Author Topic: NHL 2023-2024: Playoff Time. Hello Darkness.....  (Read 25486 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: NHL 2023-2024: Break Over. Season back in full swing before Trade Deadline.
« Reply #630 on: February 12, 2024, 04:10:40 PM »
Love that kid, man!

I mean...if I ever needed someone to have my back in a fight, I'd pick him 10/10 times.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #631 on: February 12, 2024, 08:11:25 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if they have him 15+. I also wouldn't be surprised if it's only 6. It's the DoPS, after all. If anything,  they're consistently inconsistent.

It was a brutal play,  and i hope they give him 20. Reilly could have just punched him repeatedly instead.  Gets the same message across for a misconduct or, at worst,  a 1 game sit (not sure what the specific rules are with majors in the dying minutes).
« Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 06:41:01 AM by SchecterShredder »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #632 on: February 12, 2024, 08:31:44 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #633 on: February 13, 2024, 12:09:46 AM »
I'm honestly baffled that this is seen as a big problem and by some even as an excuse to cross check a player to the head. What is so bad about a slap shot into an empty net?
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #634 on: February 13, 2024, 08:45:44 AM »
I'm honestly baffled that this is seen as a big problem and by some even as an excuse to cross check a player to the head. What is so bad about a slap shot into an empty net?

It's seen as poor sportsmanship at that point in the game. 100% an unnecessary dick move. But that's all it is, and again, punishment against that reaction from Morgan should be harsh.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #635 on: February 13, 2024, 09:31:03 AM »

It's seen as poor sportsmanship at that point in the game. 100% an unnecessary dick move. But that's all it is, and again, punishment against that reaction from Morgan should be harsh.

Look, I've played hockey since I was 10, and competitively up into college, so I'm okay with the violent nature of hockey, and I get the notion of defending your teammates.  But there's a line; you can defend your teammate without committing a felony. If some dipshit wants to slap shot an open net, fine, but next time, bury him in the boards.   Make his life miserable in the slot.  Whatever; there are a 100 ways of sending the message without doing potential permanent, disabling injury to the guy.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #636 on: February 13, 2024, 10:09:36 AM »
First, I'm not defending Reilly.  He deserves a suspension... imo, 4ish games is the right call. I wasn't even going to post, as I know I'm not going to change anyone's mind, as ya'll have your position... and most of you will probably think this is coming from a homer lens, but I'm going to be as factual as I can be.  And let's separate the "why" Reilly did it from the "what" he did.  WHY he did it is 100% understandable, and how does anyone think Brady Tkachuck would've responded if it was the other way around?  Can anyone name me one major team sport where a flagrant showboat / attempt to embarrass the opposing team isn't met with some kind of response?

I'll wait.

Also, in the history of forever, has anyone taken a full clapper like they were gunning for the All-Star hardest shot record?  Ever seen Ovi do that?  If it's a nothing thing, then why don't players do it all the time? (Hint: the answer is because it's classless, and will get you in shit).

I'll wait.

Like it or not, there is a "code" in all pro-sports, and flagrant attempt to embarrass the other team is one of those codes.  'Codes' don't just apply to standing up for your teammates.  Shit, in Giroux's hallway and dressing room post-game interview he wouldn't/couldn't defend Grieg's actions, or lambaste Reilly - just stating 'emotions were high'.

Now, on to the WHAT.  Facts on discipline from this year alone (and I don't need to go back too far to pull up other examples of logic defying discipline action from DPS):

Ryan Strome can go knee-on-knee to Kyle Connor, knocking him out for 8 weeks - no discipline
Matt Grzelcyk can spear an unsuspecting player (who is looking the other way) in the nuts - $5000 fine
Rasmus Anderson can knock Laine silly leaping shoulder first into Laine's head (who's still dealing with problems from that) - 4-games
Brendan Gallagher (a notorious 'greasy' player) can skate across the ice and head-hunt an unsuspecting player throwing a chicken-wing elbow to Adam Pelech - 5-games
David Perron intentionally cross-checks an unsuspecting player in the head for something Artem Zub didn't even do - 6-games (which I personally thought was far too harsh).

