Author Topic: NHL 2023-2024: Playoff Time. Hello Darkness.....  (Read 25570 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: NHL 2023-2024: All Star roster announced. Does anyone care?
« Reply #560 on: January 17, 2024, 09:52:52 AM »
^^ Well, the Oilers and Kraken just had horrible starts while the Golden Knights and Kings had good starts.  The Flames weaved in and out in between.  At this point, though, things have evened itself out smoothly and it's pretty much anyone's spots to claim except for #1 in the Pacific (The Canucks have somehow held on to winning at a consistent rate throughout the entire season thus far).  Golden Knights are running through their injury bugs that they would normally have and the Kings would run through their usual frustratingly inconsistent play that they also would normally have in a section of the season.

What worries me is that this often happens around the Grammy road trip, so I really hope they can right the ship and not have a second swoon.  Maybe I'll be a good luck charm when I'll be in the building on Saturday.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #561 on: January 17, 2024, 10:10:54 AM »
11th win for the Oilers is great.

They don't score that much, but they get even fewer goals. I've not seen the games, only some highlight reels, so is it that they play a more defensive game as a whole? I mean Draisaitl, Nugent-Hopkins and even McDavid are nowhere near where they were last season regarding points.

Can they play even better or is this as good as it gets?
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #562 on: January 17, 2024, 10:24:27 AM »
It's funny that you're longing for 2 former Leafs who are performing quite well in Edmonton lol. And that's an understatement in Hyman's case. His contract is looking almost better than Draisaitl's  right now considering his production.
Hyman I'm legitimately longing for.  I mean, he was a solid 3rd guy on the top line with Marner and Matthews, but he's been next-level in Edmonton.  I don't think anyone could have foreseen him doubling his goal production.  Clearly he was just the right guy to complement McJesus.  I mean, I can't see Hyman being on a 55 goal pace without someone like McD as his centreman (maybe MacKinnon).
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #563 on: January 17, 2024, 10:27:16 AM »
11th win for the Oilers is great.

They don't score that much, but they get even fewer goals. I've not seen the games, only some highlight reels, so is it that they play a more defensive game as a whole? I mean Draisaitl, Nugent-Hopkins and even McDavid are nowhere near where they were last season regarding points.

Can they play even better or is this as good as it gets?

McDavid and Draisaitl both have another level to play to. It's been a bit of a down season for both of them. Nuge, on the other hand, is playing to expectations. Nuge hitting 100pts last season was without a doubt an anomaly. I'd happily take a point-per-game Nuge any day considering he used to be good for 60 -ish points. Hyman is punching a bit above his weight, as well, which is helping out on the offensive side. Same with Bouchard, although he's still on the way up so this might just be the new normal for him.

If anything, I'd say Kane is the biggest underperformer on the roster right now. He'll still probably hit 30G this season, but he'll need to work for it. I'm not complaining either. This team will likely finish with 4 or 5 30 goal scorers, and Draisaitl, McDavid and Hyman might all eclipse 40.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #564 on: January 17, 2024, 10:29:32 AM »
It's funny that you're longing for 2 former Leafs who are performing quite well in Edmonton lol. And that's an understatement in Hyman's case. His contract is looking almost better than Draisaitl's  right now considering his production.
Hyman I'm legitimately longing for.  I mean, he was a solid 3rd guy on the top line with Marner and Matthews, but he's been next-level in Edmonton.  I don't think anyone could have foreseen him doubling his goal production.  Clearly he was just the right guy to complement McJesus.  I mean, I can't see Hyman being on a 55 goal pace without someone like McD as his centreman (maybe MacKinnon).

No doubt about it. It's like when Jonathan Cheechoo played on a line with Joe Thornton in SJ. I remember Cheechoo even saying in an interview that he just needs to keep skating, and the puck ends up right on his tape every time. Mind you, that was clearly a one-off season for Cheechoo, whereas Hyman is performing year-over-year right now.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #565 on: January 17, 2024, 10:30:51 AM »
Regarding Hyman, doesn't he had a fair amount of almost goals and had goals called back on top of what he's been doing this season?  Probably would have already reached 30 at this point if some of those near moments went his way.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #566 on: January 19, 2024, 08:57:26 AM »
Well, that's 12 in a row for the Oilers. I didn't get a chance to watch the game last night due to my weekly jam session, but the sports radio on the way home indicated that it was an ugly win. Either way, I'm glad they got the points and kept the streak going.

