Author Topic: OK Goodnight- The Fox and the Bird  (Read 6821 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: OK Goodnight- The Fox and the Bird
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2023, 02:14:18 PM »
Listened to this one today.  Really nice.

Some of the lyrics seemed a little hokey to me, which is always a danger with a concept album, but hopefully the music is good enough to balance that out, and this case it certainly was.  Very tasty.

Hard not to have hokey lyrics with a story about a fox and a bird on a mystical quest from a raccoon to save their forest from a drought. I will admit, for me at least, the lyrical elements surrounding the birds death and the fox's story from there are, paired with her amazing voice, very strong.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2023, 02:17:33 PM »
Listened to this one today.  Really nice.

Some of the lyrics seemed a little hokey to me, which is always a danger with a concept album, but hopefully the music is good enough to balance that out, and this case it certainly was.  Very tasty.

Hard not to have hokey lyrics with a story about a fox and a bird on a mystical quest from a raccoon to save their forest from a drought. I will admit, for me at least, the lyrical elements surrounding the birds death and the fox's story from there are, paired with her amazing voice, very strong.

I think I remember this episode of The Animals of Farthing Wood.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2023, 03:22:01 PM »
Actually, I found the concept, the lyrics, and the entire story to be a bit refreshing.

EDIT - just a clarification that I have not received my CD of the entire album yet. But from what I gather so far of the above I have really enjoyed.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2023, 04:43:40 PM »
Actually, I found the concept, the lyrics, and the entire story to be a bit refreshing.

EDIT - just a clarification that I have not received my CD of the entire album yet. But from what I gather so far of the above I have really enjoyed.

Personally as someone who has Watership Down in their top 5 all time books, I adore the story, I love me a good animal centered folk epic, but I totally see Hef's point too.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2023, 10:16:55 AM »
It wasn't hokey enough to be too hokey for me.  I loved the album.  I was just expressing a point of view.

And I couldn't stand Watership Down.   :biggrin:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2023, 10:41:43 AM »

And I couldn't stand Watership Down.   :biggrin:

*moves Hef down a peg on my coolness scale*

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2023, 11:17:43 AM »
The Nightmare is fucking crazy.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2023, 11:56:25 AM »
Still pretty fucking high
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2023, 12:01:30 PM »
Still pretty fucking high

Hef on my scale...

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2023, 01:08:12 PM »
 :lol

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2023, 06:58:38 AM »
So, I listened to their debut album yesterday afternoon.  I've gotta say, this band is very impressive.  Really interesting compositions, with open arrangements, giving each instrumentalist or vocalist plenty of ROOM, not competing with densely stacked layers of sound.  All of the solos are extremely tasty, and not once did I get a sense of bloat in any song.

All in all, one of my favorite musical discoveries of the year.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2023, 07:11:31 AM »
Downloaded the album on Spotify. Will listen today.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Adami

« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2023, 10:18:57 AM »
Finally listened to this.

First, the singer is amazing. Wow!

I really like parts of the music, but some of it really feels like prog 101. I blame the drummer for much of that. Clearly a super talented drummer but so many of his beats are the typical odd time prog shuffles that I’ve heard a million times and sounded redundant on the album being used so often.

But a lot of the music is great. Just wish the drummer gets more personality and changes things up on their next album.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2023, 01:59:10 PM »
Finally listened to this.

First, the singer is amazing. Wow!

I really like parts of the music, but some of it really feels like prog 101. I blame the drummer for much of that. Clearly a super talented drummer but so many of his beats are the typical odd time prog shuffles that I’ve heard a million times and sounded redundant on the album being used so often.

But a lot of the music is great. Just wish the drummer gets more personality and changes things up on their next album.

Totally agree on Casey's vocals, as well as the other singer Elizabeth Hull, they're both tremendous.

Disagree on the drummer, I think he's another highlight and .

I wouldn't hold your breath on another album, the guitarists is leaving after their short upcoming tour, and I think he's a driving force to the band. I mean, I hope we'll see more, but it's not sounding promising.

Online Adami

« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2023, 02:26:25 PM »
I get that. I just felt the drums kept reverting back to a typical prog shuffle that I’ve heard a million times before.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2023, 03:04:05 PM »
Any word on why he’s leaving?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2023, 03:37:06 PM »
Any word on why he’s leaving?

He's basically losing interest in the band... Here's his post...

Dear friends,

I decided to leave Ok Goodnight. The past couple of years have weighed heavy on me for some reason and I realized this decision was for the best.

Dealing with all the aspects of being in a band that wanted very different things made me start to lose my passion for music, and after trying hard to overcome those feelings I wasn’t able to find my passion in this band anymore.

But before my departure, we finished an entire album which will be coming out on June 2nd. We will also play a release show together so I hope it’s a nice send off!

Now that we’re past the sad stuff, I really wanted to say thank you for all these years supporting Ok Goodnight and me as a part of the band. I’m very grateful for all the music we did together and I hope you continue to support them in all their musical endeavors!