Ridley Grieg ... his own action incited the response (you can agree with it or not, it doesn't change the fact it's true - Reilly isn't going to do this if Grieg just nudges the puck into the net), saw Reilly coming, and (naturally) in an attempt to defend himself, the cross-check ends up riding up his shoulder into his head (ie, the shoulder was the principle point of contact - look closely at the replay (agree with it or not, it doesn't change the fact that it's true - I'm happy to screen cap it for anyone that disagrees). Additionally, he popped back up like a used-car air-blowup clown, and participated in full practice on Sunday.  No injury to the player.  Also, Reilly has no history - fuck, he's got 100 PIM in his career.

And you all think this Reilly's actions are more egregious than any of those others I listed?

Again, Reilly deserves punishment and a suspension.  His error was in cross-checking high - there's no place in the game for that, and it needs to be removed.  But let's pump the brakes insinuating this is the worst thing since Dale Hunter (which also, is a terrible comparison... the only similarity between the two is that it was a hit after a goal - everything else is completely different).
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #637 on: February 13, 2024, 10:14:20 AM »
I don't know why Matt Grzelyck is on your list.  Perfectly justifiable, IMO. 

(That is my tongue in cheek way of saying I agree with you 100%.  I think he should be punished, I don't think he should have done that, but I'm like you, I don't think it's the most egregious thing in the world, even if that didn't come through in my last post.)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #638 on: February 13, 2024, 12:10:09 PM »
First, I'm not defending Reilly.  He deserves a suspension... imo, 4ish games is the right call. I wasn't even going to post, as I know I'm not going to change anyone's mind, as ya'll have your position... and most of you will probably think this is coming from a homer lens, but I'm going to be as factual as I can be.  And let's separate the "why" Reilly did it from the "what" he did.  WHY he did it is 100% understandable, and how does anyone think Brady Tkachuck would've responded if it was the other way around?  Can anyone name me one major team sport where a flagrant showboat / attempt to embarrass the opposing team isn't met with some kind of response?

I'll wait.

Also, in the history of forever, has anyone taken a full clapper like they were gunning for the All-Star hardest shot record?  Ever seen Ovi do that?  If it's a nothing thing, then why don't players do it all the time? (Hint: the answer is because it's classless, and will get you in shit).

I'll wait.

Like it or not, there is a "code" in all pro-sports, and flagrant attempt to embarrass the other team is one of those codes.  'Codes' don't just apply to standing up for your teammates.  Shit, in Giroux's hallway and dressing room post-game interview he wouldn't/couldn't defend Grieg's actions, or lambaste Reilly - just stating 'emotions were high'.

Now, on to the WHAT.  Facts on discipline from this year alone (and I don't need to go back too far to pull up other examples of logic defying discipline action from DPS):

Ryan Strome can go knee-on-knee to Kyle Connor, knocking him out for 8 weeks - no discipline
Matt Grzelcyk can spear an unsuspecting player (who is looking the other way) in the nuts - $5000 fine
Rasmus Anderson can knock Laine silly leaping shoulder first into Laine's head (who's still dealing with problems from that) - 4-games
Brendan Gallagher (a notorious 'greasy' player) can skate across the ice and head-hunt an unsuspecting player throwing a chicken-wing elbow to Adam Pelech - 5-games
David Perron intentionally cross-checks an unsuspecting player in the head for something Artem Zub didn't even do - 6-games (which I personally thought was far too harsh).

Ridley Grieg ... his own action incited the response (you can agree with it or not, it doesn't change the fact it's true - Reilly isn't going to do this if Grieg just nudges the puck into the net), saw Reilly coming, and (naturally) in an attempt to defend himself, the cross-check ends up riding up his shoulder into his head (ie, the shoulder was the principle point of contact - look closely at the replay (agree with it or not, it doesn't change the fact that it's true - I'm happy to screen cap it for anyone that disagrees). Additionally, he popped back up like a used-car air-blowup clown, and participated in full practice on Sunday.  No injury to the player.  Also, Reilly has no history - fuck, he's got 100 PIM in his career.

