Author Topic: NHL 2023-2024: Playoff Time. Hello Darkness.....  (Read 25298 times)

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
Re: NHL 2023-2024: Opening Week Time. May our teams have a good start.
« Reply #140 on: October 10, 2023, 11:43:03 AM »
Not bad,  but i think the west shakes out differently.  I don't see VAN or CGY finishing ahead of the Kraken. I think it'll be the same 4 teams from the Pacific,  or even just the top 3. I wouldn't be surprised if the Central sent 5 (Nashville or St. Louis could slip into that mix easily).

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #141 on: October 10, 2023, 12:06:20 PM »
Not bad,  but i think the west shakes out differently.  I don't see VAN or CGY finishing ahead of the Kraken. I think it'll be the same 4 teams from the Pacific,  or even just the top 3. I wouldn't be surprised if the Central sent 5 (Nashville or St. Louis could slip into that mix easily).

I think the Blues slip in this year. The cancerous distraction that was Tarasenko and his ego are gone from the locker room. I personally know the reporter for The Athletic that covers the Blues and get a lot of insider trading info. All the right things were said in public by the players, coaches and ownership....the fiasco with Tarasenko ever since he demanded a trade was a huge issue in the locker room. He was one of the veterans that were pissed that Kyrou and Thomas got 8yr/8mil deals and was the ring leader behind all the turmoil and started a lot of crap behind the scenes. Ironically, O'Reily was another one that was ticked about those two receiving those deals so it wasn't a surprise to see him shipped out and not even considered to come back. Armstrong is committed to those two for the future and so he picked his horses.....

While a locker room that gets along is desired it's not a guarantee for success....but it's better than having clicks and sects of players pitted against each other. They've installed Schenn as the captain because he's a good locker room guy. I think the difference in the room this year for the Blues will translate to more success on the ice....and they were only 10pts from a spot last year.....just 5 more wins....and I know they dropped a few that were they playing for each other a bit more they could have won rather than lost.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline pg1067

« Reply #142 on: October 10, 2023, 01:28:55 PM »
Bold (literally) are my playoff predictions

First thing I thought of when I read this:

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #143 on: October 10, 2023, 01:39:54 PM »

Seattle takes a step back.  Mark my words.  This isn't going to be a case of Vegas 2.0.  The Kraken had a double digit shooting percentage last year - 11.6%, 2nd in the league to the Oil.  Up from 27th in the league in their debut.  Unless Grubauer has a Vezina-like year and justifies his $5.9M salary, the Kraken are on the outside looking in come April.

I've just got a gut feel about Vancouver.  The Horvat drama is done; Demko returned to form in March; Petterson is in a contract year; and Hughes makes the leap into the Top 5 D-men category this year.  I think they sneak in.

The Blues' fate - unsurprisingly - rests on which version of Binnington they get.  I'm not seeing how Nashville improved.  When the C depth chart is Ryan O’Reilly, Tomas Novak, Cody Glass, Colton Sissons... I don't see how anyone can be brimming with confidence.  And they're gonna have to ride the horse that is Saros again - I saw one prediction that he very well could be the first G in 7 years to play 70 games this year.

I was at the Pitt/Buf pre-season game on Friday, both teams icing their A-players.  Fun game ... and Sid dropped the gloves.  Pitt looks really good.  I was sleeping on them, but they've got a really solid F lineup, and that PP looks lethal with both Letang and Karlsson on the ice.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: October 10, 2023, 01:44:21 PM »
The Blues' fate - unsurprisingly - rests on which version of Binnington they get.

I'd love nothing more than for him to put together a full season of consistent goaltending....say.....91% save percentage realm....I just don't know that he can. He usually starts good....then slumps...then regains form. Would like to see him not have that mid season 10-15 game slump.

