Author Topic: Celebrity death thread  (Read 23573 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Celebrity death thread
« Reply #525 on: April 18, 2024, 01:45:28 PM »
Oh wow.  RIP

I have a good friend who will be absolutely devastated over this one.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #526 on: April 18, 2024, 01:59:33 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #527 on: April 18, 2024, 06:32:52 PM »
Same here, I remember it being such a thing but not fully understanding at that time.

I was in 5th grade when the trial was happening, and the day they reached a verdict I was in the cafeteria. They had the trial playing on the TV. Why they had a murder trial playing in an elementary school I don't know. Anyway, when they said not guilty, the entire cafeteria cheered. Thinking about it now, did they even know why they were celebrating? Were all those kids fans of OJ? 8-10 year olds celebrating the verdict of a retired 80's football player? I didn't think this at the time, but I was rather annoyed and indifferent because I didn't care.

I think even at 10 years old, I knew it was ridiculous that they actually convinced a jury that because the glove didn't fit, he couldn't have still used it, and that he was very clearly guilty.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #528 on: April 18, 2024, 07:42:16 PM »
In your elementary school? wtf

I only ever saw images of the trial as I was going outside to play with the other kids, but it was on constantly at any house I went to. Never knew much more than that until years later.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #529 on: April 18, 2024, 07:56:40 PM »
I was in my 1st year of marriage when the verdict came down.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Harmony

« Reply #530 on: April 21, 2024, 02:17:09 PM »
I was in 5th grade when the trial was happening, and the day they reached a verdict I was in the cafeteria. They had the trial playing on the TV. Why they had a murder trial playing in an elementary school I don't know. Anyway, when they said not guilty, the entire cafeteria cheered. Thinking about it now, did they even know why they were celebrating? Were all those kids fans of OJ? 8-10 year olds celebrating the verdict of a retired 80's football player? I didn't think this at the time, but I was rather annoyed and indifferent because I didn't care.

I think even at 10 years old, I knew it was ridiculous that they actually convinced a jury that because the glove didn't fit, he couldn't have still used it, and that he was very clearly guilty.

Were you in California?  Predominantly African American school?

I've been hearing some discussion on the cheering that went on and a good portion of it was from black folk who were a) still pissed off about Rodney King  b) just happy to see a brother get another brother off (Cochran) and c) were tired of the judicial system seemingly come down more harshly on black men than white men.  I'm sure some felt he was truly innocent but in retrospect it may have been less to do with OJ himself.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #531 on: April 21, 2024, 02:39:31 PM »
b) just happy to see a brother get another brother off

Nowadays we can see that with just a few clicks on the internet...

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #532 on: April 21, 2024, 02:44:19 PM »
 :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #533 on: April 21, 2024, 06:03:29 PM »

I've been hearing some discussion on the cheering that went on and a good portion of it was from black folk who were a) still pissed off about Rodney King  b) just happy to see a brother get another brother off (Cochran) and c) were tired of the judicial system seemingly come down more harshly on black men than white men.  I'm sure some felt he was truly innocent but in retrospect it may have been less to do with OJ himself.

I was in high school, and similar to Zook, the verdict came down while I was in lunch hour in the cafeteria.  I watched on TV and there were cheers from the blacks, and those who were white and friends with all of the black kids in school, and also some jeers from the white kids.  In fact, I recall the one white rapper kid said something about Rodney King. 

A few of the jurors were interviewed in that 30 for 30 about OJ's trial and they fully admitted that the OJ verdict was complete retribution against the city of Los Angeles for what happened to Rodney King.

Offline coz

« Reply #534 on: April 21, 2024, 11:12:55 PM »
Nowadays we can see that with just a few clicks on the internet...

Not my ideal mental image.  Thanks man!
~Carlos
We made a land where crap is king and the good don't last too long.
https://www.last.fm/user/coz2112

Offline pg1067

« Reply #535 on: April 22, 2024, 10:47:27 AM »

These are all super valid points.  If the OJ trial happened 5 years earlier or 5-10 years later, he may well have been convicted.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #536 on: April 22, 2024, 10:19:00 PM »

Nope, Florida. This was so long ago that my memory can't be totally reliable anymore, but it sure did seem like the whole damn cafeteria cheered.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #537 on: April 23, 2024, 06:39:45 AM »

And what did she say? 

It only took about two weeks for the first verdict to come down in MY first marriage. 

Oh, wait... you're talking about something else......

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #538 on: April 23, 2024, 05:27:49 PM »

I was in my last year of marriage.  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #539 on: April 25, 2024, 07:23:54 AM »
Assuming this is the correct place to post this... (Mods, please move if it's not),

Mike Pinder of the Moody Blues has passed away. RIP one of the greatest songwriters and keyboard wizards of all time.

The Moody Blues are my dad's favorite band, so I grew up listening to them with him. Their music was an important part of my childhood. I believe this early exposure set the stage for my future love of other bands, DT especially.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #540 on: April 25, 2024, 07:26:22 AM »
Oh no, that's sad news. I'm a fan of the band since a few years back. He's the third now (well, fourth with Denny Laine) from the band who has passed. Ray Thomas and Graeme Edge are the others.

I'll be spinning some MB tonight.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #541 on: April 25, 2024, 08:04:19 AM »
I recognize that this may not be a celebrity to many other people here than myself, but I feel like Daniel Dennett deserves at least a mention. An actual giant of modern philosophy. There aren't too many of those around these days, and now there's one less. I've had my issues with his theory of compatibalist free will, but for anyone in this field there is no denying the impact and influence of his work.

Online crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #542 on: April 25, 2024, 11:42:40 AM »
Oh no, that's sad news. I'm a fan of the band since a few years back. He's the third now (well, fourth with Denny Laine) from the band who has passed. Ray Thomas and Graeme Edge are the others.

I'll be spinning some MB tonight.

I used to go and see them as a kid with my parents. The last show I saw was the 50th anniversary, which I believe was the last tour with Graeme Edge. I never got to see Mike Pinder because sadly he left the band before my time. 😞

It all just made me think about the fact that we need to hold dear the moments with our bands, and not take anything for granted.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #543 on: April 25, 2024, 11:54:41 AM »
damn RIP. I love the moody blues :(
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #544 on: April 26, 2024, 07:25:24 AM »
I used to go and see them as a kid with my parents. The last show I saw was the 50th anniversary, which I believe was the last tour with Graeme Edge. I never got to see Mike Pinder because sadly he left the band before my time. 😞

It all just made me think about the fact that we need to hold dear the moments with our bands, and not take anything for granted.

That's a very real sentiment.  I am not one of those that takes the artists I like into my life too much; I read posts about people being "devastated" by [so-and-so's] death, and I can't admit to having any of those feelings, but I do know that certain deaths - Chris Squire for one, John Wetton for two - have changed how I listen to certain pieces.   Going For The One has always been my favorite album of all time, but listening to "Turn Of The Century", which to me was fundamentally about the way love between people transcends life, and "Awaken", which to me has always been about a more cosmic interpretation of love - using song as a metaphor - resonates far beyond the mortal world has really taken on new meaning for me after realizing that Chris wasn't with us physically, but perhaps is still with us existentially (and I've since applied that to my parents, who I lost going on two years ago now).

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #545 on: April 27, 2024, 06:54:09 AM »

A few years back I decided that I would go to as many shows as I can for bands that I'm a fan of. You never know when it'll be the last go around.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #546 on: April 27, 2024, 06:33:56 PM »
A few years back I decided that I would go to as many shows as I can for bands that I'm a fan of. You never know when it'll be the last go around.
I'm in the same boat.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #547 on: April 27, 2024, 09:01:05 PM »
That was my primary lesson from the pandemic... Appreciate and hit all shows possible, cause one day they may dissappear again...