And you all think this Reilly's actions are more egregious than any of those others I listed?

Again, Reilly deserves punishment and a suspension.  His error was in cross-checking high - there's no place in the game for that, and it needs to be removed.  But let's pump the brakes insinuating this is the worst thing since Dale Hunter (which also, is a terrible comparison... the only similarity between the two is that it was a hit after a goal - everything else is completely different).

Well, I certainly won't take on any sort of defense or try and find logic in the DPS, I think everyone here will agree on that.

On your opening points tho... the next time we see a case of some guy being shot by police for something like jaywalking or whatever crazy story comes up, you can't just respond with, well, a response was justified.

Like was already said, make his next game hell, but do it legally and don't take a cheap shot after, and I can't stress this enough... A PUCK GOT SHOT INTO THE NET. We can go around in circles all day about what level of dick move that is, but it *did* *not* *effect* *anyone* or the game, in any way.

One of my absolute biggest annoyances at all announcers is when someone takes a penalty "defending their teammate", and acts like that is better than scoring a goal or doing something to actually help the team.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #639 on: February 13, 2024, 01:14:40 PM »

I'll wait.

I'll wait.

Well, I certainly won't take on any sort of defense or try and find logic in the DPS, I think everyone here will agree on that.

On your opening points tho... the next time we see a case of some guy being shot by police for something like jaywalking or whatever crazy story comes up, you can't just respond with, well, a response was justified.

Like was already said, make his next game hell, but do it legally and don't take a cheap shot after, and I can't stress this enough... A PUCK GOT SHOT INTO THE NET. We can go around in circles all day about what level of dick move that is, but it *did* *not* *effect* *anyone* or the game, in any way.

The police shooting analogy makes zero sense.

Based on the bold, you believe it's a nothing issue.  Which is fine.  But don't bury your head in the sand of your perceptions - if it were a nothing issue and shouldn't offend or bother anyone, please explain why it doesn't happen more frequently.  You want to boil it down "a puck got shot into the net".  Don't be naiive enough to think that's all it is.  You're smarter than that.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline pg1067

« Reply #640 on: February 13, 2024, 04:34:40 PM »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #641 on: February 13, 2024, 09:36:47 PM »
Lamp's been lit all night long in Edmonton.  McDavid with a 6pt night so far, but there's still a couple minutes left so you never know with that guy

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #642 on: February 13, 2024, 10:42:18 PM »
Speaking of the lamp being lit.... Sabres school the Kings for a converted touchdown - and Tage-fucking-Thompson doesn't get a single fucking point.  That guy will single-handedly cost me money in my pool - he was in the box with Matthews and Rantanen (amongst others), and if I'd taken either of those two, I'd be in the Top 5 in my pool right now (as opposed to 15th).

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #643 on: February 14, 2024, 02:01:04 AM »
Thanks for your answers. Interesting to read your points of view on that matter.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #644 on: February 14, 2024, 07:57:50 AM »
By the way, I was joking about the Grzelyck play above, but I saw it again during last nights game (congrats to a lock Hall of Famer, Brad Marchand for 1,000 games; boo to the B's for giving away a point) and now I'm not joking.  That was dumb luck that the stick happened to catch a nut.  Bullshit for that to be a fine.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #645 on: February 14, 2024, 08:04:09 AM »
By the way, I was joking about the Grzelyck play above, but I saw it again during last nights game (congrats to a lock Hall of Famer, Brad Marchand for 1,000 games; boo to the B's for giving away a point) and now I'm not joking.  That was dumb luck that the stick happened to catch a nut.  Bullshit for that to be a fine.

