Author Topic: NHL 2023-2024: Playoff Time. Hello Darkness.....  (Read 25589 times)

faizoff and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Re: NHL 2023-2024: All Star roster announced. Does anyone care?
« Reply #595 on: January 24, 2024, 01:51:09 PM »
I knew generally that there was this scandal that might blow up a bit at some point down the line, but only because a Devil (Mike McLeod) was suspected as being party to whatever happened. Seems accurate given he was announced to be on an indefinite leave today.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #596 on: January 24, 2024, 02:04:58 PM »
Red Wings' Blog "Winging It In Motown" has been pretty good about making sure this story has gotten eyeballs on it amongst Wings fans. I've been waiting to see who this would affect. It's good to see Alex Formenton's name in there, and that he's now going to cooperate with authorities. He was the only player that didn't make a statement one way or another when this story began getting greater scrutiny. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #597 on: January 28, 2024, 06:18:39 AM »
I'm genuinely stunned that the Leafs took all 4 points from Winnipeg in this home-and-home.  Nice way to head into the AS break. 

After the Leafs blew the game against the Isles, and I saw what the rest of their schedule looked like up to the All-Star Break, I mentally figured they'd go 2-7 in that stretch, and they are not letting me down. 
So, 0-2-1 to start this stretch.  They might get a couple more loser points, but at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if they go 1-5 or even 0-6 given the caliber of teams they have ahead (Oil, Canucks, Kraken, Jets (2) ... with the Flames sprinkled in there).  5 games against 4 of the hottest teams in the league right now.  :facepalm:

While it wasn't a great start to that stretch, they went 4-4-1, which is better than the 2-7 (or some combination of losses/OTL's) I was figuring on.  Makes it that much more disappointing that they blew multi-goal and/or 3 period leads in the first 4 of those games.   :facepalm:

Edmonton is peaking at the WRONG time!  :lolpalm:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #598 on: January 28, 2024, 11:20:40 AM »
Yeah, not an ideal time for an extended break.  I don't think this is necessarily a peak, either. Obviously, this streak is an outlier. However, this is a team that was expected to compete for the West this season, and this could just be them finally playing to their potential. I wouldn't be surprised if they finish very strong,  and battle Vancouver for 1st in the Pacific.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 12:13:21 PM by SchecterShredder »

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #599 on: January 28, 2024, 11:47:27 AM »
Meanwhile, on the opposite side of the coin, I'm ready for the Kings to go into this all-star break.  They need to reset their mindset with the way they've been losing games in the last month and a half.

I can understand the Jim Mora meme now, because I'm thinking regarding the Kings.  "Playoffs?  You kidding me?  Playoffs?  I just hope we can win another game."

On a not-so-lighter note, one of the guys that took an indefinite leave of absence has turned himself into the London, Ontario Police.  Alex Formenton, the guy that did not re-sign with the Senators and has been playing in the Swiss league since, has turned himself in "to defend his innocence."  All right, I want to see what kind of defense these people will have.

https://twitter.com/robyndoolittle/status/1751661719837929705

Edit: Wow, this is post 4500 for me?  Been here in DTF for around 11 years and made it to this point.  Neat.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 12:01:34 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #600 on: January 28, 2024, 04:33:39 PM »
Meanwhile, on the opposite side of the coin, I'm ready for the Kings to go into this all-star break.  They need to reset their mindset with the way they've been losing games in the last month and a half.

What are the odds that McClellan is still behind the bench for the Feb. 10 game against Edmonton?  First game after the ASB.

I don't think he's the problem, but I think it's going to be a case of, "you can't fire the players."
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #601 on: January 28, 2024, 05:21:08 PM »
Another OTL for the Kings.  Oof.  I feel for you guys.  Tree has made a bunch of bad deals for the Leafs, but that PLD trade is looking like a total ass-raping by Chevy on Blake (Blake is/was the GM, yes?).
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #602 on: January 28, 2024, 09:05:34 PM »
^^ It's a pretty rough deal.  The issue with Rob Blake trading solid wingers like Iafallo and Vilardi is that it makes the winger depth on the bottom 6 weaker as a trade off to ideally make the top 3 Center spots strong.  Problem is that PLD hasn't been a strong fit.  The wingers he's working with are just meh or a player, fresh out of college, that got the call-up at the last second because Arvidsson has been on LTIR. 