He is a baller when it gets to crunch time though. If that D bag Kadri doesn't run him two years ago the Blues would have taken the AV's to 7 and may have stole that series. Mo was in their favor there all due to #50's play.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #145 on: October 10, 2023, 06:37:06 PM »
Parts of two games in so far, and now I know why I listen to music while watching games. The announcers blow. WTF? Stop trying to sell me something, I know WTF I'm looking at.
The Crosby/Bedard sitting there in full uniforms if fucking cringey as all hell.
And Sean McDonough....what the hell happened to you? Stop being such a pussy.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #146 on: October 11, 2023, 06:51:17 AM »
Parts of two games in so far, and now I know why I listen to music while watching games. The announcers blow. WTF? Stop trying to sell me something, I know WTF I'm looking at.
The Crosby/Bedard sitting there in full uniforms if fucking cringey as all hell.
And Sean McDonough....what the hell happened to you? Stop being such a pussy.

And McDonough and Ferraro are two of the best.  I'm with you on the announcers. I'd just as soon listen to Jack Edwards and his nonsense; at least it's entertaining.  I think the B's are on TNT tonight, so we don't get to hear Edwards say "Welcome to the NHL, Conner!" when Marchand or Lucic knocks him on his ass.

For me, it's a crap shoot as to what's more annoying: the Kelce/Swift nonsense, or the Bedard nonsense.  I agree; why were they sitting there in full get up talking about... nothing, really.  Though Cros - who I'm not the hugest fan of - schooled him on the ice, more or less.  I loved the opening face off; Kelly Sutherland said "Sid, welcome back for another year.  Connor, welcome to the NHL." then he dropped the puck and Bedard never saw it coming.  Crosby had the puck back to his D before Bedard could even take a breath.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #147 on: October 11, 2023, 06:56:46 AM »
I still miss McDonough on the Red Sox broadcasts. He's great on baseball. I find him professional, but extremely average, and not really all that good on hockey. He's too...even, yet it's still better than whoever they had calling the Bolts' game, the excitement was so fake..and late.

And man, Connor Bedard is good though.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: October 11, 2023, 10:22:44 AM »
Dat shot / release.  Man alive, that's next tier.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: October 11, 2023, 10:28:27 AM »

I watched a video of a guy explaining how the stick technology has bore that quick shot/release these players have nowadays. As opposed to the old wooden stick kind of ‘drag’ to create power.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #150 on: October 11, 2023, 03:17:44 PM »

I watched a video of a guy explaining how the stick technology has bore that quick shot/release these players have nowadays. As opposed to the old wooden stick kind of ‘drag’ to create power.

It's like a slingshot now. I also saw a similar/same video a couple of years ago as well.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #151 on: October 11, 2023, 06:01:08 PM »
Well, my mood for opening night went from around a 7-8 to now around a 4-5.  Viktor Arvidsson is not able to play today due to injury.  The Kings have no space and they don't even have one of their younger promising RD players (Brandt Clarke or Jordan Spence) on the opening night roster because they don't want to risk having two of their lesser Dman claimed on waivers.  Also, Arthur Kaliyev got suspended pre-season, going into the start of the season, so the Kings are rolling with only 11 forwards and 6 D today.    AGAINST THE AVS!!!  Oh, and Cam Talbot is starting it seems. 

This is going to be a painful season to grit through.  Todd McLellan, as much as he's done a fine job coaching and navigating this Kings team to taste post-season until a certain point, needs this team to start well.  He may have gotten a one more year extension beyond this season, but this team needs progress and people are concerned if he's the right guy to get them there or not.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2023, 06:24:53 PM by Anguyen92 »

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #152 on: October 11, 2023, 06:15:34 PM »
On another note, Owen Power gets a 7 year deal at $8.35m AAV per year from the Sabres.  Pat Brisson (his agent) knew once that Sanderson contract from the Sens is a go, he can get slightly more for the Owen Power contract.

https://twitter.com/BuffaloSabres/status/1712253077858681234

The Sabres, as controversial as their owners have been from time to time, at least in the now, are not afraid to spend money locking their main guys up (Dahlin, Thompson, Cozens, Owen Power, etc.).

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #153 on: October 11, 2023, 06:18:57 PM »
Tim, B's look good. Pasta invisible without Bregy.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #154 on: October 11, 2023, 06:25:59 PM »
Tim, B's look good. Pasta invisible without Bregy.