I will not stop making music ever. I love it. I just need a different path and I will be releasing a lot more music for many years to come 

Much love,
Marty

Offline jammindude

« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2023, 04:55:56 PM »
I wonder if the reaction will make anybody change their minds. It really seems like this album is getting a lot of legs. At least from what I can tell.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2023, 05:34:51 PM »
Seems like lots of good albums come from frustrations within the band.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2023, 09:36:58 AM »
So I got my hardcopies of both of their CDs and a T-shirt in the mail yesterday. I just finished my first full spin of The Fox and the Bird and….wow!!!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2023, 09:40:16 AM »
Got my shirt the other day as well, gonna rock it at the Tarja show tomorrow night. I went with the HD download, sounds so good.

The Mountain has literally been in my head for a week now...

"You'd remind me of the trees and the breeze that brought us here...you'd tell me... to pick up my feet and.... RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!"

Fucking amazing. :hefdaddy

Offline jammindude

« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2023, 07:41:18 PM »
I cannot get enough of this album. I’m literally spinning it over and over again nonstop. The layers are just hitting me like a pan galactic gargle blaster.

If anybody knows of another band that is this all over the place I’m all ears. Because I feel like I’m in heaven right now. I mean…the first track sounds a bit like Florence and the Machine. The next few tracks are a bit 10,000 Maniacs-ish. But but then they can almost go to BTBAM extremes on other tracks.

It’s the extreme diversity contained within a single album that’s really connecting with me right now.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2023, 10:27:59 PM »
Don't know if you have Instagram, but they did a lengthy livestream today where they answered a ton of Dan questions... I popped in and out of it, interesting stuff.

Here's a link to it... https://www.instagram.com/tv/CuNeyNupGHC/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Offline jammindude

« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2023, 10:38:25 PM »
Don't know if you have Instagram, but they did a lengthy livestream today where they answered a ton of Dan questions... I popped in and out of it, interesting stuff.

Here's a link to it... https://www.instagram.com/tv/CuNeyNupGHC/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

I did watch it. I was just bummed that I missed the live stream.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2023, 04:08:57 AM »
So how prevalent are these "tasteful" growls?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2023, 04:13:56 AM »

Tastefully prevalent.  ;D

Give it a listen. It’s a real nice album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #61 on: July 03, 2023, 04:27:40 AM »

Hmm  :\

Listening to the shared youtube track and its a bit busy... I'm getting old.  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #62 on: July 03, 2023, 04:33:54 AM »

Listening to the shared youtube track and its a bit busy... I'm getting old.  :lol

Paul, there’s a lot of variety on the album. You might end up skipping a track or two but there’s plenty there you’d like.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #63 on: July 03, 2023, 04:44:34 AM »

Paul, there’s a lot of variety on the album. You might end up skipping a track or two but there’s plenty there you’d like.

i'll give it a go on your recommendation. Don't think I've said that for a long time!!!  :rollin

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #64 on: July 03, 2023, 04:50:31 AM »
Listening to the debut as I can't access Spotify at work. I'm loving the riff to Think Again.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #65 on: July 03, 2023, 05:12:02 AM »
I'm really enjoying the debut. What a fine album.

Online NoFred

« Reply #66 on: July 10, 2023, 12:40:05 AM »
I keep coming back to this one, thanks to this thread for making me aware it’s worth the first few listens. Songs might not seem remarkable but the total album experience is top notch .

Offline jammindude

« Reply #67 on: July 10, 2023, 11:20:56 AM »
I keep coming back to this one, thanks to this thread for making me aware it’s worth the first few listens. Songs might not seem remarkable but the total album experience is top notch .

It’s almost a hard album to recommend because there’s no one song that gives you any idea of the band’s “sound”.  If you show someone the title track, they wouldn’t get the right idea of what this band sounds like. But if you were to show someone The Bear or The Crocodile, it still wouldn’t accurately convey what this band is about. You almost HAVE to hear the entire album.

I literally can’t stop spinning it. I’ve been listening to the album on repeat since I got it and it just keeps getting better with every listen.

I’m not getting that same experience from the debut or the EP, but there are some good moments.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #68 on: July 10, 2023, 11:42:49 AM »
I somehow completely missed this thread here. I stumbled on these guys because I was looking into a bass player that guested on the new Nita Strauss album. Looking up his history lead me to this band as he played on some of their early material. I just got the shipping notice that my 2 CD's have shipped. Should have them later this week.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline nick_z

« Reply #69 on: July 10, 2023, 11:46:31 AM »

It’s almost a hard album to recommend because there’s no one song that gives you any idea of the band’s “sound”.  If you show someone the title track, they wouldn’t get the right idea of what this band sounds like. But if you were to show someone The Bear or The Crocodile, it still wouldn’t accurately convey what this band is about. You almost HAVE to hear the entire album.

Yep, that's true.

I don't love everything on this, but I agree that it's a great album experience. It sure is telling that I keep going back to it.