Author Topic: Yes studio albums countdown thread! (# 01 featured!)  (Read 7756 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Yes studio albums countdown thread! (# 01 featured!)
« on: June 27, 2023, 05:46:33 PM »
Alright, as I am a man of the people, let's do this. :biggrin:

List your top 15 favorite Yes albums.

I was a little wary about doing this one, given that the more prog-influenced countdowns haven't has as much participation, so I am counting on the hardcore prog fans to come through and participate in this one! ;) :coolio

Send your list to me via PM.

The rules:
-Albums must be listed from 15 to 1 in order (in reverse order), with no ties.  No having three albums at number 1 or anything like that.  DO NOT list your albums with the points total. List them in your order (I will figure out the points on my end).
-Any list submitted with the albums not numbered will be ignored.
-Anyone wanting to submit a list must do so by the end of day, Saturday, July 15th.  I will then begin the countdown shortly thereafter.
-The list will be tallied numerically in a simple way. On each list, whatever album is at number 1 gets 15 points, number 2 gets 14 points, number 3 gets 13 points, etc.
-PROOFREAD YOUR LISTS BEFORE SENDING THEM.  Any list with the same album mentioned twice will be not be counted.

Feel free to post in this thread as well that you have PM'd me, if for no other reason than to bump this back up for others who may want to participate who may not have seen the thread yet.

This ranking engine link below works great if you have too much difficulty making one on your own. You can input all of the albums you want, and then you pick your favorite of every 1 on 1 matchup and then it spits out your list.

https://rankingengine.pubmeeple.com/

Two notes:
1) I am listing Keystudio as one album, which makes more sense that listing to the two Keys albums separately, especially since both are partial live albums.
2) Fly from Here can only be listed once, so a vote for the original counts as the same as a vote for the Return Trip version.  Whichever version you like best is the one you can list, but you cannot list the two separate versions to take up two spots.

Final list:

22 Heaven & Earth
21 The Quest
20 Mirror to the Sky
19 Open Your Eyes
18 Yes
17 Magnification
16 Union
15 Time and a Word
14 Fly from Here
13 The Ladder
12 Tormato
11 Big Generator
10 Keystudio
09 Talk
08 90125
07 Tales from Topographic Oceans
06 Drama
05 The Yes Album
04 Relayer
03 Going for the One
02 Fragile
01 Close to the Edge
« Last Edit: July 28, 2023, 06:12:45 AM by KevShmev »

Online The Letter M

Sweet! I'm all in. I'll try to get my list in by the end of thebweek if I can remember to!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline jammindude

I really like that you are doing it this way. I honestly haven’t heard every single Yes album and if we were required to rank their entire catalog, I don’t think I would participate.  But making a top 15 seems much more reasonable. I will try to get on this.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Easiest list ever. Sent.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Do I have to place ‘Power Windows’ in the Top Five in order for my list to be accepted? 
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Do I have to place ‘Power Windows’ in the Top Five in order for my list to be accepted?

It doesn't even belong in the Rush countdown.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son

It doesn't even belong in the Rush countdown.
:rollin
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Mladen

I'll play along, this will be cool.  :tup

Offline DTA

List is submitted...I was kind of surprised by how high certain albums were

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Yeah, I'll send one of these in.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
Re: Yes studio albums countdown thread! (Top 15 lists due by July 15th!!)
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2023, 08:06:19 AM »
Smart decision to do a top 15! A few of their discography I never listened to and there are around 15 Yes albums that I like or really love. l will also send a list.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2023, 08:46:27 AM »
There was no chance I was going to do this with asking for every album to be ranked. Heck, I still haven't heard any of Mirror to the Sky, and I have zero plans to do so any time soon. I was fine doing my own top 15 without having heard it.

Online HOF

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2023, 09:04:07 AM »
I'll have to give a listen to at least 5 more albums to be able to participate in this one. I'll see if I can manage that by the 15th.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2023, 09:19:32 AM »
I'm in.  PM sent.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2023, 09:54:21 AM »
I really like that you are doing it this way. I honestly haven’t heard every single Yes album and if we were required to rank their entire catalog, I don’t think I would participate.  But making a top 15 seems much more reasonable. I will try to get on this.

Wow...I just noticed the top 15.  I was thinking the bottom of the barrel would be an absolute crap shoot.  This makes it MUCH easier!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2023, 10:32:33 AM »
I will probably still rank all of them, to have it for myself, but just send in my Top 15.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2023, 02:07:13 PM »
List submitted!

