Author Topic: NHL 2023-2024: Playoff Time. Hello Darkness.....  (Read 25257 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: NHL 2023-2024: Offseason mood. Chilling with Vibes (Hopefully).
« Reply #70 on: August 05, 2023, 08:21:50 AM »
Yeah, that's a hilariously bad contract.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #71 on: August 05, 2023, 09:18:02 AM »
It's remarkably similar to the contract the Oil gave Lucic ... and we all remember how fast that one turned ugly as shit.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #72 on: August 05, 2023, 09:19:03 AM »
I can't believe he's back in Boston. The Bruins have had a shit offseason.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: August 05, 2023, 09:20:42 AM »
I can't believe he's back in Boston. The Bruins have had a shit offseason.

I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #74 on: August 05, 2023, 09:22:59 AM »
I knew that was coming. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #75 on: August 05, 2023, 03:04:45 PM »
It's pretty funny how the Capitals gave Tom Wilson that contract at that length.  You would think the length at that number would be around the same amount of years that Bäckström and Ovi has left in their active NHL careers.  I would think this contract is to ensure Ovi does his thing in attempting to break the goals record while Wilson handles the dirty business and then once Ovi goes back to Russia (since I think he wants to finish his active playing career there once his current deal is up) and the Capitals are forced to rebuild their team around younger talent (whoever that might be in five years), Tom Wilson will still be there doing the dirty business while the youth does their thing.

This could end up (down the line, not in the now) being something similar to what the Blackhawks are doing getting guys like Foligno and Perry to ensure Bedard play at the high-end superstar caliber level he needs to be while they care of the dirty work and to ensure someone does not try to make a name for himself at Bedard's expense.  The problem for the Capitals is that they don't have a high-end potential young player yet that I know of.  Also, I just don't think Wilson would be as effective at 35 than what he has shown at his most useful.  Guys that play that style falls off hard in their 30s.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #76 on: August 06, 2023, 09:51:56 AM »
Well, it's done.  Somehow, the Sharks were able to move Erik Karlsson to the Penguins with four years left on the contract.  A lot of movement happening.  I don't hate it for the Penguins if this move was done 10 years ago, because if Letang and Karlsson are healthy and playing well, that's a good 1-2 punch on the blueline where teams have to play against one of them for 45 minutes per game.  Of course, they are in their 30s and trends are leaning towards them declining, so who knows.  Big bold move for Kyle Dubas in his 1st season as GM and President for the Pens.

https://twitter.com/penguins/status/1688213357734641664

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #77 on: August 06, 2023, 04:42:38 PM »
He really only gave up a 1st Rounder, and a lot of flotsam & jetsam, though some decent f&j. It's all about Crosby's window.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: August 19, 2023, 09:15:33 AM »
Rick Jeanneret, the voice of the Buffalo Sabres for five decades, died Thursday. He was 81.

Adieu to the voice of two of the most memorable calls in NHL history.   :'(

He retired as the longest-tenured play-by-play announcer in NHL history when he called his final game April 29, 2022, and was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame as the recipient of the Foster Hewitt Award in 2012.

Online Anguyen92

Re: NHL 2023-2024: Still in Offseason. R.I.P. Rick Jeanneret.
« Reply #79 on: August 19, 2023, 11:27:51 AM »

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #80 on: August 19, 2023, 04:22:26 PM »
Not gonna lie, I just about had a stroke scrolling through Facebook the other night and seeing "RIP RJ" as a post from someone who's a Sabres fan.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: August 19, 2023, 05:19:43 PM »
This was a pretty good call.

Rick Jeanneret's famous 'May Day' Broadcast Call

The fact this goal completed an unbelievably improbable sweep of the Bruins pleases me to no end.  :D

Oh, and the fact he undressed Borque even more so than Lemieux’s famous beat down on Borque was simply *chefs kiss*

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #82 on: August 19, 2023, 06:01:33 PM »
It's Bourque you heathen.  Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: August 19, 2023, 06:44:37 PM »
It's Bourque you heathen.  Lol

You?!?  You are going to call out typos!?!?!!!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: August 19, 2023, 06:49:03 PM »
Finally!  It's my time now. Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #85 on: August 21, 2023, 06:45:52 AM »
Jeanneret was good but he's no Jack Edwards.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #87 on: August 22, 2023, 05:35:39 PM »
https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/connor-mcdavid-shows-up-to-beer-league-hockey-game-team-loses-in-blowout-182724373.html

Patrice Bergeron wouldn't have lost that game.  ;) :) :) :) :)

At least, someone on the Kings finally gets to one-up McDavid in something and it's the right one.

The Richmond Hill, Ontario, native wasn’t the only ringer on the ice, as Los Angeles Kings forward Quinton Byfield — who signed autographs post-game — lined up on the winning side against his Pacific Division rival.

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #88 on: August 22, 2023, 08:04:20 PM »
Div 1 be league is legit hockey.  Most players played junior A or better,  and, around the Edmonton leagues,  there's always a handful of pro players. Even the ball hockey leagues usually get an AHL player or two.

