Author Topic: NHL 2023-2024: Congrats Panthers. May the rats continue to fly.  (Read 42632 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: NHL 2023-2024: Stanley Cup Finals. Edmonton Oilers vs Florida Panthers
« Reply #1260 on: June 14, 2024, 11:50:25 AM »
  Also, "Blizzard" sounds too similar to Avalanche.

Yeah, that's fair.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1261 on: June 14, 2024, 11:52:36 AM »

I have watched every minute, and the series has been closer than a 3-0 series looks. ... But it has not looked like a cakewalk for the Panthers.

I guarantee that you have watched this more closely than I have, but the Oilers look outmatched to me.
I suppose my hockey sense could be fading though.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1262 on: June 14, 2024, 12:13:40 PM »

In "Big Save Dave" we trust!

When the Leafs snagged him a couple years back in the COVID fanless season as their 3rd goalie heading into the playoffs, he was "No Save Dave".  Fucking horrible he was.  I have no idea how he went 3-1-1 with an .888 SV and 2.72 GAA.  That's when the Leafs could out-score their problems. 
Sig removed as the forum crashes! :biggrin:

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1263 on: June 14, 2024, 12:27:27 PM »
Not that it means anything, but there hasn't been a sweep in the SCF since the four year run of sweeps from 1995-98 (Devils > Wings; Avs > Panthers; Wings > Flyers; and Wings > Capitals).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1264 on: June 14, 2024, 03:42:40 PM »
I guarantee that you have watched this more closely than I have, but the Oilers look outmatched to me.
I suppose my hockey sense could be fading though.

Well, you're both right in a sense; it hasn't been a "cakewalk", the Panthers HAVE had to work at it, but that's what they do. They've outworked every team they've played (when it mattered).  And on that measure, the Oilers ARE outmatched. They don't have the depth.  Chuck Knoblauch was excited to get back to Edmonton so he could "play the lines" better, and even that hasn't worked.  If there was a crucial spot in the game, you knew four of the five people on the ice for the Oilers EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.   The Panthers have been going nine deep regardless of the situation on the ice.  That's not a sustainable dynamic (for Edmonton).

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1265 on: June 14, 2024, 04:51:08 PM »
I'm not sure a gold-glove 2nd baseman who hasn't played in 22 years had much say in the line matchups.   :biggrin:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1266 on: June 14, 2024, 04:53:44 PM »
I'm not sure a gold-glove 2nd baseman who hasn't played in 22 years had much say in the line matchups.   :biggrin:

I heard he tried to toss the ref a puck, but it ended up in the penalty box.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1267 on: June 14, 2024, 05:10:53 PM »
I have watched every minute, and the series has been closer than a 3-0 series looks.  This doesn't look a thing like NYR/Was in Round 1.  It looks more like Fla-Car from last year's ECF - all of which were 1-goal games (2 going to OT).  Edmonton leads in shots, attempts and chances.  Fla has gotten the goaltending, the PK, and capitalized on mistakes.  They're playing to the Sutter Laws perfectly, and Edmonton is not.  But it has not looked like a cakewalk for the Panthers.

Same...Watched every minute and agree it hasn't been a 'cakewalk'   When it comes to the Finals it's doing all the small things and doing them every shift that wins the cup and that CREATES the breaks and 'puck luck'. It's not that the Oilers have 'sucked' by any means.....they've had their chances for sure. But Bobs showed up to play in the Finals.....can't say the same for Skinner.....The Panthers have SHUT DOWN the top five scorers for the Oil....that's not luck or McDavid and Co. just having a couple bad games.....that's a team dedicated to a system and each other doing what it takes to win. You can see the passion and desire in the way Florida is playing.....it's not there for the Oilers. Call it what you will.....shot their load getting past a tough Dallas team.....breaking under the pressure to bring a cup to Canada.....but I think it's simpler than that. They're losing these games to a group of guys who are playing a better team game.

Sure....the games have been closer than some of the scores indicate.....but the Better team of the two has the series lead right now because they've earned every bit of that 3-0 lead. This isn't a case of the Oilers just 'choking' or playing bad.....it's a case of Florida playing as a unified team and simply being better for it.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1268 on: June 14, 2024, 05:14:49 PM »
Not that it means anything, but there hasn't been a sweep in the SCF since the four year run of sweeps from 1995-98 (Devils > Wings; Avs > Panthers; Wings > Flyers; and Wings > Capitals).

I don't think this will be a sweep. I'd imagine the Oilers find a way to win the next one.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1269 on: June 14, 2024, 06:12:00 PM »
Can’t argue with anything in your last 2 posts there Gare.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1270 on: June 15, 2024, 07:36:02 PM »
Oilers came out strong tonight. Hopefully they don't blow this 5-1 lead.