I'm a little on tape delay...Carlo just scored. Assist for Poitras!!
Pasta laid a pretty good hit on a dude behind the Blackhawk's net earlier.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: October 11, 2023, 06:38:28 PM »
Offensively,  invisible. That's what he's paid 11 plus million for.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #156 on: October 11, 2023, 06:41:46 PM »
I'm all caught up.  ;D

Chicago has the jump tonight considering they played last night. Bruins need to ratchet it up a bit here.

Where's Debrusk? Is he playing??

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: October 11, 2023, 06:46:03 PM »
Definitely,  Tim.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #158 on: October 11, 2023, 08:08:57 PM »

Good callout. He's on pace for 164 goals! :lol

Connor Bedard is the real deal.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: October 11, 2023, 08:16:49 PM »
Leafs were up and down, but nice to finish with a shootout win. And Matthews will see they 164 pace, and raise to 246!

Always love a hatty for Matty. That dude shows up on opening night!  12 career goals in his 8 season openers.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #160 on: October 11, 2023, 08:21:59 PM »
Leafs were up and down, but nice to finish with a shootout win. And Matthews will see they 164 pace, and raise to 246!

Always love a hatty for Matty. That dude shows up on opening night!  12 career goals in his 8 season openers.

They gave up 5 to Montreal? Yikes!

I thought TNT tonight did a pretty fair job balancing the Bedard nonsense with the actual game, and the kid had a GREAT game. ESPN was overkill with it last night and it was gagworthy.

Speaking of gagworthy, Wayne Gretzky sucks. Big time. He looks ridiculous with that hair color, and he says jackshit. When Paul Bissonette loses his schtick, he's actually pretty good with his commentary.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #161 on: October 11, 2023, 11:13:10 PM »
Well, that was a rough start going against the Avs.  Talbot gave up some soft ones.  Power Play wasn't clicking with no Arvidsson or Kaliyev.  If PLD, Fiala, and Alex Laferriere was able to capitalize on their chances, things could have been more interesting.  That being said, I'm going to like Laferriere.  He had some good looks in his 1st ever NHL game and got into a fight.  Byfield got a goal due to a Makar mis-deflection.  That's something.  Hope that can lead into something promising for him.  He needs a good healthy season for all of our sakes. 

MacKinnon and Rantanen was just torching the team all game.  It's like they took the last game they played against the Kings, where neither of them had points, and went, "That's not happening again."

The road isn't going to be easy going against the Canes next.  No excuses.  Got to deliver, through whatever means.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2023, 09:31:10 AM by Anguyen92 »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: October 12, 2023, 04:31:01 AM »

Good callout. He's on pace for 164 goals! :lol

Connor Bedard is the real deal.

So he finally scored. Lol

Yeah, Bedard is going to be a must watch.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: October 12, 2023, 05:22:40 AM »

Two were on flubs by the defence leading to breakaways (Brodie tripped over himself, and Liljegren flubbed a pass), and two others were deflections (one of them off Brodie’s stick- rough night for him). Can’t blame the goalie for them all… but some very sloppy play in front of him - especially in the first. The Leafs dominated in the 2nd, out shooting them 14-2.

Lol Edmonton. Wowzers!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #164 on: October 12, 2023, 06:33:09 AM »

I thought TNT tonight did a pretty fair job balancing the Bedard nonsense with the actual game, and the kid had a GREAT game. ESPN was overkill with it last night and it was gagworthy.

Speaking of gagworthy, Wayne Gretzky sucks. Big time. He looks ridiculous with that hair color, and he says jackshit. When Paul Bissonette loses his schtick, he's actually pretty good with his commentary.

I couldn't disagree with you more:

TNT overkilled the Bedard thing; frankly, I'm already sick of it.  The kids good, he's not YET the greatest.  He might well be. Let him fucking play. Let him at least face each team once. Let him get to March (he played all 2:00 of an early power play and was fucking GASSED: let's see him do that in the heart of February).  Let the 'Hawks settle into the .500 team they really are.  I did think this was funny, though:

At one point, there was a face-off, and the Fleet Center was playing Taylor Swift and I immediately thought of Travis Kelce, and the announcers were talking - go figure - about Bedard, and I was like "this is the culture we live in now. Sheer overkill." 

