Author Topic: NHL 2023-2024: Playoff Time. Hello Darkness.....  (Read 25425 times)

axeman90210 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: NHL 2023-2024: Offseason mood. Chilling with Vibes (Hopefully).
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2023, 06:30:29 AM »
I think a lot of players across the league are hoping they'll 'get paid' next summer.  It's like they think the cap is going up $10M or something.   :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2023, 06:31:41 AM »
Yeah. The Bruins are positioning themselves. I think they'll have like $30m to spend.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2023, 04:40:14 PM »
There are going to be a LOT of dumb contracts handed out next summer, whether the cap is going up 3m or 6m. That along with years of simmering stagnant cap along with this years poor UFA class... it just all points to lots of silliness next year.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2023, 04:53:40 PM »
I'm prepared for the silliness in the 2024 offseason.  The Kings are going to really need to figure out how to construct their roster as they got a lot of players on RFAs and they need to figure out what to do with Matt Roy and Viktor Arvidsson in terms of whether they can or should re-sign them or they will test FA.  Part of me did wish that Kopitar signed for $5M instead of $7M and placed the additional $2M in performance bonuses so that they have better flexibility to get these guys signed, but it is what it is.

Oh and also get a good young goalie locked for the future.....  All three goalies signed now are UFA in 2024 and I don't see either of them coming back, hopefully.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2023, 05:00:53 PM »
Performance bonuses only apply to ELCs, 35+ 1 year contracts, and some injury related thingy as well. Relatively sure not an option for Kopitar.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2023, 05:24:44 PM »
^^ Well, he would have qualified under the age 35+ one year contract.  He signed for two years though.  No worries, tough decisions still needs to be made for the team moving forward.  They have gone all in with the position they are in.  Sink or swim.  If they sink, Rob Blake and Marc Bergevin are out of here and some people would be ok with that (especially Marc Bergevin.  That guy seems to have the tendency to do way too many volatile things for my liking).

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2023, 12:10:17 PM »
Patrice Bergeron has now called it a career.  From what I read, very great leader on and off the ice.  So, whose the next captain for the Bs?  McAvoy?  Pasta?  No way they are going to give it to Marchand.  Right?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2023, 12:20:44 PM »
This moves McDavid up a spot when discussing the best players in the league now, right? :P :P

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2023, 12:42:55 PM »
Patrice Bergeron has now called it a career.  From what I read, very great leader on and off the ice.  So, whose the next captain for the Bs?  McAvoy?  Pasta?  No way they are going to give it to Marchand.  Right?

Absolutely a class act.  A consummate professional.  He will be missed. 

As for Marchant.  He has really matured.  He actually is a leader in the clubhouse now.  I think he will be named captain. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2023, 12:43:36 PM »
This moves McDavid up a spot when discussing the best players in the league now, right? :P :P

No, he is all ready the best player in the league. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2023, 01:06:37 PM »
(If he so desires) I give it less than 5 years before Bergeron is a GM. Players like him typically take that next step.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2023, 01:11:23 PM »
(If he so desires) I give it less than 5 years before Bergeron is a GM. Players like him typically take that next step.

Very young kids though.  We'll see.  TBH, I never thought Neely would be in management but......

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2023, 01:21:48 PM »

Very young kids though.  We'll see.  TBH, I never thought Neely would be in management but......

That's the 'if he so desires' part. It usually only takes a couple years of these pro athletes being at home with their wife and kids before they're back in the saddle doing something  :lol 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2023, 01:39:33 PM »

See, this guy gets it.  ;) ;) ;)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2023, 01:40:45 PM »

Absolutely a class act.  A consummate professional.  He will be missed. 

As for Marchant.  He has really matured.  He actually is a leader in the clubhouse now.  I think he will be named captain.

it is absolutely NOT Pasta.  I know he wore the A for several games (splitting with McAvoy) but it's Marchand, that's a given.  Then McAvoy for the first A and honestly I think Lindholm splits with Pasta for the other A.

Deeply saddened by this retirement, even though I knew it was coming.  That guy left his heart and soul on the ice and was a joy to watch (and listen to in the interviews).    One of the truly greats. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2023, 03:05:11 PM »

See, this guy gets it.  ;) ;) ;)

Hehe, that was good to resist.  :hat :hat

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2023, 03:40:25 PM »
Yeah, I just want to say that Patrice Bergeron is one of my all time favorite players. He was never in the elite of the elite group, but he is undeniably a first ballot HOFer.
Another Cup would've been nice, obviously.