They flashed a stat on the canadian feed. Under Knobloch, the Oil lost 3 in a row 3 times this season.  In those 3 instances they followed up with 5, 8, and 16 game winning streaks.

So you're telling me there's a chance  ;)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1271 on: June 15, 2024, 07:36:51 PM »
This series is mirroring the NBA finals.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1272 on: June 15, 2024, 07:54:12 PM »
So you're telling me there's a chance  ;)

It's always good to hold on to hope..........

but nah....there is zero chance they rattlle of 4 in a row. Game 5 is most likely their last game of the season. What we're seeing tonight is the Oil fighting with all they got to not be embarrassed and the FLA players playing like they just want to win it in front of their home crowd.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1273 on: June 16, 2024, 05:43:26 AM »

but nah....there is zero chance they rattlle of 4 in a row. Game 5 is most likely their last game of the season. What we're seeing tonight is the Oil fighting with all they got to not be embarrassed and the FLA players playing like they just want to win it in front of their home crowd.

I don't know that any team is stupid enough to play that way - even the '21 Lightning.  I think teams can get the yips when their first chance comes to win the cup.  That's another stat that the Cdn broadcast flashed up - 4 of the recent 5 Cup winners lost their first elimination game - Blues up were 3-2, and lost Game 6; Bolts in both '20 and '21; Colorado in '22.

There's always a chance, and if the Oil can pull off an upset on Tuesday, it ought to make Game 6 (and potentially Game 7) very interesting.  They still need Skinner to steal one like Bobs did in Game 1.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1274 on: June 16, 2024, 08:39:47 AM »
I don't know that any team is stupid enough to play that way - even the '21 Lightning.  I think teams can get the yips when their first chance comes to win the cup.  That's another stat that the Cdn broadcast flashed up - 4 of the recent 5 Cup winners lost their first elimination game - Blues up were 3-2, and lost Game 6; Bolts in both '20 and '21; Colorado in '22.

There's always a chance, and if the Oil can pull off an upset on Tuesday, it ought to make Game 6 (and potentially Game 7) very interesting.  They still need Skinner to steal one like Bobs did in Game 1.

I don’t think it’d have been intentional. I think it’d have been a ‘back of the mind’ type thing….especially when they went down 3 or 4 to 1. They knew they did what they went up there to do and that was win one of those games and no matter how professional those guys are somewhere in the recesses of their minds I’m sure the ‘we can just win it at home’ set in.

Horrible thought and approach though because if the Oil win the next game then suddenly that creates a whole new dynamic of emotions to manage, especially for FLA.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1275 on: June 16, 2024, 09:22:15 AM »

I don’t think it’d have been intentional. I think it’d have been a ‘back of the mind’ type thing….especially when they went down 3 or 4 to 1. They knew they did what they went up there to do and that was win one of those games and no matter how professional those guys are somewhere in the recesses of their minds I’m sure the ‘we can just win it at home’ set in.

Horrible thought and approach though because if the Oil win the next game then suddenly that creates a whole new dynamic of emotions to manage, especially for FLA.

I somewhat agree... but I think the mentality that creeps in is that 'we'll win one of the next 3 games for sure'.  And yeah, once they were down 4-1, they mailed it in - while the Oilers kept their foot on the gas.  Honestly, 7 goals on Bobs in the span of 2.5 periods could be the Oil finally cracking his armour.  God help Florida if he's out of mojo, and is starts playing like 2023 SCF Bobs.  And if the Panthers don't finish it on Tuesday, that's another 4000km trip.  They're likely to start getting travel fatigue.  One comment made during game three was that this was the first time since January that the Panthers have had to travel more than one time-zone.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1276 on: June 17, 2024, 07:26:06 AM »
I heard he tried to toss the ref a puck, but it ended up in the penalty box.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, that's the Chuck Knoblauch I remember!  :) :) :) :)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1277 on: June 18, 2024, 07:45:16 PM »
Panthers: too many penalties.  They’re not playing hard anymore they’re playing cheap.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1278 on: June 18, 2024, 08:31:53 PM »
So glad they called Embellishment on Tkachuk.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1279 on: June 18, 2024, 08:37:07 PM »

That dive was a 9.5

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1280 on: June 18, 2024, 08:38:23 PM »
That dive was a 9.5

Scar gave it a 10.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1281 on: June 18, 2024, 08:43:09 PM »

It was embellishment. But they’d never call that on McDavid, Matthew’s….Crosby 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1282 on: June 18, 2024, 08:46:02 PM »
It was embellishment.

