Author Topic: NHL 2023-2024: Playoff Time. Hello Darkness.....  (Read 25926 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: NHL 2023-2024: On the final stretch now.
« Reply #805 on: April 11, 2024, 11:32:46 AM »
LA gets in, much, I'm sure, to Gary's  chagrin. I know the blues still have a chance,  but if they catch anyone, it'll be Vegas. I wouldn't mind if they did bump Vegas, too. I have a healthy dislike for the golden Knights

Although, I probably have an unhealthy dislike for them.  :lol

I've been hoping so hard they miss the post season after all the cap/LTIR manipulation they've done, and all the trade deadline moves they made.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #806 on: April 11, 2024, 11:34:21 AM »
Abilene is a more populated city than Hartford...although Abilene has got a lot of what you don't need.

My vote would be Quebec City, but I don't know the arena situation in Hartford or QC.  I know SLC has a building that might be NHL quality.

The arena situation in Hartford?  Shit show. Old, outdated, and we (the City) can't figure out how to fund even basic renovations.  It's in the news on a weekly basis, independent of hockey.  (Uconn plays their larger home basketball games - men and women - there and Uconn hockey plays their larger home hockey games there.)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 12:15:18 PM by Stadler »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #807 on: April 11, 2024, 11:58:35 AM »
Not even a vague chuckle for the Abilene reference?   :biggrin:

I think everyone who isn't a Vegas fan hates Vegas and would be perfectly happy to see them on the golf course.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #808 on: April 11, 2024, 01:14:02 PM »
LA gets in, much, I'm sure, to Gary's  chagrin. I know the blues still have a chance,  but if they catch anyone, it'll be Vegas. I wouldn't mind if they did bump Vegas, too. I have a healthy dislike for the golden Knights

I don't want them to make it honestly. They don't deserve it. They've lost to the worst teams in the league this year......have massive personality issues in the locker room.....have a GM who has hamstrung the organization with brutal long term contracts rife with undefendable NTC's.....they deserve nothing.

It'd be hilarious for Vegas to crap the bed and let the Blue's sneak in but it's not going to happen. I can think of 7 games this season off the top of my head that the Blues utterly blew due to just horrendous effort...meaning....zero effort....that's at minimum 7 pts that they 'should' have had and it's not even a conversation. I'm not tore up at all about them going to miss....that's what they get for being dysfunctional.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #809 on: April 11, 2024, 01:36:17 PM »
As frustrating as that is, every single team has those kinds of stories.  Look at the Oilers 2-9-1 start.  Leafs have twice blown a 2-goal lead with less than 2 minutes to play.  It's the way of the league, and as frustrating as it is, is also the reason it's as exciting as it is.  Every team has also been on the flipside of that coin at one point - playing against an uninspired team.  The Leafs were the benefactor of that on Tuesday when the Devils basically gave up 1/2 way thru the game once they were down 4-2, and mailed it in for the rest of the game.

I can best sum it up with this phrase - some days your the dog; some days you're the hydrant.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #810 on: April 11, 2024, 01:48:30 PM »
As frustrating as that is, every single team has those kinds of stories.  Look at the Oilers 2-9-1 start.  Leafs have twice blown a 2-goal lead with less than 2 minutes to play.  It's the way of the league, and as frustrating as it is, is also the reason it's as exciting as it is.  Every team has also been on the flipside of that coin at one point - playing against an uninspired team.  The Leafs were the benefactor of that on Tuesday when the Devils basically gave up 1/2 way thru the game once they were down 4-2, and mailed it in for the rest of the game.

I can best sum it up with this phrase - some days your the dog; some days you're the hydrant.

For sure. I don't think it's a unique situation.....just a situation that has caused me to not really GAF about this particular incarnation of the team/roster.

I'd ship Jordan Kyrou as soon as I could. He has one more season before his full NTC kicks in. I don't care if he will score 30 goals a year....give a shit less....kid is a waste of talent. Doesn't work hard and is a cry baby. I'll take 2-3 'meat and potatoes' players over his soft ass. Can't stand him and should the rumors and stories be true....neither can any of his teammates. So, I'd trade him for some pics or a couple 2nd, 3rd liners who actually have a work ethic.

