it anywhere near 50 times, but I agree 100% that the singles did little for me, but I thought the album was pretty darn good on my first and subsequent listens.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #166 on: December 06, 2023, 07:28:48 PM »
I gave this a listen on release day. I liked it, but haven't felt like revisiting it.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: December 08, 2023, 12:31:28 PM »
I finally gave the whole album a listen today and the first thought was that it was generic. The guys are all clearly talented on their respective instruments but they fall short on the song writing. I did really like "TMT", "Count Your Losses", and "Paradigm".

Offline Pebsie

« Reply #168 on: February 13, 2024, 08:43:33 AM »
They've just released all the stems from the album. An unbelievably cool move. I wish more bands did this.
https://temic.bandcamp.com/album/tmt-stems

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #169 on: February 13, 2024, 12:27:59 PM »
also, their first live concert is on youtube, but appartenly the sound sucked at the venue

Offline Kram

« Reply #170 on: February 13, 2024, 12:29:15 PM »
I just want to say, I'm still listening to this album regularly and it's awesome!  Looking forward to hopefully hearing more new music from them in the future.

Offline krands85

« Reply #171 on: February 13, 2024, 02:44:34 PM »
I just want to say, I'm still listening to this album regularly and it's awesome!  Looking forward to hopefully hearing more new music from them in the future.
Agreed  :tup
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Pebsie

« Reply #172 on: February 14, 2024, 02:25:50 AM »

Yep, my top album of 2023. Totally agree with the above comment that the singles didn't do much but now the album is out I've forgotten what the singles were because everything just fits so well in the context of the album. Listening to the album feels like watching a live show, it all flows so well together. Such a brillaint album. Can't wait for the next (which I believe is already recorded).

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #173 on: February 14, 2024, 11:52:54 AM »
Glad to see opinions are still positive about this album. I think it has great melodic qualities that aren't found regularly on newer prog metal albums. Writing catchy melodies is hard and a skill that's often underestimated.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #174 on: February 14, 2024, 01:38:36 PM »
Hoping MP takes them out with DT if they tour this summer.