Author Topic: Temic - New Band Featuring Eric Gillette and Diego Tejeida  (Read 7806 times)

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Temic - New Band Featuring Eric Gillette and Diego Tejeida
« on: July 10, 2023, 06:01:09 PM »
"Introducing TEMIC—prog’s newest, most ambitious, and most adrenaline-fueled act. TEMIC melds the creative minds of keyboardist and sound designer Diego Tejeida (Devin Townsend, Mike Portnoy’s Shattered Fortress, ex-Haken), guitarist Eric Gillette (The Neal Morse Band, Mike Portnoy’s Shattered Fortress), drummer Simen Sandnes (SHINING, Arkentype), and vocalist Fredrik Klemp (Maraton, 22). Signed to Season of Mist (Label) and Glassville Music (Management)

The origins of TEMIC date back to 2017, when Tejeida and Gillette toured the world as band members of Mike Portnoy’s Shattered Fortress. From the very first chords they exchanged, their musical chemistry both on and off stage was undeniable, leading them to discuss the prospect of starting a new band together. Unfortunately, conflicting tour and recording commitments forced them to turn their attention elsewhere for years—that is, until the world came to a standstill in 2020, and Tejeida called Gillette to ask a fateful question:

“Remember how we said we should make music together? Well, how about now?”

Thus, the first demos for what would later become TEMIC’s 2023 debut album, Terror Management Theory, began to emerge. Within a few weeks after that initial phone call, the musical vision of TEMIC had become clear: Let’s create progressive music that is heavily influenced by high-energy electronic music, but arranged and orchestrated for a 5-piece modern prog rock/metal band—where, at last, the pulse can be the focus, and the vocal melody can be king.

Eager to join forces with the very best bandmates, Tejeida and Gillette first summoned the rhythmic power of their friend and drummer Sandnes. With characteristic enthusiasm, Sandnes seized the opportunity, prepared to contribute his percussive prowess as the heartbeat of TEMIC. When it came time to find the singer that would carry TEMIC’s melodies to new heights, Sandnes recommended vocal powerhouse Klemp, whose emotive delivery and unmatched intensity left no doubt that he was destined to be the voice of TEMIC. Finally, to round out the rhythm section of Terror Management Theory, dynamic bassist Jacob Umansky (Intervals) was invited on board as a guest player, gracing the album with an unrivaled groove and a signature low-end sound.

Together, this mammoth lineup is TEMIC, a high-energy, electronic-inspired, modern melodic prog metal band for the next generation. "

https://www.temicband.com/

First single:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS7Wx43HRYk
« Last Edit: July 11, 2023, 07:56:09 AM by ariich »
Photobucket sucks.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Temic - New Band Featuring Eric Gillette and Diego Tejada
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2023, 06:21:47 PM »
Oh man!!!  I dig it!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2023, 06:27:19 PM »
Oh man!!!  I dig it!

I've been waiting impatiently for the Eric/Diego project to be announced, also digging the first single :metal
Photobucket sucks.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2023, 06:35:20 PM »
I've been waiting for them to announce this band for years :lol

I won't be able to listen to this for a couple more hours, but I'm excited anyway :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2023, 06:38:12 PM »
Oh man!!!  I dig it!

I've been waiting impatiently for the Eric/Diego project to be announced, also digging the first single :metal

And as you saw on Facebook,  Simen responded.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline krands85

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2023, 07:32:57 PM »
 :metal
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2023, 04:10:06 AM »
This is finally happening then. :lol

The style is pretty generic and really doesn't fit the descriptions in the press release AT ALL :lol (the rest of the album might be different of course). But for what it is it's solid.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Pebsie

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2023, 05:23:20 AM »
This is awesome. Great to see Eric stepping out from just working solo / NMB into something heavier. Even greater to see Diego back on his feet after parting with Haken... was worried he might go the way of Kevin Moore and we'd find out in 10 years time that he'd become a dentist or something :rollin

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2023, 06:46:34 AM »

The style is pretty generic and really doesn't fit the descriptions in the press release AT ALL :lol (the rest of the album might be different of course). But for what it is it's solid.

I've been hearing that term "generic" being thrown about as a more negative term. But yet, what does that term mean within the realm of music, more less about Progressive Metal in general.

For me, this sound does fit that description. I have no idea what your idea of taking on more Electronic elements and having those composed to the "live" band of Bass, Keys, Drums, Guitar and vocals to mean? But for me, that blend of their styles sounds amazing and I am wanting to hear more from them.