And I'll just stop there. There's no reason to lament the dumb ass contracts that were handed to Krug, Schenn, Saad.....and a few others. Don't care that it lowered the AAV's.....they have hamstrung the club for years.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline pg1067

« Reply #811 on: April 12, 2024, 10:49:44 AM »
It always amazes me how the same team (the Kings) can look like shit one night (against Anaheim on Tuesday) and then look unbeatable (last night).  Maybe it was as simple as Calgary not giving a shit.  IDK.

Anyway...only one more playoff spot open in the WC.  Vegas is 3 points up with a game in hand and currently owns the first two tiebreakers.  Given the teams' remaining schedules, I'd say it's a foregone conclusion at this point.

For all practical purposes, the C2 v. C3 matchup is set between Winnipeg and Colorado (with home ice still TBD).  Everything else is subject to change, although the EDM/LA re-re-match still seems most likely.

And it looks like, other than 6 teams having clinched, absolutely nothing is set in the EC.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #812 on: April 12, 2024, 11:30:31 AM »
The Leafs laying a defensive and special teams turd against NJ last night all but sealed them into A3.  They'd need to win out and have Florida drop their last two (against Buf and Tor).
Tampa is virtually locked into WC1 - Toronto's magic number is 2 with both teams having 3 GR (including game 82 against each other at Amalie)
With NYR's loss to the Flyers last night, M1 is interesting now.
And M3/WC2 is still a dogfight between 5 teams.  I'm amazed how the Caps (-42), Flyers (-26), and Isles (-20) are in the hunt with such atrocious goal differentials.  Buffalo, Ottawa, Arizona, Seattle, Calgary all have better goal diff'ls!!!

Also... something just dawned on me.  One of these three players will NOT be a 1st or 2nd team All-Star at C:

Connor McDavid
Nathan MacKinnon
Auston Matthews

:omg:

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #813 on: April 12, 2024, 07:41:00 PM »
So I think the news is pretty much confirmed.  The Arizona Coyotes will be moving to Salt Lake City, Utah, next season.  How the league is going about it is interesting.  They are going to buy the Coyotes from the previous owner for what is projected to be one billion dollars and then the owner that will move the team to Utah will buy the team from the league for around $1.2-1.3 Billion dollars.  The owners of the rest of the team split the revenue gains among themselves.

The team will have a lot of picks, solid young talent, and a lot of cap space and will need to re-sign an entire defense core, but if this new owner is willing to spend and try to build a good team, they could be a surprise playoff team next year.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #814 on: April 12, 2024, 07:43:58 PM »
Why on earth would they give the current owner a billion??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #815 on: April 12, 2024, 07:47:42 PM »
Because the current owner owns the team and ugly legal things could happen if a pro sports league just yanks a team out of an owner's hand.  Plus, they see this as a window to make some extra money when the opportunity can call for it.  Helps to compensate for the small revenue that was made when the Coyotes played at Mullet Arena for two seasons.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #816 on: April 13, 2024, 09:24:19 AM »
Well damn. Vegas clinched.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #817 on: April 14, 2024, 07:05:48 PM »
Brad Marchand scored is 36th shorthanded goal last night.

He's in some serious company...

Shorthanded goals, career (NHL history):

73 – Wayne Gretzky
63 – Mark Messier
50 – Steve Yzerman
49 – Mario Lemieux
39 – Dave Poulin, Butch Goring, Jari Kurri
36 – Brad Marchand, Sergei Fedorov
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline romdrums

« Reply #818 on: April 16, 2024, 07:01:37 AM »
Holy shit, what a game last night for the Red Wings!! Came back from a 4-1 deficit in the 2nd period to win 5-4 in overtime!! I hope they saved some of that for tonight's game in Montreal. And I really hope the Flyers beat the Capitals tonight!

Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #819 on: April 16, 2024, 09:36:38 AM »
Yeah, that was pretty freaking incredible.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #820 on: April 16, 2024, 09:42:14 AM »
Holy shit, what a game last night for the Red Wings!! Came back from a 4-1 deficit in the 2nd period to win 5-4 in overtime!! I hope they saved some of that for tonight's game in Montreal. And I really hope the Flyers beat the Capitals tonight!

I'll agree with all of the above!  Whatever happens tonight, I won't forget last night.

Arizona:  amazing how that owner is going to be rich while being so incompetent.

As to the 'new team' scroll down to the "Will it be the Utah Coyotes, or a new team identity?" section if you haven't already.  Use the city name, and the nicknames listed are good. 

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/39940303/nhl-arizona-coyotes-move-utah-new-name-schedule-players-coaches

Brad Marchand scored is 36th shorthanded goal last night.

He's in some serious company...

Shorthanded goals, career (NHL history):

73 – Wayne Gretzky
63 – Mark Messier
50 – Steve Yzerman
49 – Mario Lemieux
39 – Dave Poulin, Butch Goring, Jari Kurri
36 – Brad Marchand, Sergei Fedorov

Had no idea Yzerman was 3rd.  One list you wouldn't find Gordie Howe on ;)

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #821 on: April 16, 2024, 10:45:24 AM »
I like the idea of the Utah team being known as The Swarm.  That has so many good layers to it.  My dark horse pick will be Mountain Goats.  I don't know why I think that.  I just like the way it sounds.

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #822 on: April 16, 2024, 01:20:14 PM »
Having grown up in the SLC area and watched minor league hockey there in my childhood and teen years, count me in with calling the new team the Salt Lake Golden Eagles.  Not sure whether there would be trademark issues or if the nostalgia would be marketable, but it'd be cool nonetheless.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #823 on: April 16, 2024, 01:24:53 PM »
What a fun ending to the season, I have to root for the Flyers to win tonight so that the Red Wings can hopefully make the playoffs. :lol

Also, my man Ghost with a season saving hop at the end of regulation to keep in a puck that went on to be the game tying goal.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #824 on: April 16, 2024, 02:17:44 PM »
What a fun ending to the season, I have to root for the Flyers to win tonight so that the Red Wings can hopefully make the playoffs. :lol

Also, my man Ghost with a season saving hop at the end of regulation to keep in a puck that went on to be the game tying goal.

There is a scenario where the Flyers get the last spot you know, right?  :lol

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #825 on: April 16, 2024, 02:19:05 PM »
The Flyers getting in is quite a big long shot.  First, they got to win against the Capitals in regulation.  Also, they need both the Penguins and Red Wings to lose their final game of the season in regulation.  Could happen and people's heads are already spinning at this race for the final Wild Card spot.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #826 on: April 16, 2024, 02:57:10 PM »
The Flyers getting in is quite a big long shot.  First, they got to win against the Capitals in regulation.  Also, they need both the Penguins and Red Wings to lose their final game of the season in regulation.  Could happen and people's heads are already spinning at this race for the final Wild Card spot.

I can't help but think the Red Wings are on borrowed time with a three straight OT games (2 wins) in the past week.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #829 on: April 16, 2024, 03:48:23 PM »
Let us relive some good times from this guy.

EXCLUSIVE - NESN's Jack Edwards Calls Patrice Bergeron's Game 7 GWG

Bear & the Gang Episode 1 (Boston Bruins)

This is a bias pick, but I'm also including this montage video as well since this has Jack Edwards in commentary for a few of these Kings win in OT against the Bruins in Boston.

https://twitter.com/ryanstahl_/status/1758980217295569272

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #830 on: April 16, 2024, 04:43:36 PM »
why you got to hurt me like that?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #831 on: April 16, 2024, 04:49:53 PM »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #832 on: April 16, 2024, 04:55:00 PM »
Regarding the coyotes move..
https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/nhl-wants-arizona-coyotes-move-to-salt-lake-city-settled-before-playoffs-1.2104655

"The Associated Press reported Saturday that the Coyotes will likely be sold to Utah Jazz owner Ryan Smith shortly after the team's final game on Wednesday, and that the deal will include a provision guaranteeing current owner Alex Meruelo an expansion team in Arizona if a new arena is built within five years."

