Author Topic: OK Goodnight- The Fox and the Bird  (Read 6815 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: OK Goodnight- The Fox and the Bird
« Reply #140 on: September 07, 2023, 01:46:38 PM »
What are Grados?

It's a brand of headphones..they range from around a c-note to over 2k a pair. Mine are around 300 and are beyond amazing, they're open ended so the sound has a more open room feel to it.

Cool!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #141 on: September 07, 2023, 02:36:23 PM »
Off-topic, but what do you do during dedicated listens exactly? I am trying to find a good way to do that. Just laying in bed? Taking a long walk? Playing video games? Pretty interested in what you or others do.
When I do a fully dedicated listen to an album, I listen to it on my screened-in porch with a cigar and a glass of bourbon.  No other activities.

But those are kind of rare.

I know. *slowly hides binoculars*

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #142 on: January 09, 2024, 08:00:19 PM »
So, a few months later what's everyone's read on exactly how the end of the story plays out? Lyrics aren't normally my strong suit when it comes to music, but I'm sharing this album with some people in a music discord this weekend and it seems like there's a bit of ambiguity/not one established canonical take on it. My view so far is that the bird dies after the encounter with the crocodile, the fox has the final showdown with the bear on the mountain, the bear dies when the cliff gives way, and the fox dies on the mountain but having succeeded in bringing the rain back to their home.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #143 on: January 09, 2024, 08:20:34 PM »
So, a few months later what's everyone's read on exactly how the end of the story plays out? Lyrics aren't normally my strong suit when it comes to music, but I'm sharing this album with some people in a music discord this weekend and it seems like there's a bit of ambiguity/not one established canonical take on it. My view so far is that the bird dies after the encounter with the crocodile, the fox has the final showdown with the bear on the mountain, the bear dies when the cliff gives way, and the fox dies on the mountain but having succeeded in bringing the rain back to their home.

This is my take as well. While the story never states exactly who dies, I can’t picture the bird saying “feet” at the climax of The Mountain.

The whole ending moves me to tears. This is such an amazing album.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #144 on: January 26, 2024, 01:03:50 PM »
Just an update on the audio issue.

Those of us who are full on from the CD generation know what it sounds like when you have a lens on your player that’s dirty? Or out of alignment? Sometimes it’s a dirty disc too, but it’s that digital scratching noise?

I was hearing that really badly at the very beginning of The Drought and during the quiet piano intro to The Journey. At first, I thought it was my car’s disc player, so I decided to burn a FLAC file from the disc and then listen to it that way. But the sound was still there. That was the reason for my original complaint.  Now that I’ve got the original FLAC files directly from the band I noticed that the noise was completely non-existent in The Drought (thank goodness) but when I was cranking The Journey yesterday, I still heard that very mild scratching sound…though not NEARLY as noticeable…at the beginning of The Journey.   Is anyone else hearing that noise? It’s definitely worse on the CD, but I’m still hearing it ever so slightly on the files and I’m wondering if it’s somehow intentional? Or a glitch in the original file? Or am I the only one that hears it?

That sound at the start of The Journey is probably intentional (it sounds weird though), but I was listening to The Mountain just now and noticed there's some bad clipping during the quiet section right before the climax. You can hear it pretty clearly on the "so close and yet so far" line. It sounds like the audio file for the keyboards got fucked up somehow. I don't have a CD but it's on both my Bandcamp digital copy and the Spotify upload. Gonna take another point off the whole album for that blunder. :neverusethis:

Anyways, I like this album a lot. It's got some speed bumps in the middle (I don't think The Nightmare or The Dream add much to the album) but I love the lush, subtly-jazzy sound of it, even during the heavier songs. Killer vocals too, both from Casey and Elizabeth.

