Author Topic: Tell me about Johnny the Fox by Thin Lizzy  (Read 4097 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Tell me about Johnny the Fox by Thin Lizzy
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2023, 07:58:41 PM »
Old Town is such a great song. I loved the cover the Corrs did on it.

https://youtu.be/Pz167LHlNMA?t=3453
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2023, 08:18:58 PM »
Old Town is such a great song. I loved the cover the Corrs did on it.

https://youtu.be/Pz167LHlNMA?t=3453

sooooo Phil    the walking off by himself down the pier always shook me up... The Rocker
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2023, 03:20:21 AM »
What I really like about that video is that after going to Dublin, I can totally envision the scene.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2023, 08:22:24 AM »
Why Johnnie The Fox?

Probably wants an in with Jimmy the Weed.

You beat me to it! Serves me right for not coming to DTF yesterday!

Anyway, I was a late-comer to Thin Lizzy. I get the hype. The twin guitar attack, and Phil...what a songwriter. The guy is a storyteller. Just a great tone to his voice, witty delivery, and just so much talent. And his bass playing was very underrated, IMO.

Johnny the Fox was my second album Thin Lizzy album purchase after Jailbreak. I love it. I have the entire catalog.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2023, 09:10:26 AM »
What I really like about that video is that after going to Dublin, I can totally envision the scene.

Phil is a ROCKSTAR   a Rockstar's Rockstar.... the list  of who he influenced and bands that came out of Thin Lizzy could be whole thread in itself.   

did anyone see that new Phil Lynott movie done by the bass player in U2?

I really like this 4 part piece on Phil and Lizzy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHVHpbAInD0&ab_channel=ZappaIrl
« Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 09:41:36 AM by EPICVIEW »
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2023, 10:12:22 AM »
Spending the morning listening to the Thin Lizzy catalog. Man...this band was so, so good.

Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2023, 10:22:30 AM »
Spending the morning listening to the Thin Lizzy catalog. Man...this band was so, so good.

:tup      sooooooooo good....we lost Phil way too young

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2023, 10:33:45 AM »
I found this pic a while back and I LOVE IT

PHIL AND SIR PAUL    2 of my total favs and fav bass players , singers, songwriters , front men and LEGENDS

https://twitter.com/barneyhurley1/status/1315768685689212930

Offline HOF

« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2023, 10:47:44 AM »
I can attest to Jailbreak being excellent and worth the 36 minutes of your time it takes to play the whole thing. I still need to explore some of their other albums, though I think I did start on Johnny the Fox once and didn't finish. Will have to give it another go.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2023, 07:53:48 PM »

You beat me to it! Serves me right for not coming to DTF yesterday!

Anyway, I was a late-comer to Thin Lizzy. I get the hype. The twin guitar attack, and Phil...what a songwriter. The guy is a storyteller. Just a great tone to his voice, witty delivery, and just so much talent. And his bass playing was very underrated, IMO.

Johnny the Fox was my second album Thin Lizzy album purchase after Jailbreak. I love it. I have the entire catalog.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2023, 04:12:14 PM »
I had Fools Gold stuck in my head all day.  :hat

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2023, 04:13:06 PM »
It's gold, fool.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2023, 04:41:53 PM »
Old Flame feels like a standout as well.  That guitar solo just oozes with feel.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2023, 05:03:35 PM »
I'm glad you're enjoying it. It's a real nice record.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2023, 07:31:43 PM »
Yeah, it's an easy listen.  The short length helps, but I dig the overall laid back vibe, and it doesn't feel like anything overstays its welcome or is shortchanged.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2023, 07:40:21 PM »
 :tup

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2023, 08:33:47 AM »
I want to like Thin Lizzy so bad, but... I just can't.  I love the twin guitar attack, I love Robbo - his Motorhead record is by far my favorite, and I dig Wild Horses with Jimmy Bain - but I can't get past Phil's voice. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2023, 11:53:33 AM »
I want to like Thin Lizzy so bad, but... I just can't.  I love the twin guitar attack, I love Robbo - his Motorhead record is by far my favorite, and I dig Wild Horses with Jimmy Bain - but I can't get past Phil's voice.

I understand. But man, there's so much great music, but I can see it if a vocalist gets in the way. Speaking of that, I should try and hit the next Yes album.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2023, 02:04:28 PM »

I understand. But man, there's so much great music, but I can see it if a vocalist gets in the way. Speaking of that, I should try and hit the next Yes album.

head scratcher for me as I love Phils voice   but its all subjective as we know

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2023, 06:52:34 PM »
Okay, music fans, Jailbreak and Bad Reputation have been purchased and added to my iTunes and iPhone for future listening.  :tup :tup

I cannot promise I will get to them in the next day or two, but soon enough. I enjoyed the heck out of Johnny the Fox today when running some errands and decided I needed more, so I took the plunge and grabbed some more.  :coolio :coolio

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2023, 06:59:43 PM »
They're both great albums. Bad Reputation is my second favorite Thin Lizzy album after Renegade. I'd put Jailbreak third, maybe fourth depending on the day, but they are both sweet spots for their "Classic" lineup.

I love this line in Dear Lord:
"Dear Lord take the time
I believe your story now you believe mine"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2023, 08:08:10 PM »
I never focus on lyrics early on in a listen, unless they are so good that they jump out at me, but the buddy who recommended Johnny the Fox last month has really talked up Phil Lynott as a lyricist, so I will try to pay a bit more attention to them as time goes on.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2023, 08:22:16 AM »
Okay, music fans, Jailbreak and Bad Reputation have been purchased and added to my iTunes and iPhone for future listening.  :tup :tup

I cannot promise I will get to them in the next day or two, but soon enough. I enjoyed the heck out of Johnny the Fox today when running some errands and decided I needed more, so I took the plunge and grabbed some more.  :coolio :coolio

You won't regret it. The Thin Lizzy rabbit hole I went down a few years back was rewarding. I'm still grabbing a disc here and there that I am missing (I think I just need Black Rose, the self-titled, and Renegade now - I have the rest).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2023, 09:20:47 AM »
Tonight there's going to be a jailbreak, somewhere in this town (apparently not necessarily AT the jail).  :)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2023, 09:22:03 AM »
Tonight there's going to be a jailbreak, somewhere in this town (apparently not necessarily AT the jail).  :)

That’s always gotten me.  :lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2023, 09:34:49 AM »
I mean, some towns have multiple jails...

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2023, 10:21:46 AM »

Offline HOF

« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2023, 10:45:40 AM »

The real question is if the guys all went to Dino’s after the jailbreak.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2023, 11:18:24 AM »

The real question is if the guys all went to Dino’s after the jailbreak.

Id have to say yes   that would make sense : )

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2023, 02:35:31 PM »
I never focus on lyrics early on in a listen, unless they are so good that they jump out at me, but the buddy who recommended Johnny the Fox last month has really talked up Phil Lynott as a lyricist, so I will try to pay a bit more attention to them as time goes on.

Yeah, he's more of a story teller, creating characters, and he's also quite self reflective. I think that's why I like Thin Lizzy and UFO so much because both Phil Lynott and Phil Mogg (UFO's singer) create these worlds and narratives that you can lose yourself in.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2023, 02:36:46 PM »
. I'm still grabbing a disc here and there that I am missing (I think I just need Black Rose, the self-titled, and Renegade now - I have the rest).

Renegade is essential. My favorite album by them.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2023, 02:38:24 PM »
Kev, I'm pretty sure you fancy yourself as a Pink Floyd guy, so you might be interested to know that Snowy White is in the band for both the Chinatown and Renegade albums.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #67 on: July 24, 2023, 03:17:52 PM »
I try not to fancy myself as anything :P :lol, but that is still noted. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #68 on: July 24, 2023, 03:23:32 PM »
I try not to fancy myself as anything :P :lol, but that is still noted.

True. You're anything but fancy. :lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: July 24, 2023, 03:43:59 PM »
. I'm still grabbing a disc here and there that I am missing (I think I just need Black Rose, the self-titled, and Renegade now - I have the rest).

Renegade is essential. My favorite album by them.

It's on the list my man!

Just picked up Chinatown a few weeks back.  :metal