Author Topic: NHL 2023-2024: Playoff Time. Hello Darkness.....  (Read 25305 times)

Offline Anguyen92

Re: NHL 2023-2024: Mike Babcock already out of Columbus (Shocking.....)
« Reply #105 on: September 18, 2023, 06:46:40 PM »
If I can inject some humor out of all of this mess, one thing I learned about this whole thing with the Columbus Blue Jackets.  They had a mascot called Boomer....

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #106 on: September 19, 2023, 07:16:34 AM »
Blues to announced their new captain today. It’s one of two players. Brayden Schenn or Robert Thomas. Schenn has the grit and is a veteran and is who everyone thought should have gotten it over OReily. He’d be perfect. BUT, Robert Thomas is starting his eight year, $8 mil a year contract this year. He’s won a cup and is a top level player….so, it could be him for the longevity factor. He’d certainly grow into the role. If it’s me….I go Thomas simply due to his age and future. Schenn is older and oft injured.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #107 on: September 19, 2023, 07:27:58 AM »
What does it matter? Surely the Blues season is over with a pre-season injury to Torey Krug. :D
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: September 19, 2023, 09:18:44 AM »
What does it matter? Surely the Blues season is over with a pre-season injury to Torey Krug. :D

:lol  I’d be telling Krug that’s a season ending injury.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #109 on: September 20, 2023, 09:53:28 AM »
We're not ready for this to be a reality.  Brad Marchand is now the captain of the Bruins.

https://twitter.com/NHLBruins/status/1704504729118609499

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #110 on: September 20, 2023, 11:17:43 AM »
We're not ready for this to be a reality.  Brad Marchand is now the captain of the Bruins.

Watch out league!  :lol :lol

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #111 on: September 20, 2023, 11:17:54 AM »

I'm ready!!!!  :) :) :) :)

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: NHL 2023-2024: Almost time for Training Camp
« Reply #112 on: September 20, 2023, 12:08:28 PM »
Actually.....the press briefing released by the NHL clearly states that the 'C' on Marchands jersey stands for 'cunt'

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #113 on: September 20, 2023, 12:12:36 PM »
Actually.....the press briefing released by the NHL clearly states that the 'C' on Marchands jersey stands for 'cunt'

You know, I was surprised that after a week in Scotland I did not hear that damn word once!
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #114 on: September 20, 2023, 12:16:16 PM »
I can't wait for him to lick a ref's face after a bad call.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #115 on: September 20, 2023, 12:46:23 PM »
Why so buthurt everyone?  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: September 20, 2023, 12:48:37 PM »

You know, I was surprised that after a week in Scotland I did not hear that damn word once!

What!? Every TV show and movie would have you believe it's used in every other sentence uttered....

Offline faizoff

« Reply #117 on: September 20, 2023, 02:36:11 PM »

What!? Every TV show and movie would have you believe it's used in every other sentence uttered....

Speaking of Scottish people, in one of the audio commentaries of a Breaking Bad episode, they had Laura Fraser who plays Lydia. I'd forgotten she's Scottish as her American accent is so convincing in the show. On the commentary when everyone is saying their goodbyes, she signs out "Alright see ya later ya fukin cunts" cracking up everyone.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #118 on: September 20, 2023, 07:32:44 PM »

Yeah, that makes more sense to me.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #119 on: September 21, 2023, 06:51:49 AM »

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #120 on: September 21, 2023, 12:21:25 PM »
Nah, wouldn't ever want him on my team. To me he moved past "he's an asshole but he's our asshole" territory. Maybe he's settled down, but I would've been embarrassed to see prime shit-stirrer Marchand ever wearing my team's jersey.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #121 on: September 21, 2023, 12:40:06 PM »
I thought that too with Ken Linesman.  but when he became a Bruin, I loved him. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: NHL 2023-2024: Training Camp Time. Let's see who makes the rosters.
« Reply #122 on: September 28, 2023, 06:10:02 AM »
First, anyone interested in participating in a fantasy draft?  I've never run one before, but there are enough free draft manager sites out there, I'm sure I could figure it out.  I'm guessing 8 would be the minimum to play; 10 or 12 would be better.

Separately, anyone want to join a pool that I've been part of for about 7 years?  It's $20CAD, and pretty straight forward with picks (it's not a draft).  There's usually 100 people in it, first prize last year was $1200 I think (top 5 get in the money - I placed 4th a few years back; jingle.son was 5th last year).
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Anguyen92

Re: NHL 2023-2024: Pre-Season Time. Let's see who makes the rosters.
« Reply #123 on: September 28, 2023, 04:34:55 PM »
So what's everyone's thoughts on their teams for this presesaon thus far?  Mine is with so much little space, the Kings is going to have a hard time thinking about moving down guys to the AHL like Alex Laferriere or Akil Thomas (who somehow scored a hat trick against the Golden Knights who iced a fair amount of their cup winning core that game).  Both look all right so far this preseason.  Also that 3rd Right Defense player spot isn't going to be easy to determine as Jordan Spence and Brandt Clarke looked solid enough in preseason thus far.  Internal competition and people looking to want to earn a roster spot is good to see.  Just makes it hard for the organization to make the final decision.