Yeah, he obviously wasn't trying to the guy. Just sticking his stick between his legs to tie him up.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #646 on: February 14, 2024, 08:14:11 AM »
I'm not sure if you guys are serious.  And if so, then we're watching different plays.

https://youtu.be/u3RmWajKu9w?t=34

This is the better angle - he isn't even aiming to tie up Pacioretty's stick.  Grz is literally angling his stick AWAY from Pacioretty's, and directly into his groin.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #647 on: February 14, 2024, 09:00:48 AM »
He was trying to tie him up. He was not trying to spear him.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #648 on: February 14, 2024, 09:20:52 AM »
I'm standing by my assessment. He was tying him up and just happened to catch a nut.  That's a standard move that happens about 10 times a game for both teams in every NHL game.  Had it not clipped sack, we would not be talking about this.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #649 on: February 14, 2024, 09:30:54 AM »
I'm standing by my assessment. He was tying him up and just happened to catch a nut.  That's a standard move that happens about 10 times a game for both teams in every NHL game.  Had it not clipped sack, we would not be talking about this.

Egg Sac ly

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #650 on: February 14, 2024, 10:14:41 AM »
First, why would he be trying to tie him up when the puck is floating around the blue line with no one in possession of it?  Second, you're completely not seeing how Pacioretty's stick is at 1 o'clock, and Grz is swinging for 9 o'clock?  Grz has been in the league how many years, and he's that useless of a defensemen that he would miss Pac's stick be a good foot, while swinging his stick away from Pac's stick? 

C'mon guys, you're smarter than that.

My last piece of video evidence is that immediately after the hit behind the net by Pac, Grz is staring him down and instantly goes to him with nary of thought of what the rest of the play is.  https://youtu.be/u3RmWajKu9w?t=195

There's no arguing he speared him in the nuts.  If you honestly think it wasn't intentional, I got nothing else for ya.  It's pretty clear to everyone else on that ESPN broadcast that it was.  My bigger beef is with DPS.  They clearly saw it as punishable, but the extent of the punishment is a joke.

Message to the rest of the league, if you want retribution for anything, spear someone in the nuts.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #651 on: February 14, 2024, 12:28:41 PM »
First, why would he be trying to tie him up when the puck is floating around the blue line with no one in possession of it?  Second, you're completely not seeing how Pacioretty's stick is at 1 o'clock, and Grz is swinging for 9 o'clock?  Grz has been in the league how many years, and he's that useless of a defensemen that he would miss Pac's stick be a good foot, while swinging his stick away from Pac's stick? 

C'mon guys, you're smarter than that.

My last piece of video evidence is that immediately after the hit behind the net by Pac, Grz is staring him down and instantly goes to him with nary of thought of what the rest of the play is.  https://youtu.be/u3RmWajKu9w?t=195

There's no arguing he speared him in the nuts.  If you honestly think it wasn't intentional, I got nothing else for ya.  It's pretty clear to everyone else on that ESPN broadcast that it was.  My bigger beef is with DPS.  They clearly saw it as punishable, but the extent of the punishment is a joke.

Message to the rest of the league, if you want retribution for anything, spear someone in the nuts.

As soon as a forward comes into the slot the defenseman is supposed to engage.  That engagement can take several forms, from actual physical engagement to just shadowing, but the Bruins play an aggressive physical style.  For some, that means positioning yourself between the player and net, and putting your stick between the legs of the player to limit his ability to move laterally (to screen or tip shots).  That's what Grzelyck was doing, except he "missed".  Except for the actual nut contact, I've done that move 1000 times in my playing days. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #652 on: February 14, 2024, 12:32:49 PM »
Chad, you've been fucking cranky lately.

Look, he speared him. In the nuts. But there was no intent, I'm sure of it.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #653 on: February 14, 2024, 08:13:38 PM »
So I was watching a Youtube video from The Hockey Guy who talked about Brad Marchand and his career thus far after he crossed the 1,000 games mark.  One thing that really got me surprised.  He's billed under 6 feet tall and is under 180 pounds and everyone hates playing against this guy.  Small dude.  Very hated and well skillful dude that has had infamous moments though.

The Controversial Career of Brad Marchand After 1000 Games
« Last Edit: February 14, 2024, 08:21:16 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #654 on: February 15, 2024, 06:04:20 AM »
So I was watching a Youtube video from The Hockey Guy who talked about Brad Marchand and his career thus far after he crossed the 1,000 games mark.  One thing that really got me surprised.  He's billed under 6 feet tall and is under 180 pounds and everyone hates playing against this guy.  Small dude.  Very hated and well skillful dude that has had infamous moments though.