Here's a great interview he did with Elliotte Friedman last year. Shows some great insight into him as a player and a Captain.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqwBSdlSGHA
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline romdrums

« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2023, 07:23:53 AM »
Much like Sakic and the Avs, I hate the B's, but I've got lots of respect for Bergeron.  Class player, who always seemed to have great games against the Red Wings.  It's going to take a while for the B's to replace him on and off the ice. They better hope Krecji doesn't bolt as well, because that would leave them really thin down the middle!
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2023, 07:37:22 AM »
Much like Sakic and the Avs, I hate the B's, but I've got lots of respect for Bergeron.  Class player, who always seemed to have great games against the Red Wings.  It's going to take a while for the B's to replace him on and off the ice. They better hope Krecji doesn't bolt as well, because that would leave them really thin down the middle!

If I had to handicap this two weeks ago, I would have expected Krecji to retire and Bergeron to play one more for that very reason (i.e. losing both would be a huge hole to fill). 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2023, 07:49:55 AM »

Krecji is gone.  They will not resign him.  It was a last hurrah for both. That's why the B's went all in last year with the trades.   

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2023, 11:01:52 AM »
Kev/Gary

Athletic just came out with their list of 10 worst contracts going into next season, and I think Blues were the only team with two players on the list, with Parayko and Schenn. Don't know the former all that well, but always loved Schenn from his time in Philly. Article detailed his more recent decline and deficiencies, and it's really unfortunate.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2023, 11:17:08 AM »
Kev/Gary

Athletic just came out with their list of 10 worst contracts going into next season, and I think Blues were the only team with two players on the list, with Parayko and Schenn. Don't know the former all that well, but always loved Schenn from his time in Philly. Article detailed his more recent decline and deficiencies, and it's really unfortunate.

Yeah....I read that one. I mean.....people bag on Parayko non stop but it's not really warranted. Armstrong 'hoped' he would fill Peitrangelo's void when Armstrong failed to keep him in StL.....and he just hasn't been able to. He's not a true #1 defender. He's a solid second pairing D man who eats up 25-30 minutes of ice time a night. The knock on him is that he's 'soft'.....which he is. The dude is huge and he plays a 'soft' game. But he moves the puck well and is solid on D. It's only when he's asked to do above and beyond that he falls short. I don't know where you will find a solid second pairing D man that's 'only' a $6.5 million dollar cap hit until 2030? The only other thing that could make this a bummer is he has had back issues. But, if that forces him out of the game they'd be clear of that contract so it's not really a big thing.

Now Schenn is a different story. He's $6.5 a year until 2028. That's brutal. The dude is full of piss and vinegar which is fine and will give you all he's got....but....his production is just horrific compared to what he's being paid and will continue to be paid. Very streaky....but even then when he's on a heater it doesn't make up for the games where he's utterly non existent. I would suspect he will get the 'C' though given his spunk and how loved he is in the locker room. But yeah....that one is brutal.

Krug's is brutal also....$6.5 mill a year until 2027. He's such a bad defender and is hurt non stop. Even his 'plus' side of being able to QB the power play can't justify what he's being paid to be horrible. He can't move a third grader out from in front of the net and is consistently overpowered in the corners or any battle for that matter. It's so bad.....Armstrong mishandled the entire Petro thing and signed this clown to that silly contract. I'd waiver the guy and be done with it.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2023, 11:24:38 AM »
Putting him on waivers doesn't really solve anything in most cases. Not only does a team need to believe he has positive value, but they have to have the cap space to claim him. If they don't end you send him to the minors you're still only saving about 1m in cap hit and paying him in full. Not a smart move if you're still happy with him overall, just not at his contract price.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2023, 12:16:11 PM »
Putting him on waivers doesn't really solve anything in most cases. Not only does a team need to believe he has positive value, but they have to have the cap space to claim him. If they don't end you send him to the minors you're still only saving about 1m in cap hit and paying him in full. Not a smart move if you're still happy with him overall, just not at his contract price.

Yeah.....I get it. I was more or less just insinuating get rid of him at all costs. The Blues have three young defenseman that need the playing time, Rosen, Tucker and Perunovich.... But Krug, Leddy and Scandella are three horrible contracts that are in the way of them, oh and Bortuzzo. I'd hate to lose Rosen and/or Tucker because we're stuck with aging...useless veterans.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2023, 12:47:58 PM »

Krecji is gone.  They will not resign him.  It was a last hurrah for both. That's why the B's went all in last year with the trades.