In other news, Andrei Vasilevskiy has gone through back surgery and will out for two months of the season.  The Bolts need a goalie and I think they may have an eye for someone through the waiver wire while they get through what looks to be a huge hill to climb for the first two months of the season in a highly contested Atlantic division.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 04:40:40 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: September 28, 2023, 05:28:41 PM »
So what's everyone's thoughts on their teams for this presesaon thus far? 

I think the Blues have done a good job getting bigger and 'heavier' on the forward front and honestly, have a solid four lines. I don't think the offense will be their issue. They're issue will remain at D and if they can actually defend this year. They got pushed around a lot last year by the opposition and they've not done really anything to improve that....well....because they can't. They're tied to the players they have signed so it's kind of in the players court to man up and simply play better. I can't imagine they can do worse than last season but it is the Blues so I'm sure they can find a way to outdo themselves.

And as always.....we will play the game of watching Binnington be an overpaid average goalie who will make three saves a game he shouldn't and let four shots a game that he should stop in his sleep go in. Now that the homer Pang isn't there to try and brainwash the viewers into believing nothing is Binnington's fault....that'll be interesting to see how he's treated.

I think the Blues will make the playoffs though....win a first round series and stay competitive in the second. I just don't think they have a team that can make a deep run due to their D corps.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #125 on: September 28, 2023, 06:16:24 PM »
Red Wings are almost definitely better than last season, with DeBrincat up front and some good depth grit and scoring.

Biggest problem is they likely aren't cup contenders, and their window in a few years is made murkier by the fact that we have Holl and Chariot at overpays now and that will only get worse, and Compher who should be a great add now might also add to that in a few years. Still, I really think they could hit the playoffs again finally, which is exciting.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: September 29, 2023, 04:32:22 AM »
Tampa's in for a rough start to the season it seems. 
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #128 on: October 01, 2023, 12:02:47 PM »

I'm pretty thrilled with the Devils off-season/preseason. Losing Graves and Severson hurts the defense for sure, but Luke Hughes was already playing well enough to warrant 20+ minutes of ice time per game after only joining the team from college late in the spring, and Simon Nemec is also one of the highest rated D prospects in the league and may be ready to make the jump from the AHL this season. The forward group looks to be even better than last season with the shrewd Toffoli trade. Alexander Holtz, who has spent the last couple years playing very well in the AHL but not well enough when he's been called up, has been flashing some in the games so far. I think we'll also benefit from a full off-season with Timo Meier to really figure out the best line combinations, versus trying to incorporate him on the fly when we first acquired him. The goaltending isn't outstanding, but it should be good enough given the talent elsewhere. Especially if we can avoid  overworking one netminder in the regular season.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: October 05, 2023, 08:22:28 PM »
Jesus H there are some hot fucking takes in the nhl.com power rankings this week:

PAUL STRIZHEVSKY

1. Vegas Golden Knights; 2. Carolina Hurricanes; 3. Florida Panthers; 4. Dallas Stars; 5. Toronto Maple Leafs; 6. Edmonton Oilers; 7. New Jersey Devils; 8. Seattle Kraken; 9. New York Rangers; 10. Colorado Avalanche; 11. Minnesota Wild; 12. Pittsburgh Penguins; 13. Los Angeles Kings; 14. Ottawa Senators; 15. Detroit Red Wings; 16. Buffalo Sabres

TRACEY MYERS

1. Vegas Golden Knights; 2. Dallas Stars; 3. New Jersey Devils; 4. Florida Panthers; 5. Seattle Kraken; 6. Colorado Avalanche; 7. Carolina Hurricanes; 8. Boston Bruins; 9. Edmonton Oilers; 10. Los Angeles Kings; 11. Toronto Maple Leafs; 12. New York Rangers; 13. Minnesota Wild; 14. Tampa Bay Lightning; 15. New York Islanders; 16. Arizona Coyotes

I just don’t even ….

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #130 on: October 06, 2023, 09:11:32 AM »
The Panthers are going to be neutered with injuries on their blue line this season, so I'm not sure why those people are gung-ho about putting them in the top 5 in power rankings.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: October 06, 2023, 09:47:24 AM »
Agreed... plus, you never know which version of Bobs is going to show up for the season.