Song ranking because fuck it we DTF

1: The Fox And The Bird
2: The Bear
3: The Falcon
4: The Mountain
5: The Drought
6: The Bird
7: The Snake
8: The Raccoon (And The Myth)
9: The Journey
10: The Rain
11: The Crocodile
12: The Dream
13: The Nightmare
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #145 on: February 09, 2024, 10:15:00 AM »
US tour announced :dangerwillrobinson:

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #146 on: February 09, 2024, 11:04:54 AM »
Damn, nothing even close to me down in FL.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #147 on: February 09, 2024, 11:12:31 AM »
I may do Sacramento and Berkeley, especially if work permits it

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #148 on: February 09, 2024, 11:14:32 AM »

But they're not even Japanese!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #149 on: February 09, 2024, 11:25:30 AM »

But they're not even Japanese!
:lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #150 on: February 09, 2024, 11:27:47 AM »

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #151 on: February 09, 2024, 11:44:45 AM »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #152 on: February 09, 2024, 12:13:29 PM »
 :censored :censored :censored :censored

I have plans in stone for that weekend they trek to the Pacific Northwest. Feeling annoyed.

I don’t think a trip to San Diego is in the cards, but I’m thinking about it.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #153 on: February 09, 2024, 02:39:18 PM »
got a ticket for denver
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #154 on: February 10, 2024, 09:13:24 AM »
I just checked out the other two bands and they sound fantastic as well.

The issue is that I have my JW summer convention that 3 day weekend, and yes…it means more to me than any concert.

I’m thinking more and more that I might just go to the show anyway. I can go to day one of the convention on Friday and the show Friday night, but it means getting home at midnight on a Friday and having to wake up at 6am to get ready for day 2 of the convention.  If I were still 30, this would be a piece of cake. But at 54, it’s a bit tougher.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #155 on: February 10, 2024, 09:22:38 AM »

The issue is that I have my JW summer convention that 3 day weekend, and yes…it means more to me than any concert.

I’m thinking more and more that I might just go to the show anyway. I can go to day one of the convention on Friday and the show Friday night, but it means getting home at midnight on a Friday and having to wake up at 6am to get ready for day 2 of the convention.  If I were still 30, this would be a piece of cake. But at 54, it’s a bit tougher.

Give me a break. You can do that! Jeesh.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #156 on: February 10, 2024, 09:32:41 AM »

Just like you could come to the Cambridge show that I'll also be going to :neverusethis:
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline jammindude

« Reply #157 on: February 10, 2024, 09:47:20 AM »

Just like you could come to the Cambridge show that I'll also be going to :neverusethis:

I did briefly toy with the idea of traveling to another show. But GOOD GRIEF!!! Plane tickets, and two nights in a hostel were going to cost me 400 bucks to go to either San Diego or Chicago.  Then you have to take into account the tickets, the VIP package, the food, the Uber to get around…. it starts adding up really fast. So I bagged that idea.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #158 on: February 10, 2024, 09:50:32 AM »

Trust me. My brain and my heart both tell me this will be no problem whatsoever.  But it all starts when my body starts reminding my brain the way it feels every time I try to do something that used to be easy…and doesn’t feel that easy anymore.  Then my brain goes, “oh ya, I remember that now. That sucked!”

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #159 on: February 11, 2024, 12:54:59 AM »
I'm so glad I opened this mysterious thread tonight and gave The Fox & The Bird a listen. It was exactly what I needed. And the timing is perfect because they're coming to Portland soon!  :metal
Thank you all!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #160 on: February 11, 2024, 03:04:37 PM »

Trust me. My brain and my heart both tell me this will be no problem whatsoever.  But it all starts when my body starts reminding my brain the way it feels every time I try to do something that used to be easy…and doesn’t feel that easy anymore.  Then my brain goes, “oh ya, I remember that now. That sucked!”

I can speak as one who just did a out and back from SF to LA in less than a day with a 3 hour Haken show in between...it's totally fucking worth it.

God wants you to be happy, he wants you at the OK Goodnight show bud.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #161 on: February 12, 2024, 06:04:11 AM »
A little biased because I know two people in the band but Lines In The Sky are awesome and a good compliment to the line up.  It just sucks that they are not really coming near the eastern US except for the first show, which isn’t really close to me anyways.