I'm glad some players go out and enjoy a game or two.  I remember an interview with Ales Hemsky years and years ago where he said the thing he looked forward to the most after his pro career ended was to play beer league roller hockey with his non-pro buddies back home.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #89 on: August 23, 2023, 03:23:50 PM »
Well, last year, it was announced that Nathan MacKinnon would be the highest paid AAV player in the NHL at $12.6M starting this season.  Now, Auston Matthews has agreed to an extension that is $13.25M per year for four years starting in the 2024-2025 season.  He will be the highest paid AAV player in the league until McDavid or Draisaitl gets their extensions.  I don't know why Matthews wants 4 years instead of 8 years.  Does he really think he can get a higher AAV at age 31 even if the cap spikes significantly by then?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 08:01:29 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: August 23, 2023, 04:37:48 PM »
No, but maybe he can get 5 x $16M by then.  There's no way he'd get anything north of $14M for an 8 year deal now.  I think some of today's players are adverse to signing max-term deals.the #1

Plus, he makes way more money off the ice than he does on the ice.  It's more a matter of principle for the guys at the top end - especially playing in the #1 (maybe #2) market in the league.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #91 on: August 31, 2023, 10:01:54 PM »
Well, only a few more weeks to go before training camp.  I might as well get this out of the way.  So I've been reading this Hockey Manga series called Dogsred (which so far is about a former figure-skater in Japan that's transitioning into hockey and playing against a good high school team and getting his ass kicked so far.) and I'm having a good read of it and they seem to have a good grasp of the logic that would only work in the game of hockey.  The author referenced Crosby and the Golden goal and even drew an image of him.  It's really well-drawn that it is blinding.  I want to see what Ovechkin looks like drawn in a manga for a contrast.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2023, 11:09:01 AM by Anguyen92 »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #92 on: September 10, 2023, 06:14:55 PM »
I consider myself a reasonably informed NHL fan. I watch every Bruins game and as many out of town games as I can.

I saw the news that the Senators signed Jake Sanderson to an 8 yr/$64m contract, and my first thought was....I've never heard of the guy.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #93 on: September 10, 2023, 07:16:52 PM »
^^ I think you had a similar reaction when Miro Heiskanen got his lengthy 8 years, $8M+ a year contract with the Stars.  Based on what I have observed and read on a Discord group that has way too many Senators fans than one would think, Sanderson was the Senators 2nd 1st round pick they selected in the 2020 draft (5th overall behind Tim Stützle who they picked at #3).  Only 77 games at the NHL level and 30+ pts as a defenseman.  Apparently, fans and non-bias media really felt like the Senators really had a hit on the 1st round picks over teams like Rangers, Kings, Ducks, etc. picking those two players at the spots they did.

The main logic behind this signing from what I'm reading is that the Senators are really impressed with this guy and that they think he's only going to get better from here and thus they feel the need to lock him to term at the AAV now before his perceived value goes up?  The contract does not kick in until the 24-25 season.  I question if that's what Sanderson got, what will Owen Power of the Sabres will get (when he was drafted #1 overall in 2021, had a good debut season, came in with more buzz than Sanderson, and finish 2nd in Calder voting)?  Plus, the Sabres will need to extend Dahlin as well.  The rumor is that Dahlin is going to get $10.5M x 8 years that will kick in at the 24-25 season.  Going to be interesting to see how this Senators' extension will influence what the Sabres need to do to lock their two centerpiece defensemen.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2023, 08:36:56 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #94 on: September 10, 2023, 07:19:23 PM »
I at least heard of Miro Heiskanen.

One thing the NHL seems to get right is that they are paying players in their prime years.

Offline crazy climber dude

« Reply #95 on: September 13, 2023, 04:28:46 PM »
Tomas Tatar....stats were decent last year. Anyone have some intangible/anecdotal insights? A lot of analysts are saying he will be an excellent fit for the Avalanche.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #96 on: September 13, 2023, 04:52:56 PM »
I heard good regular season things about Tatar and was kinda confused on why he didn't get a contract with a team sooner.  Apparently, the knock on him, and probably why he didn't get a contract sooner, is that he doesn't perform in the playoffs.  Honestly, at the low price the Avs paid for him, I hate that he is signed in the West.  I think he's going to be fine with the Avs and they'll deal with the playoff stuff when the time comes.

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #97 on: September 17, 2023, 03:17:52 PM »
Not surprised to see that it took a mere 2 months for classic Babcock to show up in Columbus. One can only hope he never resurfaces in the NHL after this latest shit show.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: September 17, 2023, 03:54:48 PM »
Not surprised to see that it took a mere 2 months for classic Babcock to show up in Columbus. One can only hope he never resurfaces in the NHL after this latest shit show.

What an odd request to see players pictured on their cell phones.

Online Anguyen92

Re: NHL 2023-2024: Mike Babcock already fired from Columbus (Shocking.....)
« Reply #99 on: September 17, 2023, 04:35:33 PM »
He was a questionable hire for the Columbus Blue Jackets when it was announced.  This whole "He wants to do icebreakers by getting players to show pictures of their families or whatnot," was weird, but not nefarious, but people will still observe him on a tight leash.  Apparently, the NHLPA found that it was something way deeper than it was and even traveled to Columbus to see what's going on and it seemed really bad that his time is already up.  Didn't make it to official training camp or even coached a game for the Blue Jackets.

I imagine the President and the GM of the team is under huge hot water for making this hire, which was already bad in the first place due to his prior history, but now it's even worst in hindsight because of this revelation.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 06:33:32 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: NHL 2023-2024: Mike Babcock already out of Columbus (Shocking.....)
« Reply #100 on: September 17, 2023, 06:31:28 PM »
Funny how the NHL handles this while the NFL wanted Tom Brady's personal cell phone.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #101 on: September 17, 2023, 06:45:36 PM »
Well yeah, Tom Brady was cheating :biggrin:
Photobucket sucks.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: September 17, 2023, 06:48:31 PM »

:lol

Hand over your personal cell phone to your management Bill.  Also, maybe the league could get the ball pressure right before the game starts. Nee ner, nee ner. Lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #103 on: September 17, 2023, 06:50:47 PM »

Hand over your personal cell phone to your management Bill.  Also, maybe the league could get the ball pressure right before the game starts. Nee ner, nee ner. Lol

Get over it! :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: September 17, 2023, 07:07:20 PM »

Never. The offices can choke on it.  :lol

Crazy though that Babcock though it was OK to ask for their cellphones.