They're now 20-3 in their last 23, and looking even better than the team that finished last season going 29-3 down the stretch. They've allowed 2 or fewer goals in the last 10 games, which is almost more remarkable than the 12 game winning streak. There's still half a season to go, but the Oilers are very much looking like the team they were expected to be at the start of the season.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #567 on: January 19, 2024, 09:11:54 AM »
Indeed they are.  Bad time to be coming up to the AS break and team breaks.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #568 on: January 19, 2024, 09:45:25 AM »
In the last five games the Oilers were down a goal or two but still won each game. That's an impressive comeback ability they show there.

And Draisaitl had a very lucky goal and three assists.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #569 on: January 19, 2024, 11:33:46 AM »
In the last five games the Oilers were down a goal or two but still won each game. That's an impressive comeback ability they show there.

And Draisaitl had a very lucky goal and three assists.

A stat flashed up during the leafs game last night that Colorado, Detroit and Calgary lead the league in 3rd-period comeback wins (8 each).  The Leafs contributed to that with the Avs and Red Wings, and narrowly avoided that with the Flames.

Not sure where Edmonton fits in that stat.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #570 on: January 19, 2024, 01:10:32 PM »
The comebacks for the Oilers usually start in the 2nd.  Any team that thinks they can get off to a 2-0 lead against the Oilers at the end of the 1st and think, "Well, our job is done for the night," think again.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #571 on: January 20, 2024, 05:52:12 AM »
Anyone who thinks that about ANY team ought to give their head a shake.  Even the Sharts have done that a couple of times.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #572 on: January 20, 2024, 02:07:58 PM »
So Patrick Roy is now the new head coach for the New York Islanders after the Isles went through their rough slump.  I wonder how much more the Kings higher-ups can tolerate until they need to change something, either with roster or coaching?

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #573 on: January 20, 2024, 06:22:15 PM »
So Patrick Roy is now the new head coach for the New York Islanders after the Isles went through their rough slump.  I wonder how much more the Kings higher-ups can tolerate until they need to change something, either with roster or coaching?

Woodcroft is available. It would be kinda funny if they replaced their current former-oilers coach with another former-oilers coach

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #574 on: January 20, 2024, 09:35:52 PM »
I am not ok with the uni's being worn by the Oil. The jerseys are ok. This pants and gloves are not. They look like diarrhea.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #575 on: January 20, 2024, 11:29:21 PM »
Oilers just keeps on winning.  They got.... oh goodness, the Blue Jackets and Blackhawks next.  They'll get to 15 straight wins after carving those two teams up.  You know, what?  I just need the Kings to maintain a wild card spot.  They'll should take their chances against the Jets or Canucks.  Let the Oilers and Golden Knights duke it out 1st round.

And yes, the Oilers Heritage Classic jersey with the number on the crest is fine, but good gravy at those pants and gloves looking like old-school goalie pads.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #576 on: January 21, 2024, 06:43:19 AM »
B's dropping a 9 spot on the Habs pleases me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline crazy climber dude

« Reply #577 on: January 21, 2024, 08:54:14 AM »
So Patrick Roy is now the new head coach for the New York Islanders after the Isles went through their rough slump. 

That combination with the New York media could be either hilarious, volatile....or both.  :mehlin

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #578 on: January 21, 2024, 11:38:22 AM »
I'm seeing online reports that the Oilers have signed Corey Perry. What the actual fuck?

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #579 on: January 21, 2024, 01:53:16 PM »
I'm seeing online reports that the Oilers have signed Corey Perry. What the actual fuck?

Why not? They signed Evander Kane and he's a huge POS.....maybe they want to make some cool T-Shirts to sell that can have both of them on there dressed as huge piles of crap?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #580 on: January 22, 2024, 07:01:25 AM »

Why not? They signed Evander Kane and he's a huge POS.....maybe they want to make some cool T-Shirts to sell that can have both of them on there dressed as huge piles of crap?

Did we ever find out what happened in Chicago?

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #581 on: January 22, 2024, 08:43:54 AM »

Did we ever find out what happened in Chicago?

What we do know is that he wasn't shagging Bedard's mom.

The story that has been all but confirmed is that he got pretty drunk at an event where the entire organization was there.....and did 'something' that was inappropriate. Maybe hit on someone....made a rude remark....fought....it's not really been confirmed as to what exactly it was.....only that it WASN'T him banging Bedard's mom and that it had to to with getting loaded and saying/doing something pretty inappropriate.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #582 on: January 22, 2024, 09:47:17 AM »
We, the public, probably will never know since there might have been NDAs between the Blackhawks, Perry, and the person/people internally that was affected by Corey Perry's actions that led to the contract termination.  All I can say is that I just hope the teams that wanted to sign him knew all of those details and determine that this s*** was not going to fly again if Perry signs with them. 