Honestly it's a typical single. And it got me interested to hear exactly how varied their album will be.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2023, 06:53:30 AM »

I've been hearing that term "generic" being thrown about as a more negative term. But yet, what does that term mean within the realm of music, more less about Progressive Metal in general.

For me, this sound does fit that description. I have no idea what your idea of taking on more Electronic elements and having those composed to the "live" band of Bass, Keys, Drums, Guitar and vocals to mean? But for me, that blend of their styles sounds amazing and I am wanting to hear more from them.

Honestly it's a typical single. And it got me interested to hear exactly how varied their album will be.
Well, it doesn't really sound at all like electronic music made for a rock band. There's synths for sure but that's not the same as electronica, despite what they say in the press release which generally makes claims that this song doesn't live up to (but again I'm not pre-judging the album which, as a whole, might be different and more varied).

In terms of what I meant by generic in this context, for me it mostly sounds like fairly standard alt-prog, pretty much like the singer's other band Maraton (who I like by the way), but with more of a DT/JP influence in the guitar work (unsurprisingly considering that's Gilette's whole style).

I be am boner inducing.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2023, 07:02:31 AM »
Yeah, Rich.  I was disappointed to already rated Maraton.  I was planning on sending them on your roulette. 

Offline Skeever

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2023, 07:04:06 AM »
Very interesting song... I like it, and can't wait!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2023, 07:24:48 AM »
Yeah, Rich.  I was disappointed to already rated Maraton.  I was planning on sending them on your roulette. 
First album was really excellent. Second album was less exciting in terms of vocal melodies (which I also feel with this first Temic song) but still very solid overall.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2023, 07:39:00 AM »
First album was really excellent. Second album was less exciting in terms of vocal melodies (which I also feel with this first Temic song) but still very solid overall.

I agree as well.  1st album has a little more edge to it as well. 

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Temic - New Band Featuring Eric Gillette and Diego Tejeida
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2023, 07:57:16 AM »

I agree as well.  1st album has a little more edge to it as well. 
Yeah definitely. More edge but also a the same time some of the songs were more poppy and catchy. Great album.

By the way I've corrected Diego's surname in the thread title. :P

I be am boner inducing.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2023, 08:34:30 AM »

“Terror Management Theory” Track list:

1. TMT (2:02)
2. Through the Sands of Time (7:00)
3. Falling Away (4:58)
4. Count Your Losses (6:13)
5. Skeletons (7:00)
6. Acts of Violence (5:52)
7. Friendly Fire (5:57)
8. Paradigm (6:33)
9. Once More (5:45)
10. Mothallah (7:27)

I am digging it

:metal

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2023, 11:03:19 AM »
Not sold on the vocals. We'll see how's the rest of the album.  :-X

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2023, 11:05:07 AM »
I like it....hope Eric is utilized a bit more in the remainder of the tracks but this song didn't run me off....it did the trick, I'm interested.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2023, 11:23:09 AM »
Quote from: ariich link=topic=58435.msg3011610#msg3011610
By the way I've corrected Diego's surname in the thread title. :P

:facepalm: Thanks Rich
Photobucket sucks.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2023, 11:43:13 AM »

I have to agree, this first single is a bit generic... but some of the snippets they posted long time ago while recording were a lot more interesting than this song. I'm excited to listen to the whole album :metal

Btw, to those familiar with the singer, does he always do clean vocals or should I expect some growls/screams/whatever on the rest of the album? I'm asking because I really hope there aren't any of those :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline 425

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2023, 12:58:33 PM »
I agree with the take that this sounds like pretty generic alt-prog-metal, which isn't a style I'm particularly excited by in most cases. Was kind of disappointed by that one part where it sounded like Eric was going to start a solo and then it turned out to be a transition.

I'll listen to any other singles they put out, but I sort of think this project might not be for me.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2023, 01:19:27 PM »

Yeah... this song is pretty generic djenty prog.  Very much in style of what a lot of bands are doing in the genre.  Song is good, but doesn't stand out.  I'm interested though, there's likely more interesting tracks and I'm curious what Diego does here.  Kind of thought him leaving Haken was more likely a mistake (assuming it was all his choice), but I'm hoping he proves that thought wrong and this band can break open in the genre. We will see. Following.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2023, 01:24:39 PM »
I would assume nothing when it comes to Diego.

Although funnily enough, regardless of my views on him as a person, he's probably the most interesting thing about this song.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2023, 01:28:05 PM »

Although funnily enough, regardless of my views on him as a person, he's probably the most interesting thing about this song.

Yeah, what do I know the whole situation was hush hush and I'm sure you know lots more.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2023, 01:29:00 PM »

He's certainly the most featured. Eric could have been any one of 1,000 other guitarists on this song. I'm sure they'll find a way to utilize the full breadth of his talent....but this song in particular he's just a bystander.

The vocals didn't kill it for me but I am hoping that there's more to it on the remainder of the songs.

Yeah... this song is pretty generic djenty prog.  Very much in style of what a lot of bands are doing in the genre. 

totally agree. Like with my comment about Eric's effort in this song......this song in itself could be any one of 100 other djenty/prog songs that have been recorded already.

I do have high hopes though given the talent involved so obviously full judgement has yet to be seen.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2023, 01:30:23 PM »
I thought the bass player was impressive. Can't say I love the singer and the tuning is way too low for me to enjoy it. I tad keyboard heavy.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2023, 01:34:01 PM »
Singer is fine for me.  He didn't wow me but he didn't ruin the song in any way.  I think I just need to hear more to judge the band further.  Song is middle of the pack, but it is decent enough with the talent that does give me hope that there's more interesting music from them.  There's always the chance that the single is the most easy to digest of the songs.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2023, 01:35:26 PM »
Yeah, that's all fair. I just hated the tuning. I'll drop the needle on this when it comes out, but I'm not holding my breath.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2023, 01:46:19 PM »
I do have high hopes though given the talent involved so obviously full judgement has yet to be seen.
There's undoubtedly a lot of talent in terms of performance although none of them are among my favourites. Not actually sure how much talent there is in terms of composition. Diego did a fair bit of sound design on some of the Haken albums but I don't believe he was ever a core composer. Never heard anything of Eric's that particularly excited me despite his talent as a player.

I'm not saying they DON'T have talent and/or creativity in that regard, I'm just not aware of it. Hopefully the next single will offer a glimpse of something a bit different.

I be am boner inducing.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2023, 01:59:30 PM »
Never heard anything of Eric's that particularly excited me despite his talent as a player.

I love his work in TNMB.....lots a great solos, riffs and overall really good playing. And, I dig his vocals in that setting/band as well. I'm just curious as to how 'guided' and directed he was with his guitar work in TNMB? I've heard his solo stuff and while it's good.....it's not TNMB level good. So, I'll be wanting to see what he does with this as far as his output. Like I said, that song.....he wasn't relevant at all.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2023, 03:52:23 PM »
Never heard anything of Eric's that particularly excited me despite his talent as a player.

I love his work in TNMB.....lots a great solos, riffs and overall really good playing. And, I dig his vocals in that setting/band as well. I'm just curious as to how 'guided' and directed he was with his guitar work in TNMB? I've heard his solo stuff and while it's good.....it's not TNMB level good. So, I'll be wanting to see what he does with this as far as his output. Like I said, that song.....he wasn't relevant at all.
Yeah that's mostly about his playing though, which I agree is very impressive (a bit of JP rip-off but a bloody good one). I mean song-writing, which I feel is the more important thing.

I thought the bass player was impressive.
Funnily enough he's the only one that's not actually part of the band. :lol It's the bass player from Intervals and he's a guest on the album.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2023, 04:06:22 PM »
I thought the bass player was impressive.
Funnily enough he's the only one that's not actually part of the band. :lol It's the bass player from Intervals and he's a guest on the album.

Funnily enough, he isn't part of Intervals either :lol If I'm not mistaken he's only a session/touring member for them too.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2023, 04:54:48 PM »
Honestly, I hope things work out for them, but let's face it, it's gonna be tough for this band to make a big impact in such a crowded genre with established heavyweights.

As for not making the bass player an official member, that's another thing that struck me as strange from the beginning. But hey, the band is already super international as it is, with Diego splitting time between Mexico and Chicago, Eric in OK, and the other two on the other side of the world.

Offline Kram

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2023, 05:50:40 PM »
I agree with the consensus here. The singer doesn't "wow" me, Eric is underutilized (could of been me playing that - well sorta lol), and Diego was the best part of the song. I'm willing to check out more as I'm a pretty big Eric fan! I'm sure there's some ripping leads and quite frankly would prefer his vocals over the singer.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2023, 06:26:23 PM »
I really dug the track and I'm looking forward to checking the album out. I was mostly curious of the vocalist and he hit it out of the park. Great voice for the style of song.