Author Topic: Olivia Rodrigo - Sour  (Read 1206 times)

Offline XeRocks81

Olivia Rodrigo - Sour
« on: May 25, 2021, 10:09:20 AM »
anyone listen to her album? It just came out last week I think.  She seems like a very talented singer songwriter.  I think she’s what, 18 or something, and wrote the album when she was 17.   We were recently discussing how Taylor Swift’s lower register voice is really her strength well this kid has the opposite, her control over falsetto high notes is very impressive. 

https://youtu.be/ZmDBbnmKpqQ
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 08:40:41 PM by XeRocks81 »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Olivia Rodrigo - Sour
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2021, 12:20:42 PM »
Yes.  It's very good.  She has a lot of talent.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2021, 08:39:56 PM »
edit: double post

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2021, 08:33:25 PM »
This album is quite good.  I bought it on a whim after hearing a couple of the singles on YT and am impressed.  Anyone dismissing it because it is "just pop" is missing out.  It has a very warm and colorful sound, mostly avoids the dance beats that infect too many modern day pop songs, even rocks a little at times, and seems to avoid most or all of those awful modern pop tropes (like that stupid vocoder effect that sounds like a robot is singing).  Plus, Olivia has a helluva voice.  Very strong album.  If you are a fan of music, this album is for you.  :coolio :coolio   

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2021, 01:15:47 AM »
I think it's a fairly average album. There are some great heights though - songs like Deja Vu and Drivers License are very catchy and memorable. But the album also has a handful of songs that don't feel that good. What she has going for her though is a good voice and she might have a stronger second album in her. :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2021, 06:06:18 AM »
I think the middle part of the album is the best - the 3-song run of Deja Vu, Good 4 U and Enough for You, most notably - but even the lesser songs are solid enough to enjoy, and at 11 tracks and a running time of just under 35 minutes, it's an easy listen.  I like the rock bits in there, as that shows that maybe she won't be another one of those pop stars who dives into doing non-stop albums featuring dance pop songs. 

Offline Skeever

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2021, 08:08:08 AM »
I think it's a fairly average album. There are some great heights though - songs like Deja Vu and Drivers License are very catchy and memorable. But the album also has a handful of songs that don't feel that good. What she has going for her though is a good voice and she might have a stronger second album in her. :)

Pretty much agree with this. It's a good top 40 album but a lot of the songs on the back half lack any kind of spark for me. Perhaps a little bit more lyrical variety would have been nice.

I will have to plug that the code writer and producer on the album with the front band for one of my favorite emo albums of all time, As Tall As Lion's self-titled. Not that you would really be able to tell from the songs on this album but it's a cool fact.

Online TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2021, 10:43:08 AM »
Olivia Rodrigo is great, and she fits right in with the current landscape of popular music, which I will dub the “self made” era, with artists like her, Lizzo, and Billie Eilish being in charge of their own artistic vision, while mainstays like Taylor Swift are taking ownership of their art back from the industry. After almost two decades of stale industry driven pop, the new trend of artists doing what they want is refreshing and so far has led to the strongest and most diverse releases pop has seen in decades.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2021, 01:24:02 PM »
Olivia Rodrigo is great, and she fits right in with the current landscape of popular music, which I will dub the “self made” era, with artists like her, Lizzo, and Billie Eilish being in charge of their own artistic vision, while mainstays like Taylor Swift are taking ownership of their art back from the industry. After almost two decades of stale industry driven pop, the new trend of artists doing what they want is refreshing and so far has led to the strongest and most diverse releases pop has seen in decades.

Well said.  As someone who grew up loving pop music in the 80's, and who is always a sucker for a catchy tune, I'd love to see a major resurgence in good pop music.   Seeing some of these stars taking ownership and writing their own songs, even with a partner or two, is really nice to see. Granted, the "songwriting by committee" approach has worked wonderfully for mega superstars like Rihanna and Beyonce, but I will always think a little more of artists who have their fingerprints all over the DNA of the songs they release. 

Offline Skeever

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2021, 05:41:08 AM »

Can't really see your point. Olivia Rodrigo was a Disney channel mainstay before this like many others. And the others are all now on major labels working with the top producers.

The only thing I really get from this post is that the marketing department must be knocking it out of the park.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2021, 05:50:01 AM »

Well said.  As someone who grew up loving pop music in the 80's, and who is always a sucker for a catchy tune, I'd love to see a major resurgence in good pop music.   Seeing some of these stars taking ownership and writing their own songs, even with a partner or two, is really nice to see. Granted, the "songwriting by committee" approach has worked wonderfully for mega superstars like Rihanna and Beyonce, but I will always think a little more of artists who have their fingerprints all over the DNA of the songs they release.

Why do you think those artists didn't have their "fingerprints all over the DNA" of their songs?

Offline proggycat

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2021, 06:04:39 AM »
It's not a bad album but it's not particularly unique either
Day after day, and night after night

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2021, 06:37:30 AM »

Why do you think those artists didn't have their "fingerprints all over the DNA" of their songs?

I don't know that for sure, but I will come at this from a different angle: there is a big difference between songwriting and performance.  Take Whitney Houston.  Incredible voice, probably one of the best ever (not one of my favorites, but I won't quibble over that since she obviously had pipes most of us would kill for), but couldn't write a song to save her life, so while her DNA was non-existent when it came to the writing of the songs she performed, she put her DNA all over the song with her voice and her performances.  And there is obviously great value in that.

But take a great singer, who is a great singer and nothing more. That is like watching a great actor in a film that isn't very good at times.  You need the great writing to bring out the best in the actor.  Same goes for music.  And someone who can write AND perform will always have much great value to me that someone who can perform but maybe not write.  Now, I am not saying the examples that I used, Beyonce and Rihanna, cannot write, but it seems like they always use the writing by committee approach.  A quick scan of a few of both of their albums shows that there are always 5-10 (or more!) writers on literally every song.  And I get that collaboration is a trademark in music, but it does make me wonder if either would be capable of sitting down and writing an entire album on their own that would then be successful the way someone like Taylor Swift has (with Speak Now).   

And this brings me back to what I said the other day, as I like seeing some of these younger stars writing more on their own, or maybe only collaborating with one of two people, rather than bringing in a team of writers to piece together a song.  The allure of success would make it easy to give in and let others do the heavy lifting when it comes to songwriting to make it big, but I love when artists have the balls to basically say, "I am going to do it my way and write my own songs, and if I fail, at least I gave it my best shot."  That is something to be admired in that mentality, IMO. 

Forgive if I am rambling or was a bit all over the place, but that is the best way I can explain it while still half asleep. :lol ;)

Offline Skeever

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2021, 08:41:50 AM »
I think I know what you mean. But I guess I just don't really see how the number of songwriters being greater necessarily equals the amount of personal involvement an artist has on their album. To use this as an example, Olivia Rodrigo has worked with primarily one songwriter on the whole thing, who I assume is responsible for most of the musical ideas, and her own commentary signifies that the lyrics are also a collaboration as there is only one song that she wrote by herself (this is something she herself said in her commentary on one of the tracks, with the added note that she was surprised "they" let her do it).

You contrast that with Taylor who obviously writes a lot of her own music and lyrics but works closely with producers who stylize it and make it marketable. Or like you said, beyoncé, I don't know what she does at all with her music, but I know that Lemonade is something that no other current pop artist could pass off as their own but her, even if there are a thousand people in the credits. Olivia Rodrigo may have only worked with one or two other primary song writers on this album but there's nothing about it that screams so unique to me that it couldn't just as well be any other starlette's album.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2021, 10:12:05 AM »
I am unfamiliar with Lemonade, but that likely goes back to my earlier point about Beyonce's DNA being all over the performance and making it hers, rather than her DNA being all over the songwriting itself (a quick glance shows that you need more than one hand to count the songwriters on nearly half the songs).   And I am not arguing against Beyonce, of whom I know little about (regarding her music), merely arguing for the songwriters who do it on their own or with limited collaborators.

As for producers, their importance in music can never be overstated. Would The Beatles be The Beatles without George Martin?  Would Michael Jackson have been the king of pop (and seemingly the world for a stretch) without Quincy Jones?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2023, 08:26:42 PM »
I figured this would be worth a bump to say that Olivia's new album, Guts, is pretty great.  It came out early last month, and I have already gotten a lot of mileage out of it.  And it's as much a rock record as it is a pop rock.  It figures that the two least best songs were two of the first three singles (Get Him Back and Bad Idea, Right), but the deeper cuts on this record are excellent. A very fun record.