Last night wasn't his best, but I LOVE Gretzky on TNT.  More often than not - especially at the end of games, and when there's not a horse to be beaten like Bedard - they let him go off and tell stories and I can watch that for hours.  SO entertaining.   I'm a Paul Bissonette fan too.  I think he's great.  If I don't get to hear Jack Edwards and look at Sofia Jurksztowicz, TNT is a good solid second best.

I think the Bruins played very well. I was impressed.  I like that Poitras kid; like Bedard, he's not shy and he doesn't quit.  I think the back checking was pretty solid for a team that is still assembling itself.  Like with Bedard and the 'hawks, we'll see when the adrenaline wears off and they're in the middle of a ten game road stand, though.  That's where the rubber meets the road. 

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #165 on: October 12, 2023, 07:58:40 AM »

Two were on flubs by the defence leading to breakaways (Brodie tripped over himself, and Liljegren flubbed a pass), and two others were deflections (one of them off Brodie’s stick- rough night for him). Can’t blame the goalie for them all… but some very sloppy play in front of him - especially in the first. The Leafs dominated in the 2nd, out shooting them 14-2.

Lol Edmonton. Wowzers!

Yeah....that wasn't pretty. I let my 7 y/o son stay up to watch the 1st period. Thankfully they only allowed 2 goals in the opening frame. More than once he asked why the oilers were playing so bad lol.

Offline billboy73

« Reply #166 on: October 12, 2023, 11:07:22 AM »
Yeah, didn't see that coming with the Oilers opening game.

I have Edmonton and Carolina in the Stanley Cup final with the Oilers taking it.  Hopefully they won't lose too many games 8-1.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #167 on: October 12, 2023, 12:56:01 PM »
TNT overkilled the Bedard thing;

My guess is that you didn't see the ESPN broadcast the night before. I thought TNT's Bedard coverage was tame compared to ESPN, but at least they showed his mother!!  ;D

If I don't get to hear Jack Edwards and look at Sofia Jurksztowicz,..

You can have her. NESN needs to promote Meredith Gorman.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: October 12, 2023, 01:04:43 PM »

My guess is that you didn't see the ESPN broadcast the night before. I thought TNT's Bedard coverage was tame compared to ESPN, but at least they showed his mother!!  ;D

Hahaha, I'm with you on that last point!  No, I saw both.  It might just be me.  ALL of it is "overkill" to this old man.  :)

Hmmm. I am unfamiliar with the apparently talented Ms. Gorman.  I may have to pay more attention.   

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #169 on: October 12, 2023, 01:09:47 PM »

Hahaha, I'm with you on that last point!  No, I saw both.  It might just be me.  ALL of it is "overkill" to this old man.  :)

Hmmm. I am unfamiliar with the apparently talented Ms. Gorman.  I may have to pay more attention.

NESN.com

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #170 on: October 12, 2023, 01:21:58 PM »
Well, Viktor Arvidsson is going to go on LTIR.  I had a feeling this was going to happen at some point in this season.  At least, the Kings should have the ability to ice a full-roster now if they please while he's gone.  They just couldn't do it yesterday due to the timing and CBA rules on when you can put a player on LTIR.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #171 on: October 12, 2023, 02:13:22 PM »

TNT overkilled the Bedard thing; frankly, I'm already sick of it.  The kids good, he's not YET the greatest.  He might well be. Let him fucking play. Let him at least face each team once. Let him get to March (he played all 2:00 of an early power play and was fucking GASSED: let's see him do that in the heart of February).  Let the 'Hawks settle into the .500 team they really are.  I did think this was funny, though:

At one point, there was a face-off, and the Fleet Center was playing Taylor Swift and I immediately thought of Travis Kelce, and the announcers were talking - go figure - about Bedard, and I was like "this is the culture we live in now. Sheer overkill." 

So what you're saying is he's no Patrick Mahomes  ;D
Photobucket sucks.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: October 12, 2023, 03:15:40 PM »
:clap:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: October 12, 2023, 05:33:55 PM »
 :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: October 13, 2023, 07:26:28 AM »

So what you're saying is he's no Patrick Mahomes  ;D

Apparently that was a great joke, because Joe and Chad are clapping - and I'm smiling as I write that  :D - but to be honest, I'm not sure I follow.  He's EXACTLY Patrick Mahomes.