WTF??

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #833 on: April 16, 2024, 04:57:09 PM »
Again, this needed to be done in this way to avoid any possible messy lawsuits that Meruelo may want to invoke.  Plus, I'm sure the NHL will have a much more rigorous screening process before possibly expanding to Arizona in the future that confirms that A. the building in Arizona has been built and state of the art and that and that it is a feasible location for people to go to games and B. the team is guaranteed to be in the building for a few decades or so.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #834 on: April 16, 2024, 08:43:20 PM »
4th go-around vs the Bs.  This ought to be entertaining.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #835 on: April 16, 2024, 08:46:01 PM »
So, Detroit screws Philly by getting to Overtime.  Once Detroit had 90 points, Philly was eliminated.  I guess Torts wasn't scoreboard watching, or it was all happening in real time, as he pulls the goalie trying to go for the regulation win, and then hands Washington their own W, thereby eliminating themselves, Detroit, and Pitt before they even get a chance to claim the last spot.

Crazy stuff.

Atlantic matchups are going to be fun to watch.

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #836 on: April 16, 2024, 08:58:59 PM »
So much drama in the East tonight! I feel so heartbroken for Detroit fans right now. It really looked like their long playoff drought was going to end tonight after tying their game with 5 seconds to go (their 2nd miraculous comeback in two days). They just needed Washington to lose, but then an early whistle cost Philly a goal and in the third period with the score tied, the desperate Flyers (who needed to win in regulation to keep their hopes alive) gave Washington an empty net.

But on the bright side, we're going to be treated to another Toronto vs Boston series and those are always fun. I hope the Maple Leafs can finally slay the dragons this time!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #837 on: April 17, 2024, 04:08:55 AM »
4th go-around vs the Bs.  This ought to be entertaining.

Hi there.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #838 on: April 17, 2024, 04:28:54 AM »
But on the bright side, we're going to be treated to another Toronto vs Boston series and those are always fun. I hope the Maple Leafs can finally slay the dragons this time!

You and 5M other fans, brother.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #839 on: April 17, 2024, 07:34:36 AM »
Man, so disappointed after last night's gut punch. I'm happy that the Red Wings did everything they could in these last few games to help their playoff chances, and holy fuck were these last 3 games just wild, but if they had gotten one more point in any of the games against Washington or Pittsburgh, they'd be in. So close...

On the positive side, the development of Lucas Raymond into an elite winger is super exciting, and I really hope he can become a guy who hovers around 80-100 points per season. Moritz Seider taking on all challengers (he's the first defenseman with 200+ hits and 200+ blocked shots in the same season in a while) is also encouraging. Simon Edvinsson showed he belongs in the top 4 next season, and I hope he becomes a left-handed version of Seider. I hope they'll send Edvinsson down to GR for the playoffs so he gets that experience. Dylan Larkin has proven himself as a 1C, and he faced incredible adversity this year and still put up solid numbers. I think he's now a Captain in the mold of his predecessors Zetterberg, Lidstrom and Yzerman.

Alex DeBrincat is a great complement to Larkin and Raymond on the first line. I think he plays better away from Kane. Speaking of Kane, I hope he sticks around in Detroit. I wouldn't mind bringing back Ghost Bear, because I don't think the Wings have the defensemen available to replace his production yet. David Perron, I'm 50/50 on. I think he's great in the locker room and a pro's pro, but I don't know that the Wings can continue to play him like they have been, as I don't think he's got the speed to keep up anymore.

I think they still need to work on improving their D and their goaltending situation. It will be interesting to watch how they start bringing their prospects up. But, I think they've legitimately turned the corner and should be expecting to make the playoffs next year. I know the Atlantic is the toughest division in the league right now, but they can do it.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.