Both of those writers are fucked.  Ottawa, Detroit, AND Buffalo ahead of the Lightning AND Boston ... the latter 2 not even on the list (ie, in the bottom 1/2 of the league)?

Tracey's takes have got to be a troll.  Kraken #5?  Carolina #7?  Toronto #11?  Arizona #16?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #132 on: October 06, 2023, 10:37:43 AM »

Ask me again in 10 days.

I just secured my Kings "birthday club" tickets for the 10/14 game.  My son (whose birthday is during the off-season) will probably secure his for the Thanksgiving weekend game.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #133 on: October 06, 2023, 10:58:08 AM »
Having the Panthers anywhere near the top 10 is silly. A Cinderella run to the final doesn't mean shit (see Oilers 2005-06). We're talking about a team that only made the playoffs because other teams lost on the last day of the season.

And in what reality is Boston going from record breaking season to finishing in the cellar? I don't pay attention to 'analyst' power rankings for this exact reason.  While some might provide insights using real info or metrics,  lots just want some attention. It's like predicting the stock market: you can be wrong 99/100 times,  and nobody cares/notices. You predict a single dark horse that actually emerges, and you look brilliant.

PAUL STRIZHEVSKY (don't even know who he is) is hoping to look brilliant,  and i very much hope the internet throws that ranking in his face when it's laughably wrong at the end of this season.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: October 06, 2023, 11:25:51 AM »
To be fair, the actual rankings are an amalgamation of 13 different nhl.com writers.  They're usually pretty reasonable (below is the current ranking).  Most are fairly consistent, but some are fucking clowns... like these two.  I just posted it because I thought it was good for a laugh nhl.com/Network employs people that publish this tripe.

1. Knights; 2. Canes; 3. Stars; 4. Leafs; 5. Devils; 6. Avs; 7. Oilers; 8. Bruins; 9. Rangers; 10. Kings; 11. Panthers; 12. Kraken; 13. Penguins; 14. Bolts; 15. Wild; 16. Sabres.

I think those are pretty reasonable.  I'd personally put NYR ahead of the Bs, and swap the Bolts/Panthers.  I think the Bolts can play at or just above .500 hockey with my plumber in net, so they to be in good shape to have a solid back 2/3 of the season.

I think it's gonna be a hard fought battle between Fla, Bos, Tampa, Buf and Ottawa for spots 2-6 in the Atlantic.  On paper, the Leafs should be in good shape to take pole position; Buf/Ott are on the rise, while Bos/TB are looking to be on the decline (for understandable reasons), while Fla would do good just to hold even.  Then throw in Pitt/NYI, for 4th spot in the Metro.  I'm very intrigued to see how Pitt fares.  The East is gonna be stacked.  My bold prediction (I think I've made it here already) ... The Atlantic will send 5 to the Playoffs, and one of Bos/Fla will not make it.  Although, with Vasy's injury, it's conceivable TB falls to 5th or 6th.

Of course, imagine if another team (Columbus?) has a Devils-esque 49 point improvement to really mess things up.

God I love hockey.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline romdrums

« Reply #136 on: October 09, 2023, 07:30:11 AM »
Dahlin extended for 8x$11M

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/sabres-sign-rasmus-dahlin-to-eight-year-88m-extension

Did he just finish a bridge deal? That seems like a huge second contract.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: October 09, 2023, 07:37:27 AM »
Dahlin extended for 8x$11M

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/sabres-sign-rasmus-dahlin-to-eight-year-88m-extension

Did he just finish a bridge deal? That seems like a huge second contract.

Yeah... he is wrapping up a 3x$6M contract this year.

Offline billboy73

« Reply #138 on: October 10, 2023, 08:17:30 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lZ-0-N4wwQ

Excited to watch some games tonight.  I love watching this video.  The ESPN NHL theme was a huge part of my childhood, along with the great Gary Thorne on the call.  I was so happy when ESPN started covering the league again a couple of years ago.  When Barry Melrose hands over the conductor wand I always lose it.

Ready for another great season!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: NHL 2023-2024: Opening Week Time. May our teams have a good start.
« Reply #139 on: October 10, 2023, 11:03:24 AM »
Predictions time.  Bold (literally) are my playoff predictions

Atlantic:
Toronto
Tampa
Buffalo
Boston
Ottawa

Florida
Detroit
Montreal

Metro:
Carolina
New Jersey
Pittsburgh

New York Rangers
New York Islanders
Coumbus
Washington
Philadelphia

Central
Dallas
Colorado
Winnipeg
Minnesota

Nashville
St. Louis
Chicago
Arizona

West
Edmonton
Vegas
LA
Vancouver

Calgary
Seattle
Anaheim
San Jose