I was QUITE surprised at how a couple of albums ended up being ranked in the sorter, though given how there are some albums I rarely listen to these days, it really doesn't surprise me as to which ones ended up not making the cut (and ranking 22-16).

By the way, if anyone copies their list from the ranker/sorter but needs to reverse it, use this site to quickly reverse line-items in text!

https://www.gillmeister-software.com/online-tools/text/reverse-sort-list.aspx

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2023, 03:33:12 PM »
Marc, your Inbox was full, but I received your list.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2023, 07:36:44 PM »
I have every Yes album, but I really only care for maybe 8 of them. Might try to put to put a list together.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2023, 07:31:34 AM »
Sent.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2023, 11:08:33 PM »
This countdown will be fun--thank you Kev!!

I wasn't the least bit familiar with their '90s albums and so that's what I'm starting with on this deep dive. Is it a popular opinion among hardcore fans that "Be the One" is one of the best songs from this era?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2023, 05:46:29 AM »

I wasn't the least bit familiar with their '90s albums and so that's what I'm starting with on this deep dive. Is it a popular opinion among hardcore fans that "Be the One" is one of the best songs from this era?

Not sure.  I can speak only for myself, but I find the majority of songs on Keystudio to be a bit clunky melodically far too often.  The music is great across the board, definitely harkening back to their 70s prog stylings, but there just seem to be a lot of moments where the melody Anderson is singing just doesn't land right (and there are many that do land right for me). 

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2023, 09:24:17 AM »
My favorite from that period is "Mind Drive" though there are those who prefer "Be the One" or even "That, That Is".

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2023, 07:53:38 PM »
My favorite from that period is "Mind Drive" though there are those who prefer "Be the One" or even "That, That Is".

The long intro of Mind Drive might be favorite Yes "moment" post-1994.  The rest of the song is what I would classify as good, but that intro is incredible. 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2023, 09:06:23 PM »
Count me in as the guy who was immediately smitten with That, That Is.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2023, 09:13:29 PM »
The intro to Mind Drive helps elevate it from good to very good and the middle section ("and so it comes to this now...") pushes it to great for me.

"That, That Is" is my fave from the first two.  "Be the One" has some good parts, but I have never gotten over the weird, clumsy beginning.  Those drum fills sound like someone stumbling and falling down on a bunch of boxes or something and somehow the song starts from there.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2023, 06:24:13 AM »
Just to give this a bump. 

Sent
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2023, 08:10:18 AM »
Only 12 lists thus far, with less than a week left.

Online HOF

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2023, 01:04:36 PM »
Yeah, don’t think this one is going to happen for me. I started on the albums I don’t know and just didn’t have the interest to continue. Will try to follow a long with the reveals though.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2023, 01:25:14 PM »
Yeah my top 8 was easy, but there's too many albums I'm either not familiar with or just don't care about. Think I'll sit this one out.

Online HOF

« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2023, 01:33:12 PM »
Definitely feels like there are more Yes albums in existence than necessary. I enjoy the ones I own, and that’s a solid career’s worth for most bands. But I don’t love their music enough to own 20+ albums of it by a dozen different lineup permutations.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2023, 01:35:18 PM »
About to send mine. I have a feeling it will be pretty unique.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2023, 05:23:25 PM »
I'll be submitting my list in the next couple of days. I listened to The Quest for the first time last night and it took a very long time because I kept playing "Future Memories" over and over. That's a really lovely song.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2023, 06:20:51 AM »
Yeah, don’t think this one is going to happen for me. I started on the albums I don’t know and just didn’t have the interest to continue. Will try to follow a long with the reveals though.

Yeah my top 8 was easy, but there's too many albums I'm either not familiar with or just don't care about. Think I'll sit this one out.

Go with what you have. I mean, I think I've submitted for every list except for Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree, who I ACTIVELY dislike.

I'm a big Yes fan, but have not heard The Quest or the new one.  I'm not sweating it; they don't make the cut.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2023, 09:47:11 AM »

Go with what you have. I mean, I think I've submitted for every list except for Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree, who I ACTIVELY dislike.

I'm a big Yes fan, but have not heard The Quest or the new one.  I'm not sweating it; they don't make the cut.

Some of the difficulty was obviated for me by this being limited to 15 albums.  Had I needed to include all the albums, it would've been a tough one.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung