Poll

Would You Rather.......

Be given $1 million Dollars Straight Up
35 (92.1%)
Be given $10 million Dollars but have to score one penalty shot on an NHL goalie of  your choosing. You have (10) attempts.
3 (7.9%)
Be given $10 million Dollars  but you have to beat Tiger Woods in one hole of golf on a PGA Tour course of your choosing.. You have 18 holes to do so. .
0 (0%)
Be given $10 million Dollars to get a hit off of Max Scherzer. You have (6) at bats to do so.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: Would You Rather......  (Read 1616 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Would You Rather......
« on: July 06, 2023, 07:59:00 AM »
Saw a few of these types of hypothetical's online and thought it'd be fun. I personally would go for the goaltender shootout and risk getting nothing. I think I'd have a 50/50 chance at that honestly, just got to get lucky once and the puck does weird things.

I think Tiger would be pissed to lose to an amateur so he'd just embarrass you.

It's hard as hell to hit a baseball so that one seems to be the toughest one I listed.

And.....all monies listed are after taxes.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Would You Rather......
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2023, 08:07:54 AM »
I have no shot beating a pro so I'd take the straight cash 1 mil, homie. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2023, 08:09:47 AM »
I'll take the million dollars.

I would have zero chance at the baseball or hockey options, and the only chance any of us would have at beating Tiger at a hole of golf if it's a day where his back or other injuries are acting up.

Take the sure thing.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2023, 08:12:19 AM »
It took me a couple minutes to realize that the "straight up" was only $1M.  I'd probably take the $1M, but if I had to dow one of those, it would be the NHL penalty shot.  I played baseball and could hit reasonably well, but not at that level.  And a good hanging curve would probably make me poop.   I might try the Tiger one, only to get four hours with the guy, but I can't see any scenario where he's not so far into my head by the third hole that it's downright embarrassing.   

I played hockey up into college, so I have at least a fighting chance there; all I need is for him to catch an edge or something lucky for me to win the big money.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2023, 08:18:47 AM »
That’s what I’m thinking with the penalty shot. Ten chances…..need a lucky bounce or heck…..even just one good shot. They’re all tough. But, I think I’d risk it on the penalty shot.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2023, 08:21:42 AM »
Cash straight up. I’m a nerd. I have no athletic ability at all.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2023, 08:22:12 AM »
Does anyone think they can beat a professional at their sport on DTF? Easily take the million.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2023, 08:25:20 AM »
I'll take the penalty shot if I can choose Dan Cloutier as the goalie.  I'd wear a Nicklas Lidstrom jersey to get in his head, too.

Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2023, 08:41:34 AM »
Take the cash. You can do a lot with a million.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2023, 08:56:43 AM »
I definitely take the million. I agree with XJ.

Does "getting a hit off Scherzer" mean making contact and putting the ball in Fair territory, or getting what would legitimately be a hit in an MLB game?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2023, 09:19:01 AM »
I'm taking the million...

I can't ice skate so that's out.

I have an incurable slice so that's out.

And my shoulder is about ten years past being able to hit a softball in a pick up game, much less a pro pitcher.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2023, 09:19:41 AM »
There is ZERO chance I could beat Eldrick, no matter how many holes you give me.

Scoring on penalty shots can be somewhat fluky, and I can skate well enough that I could actually make a decent approach and get something on the puck.  Of course, the chances are bigger that I'd fall on my face at least half the time.

The Scherzer thing is slightly ambiguous, but I assume it means that, in addition to Scherzer, there will also be a professional defense behind him and that an actual base-hit is needed.  I could theoretically line a pitch to right field and get thrown out at first.  On the other hand, if all this means is putting the ball in play in fair territory, then I might go for this.

If you asked me this 20-30 years ago, my answer might have been different, but now?  I'm taking the guaranteed million.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2023, 09:23:28 AM »
Gimme that cash
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2023, 09:38:06 AM »
a Bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush

I'll take the million.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2023, 09:52:56 AM »
Does anyone think they can beat a professional at their sport on DTF? Easily take the million.

Of course!! Such is the life of a weekend warrior!!!   :)

(The reality is, I crawled under the mower this past weekend to fix a belt, and I could barely stand back up again.). :) :) :) :) :)

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2023, 10:47:29 AM »
Does anyone think they can beat a professional at their sport on DTF?

6% of Americans think they can beat a grizzly bear in unarmed combat. This level of optimism is tame by comparison.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2023, 10:49:37 AM »

The Scherzer thing is slightly ambiguous, but I assume it means that, in addition to Scherzer, there will also be a professional defense behind him and that an actual base-hit is needed.  I could theoretically line a pitch to right field and get thrown out at first.  On the other hand, if all this means is putting the ball in play in fair territory, then I might go for this.

I am guessing he could have no one playing the field behind him, and none of us are still getting a hit off him. 

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2023, 11:08:48 AM »
I'll take the cool million. Good investing, and I'd turn that into a good chunk of change.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2023, 11:11:22 AM »
IDK.  has anyone faces a 95 MPH fastball that has movement?  I have.  It's nuts trying to time a pitch on where you think it will be thrown.  That's why anyone hitting .300 amazes me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2023, 12:40:15 PM »
I’d offer the goalie $8M to let me score😉
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2023, 12:40:32 PM »
I'll take the 1 million dollars (euros are fine as well). Why should I let the possibility of 10 millions make me risk to have nothing, where I can just have 1 million by saying yes?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2023, 12:45:45 PM »
I’d offer the goalie $8M to let me score😉

Nice! :lol

The correct answer though I'd offer a split.

To answer the question, I'm taking the Mill.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2023, 01:41:43 PM »
Does anyone think they can beat a professional at their sport on DTF?

6% of Americans think they can beat a grizzly bear in unarmed combat. This level of optimism is tame by comparison.

Make yourself big.  Not that big a deal.

:)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2023, 01:52:32 PM »
Now if beating a grizzly bear in 1 on 1 combat for 10 million was an option, I'd choose that  :rollin

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2023, 02:01:40 PM »
I think I can pull off beating a goalie on a penalty shot if I pick the goalie.  There are a few goalies in the NHL where you watch them and you go, "They have no idea where they are position-wise at times," where this guy has a better chance of making that save.

Now if you say I have to face one of the top three Russian goalies in the league, I'm just going to take the million.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2023, 02:03:08 PM »
IDK.  has anyone faces a 95 MPH fastball that has movement?  I have.  It's nuts trying to time a pitch on where you think it will be thrown.  That's why anyone hitting .300 amazes me.

I remember, years ago when my neice was in college softball and I went to the cages with her. I took a round in the 80mph machine for shit's and giggles. I made contact once. And that's with no movement.

I was always impressed with her bat speed, she was a lead off hitter for a 2A team, and there was a time she was leading the nation in average before a brutal slump.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2023, 03:36:51 PM »

I remember, years ago when my neice was in college softball and I went to the cages with her. I took a round in the 80mph machine for shit's and giggles. I made contact once. And that's with no movement.

There's a cage near my house that goes up to 90, and they have OLD machines with arms (like a 30-year old version of an Iron Mike).  I always took my son there because, unlike the more common wheel machines, these machines were erratic, so you couldn't just key on the same location (although that's good for some things).  I'd always take a round in the 90 cage, and I'd always make contact once or twice.  It's been a while, though.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2023, 04:07:31 PM »
Give me the mil and I'm running.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2023, 05:41:57 PM »
I’ve played baseball my whole life but still not confident at my age now to get a hit off Max so I’ll take the easy mil.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2023, 06:16:57 PM »
$1MM easy.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2023, 12:37:31 AM »
Give me the million plz. Since I could only dream of ever havin so much money there's no way I would choose the option to gamble for more. I would have no chance either way.
Sure if I was a bored millionare I might chose to play for more.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2023, 04:48:30 AM »
Option A.

Now, if you remove the caveat of a "PGA" course, I might select the Tiger Woods option.

I'd choose a mini-putt course.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2023, 08:29:54 AM »
Option A.

Now, if you remove the caveat of a "PGA" course, I might select the Tiger Woods option.

I'd choose a mini-putt course.

Interesting approach.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2023, 08:34:23 AM »
My step son offered another one:  $10M to last one round with Connor McGregor in the octagon.  He's taking the $1M. ;)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2023, 01:55:47 AM »
My step son offered another one:  $10M to last one round with Connor McGregor in the octagon.  He's taking the $1M. ;)

I’ll last one round. Of course as soon as the bell rings I’m taking a fall before he makes any contact with me. But it’s technically a round.
fanticide.bandcamp.com