The Controversial Career of Brad Marchand After 1000 Games

I'm not immune to the criticisms, but watching him almost every game for several seasons now, and he's just a joy to watch.  NO ONE works harder, NO ONE is more diligent, and NO ONE gets more out of his skills than he does.  I particularly love how he's changed his game and stepped up to be the leader and is definitely doing justice to the "C" on his sweater.   

Offline pg1067

« Reply #655 on: February 17, 2024, 01:31:45 PM »
Brandt Clarke fakes Linus Ullmark into the Charles River for his first career NHL goal - and an OT game winner to boot!!!

GKG!

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #656 on: February 17, 2024, 01:35:14 PM »
I don't know what's up with the Kings when playing against the Bruins in Boston.  For the last 3 years, seems like against all odds, the Kings find a way to come from behind to force OT in Boston and ends up winning it in extra time.  Like for most of this game, the Kings' coverage on the Bruins goals were bad, bad, bad, I can't emphasize on how bad it was.  Sometimes, I keep thinking to myself, "Are they aware of who they are playing against?"  It was divine intervention that got them to force OT and good timing for Brandt Clarke (who was serving a penalty) to get out the box at the right time and got his 1st career goal in the NHL.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #657 on: February 17, 2024, 02:18:19 PM »
B's are in a funk.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #658 on: February 17, 2024, 03:39:32 PM »
B's are in a funk.

No shit. Man they have sucked big time lately.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #659 on: February 18, 2024, 06:57:50 PM »
Well, another come from behind victory for the Kings.  This time against the Pens.  I thought they would get goalied by Jarry and not much was going their way for 54 minutes in the game.  Kempe was able to get two quick goals (one of them short-handed) to seal the W though.  Things are trending upwards so far in the last week (aside from the 7-0 game against the Sabres).
« Last Edit: February 18, 2024, 07:04:23 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #660 on: February 20, 2024, 11:21:17 AM »
So Bettman has announced after the Morgan Rielly suspension appeal that they will keep the suspension as it is and had documented why it is the case in this document which showcase Bettman's lawyer and corporate side and sadly exposes players' emotional, to a detriment at times, side of things.

https://media.nhl.com/site/asset/public/ext/2023-24/RiellyRuling.pdf

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #661 on: February 20, 2024, 11:23:38 AM »
So Bettman has announced after the Morgan Rielly suspension appeal that they will keep the suspension as it is and had documented why it is the case in this document which showcase Bettman's lawyer and cooperate side and sadly exposes players' emotional "I'm butthurt that player x showed me off so he needs to feel pain," side.

He got fewer games than Perron? What a joke.

He then appealed that somehow? What a bigger joke.

At least that was upheld.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #662 on: February 20, 2024, 11:28:06 AM »
Well, for suspensions of a certain length (4+ games), there are no downside to appealing it.  Either the suspension gets upheld, or maybe the player gets one game back and the wages it comes with it.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #663 on: February 20, 2024, 11:42:44 AM »
Just saw this: Wild 10 Canucks 7

How can this be? Were they playing without goalies and without defense, shooting on soccer goals?  :D

Offline pg1067

« Reply #664 on: February 20, 2024, 02:20:29 PM »
So Bettman has announced after the Morgan Rielly suspension appeal that they will keep the suspension as it is and had documented why it is the case in this document which showcase Bettman's lawyer and corporate side and sadly exposes players' emotional, to a detriment at times, side of things.

Well-written and well-reasoned decision.

Just saw this: Wild 10 Canucks 7

How can this be? Were they playing without goalies and without defense, shooting on soccer goals?  :D

Either that or a time machine back to the late '80s/early '90s.  What's even more "wild" is that Vancouver was up 5-2 before Minnesota reeled off SIX unanswered goals in a span of 5:45 (the first of which came at the very end of the second period).  Vancouver then got two goals to make it close before Minnesota got two ENGs to close it out.  THREE players had hat tricks!