OK then. That's what I thought.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1283 on: June 18, 2024, 08:47:48 PM »
Pucker time.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1284 on: June 18, 2024, 08:54:57 PM »
How does Game 6 back in Edmonton sound?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1285 on: June 18, 2024, 08:55:06 PM »
Wow, what a ridiculous play by Tkachuk to save that goal...all for nought..

Good on Edmonton for this win!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1286 on: June 18, 2024, 08:55:23 PM »
Pucker time.

Yeah.

Still don’t think the oil will win 4 in a row but at least it’s made for some good hockey.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1287 on: June 18, 2024, 08:56:01 PM »
Back to back 4 point games by McJesus.  :omg:

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1288 on: June 18, 2024, 08:58:13 PM »
This series is going to 6 and another three days from now until the next game..... This should favor the Oilers.  All the things they didn't have (mainly some of the main 5 guys scoring goals), things are clicking now.  Also, these are also the times where Skinner is going to look better in net as the series goes on as it was in the case of the previous playoff rounds.  Well, if the Oilers are going to try to get two more wins like this, this cements more of the crazy ride they have been going all season long.

Back to back 4 point games by McJesus.  :omg:

People are speculating that he may win the Conn Smythe even if the Oilers don't win the cup.  If he keeps putting pts at this rate and the Oilers force a game 7, people may be more convinced that he'd be the undisputed Conn Smythe winner regardless of who wins the cup.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1289 on: June 18, 2024, 08:59:42 PM »
I think they win G6.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1290 on: June 18, 2024, 09:04:55 PM »
Florida, while still in control, ought to be shitting themselves right now. There's no reason not to believe the Oilers can win 2 more games with how they're playing, especially if McDavid keeps churning out 4pt nights.  At this point i want 7 games just so McDavid can take top spot for most pts in a single post season

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1291 on: June 18, 2024, 09:18:23 PM »
Florida, while still in control, ought to be shitting themselves right now. There's no reason not to believe the Oilers can win 2 more games with how they're playing, especially if McDavid keeps churning out 4pt nights.  At this point i want 7 games just so McDavid can take top spot for most pts in a single post season

It takes a lot of things to go right to win three in a row in the playoffs…..much less four. While yeah, the Oil have momentum and are heading home it could be the worst thing to happen to them.

The Blues players talked about it after they’d won the cup in 2019. Coming home up 3-2 with a chance to win it all. Everyone wants tickets…..all the press all the ancillary excitement and on and on, it’s a lot of pressure on them now to win at home.

I didn’t get to see the first two periods of tonight’s game cuz I was running my sons hockey practice…..but what I did see in the third was FLA getting back to basics which is what I think they’ll do on Friday. Simple game and force all the pressure onto Skinner and Co.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1292 on: June 19, 2024, 05:44:28 AM »
Yeah, the third was Fla playing like they did in games 1-3. But it was too little too late. Their special teams betrayed them last night. They won the game 3-1 at 5-on-5, but lost 4-0 on special teams (I’m including the EN goal there).  On that matter, OEL had a massive brain fart just giving up on the play after Tkachuk saved the puck.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1293 on: June 19, 2024, 08:42:08 AM »
It takes a lot of things to go right to win three in a row in the playoffs…..much less four. While yeah, the Oil have momentum and are heading home it could be the worst thing to happen to them.

The Blues players talked about it after they’d won the cup in 2019. Coming home up 3-2 with a chance to win it all. Everyone wants tickets…..all the press all the ancillary excitement and on and on, it’s a lot of pressure on them now to win at home.

I didn’t get to see the first two periods of tonight’s game cuz I was running my sons hockey practice…..but what I did see in the third was FLA getting back to basics which is what I think they’ll do on Friday. Simple game and force all the pressure onto Skinner and Co.

That was a tale of two games.  The first period and about the first 7 to 10 minutes of period two was Game 4 all over again.  The tail end of the second period and the third was back to the way the Florida Panthers have played most of the playoffs.  I get that we had two STELLAR games from McDavid - and full disclosure, I admitted to Chad last night that he's the best player in the game today - but the Oil had to play STELLAR to get these wins; Florida can absolutely get back to their game and win one of the next two.   

I don't think momentum really means that much here.  I think the two days off helps Florida as much as Edmonton albeit in a different way, and I'm still on Team Florida for the Cup.

(And not for nothing, but I watched the game with the sound and I could STILL tell they were over-killing the whole McDavid thing; every point and they had to put back up the graphic as to where he is on the list. We can COUNT!  We have MEMORIES!  Sean McDonough is to Connor McDavid as Tony Romo is to Patrick Mahomes at this point.)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1294 on: June 19, 2024, 08:43:35 AM »

The Bruins lost 3 home games and won 2 road games that series.  A lot of us were hoping G7 was in St. Louis.