For the Oilers, they are willing to skirt around the edges when it comes to that kind of stuff like they did a few years back with Evander Kane.  Gl to them and it just keeps getting worst and worst in this division where an annoying player to go against is now back in the Pacific after a long 5 years or so out of it.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 12:52:53 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #583 on: January 23, 2024, 02:43:36 AM »
It's confirmed, Corey Perry was signed by the Oilers.

Was there anything else apart from that Chicago incident that he did so that people find him annoying or a POS?

And apart from that, is he still good enough to help the Oilers? What do they hope to get out of him?

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #584 on: January 23, 2024, 08:53:33 AM »
^^ I think he can provide a veteran voice.  Certainly be better than most of their 4th line options.  Maybe can move up the lineup if needed.  Be annoying to play against.

At the very least, he can get this team to a Stanley Cup finals, only to lose in the finals, but the Oilers certainly would take a guy that can get them to the finals at this stage of their window.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #585 on: January 23, 2024, 09:12:37 AM »
^^ I think he can provide a veteran voice.  Certainly be better than most of their 4th line options.  Maybe can move up the lineup if needed.  Be annoying to play against.

At the very least, he can get this team to a Stanley Cup finals, only to lose in the finals, but the Oilers certainly would take a guy that can get them to the finals at this stage of their window.

Apt summary.

He'll add grit and a touch of scoring depth to the 4th line.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #586 on: January 24, 2024, 10:48:29 AM »
Things might be coming to a head on this topic.  Did it get coverage in the States?

Five players from Canada’s 2018 World Juniors team have been directed to report to police in London, Ont., to face charges of sexual assault, The Globe and Mail reported this morning, citing two unnamed sources.

https://www.tsn.ca/hockey-canada/report-five-members-of-canada-s-2018-wjc-team-told-to-surrender-to-london-police-1.2066984

This would explain the "temporary" leaves of absence players have been granted (Carter Hart, Dillon Dube, Michael McLeod, and Cal Foote); and Alex Formenton has been granted a leave by his team in the Swiss league.

I'm gathering the careers of these players are virtually over.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #587 on: January 24, 2024, 10:52:02 AM »
Things might be coming to a head on this topic.  Did it get coverage in the States?

Five players from Canada’s 2018 World Juniors team have been directed to report to police in London, Ont., to face charges of sexual assault, The Globe and Mail reported this morning, citing two unnamed sources.

https://www.tsn.ca/hockey-canada/report-five-members-of-canada-s-2018-wjc-team-told-to-surrender-to-london-police-1.2066984

This would explain the "temporary" leaves of absence players have been granted (Carter Hart, Dillon Dube, Michael McLeod, and Cal Foote); and Alex Formenton has been granted a leave by his team in the Swiss league.

TSN has it at the top of their page, though I saw World Juniors and didn't read the rest of the headline.

ESPN's NHL page doesn't have it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #588 on: January 24, 2024, 10:52:50 AM »
It's been an ongoing investigation for about 18 months, that's why I was asking.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #589 on: January 24, 2024, 10:53:45 AM »
You posting it is the first I've heard of it, I believe.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #590 on: January 24, 2024, 10:54:55 AM »

Ok then... so no coverage.  :lol

It was a massive scandal for Hockey Canada back in 2022 - amongst other problems the governing body was going thru.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #591 on: January 24, 2024, 11:13:25 AM »

Pretty much. Perhaps a good lesson for future team Canada players (really, solid advice for anyone): don't gangbang a minor while on a company business trip.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #592 on: January 24, 2024, 11:15:03 AM »

I've read about this whole incident when this became more public in 2022.  Reporters like Rick Westhead (who writes for TSN) and Katie Strang (who writes for The Athletic) has been following the trail of information relating to this for a good long while.

There were hearings held by the Canadian Members of Parliament to the previous heads of Hockey Canada, last year or late 2022, that didn't go so smooth in Hockey Canada's camp.

On a lighter note, one of the guys that was part of that Parliament group had a name that screams that he should be in Parliament.  Anthony Housefather.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #593 on: January 24, 2024, 11:55:53 AM »

Pretty much. Perhaps a good lesson for future team Canada players (really, solid advice for anyone): don't gangbang a minor while on a company business trip.

Define "gangbang".  Asking for a friend.   
« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 12:35:03 PM by Stadler »

Offline billboy73

« Reply #594 on: January 24, 2024, 11:58:41 AM »

« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 12:14:39 PM by billboy73 »