Right. Krejci will not be back. He was kind f useless last year anyway, and was banged up going into the playoffs. He hurt them against Florida.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2023, 01:16:02 PM »

Yeah.....I get it. I was more or less just insinuating get rid of him at all costs. The Blues have three young defenseman that need the playing time, Rosen, Tucker and Perunovich.... But Krug, Leddy and Scandella are three horrible contracts that are in the way of them, oh and Bortuzzo. I'd hate to lose Rosen and/or Tucker because we're stuck with aging...useless veterans.

The question then becomes, are you willing to trade a top prospect or a 1st round pick to have someone take him on?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: July 26, 2023, 01:18:57 PM »
Apparently the solution to Matt Murray’s salary is solved thru LTIR for the entire season.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #62 on: July 26, 2023, 01:24:33 PM »
Apparently the solution to Matt Murray’s salary is solved thru LTIR for the entire season.

I saw that. First thing I thought of.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: July 26, 2023, 02:02:00 PM »

The question then becomes, are you willing to trade a top prospect or a 1st round pick to have someone take him on?

I'd make that sacrifice. He's that big a disruption to the upcoming young D talent they have.....he's just not that good. It was a horrible signing.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #64 on: July 27, 2023, 05:09:21 PM »
Well, the Senators lost DeBrincat, but has signed Vladimir Tarasenko.  1 year at $5M.  This signing surprisingly puts them at the Cap Ceiling.

https://twitter.com/ian_mendes/status/1684700175602704384?

Ok, the Mendes Tweet and basically your usual insider confirmation Tweets said it, but this reporter guy in New York wants credit for breaking it first hours before the actual signing, so I'll give it to him.

https://twitter.com/EthanGSN/status/1684609971109888026
« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 05:36:32 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2023, 06:19:50 PM »
Yikes  :omg:   That’s an over pay for Tarasenko.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2023, 10:36:05 AM »
Kev/Gary

The guy that constructs the analytical models to create that list now has the team rankings when it comes to contract efficiency.  Blues are ranked 29th (mainly on the backs of those guys Nick mentioned on top of guys like Krug, Leddy, Faulk).  Kings are ranked 17th (I blindly guessed 20th since Dom Luszczyszyn's models aren't favorable to the Kings at times, mainly due to Doughty's contract).  I guess those analytics don't like late 20s-early 30s player contracts that has high AAV with term due to the eventual player decline.  They also don't like underperforming (so far in the case of PLD) centers getting paid a lot as well.  What a surprise.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2023, 10:44:18 AM by Anguyen92 »

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2023, 11:24:35 AM »
Yeah....those types of rankings are weird because statistically they 'make sense' but hockey (and sports in general) is just an odd beast. All it takes is the right chemistry between teammates and a team that is horrible on paper ends up playing great team hockey where they're 'all in' for each other and they end up being really good. The locker room make up next year for the Blues is going to be way better now that Tarasenko is gone. He's always been an issue in the room....always. So that immediately adds to the team chemistry with him just not being there.

As far as the Blues next season...I think they have a more than solid forward group. Finally have the pieces together to roll out four strong lines with Sundquist coming back and Torpechenko having a full year under his belt. (That kid is special) But the D corps is highly suspect and Binnington in net is a minus as well. That dude cashed in big time on his brief success and the Blues are essentially stuck with him because of the ridiculous contract he was given. To say he's an average goalie is giving him too much credit.

Obviously I'll watch and root for them, hoping for a playoff birth. But I'm not expecting much from them for a bit. Gotta get these young D guys in there and get Krug, Scandella and Leddy off that roster.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #68 on: August 05, 2023, 06:10:17 AM »
Am I the only one that did a double take at Tom Wilson's 7 @ $45m contract with the Caps?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: August 05, 2023, 06:31:00 AM »
Wow... that's pretty rich for a guy like that.  $6.5m??  Which doesn't kick in until next year, when he's 30 years old.  So, you're gonna pay a guy whose career best is 24g/28a/52 pts that kind of money for the back third of his career?  This is the same AAV as Chris Kreider, ffs.  That kind of AAV would make sense on a 3ish year term, imo... but 7??