Author Topic: Tell me about Johnny the Fox by Thin Lizzy  (Read 4099 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Tell me about Johnny the Fox by Thin Lizzy
« on: June 20, 2023, 08:28:50 PM »
I will be tackling this record in the next week. 

What am I in store for?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Tell me about Johnny the Fox by Thin Lizzy
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2023, 08:34:19 PM »
How versed are you in Thin Lizzy? What do you already know by them? Just looking for reference points.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2023, 08:36:59 PM »
I can count on one hand the number of songs I know by them (the classic rock staples).

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2023, 08:38:08 PM »
Why Johnnie The Fox?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2023, 08:42:49 PM »
Why Johnnie The Fox?

Probably wants an in with Jimmy the Weed.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2023, 08:54:52 PM »
Kev, I'll follow up with this in the morning. Like I asked, just wondering why you're picking this album?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2023, 09:00:17 PM »
The buddy I do album reviews with in real life :lol picked it.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2023, 09:18:15 PM »
I go back and forth between Johnny the Fox and Jailbreak being my second favorite Thin Lizzy record, both behind Black Rose.

I will say the opening track Johnny is a fantastic song to start the album with. I love that song.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2023, 09:49:54 PM »
 :heart :tup :hefdaddy
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2023, 09:52:52 PM »
I go back and forth between Johnny the Fox and Jailbreak being my second favorite Thin Lizzy record, both behind Black Rose.

I will say the opening track Johnny is a fantastic song to start the album with. I love that song.

Jailbreak   album is beyond stellar its pristine perfection
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2023, 06:34:44 AM »

I put it on par with Black Rose, but that means I have 5 other albums ahead of both of them.

Kev, I love Thin Lizzy. I rank them as my #6 all time favorite band.

Thin Lizzy had 12 albums, even though I hardly ever listen to the first three albums and pretty much discount them. Chronologically, Johnny The Fox is the 7th album and the 4th of the 5 classic Brian Robertson Era albums.

It sits right between Jailbreak (which came before) and Bad Reputation (which followed), two albums that I like a lot more. They're both heavier and more consistent.

But I really do enjoy Johnny The Fox. It has a more laid back feel Even the rocking songs like Johnny and Rocky sound a bit tame. Perhaps it's the production. There's a number of really cool mellow and reflective songs. Phil Lynott is really convincing with his emotive storytelling.

My favorite song on the album is Don't Believe A Word.
Def Leppard did a nice cover of it on their Yeah! album
It's kind of a rocking tune, but Phil original wrote it as a slower piece. You can hear what he envisioned on Gary Moore's Back On The Streets album with Phil singing the verses and Gary the chorus.

Another song I really love is Borderline. This is classic Phil. He effectively paints a picture of sitting at a bar, you feel like you're literally sitting there with him. Just a great tune.

The heaviest song is Massacre. It's a great tune, but almost feels out of place on this particular album.
Iron Maiden did a cover as a b-side during the Seventh Son sessions.

All in all, this album feels a tad incomplete. It's the second album they released in 1976, and it just feels pumped out. I just don't think the other "rocking" songs like Johnny, Rocky, and Boogie Woogie Dance (WTF is this?) are on par with the songs on the Jailbreak or Bad Reputation. But Jonnie The Fox is a really nice listen. I do like the softer songs as well like Old Flame and Fool's Gold. I think Phil is fairly captivating on this album.
I don't think this is a great place to start with Thin Lizzy, but it's a good album to pull back the covers and get a glimpse of what makes Phil Lynott such an attraction.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2023, 08:17:13 AM »
Okay, thanks for the thoughts.

I got through a few songs this morning.  I like how open the sound is. You can hear every instrument pretty well. 

More feedback to come...

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2023, 10:01:06 AM »
TAC IS THE MAN !!!

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2023, 10:02:58 AM »
To Me  ( and I saw them 2 times ..) Thin Lizzy is born on Live and Dangerous which is considered the greatest live album in Rock history

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2023, 01:21:56 PM »
I’m sure I’m not the first to notice this, but Fool’s Gold sounds like Hit Me With Your Best Shot by Pat Benatar.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2023, 04:23:56 PM »
I’m sure I’m not the first to notice this, but Fool’s Gold sounds like Hit Me With Your Best Shot by Pat Benatar.

cool observation   I think Metallica played Whisky in the Jar the other show

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2023, 05:13:28 PM »
I've never made the connection before.

