Author Topic: Temic - New Band Featuring Eric Gillette and Diego Tejeida  (Read 7817 times)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Temic - New Band Featuring Eric Gillette and Diego Tejeida
« Reply #105 on: November 09, 2023, 03:32:37 AM »
Only prog fans will write off a whole band before they even released their first album  :facepalm:
This is an absolute nonsense statement. Firstly, who's writing them off? We're simply saying that we've heard the three singles and we're not excited by what we hear. And secondly, prog fans are no less open to giving things a try than any other genre community - arguably slightly more.

EDIT: Also it should go without saying, but if you really like what you hear then that's great, just enjoy it and don't worry about others think.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #106 on: November 09, 2023, 05:38:28 AM »
Only prog fans will write off a whole band before they even released their first album  :facepalm:

:facepalm: :facepalm:

Like Rich said, we are reacting to what we are hearing, and most of us have said we will still check out the full album when it drops. 

Also, I do not claim to be a prog fan; I am a music fan.  :) :)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #107 on: November 09, 2023, 06:36:57 AM »
It doesn't help that the singer is a virtual unknown, while they have one of the greatest vocal talents of recent years not doing vocals. Two of the great melodic bands of our time in Haken and NMB and yet when they come together the songs have been forgettable.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #108 on: November 09, 2023, 09:22:02 AM »
It doesn't help that the singer is a virtual unknown, while they have one of the greatest vocal talents of recent years not doing vocals. Two of the great melodic bands of our time in Haken and NMB and yet when they come together the songs have been forgettable.
I would have been very happy if Eric was covering the lead vocals for this,  hopefully he sings a nice supporting role in some of the songs.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #109 on: November 09, 2023, 09:29:46 AM »
Diego and Eric were just on the Prog Report (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eyh8JrDg8g&pp=ygUPdGhlIHByb2cgcmVwb3J0) and Eric says he did backing vocals but it's not on their plans to have him do leads at all.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #110 on: November 09, 2023, 09:32:42 AM »
That's an enormous shame. Gotta hope NMB keeps going then, what with Portnoy going back to DT.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #111 on: November 09, 2023, 01:52:47 PM »
Yeah I might have exaggerated a little  :lol

But I read a lot of “I expected more with these musicians involved”, “at some point I have to admit it’s not that good” and even a literal “I feel like I’m already out on this band” - before the album is even out. And this is just something I often see before the release of new records, and regularly in the prog genre.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #112 on: November 09, 2023, 02:11:51 PM »
I just think the few singles released haven’t really done much to get people excited or interested, and the fact that this thread was dormant for 2 whole months kinda emphasizes that  :lol
I’ll definitely check out the album when it’s out.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #113 on: November 09, 2023, 07:44:49 PM »
Yeah I might have exaggerated a little  :lol

But I read a lot of “I expected more with these musicians involved”, “at some point I have to admit it’s not that good” and even a literal “I feel like I’m already out on this band” - before the album is even out. And this is just something I often see before the release of new records, and regularly in the prog genre.

Apologies if three meh songs and a singer that didn't draw me in at all are not making me want to run to the store the day the CD drops. :P

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: November 09, 2023, 11:07:12 PM »
Yeah. Sorry, Fritz. Those three singles are a big ol' pile of  shrugness for me. I'll check out the album if it's on Spotify, though. Once :biggrin:
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: November 10, 2023, 07:06:47 AM »

Who, Eric? The dude is crazy talented and is the best singer in NMB but greatest vocal talent? Not even close. His timbre is really grating at times.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #116 on: November 10, 2023, 07:08:27 AM »
Yeah, Eric is a fine vocalist and his voice works for stuff like the NMB, but he’s not a metal vocalist. He would sound totally out of place in this context.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #117 on: November 10, 2023, 07:40:04 AM »
Yeah, that threw me off as well.  I love most of Eric's lead vocal contributions with NMB (the last few lines of Alive Again still give me goosebumps on certain days), but I would stop short of calling him one of the greatest vocal talents.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #118 on: November 10, 2023, 07:47:14 AM »

The singer is known.  He is from the band, Maraton.  Their 1st 2 albums are great.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #119 on: November 10, 2023, 08:39:11 AM »

The singer is known.  He is from the band, Maraton.  Their 1st 2 albums are great.
You're not selling this well.  I've never heard of Maraton.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: November 10, 2023, 09:16:46 AM »

You're not selling this well.  I've never heard of Maraton.

Then check them out.  I bet you'd like them.  They have 2 albums.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #121 on: November 10, 2023, 09:25:10 AM »
I might, but that doesn't mean he's not unknown.  Which is all I'm saying.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: November 10, 2023, 09:26:25 AM »
I might, but that doesn't mean he's not unknown.  Which is all I'm saying.

No, I get it.  I figured they've been talked around here so most prog fans would somehow come across them. 

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: November 15, 2023, 10:34:03 AM »
Diego and Eric are available for interview next Monday or Tuesday (November 20 +21)? Eric and Diego are typically available from 10 am to 2 pm CT.
Anyone interested?

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #124 on: November 16, 2023, 08:57:06 AM »
Been listening along with this LiveStream on 'Season Of Mist' Youtube channel....the band is commenting and the album is being played. There has been some good stuff on this! They didn't hit gold on everything but there is some great musicianship going on. It'll be neat to dive into this album more
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #125 on: November 16, 2023, 08:07:35 PM »
Simply INCREDIBLE album! :hefdaddy

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #126 on: November 17, 2023, 05:03:00 AM »
Gave it a listen and it was alright. Intro is quite cool. Friendly Fire is an enjoyable instrumental in a Nil By Mouth sort of way. And Mothallah is a good song, probably the best on there. The rest were all fine, nothing I disliked but nothing that really stood out.

I'll give it another listen for sure but I don't get the sense I'll want to keep coming back to it. It's partly the vocals and melodies but it definitely sounds a bit like Maraton, if a bit crunchier, but not as interesting as their first album which was great.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #127 on: November 17, 2023, 06:31:54 AM »
I'm digging the fuck out of this.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Pebsie

« Reply #128 on: November 17, 2023, 06:33:32 AM »
Really enjoying this album so far. Eric Gillete absolutely kills on Skeletons. I didn't feel like he was that prominent enough in the singles so really glad to hear him coming through in force on that track.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: November 17, 2023, 06:48:46 AM »
The album is fantastic!

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #130 on: November 17, 2023, 08:49:12 AM »
My expectations were not very high on this album after some of the singles, but I've been really really enjoying the album. I will definitely spend more time with it.  :metal

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #131 on: November 17, 2023, 09:00:02 AM »
Listening now. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #132 on: November 17, 2023, 10:15:28 AM »
Wow, I liked that a lot more than I thought I would!  Good stuff!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: November 17, 2023, 11:15:39 AM »

Same....had quite a bit of windshield time this morning driving to and from a jobsite. Listened to it twice. When listening to it as a whole those singles they released fit really well into the album, and....there's quite a bit of great musicianship going on (as expected) AND I think that singer fits right in with it all. I can see myself listening to this quite a bit over the next couple weeks.

I still feel like Eric is underutilized knowing what he's capable of from his work in TNMB but again...it all sounds really good together.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: November 17, 2023, 01:32:12 PM »
Diego and Eric are available for interview next Monday or Tuesday (November 20 +21)? Eric and Diego are typically available from 10 am to 2 pm CT.
Anyone interested?

I'll be interviewing Diego next Tuesday at 10 am CT. The PR said Eric will try to join us as well.

If you guys have questions for him/them please post those here.

Offline Kram

« Reply #135 on: November 17, 2023, 04:28:40 PM »

Same....had quite a bit of windshield time this morning driving to and from a jobsite. Listened to it twice. When listening to it as a whole those singles they released fit really well into the album, and....there's quite a bit of great musicianship going on (as expected) AND I think that singer fits right in with it all. I can see myself listening to this quite a bit over the next couple weeks.

I still feel like Eric is underutilized knowing what he's capable of from his work in TNMB but again...it all sounds really good together.
OK, you guys sold me on it.  I'll be picking this up and giving it a try.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #136 on: November 17, 2023, 04:34:08 PM »
Anyone interested?

I'll be interviewing Diego next Tuesday at 10 am CT. The PR said Eric will try to join us as well.

Is it safe to say they'll play a few other songs from their back catalog to complete their live show?

My bets are The Great Unknown, The Endless Knot and a maybe few others.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: November 17, 2023, 06:11:58 PM »
Diego and Eric are available for interview next Monday :tup or Tuesday (November 20 +21)? Eric and Diego are typically available from 10 am to 2 pm CT.
Anyone interested?

Really just curious about your information at this point. Just suggest that they come through St. Louis for me  :tup

And I’ve listened to this I think 7 times today. Currently listening again as I type now.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #138 on: November 18, 2023, 09:10:21 AM »

Yep, digging it a lot as well. I'm digging the singer's voice. Wish Diego was higher in the mix though. Can barely hear what he is doing.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #139 on: November 19, 2023, 01:08:03 PM »
Listening to the album...
Wow, Skeletons has some killer moments!
https://open.spotify.com/track/0o2dpw8UoyuYbnH4T8riUH?si=5szmopuKSAiHSaKF-SKu1w
« Last Edit: November 21, 2023, 10:15:35 AM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)