Author Topic: Nospūn  (Read 436 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Nospūn
« on: June 21, 2023, 01:58:01 PM »
Hey, just wanted to let know about these guys.  Kind of a hometown band, based in Charlotte NC.  They are a progressive metal band, with a sound not far from Haken or the heavier side of Dream Theater.  Very tasty instrumental sections.  I just listened to their debut album, Opus, and was pretty impressed.  I heartily endorse them if you like Haken, DT, or similar bands, although they don't sound exactly like any of them (thank God).

The album is on Spotify and Bandcamp and probably the other assorted usual places.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Nospūn
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2023, 01:59:48 PM »
I'll definitely be checking them out soon. Glasser sent me the big song from that album as part of my current roulette and I loved it (indeed it won the round).

At least on that one song I've heard, I definitely agree with the Haken influence, but crucially it's not just stylistic copying but they actually do a good job of hitting the qualities that make Haken's music exciting. Definitely looking forward to hearing the whole album.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2023, 02:10:31 PM »
I'll definitely be checking them out soon. Glasser sent me the big song from that album as part of my current roulette and I loved it (indeed it won the round).

At least on that one song I've heard, I definitely agree with the Haken influence, but crucially it's not just stylistic copying but they actually do a good job of hitting the qualities that make Haken's music exciting. Definitely looking forward to hearing the whole album.
:tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2023, 02:15:12 PM »
Yea I’ve spun this about three times thanks to Tom’s recommendation  :tup  good stuff!

Something about this album reminded me of the band Odd Logic, which is not a bad thing at all.

Edit: I also hear a bit of David Maxim Micic in here :tup
« Last Edit: June 21, 2023, 02:48:54 PM by twosuitsluke »

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2023, 02:16:00 PM »
With an upcoming roulette I'll leave this one on the shelf for now....

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2023, 02:54:26 PM »
I also hear a bit of David Maxim Micic in here :tup
Yes, I agree with you!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2023, 02:56:37 PM »
With an upcoming roulette I'll leave this one on the shelf for now....

Round 1 sent!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2023, 11:47:38 AM »
I listened to this album the other night. Easily FFO Haken. If anything, it hits upon the earlier sound of Haken that they moved away from from The Mountain, so we're back full circle again.