The beginning riff to Johnny has always kind of reminded me of Smooth Criminal.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2023, 05:29:48 PM »
Fools Gold - never made the connection to Best Shot but I can see what you mean.

Johnny - also never made the connection to Smooth Criminal but yeah once again I can see what you mean.

As for this album, not my favourite. I love the song Massacre but that is really because of the Live and Dangerous version. The album version is so tame and laid back sounding in comparison.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2023, 06:47:39 PM »
The beginning riff to Johnny has always kind of reminded me of Smooth Criminal.
Damnit, now I can't unhear this  :lol

This even more so!! That chord progression is basically Hit Me With Your Best Shot.... :rollin
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2023, 07:05:02 PM »
I am guessing Phil Lynott was an influence on Steve Harris, right?  I get major Maiden vibes from a few of these songs, especially Massacre.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2023, 07:06:21 PM »
Yes! There's an undeniable Lizzy's influence on Maiden music...

(and, as Tim pointed out, IM did indeed cover Massacre...)

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2023, 07:06:44 PM »
I am guessing Phil Lynott was an influence on Steve Harris, right?  I get major Maiden vibes from a few of these songs, especially Massacre.
Yeah, Steve Harris has mentioned Lynott being a big influence in various interviews.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2023, 07:07:25 PM »

Thin Lizzy is one of the biggest influences of Iron Maiden. Brian Robertson and Scott Gorham basically perfected the harmonized guitar approach. It's the basis of what Dave Murray and Adrian Smith made famous in the 80's.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2023, 07:08:01 PM »

I put it on par with Black Rose, but that means I have 5 other albums ahead of both of them.

Kev, I love Thin Lizzy. I rank them as my #6 all time favorite band.

Thin Lizzy had 12 albums, even though I hardly ever listen to the first three albums and pretty much discount them. Chronologically, Johnny The Fox is the 7th album and the 4th of the 5 classic Brian Robertson Era albums.

It sits right between Jailbreak (which came before) and Bad Reputation (which followed), two albums that I like a lot more. They're both heavier and more consistent.

But I really do enjoy Johnny The Fox. It has a more laid back feel Even the rocking songs like Johnny and Rocky sound a bit tame. Perhaps it's the production. There's a number of really cool mellow and reflective songs. Phil Lynott is really convincing with his emotive storytelling.

My favorite song on the album is Don't Believe A Word.
Def Leppard did a nice cover of it on their Yeah! album
It's kind of a rocking tune, but Phil original wrote it as a slower piece. You can hear what he envisioned on Gary Moore's Back On The Streets album with Phil singing the verses and Gary the chorus.

Another song I really love is Borderline. This is classic Phil. He effectively paints a picture of sitting at a bar, you feel like you're literally sitting there with him. Just a great tune.

The heaviest song is Massacre. It's a great tune, but almost feels out of place on this particular album.
Iron Maiden did a cover as a b-side during the Seventh Son sessions.

All in all, this album feels a tad incomplete. It's the second album they released in 1976, and it just feels pumped out. I just don't think the other "rocking" songs like Johnny, Rocky, and Boogie Woogie Dance (WTF is this?) are on par with the songs on the Jailbreak or Bad Reputation. But Jonnie The Fox is a really nice listen. I do like the softer songs as well like Old Flame and Fool's Gold. I think Phil is fairly captivating on this album.
I don't think this is a great place to start with Thin Lizzy, but it's a good album to pull back the covers and get a glimpse of what makes Phil Lynott such an attraction.

Real nice commentary...I basically agree on all points...

What's your favorite Thin Lizzy album, Tim? Mine might be obvious, but I gotta go with Jailbreak...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2023, 07:10:07 PM »
Okay, gotcha.  Hard to remember everything I have read in this thread, but the Maiden vibes kept hitting me throughout this first listen.  I was a bit surprised by how mellow it was overall, but it sounded pretty good overall.  I really like how open the sound is.  More listens to come.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2023, 07:13:48 PM »
Kev - you mentioned you don't know many of their songs, except for the staples, right?

After this, you should definitely check out, at a minimum, Jailbreak, Bad Reputation, Fighting and Black Rose (the latter with Gary Moore on guitar)...Lynott was such a unique songwriter...even the way he was fitting words and phrases with the music...wonderful stuff.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2023, 07:15:55 PM »
Kev - you mentioned you don't know many of their songs, except for the staples, right?

After this, you should definitely check out, at a minimum, Jailbreak, Bad Reputation, Fighting and Black Rose (the latter with Gary Moore on guitar)...Lynott was such a unique songwriter...even the way he was fitting words and phrases with the music...wonderful stuff.

This will have to hit me pretty hard to go down the rabbit hole of checking out other albums right away, as our reviews these days consist of bouncing from one artist to the next, but you never know.  I didn't expect to go down the rabbit hole of any of the artists I have gotten into in a big way in the last 5-6 years (XTC, R.E.M, Alanis, Taylor S, Maiden), so we shall see if this becomes a band I cannot pry out of my "CD player."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2023, 07:18:53 PM »
Okay, gotcha.  Hard to remember everything I have read in this thread, but the Maiden vibes kept hitting me throughout this first listen.  I was a bit surprised by how mellow it was overall, but it sounded pretty good overall.  I really like how open the sound is.  More listens to come.

Not including their first three albums that don't count.. ;D, Johnny The Fox is quite mellow compared to the rest of their catalog, especially what came after. But it has a ton of character.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2023, 07:22:57 PM »
What's your favorite Thin Lizzy album, Tim? Mine might be obvious, but I gotta go with Jailbreak...

My favorite is Renegade, followed by Bad Reputation. I'd list Jailbreak or Thunder And Lightning third.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2023, 07:32:49 PM »
Yeah, Steve Harris has mentioned Lynott being a big influence in various interviews.

Like Tim .... Thin Lizzy is a top 3 band for me.   Lynott is a DIETY   a true Legend,.. THE MAN

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2023, 07:37:45 PM »

Not including their first three albums that don't count.. ;D, Johnny The Fox is quite mellow compared to the rest of their catalog, especially what came after. But it has a ton of character.

:tup :tup

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2023, 07:39:32 PM »

My favorite is Renegade, followed by Bad Reputation. I'd list Jailbreak or Thunder And Lightning third.
, Ch

for me... just being nostalgic it has the be JAILBREAK, Bad Reputation, Fighting, Chinatown,  Thunder,  Renegade.. id put L A D first but its just too fkn stellar and can not be categorized lol 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2023, 07:39:52 PM »
The last song on the last Thin Lizzy album is Heart Attack.

These are the lyrics:

Mama, I'm dying of a heart attack, heart attack, heart attack
I love that girl but she don't love me back
My girl, she tells me that we're breaking up, breaking up, breaking up
My heart can't handle the strain that's shaking it

She tried to tell me no so long ago
I would not listen but now I know

Papa, I'm drinking for an overload, overload, overload
The gun in my pocket is all ready to explode
Papa, I'm dying of an overdose, overdose, overdose
I tried to warn you don't come too close

I tried to tell you way back when we were young
I tried to warn you there was something wrong

Mama, I'm dying
Oh Papa, I'm dying, dying, dying, dying, dying
Mama, I'm dying
Oh Papa, I'm dying, dying, dying, dying
Mama, I'm dying
Mama, I'm dying
Heart attack

Haunting..

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2023, 07:42:01 PM »
I agree Tim,... Phil always wrote about his downfall and his wild life... he was unbelievable

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2023, 07:44:30 PM »
The last song on the last Thin Lizzy album is Heart Attack.

These are the lyrics:

Mama, I'm dying of a heart attack, heart attack, heart attack
I love that girl but she don't love me back
My girl, she tells me that we're breaking up, breaking up, breaking up
My heart can't handle the strain that's shaking it

She tried to tell me no so long ago
I would not listen but now I know

Papa, I'm drinking for an overload, overload, overload
The gun in my pocket is all ready to explode
Papa, I'm dying of an overdose, overdose, overdose
I tried to warn you don't come too close

I tried to tell you way back when we were young
I tried to warn you there was something wrong

Mama, I'm dying
Oh Papa, I'm dying, dying, dying, dying, dying
Mama, I'm dying
Mama, I'm dying
Mama, I'm dying
Heart attack

Haunting..

haunting....Phil    Old Town

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXOrak1nhQo&list=RDNXOrak1nhQo&start_radio=1&ab_channel=ThinLizzyLegend