Now will I think PLD could be a solid $8.5M player throughout the length of the contract?  I mean I have to hope so since that's what the Kings sold the fans on.  As for the now?  No and quite frankly, something in the room needs to change.  Whether it is a mindset adjustment, or a roster adjustment, management change, coaching change.  Whatever.  They just can't keep running the same thing, working around the minor things and what little resources of cap space they have, game by game and hoping for something different.  I can live with that thought in the first week of January, not in the last week of January when things are clearly not moving in the right direction.

Also, Byfield has been hit with illness and not been playing for the last few days.  That's rough, since he's been a bright spot in this rough patch.  This team, especially Kopitar and Kempe, feels lethargic without him and Lizotte (whose on IR).

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #603 on: January 29, 2024, 04:53:24 AM »
Cap challenges are a league-wide thing though, no.  All I ever hear on every broadcast is how roster construction is primarily dictated by cap constraints - ffs, the Leafs have $35k available to them!  PLD seems to be a "not a fit" now a third team in a row.  At what point does this guy realize it's likely HIM that is the issue?  That AAV is going to be a boat anchor.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #604 on: January 29, 2024, 01:52:27 PM »
Cap challenges are a league-wide thing though, no.  All I ever hear on every broadcast is how roster construction is primarily dictated by cap constraints - ffs, the Leafs have $35k available to them!  PLD seems to be a "not a fit" now a third team in a row.  At what point does this guy realize it's likely HIM that is the issue?  That AAV is going to be a boat anchor.

I doubt that PLD has that capability of introspection, TBH.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #605 on: January 29, 2024, 02:18:56 PM »
^^ I don't care what his state of mind now and this is nothing new.  This is something that the team should have been aware of from the start and now that we are at this point, there needs to be a big jolt to get the entire team going.  Whether PLD goes (impossible at this stage, I know) or he gets productive in a positive manner or Todd McLellan goes out the door or Rob Blake goes out the door, I don't care.  There are issues the Kings are having now, not just PLD.  They need to find a way to fix those issues before the season really does become lost.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2024, 02:28:49 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline Anguyen92

Re: NHL 2023-2024: All Star Week Break. Thank goodness.
« Reply #606 on: January 30, 2024, 04:13:14 PM »
Things are starting to get more real when it comes to the 2018 World Juniors Hockey Canada incident.  Now you have law firms of players reporting that they are confirming that their clients has been charged, will prove their clients' innocence, and will not comment any further regarding this matter for the time being.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #607 on: January 30, 2024, 06:28:05 PM »
Yeah.  I mean, without a doubt all 5 are going to retain lawyers - they're being charged, and will be going to court.  Formenten, McLeod and Hart are booked.  Just Dube and Foote to go.

Said day all around - for the victim, these boys, Hockey Canada and the NHL.  Nothing good is coming out of this.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #608 on: January 30, 2024, 06:35:49 PM »
Foote and Dube confirmed to be lawyered up, but regardless I agree, this is a sad day and hopefully, there can a path forward for everyone and, especially, the survivor affected by this gets the justice that can be warranted.

https://x.com/rwesthead/status/1752479121161023688?s=46&t=nZO0iQ5wC22RdOkV5t6tVA

https://twitter.com/rwesthead/status/1752458680014934289?t=BcxXY0voHOIstjSaGrngTA&s=19
« Last Edit: January 30, 2024, 10:06:12 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #609 on: January 31, 2024, 08:49:25 PM »
The Kings did not blow a two-goal lead against the Preds (they almost did at times, but they ended up winning the game anyway and that's all splendid going into the all star break).

Anywho, I think 60-70% of all NHL trades from September to now has been made by the Canucks.  They made another one today.  They have traded Andrei Kuzmenko (who had a solid last season with them, not so much this season) to Calgary for Elias Lindholm.  The Canucks have been leading the league in points for much of this season.  They decided this time is the best time to go all-in and I don't blame them.  They got some big money decisions to make in 24-25, but to them, that's later down the line.  Now, they are having a great season and they are going reach for whatever margins they can get to make the team better to go for a big playoff push.

Here's the trade.

Offline Anguyen92

Re: NHL 2023-2024: All Star Weekend. Trades. Coaching Changes. Bublé?
« Reply #610 on: February 02, 2024, 10:05:31 AM »
Lots of news going on going into this weekend.  Apparently the four-team international tournament is a go for 2025 as well as NHL players being in the Olympics in 2026.

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1753454852678586444?t=yrWQfxTEOp_BtdLduFGtEg&s=19

Most important news, well at least to me and PG, Todd McLellan has been fired as head coach for the Kings!  I have mixed emotions about this.  He pretty much did all he could to get the most amount of juice out of this team in the last 5 seasons.  I guess the last 1.5 months which had so many blown leads in games the Kings needed to win....., that was the end of the line for him.  I really thought the win against the Predators would have keep his job, but I guess the team was like no matter what, after this road trip, that's it.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: NHL 2023-2024: All Star Weekend. Trades. Olympics. Coaching Changes. Bublé?
« Reply #611 on: February 02, 2024, 10:12:53 AM »
It's official, got my tickets for the Blues visiting the Red Wings later this month. :D
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #612 on: February 02, 2024, 10:14:20 AM »
It's official, got my tickets for the Blues visiting the Red Wings later this month. :D

I got the Blues in Buffalo next Saturday.  Then when I go to pickup jingle.son from Ottawa to bring him home for reading week, we're catching Vegas in Ottawa on the 24th, and then driving home the 25th when we have Sabres/Canes tickets.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #613 on: February 02, 2024, 10:32:20 AM »
What's up with Bieber, Bubble, McRae and Arnett? Do they have any connection with ice hockey or are they just there for show?
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #614 on: February 02, 2024, 10:37:26 AM »
Bieber is a huge Leafs fan and designed the Leafs' 3rd jersey (the one with the golden leaf if you turn it inside out).  Buble is a huge Canucks fan which is why he is the special guest captain on Quinn Hughes' team.  I don't know what the other two's connection to hockey is though.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 10:48:52 AM by Anguyen92 »

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #615 on: February 02, 2024, 11:06:11 AM »
These celebs don't really have any actual connection, aside from the loose connections mentioned below.  They're just famous Canadians. The whole draft at the ASG is, frankly, silly. It was silly a decade ago when they first tried it (although a tad amusing watching Kessel go last), and it's silly they brought it back.  I had no problem with using divisional all star teams. Maybe this format resonates well with young fans,  but this 40 year old can do without.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #616 on: February 02, 2024, 11:35:52 AM »
So here's a fun fact, there's a list of the mascot profiles going around that had their name, their biggest rival, the best-looking mascot, favorite color, and favorite song to dance to.

The Ducks' Wild Wing had Rock the Pond from the D2 movie as his favorite song.  It's been years since I've listened to that song.  I hate that this song is associated with the Ducks.  This song slaps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gHpdrsMh7w&pp=ygUScm9jayB0aGUgcG9uZCBzb25n

The Kings' Bailey choose a fine song from a band from LA.  GNR's Welcome to the Jungle.

On another note, it seems like the NHL seems to have a sturdy schedule on how they want the league to spend their February week or so off moving forward where it's All-Star break every two years and then either one of a World Cup of Hockey or Olympics.

https://twitter.com/AGrossNewsday/status/1753494288959181096
« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 12:09:24 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #617 on: February 02, 2024, 02:48:58 PM »
So here's a fun fact, there's a list of the mascot profiles going around that had their name, their biggest rival, the best-looking mascot, favorite color, and favorite song to dance to.

The Ducks' Wild Wing had Rock the Pond from the D2 movie as his favorite song.  It's been years since I've listened to that song.  I hate that this song is associated with the Ducks.  This song slaps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gHpdrsMh7w&pp=ygUScm9jayB0aGUgcG9uZCBzb25n

Wait...what?  You're kidding, right?  That song is horribly cringeworthy.  When we used to go see the Kings as the Pond for "Duck Roasts," I always used to laugh at that one.

The Kings' Bailey choose a fine song from a band from LA.  GNR's Welcome to the Jungle.

At least he didn't pick that AWFUL Briggs song.  For me, the appropriate goal song for the Kings will always be Rock & Roll Part 2 by Gary Glitter.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #618 on: February 02, 2024, 03:09:20 PM »
^^ Wow, we're not going to be on the same page on that one. I like "This is LA" from The Briggs.

Offline billboy73

« Reply #619 on: February 06, 2024, 09:58:26 AM »
Should be a good game tonight!  Will the Oilers tie the streak tonight in Vegas?  I think they get it done, but the time off with the break makes it a little more dicey I believe.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: NHL 2023-2024: Break Over. Season back in full swing before Trade Deadline.
« Reply #620 on: February 06, 2024, 10:40:45 AM »
Leafs be Leafing last night.  Sloppy play, and two dumbass moves led to the 2nd and (game winning) goals.

2nd - 1st career goal for the kid
3rd - ex-Leaf Pierre Engvall's first game back in Toronto ... gets the GWG with 2 mins to go, and it was his first point in 19 games.

Only the Leafs could pull that off.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #621 on: February 12, 2024, 11:02:38 AM »
I had the most "interesting" experience of my 30+ years of attending hockey games on Saturday.

First, the Kings demolished the Oilers.  Just a regular season game, but it was a great way to start the post-McClellan era.

So...here's the cast of characters, in roughly the way we were sitting:

F Z H
         G
   M P S

I'm P.  S is my 21yo son.  M is the former Marine sitting to my left.  G is a guy who was probably my age.  Z is a woman who was going to ride the Zamboni during first intermission.  F is Z's female friend, and H is a hipster guy.  It appeared that F, Z, H and G all knew each other.  We were seated behind and slightly to the right of the net where the Kings shoot twice.

About 5-8 minutes into the first period, Z stands up while play is going on and starts yacking with F.  Keep in mind that, in addition to lingering, Z was wearing some sort of oversized baseball style cap.  As I said, play was ongoing, and there was action happening in front of the Edmonton net.  When she continued to linger, I said/yelled, "down in front."  I'm not sure I was heard.  A couple seconds later, M said the same thing.  He was louder and was heard.  There was then some back and forth between F, Z, H and M.  It sounded friendly at first, and I didn't really hear what was said.  Next thing I heard was H saying something like, "she's riding the Zamboni because she beat cancer."  M then said, "that doesn't give you the right to stand there and block my view; the game's going on."  There were a few more seconds of heated jawing when G stood up and started saying things to M.  This resulted in my and my son's view being further blocked.  I then stood up and told G to sit down and shut up (at this point, I had no idea that he knew Z).  G responded by inviting me outside, at which point my 6'3" well-built kid stood up.  Although I didn't hear him say this, he says that he said something like the following:  "I don't care if we both get tossed out of this game, but you will NOT speak to my dad like that!"  G gave my son a look, which my son described as, "the look on his face was like no one had ever spoken to him like that in his life."  I put my arm in front of my son to push him back a couple inches and again told G to sit down and shut up, at which point I sat down and told my son to sit down.  Eventually things de-fused, although H continued to make comments every time someone would get up or get down (while the crew was cleaning the ice).

Wild night!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #622 on: February 12, 2024, 11:16:26 AM »
I had the most "interesting" experience of my 30+ years of attending hockey games on Saturday.

First, the Kings demolished the Oilers.  Just a regular season game, but it was a great way to start the post-McClellan era.

So...here's the cast of characters, in roughly the way we were sitting:

F Z H
         G
   M P S

I'm P.  S is my 21yo son.  M is the former Marine sitting to my left.  G is a guy who was probably my age.  Z is a woman who was going to ride the Zamboni during first intermission.  F is Z's female friend, and H is a hipster guy.  It appeared that F, Z, H and G all knew each other.  We were seated behind and slightly to the right of the net where the Kings shoot twice.

About 5-8 minutes into the first period, Z stands up while play is going on and starts yacking with F.  Keep in mind that, in addition to lingering, Z was wearing some sort of oversized baseball style cap.  As I said, play was ongoing, and there was action happening in front of the Edmonton net.  When she continued to linger, I said/yelled, "down in front."  I'm not sure I was heard.  A couple seconds later, M said the same thing.  He was louder and was heard.  There was then some back and forth between F, Z, H and M.  It sounded friendly at first, and I didn't really hear what was said.  Next thing I heard was H saying something like, "she's riding the Zamboni because she beat cancer."  M then said, "that doesn't give you the right to stand there and block my view; the game's going on."  There were a few more seconds of heated jawing when G stood up and started saying things to M.  This resulted in my and my son's view being further blocked.  I then stood up and told G to sit down and shut up (at this point, I had no idea that he knew Z).  G responded by inviting me outside, at which point my 6'3" well-built kid stood up.  Although I didn't hear him say this, he says that he said something like the following:  "I don't care if we both get tossed out of this game, but you will NOT speak to my dad like that!"  G gave my son a look, which my son described as, "the look on his face was like no one had ever spoken to him like that in his life."  I put my arm in front of my son to push him back a couple inches and again told G to sit down and shut up, at which point I sat down and told my son to sit down.  Eventually things de-fused, although H continued to make comments every time someone would get up or get down (while the crew was cleaning the ice).

Wild night!

What's that joke?  "I went to a boxing match and a hockey game broke out!"   What fun is a hockey game if'n there isn't some jawing in the stands?!?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #623 on: February 12, 2024, 11:30:41 AM »
I mean...I can't recall ever seeing anything like that happen, much less being in the middle of it.  Normally, the reaction to "down in front" is to get down or get out.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #624 on: February 12, 2024, 03:21:55 PM »
Love that kid, man!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #625 on: February 12, 2024, 03:42:56 PM »
What does everyone think of Morgan Reilly cross checking that dude after the EM net goal the other night?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW1pqSHmMzY

No clue what the precedent is, but does 10-15 games sound about right?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #626 on: February 12, 2024, 03:45:25 PM »
What does everyone think of Morgan Reilly cross checking that dude after the EM net goal the other night?

You have a cross check... to the head... WAY after the whistle. Whatever they give, it'll either be not enough or just enough. I can't see them giving out any punishment that makes me say it's a little harsh. And yeah, Ottawa dude with a little bit of a dick finish, but you simply can not, under any circumstance, do that.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #627 on: February 12, 2024, 03:45:43 PM »
It's the DOPS.  They won't give that high of a number.  The NHLPA will want to appeal that fast.  I say it should be around 6 games.  That's what David Perron had when he cross-checked a Sens player and all that Sens player did was try to get signal to bring medical attention out when Dylan Larkin went down after a collision.  I understand that players wants some form of retribution when they feel wronged, even in the little ways, but these kinds of actions should not be condone.  If you want to grab someone, have heated words with them, whatever.  That's fine to blow the steam off.  Cross-checking to the head should never be the retaliation action.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #628 on: February 12, 2024, 03:49:05 PM »
It's the DOPS.  They won't give that high of a number.  The NHLPA will want to appeal that fast.  I say it should be around 6 games.  That's what David Perron had when he cross-checked a Sens player and all that Sens player did was try to get someone's attention when Dylan Larkin went down after a collision.  I understand that players wants some form of retribution when they feel wronged, even in the little ways, but these kinds of actions should not be condone.  If you want to grab someone, have heated words with them, whatever.  That's fine to blow the steam off.  Cross-checking to the head should never be the retaliation action.

I fully get why Perron was suspended, and I am not defending him at all for that.

HOWEVER

He was at least reacting to his captain being hurt, and he thought he was going after the guy who hurt him.

Firing that puck into the back of the net doesn't hurt a fucking thing.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #629 on: February 12, 2024, 04:09:59 PM »

Yikes.  That reminded me a lot of this:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7Zpx9TbebU

Ridley saw Reilly coming, and I don't know Reilly's disciplinary history, but Dale Hunter got 21 games when he did it.